Why do you believe in God, Jesus, or an afterlife?

GorillaTheater

I believe in God because there's a lot about the universe that doesn't make sense without Him in the picture.

By the same token, I don't understand why the hell He does half the stuff He does.

• Like 6
  • Author
Since the topic is why do you believe in God and not "why I think it's stupid" I don't understand the posts about NOT believing. I believe in God because in my own life I have seen the value of faith.

I've seen a lot of value in faith too. It's helped me through some difficult times. So it's more emotional that I believe. It's more that I want it to be real. Faith is a coping mechanism. Religion is a response to what we don't understand.

• Like 2
  • Author
I believe in God because there's a lot about the universe that doesn't make sense without Him in the picture.

By the same token, I don't understand why the hell He does half the stuff He does.

What doesn't make sense without God in the picture?

I don't think God plays an active role in our daily lives. Obviously, that is just my opinion based on my experiences.

• Like 1
GorillaTheater
What doesn't make sense without God in the picture?

A lot of things from the mechanics of an eyeball to the waltz of galaxies.

• Like 5
truthtripper
I've always questioned God's existence, but, until recently, the answer never really mattered. I've dipped in and out of church. I've had periods where I didn't believe in God/Jesus, and I've had periods where I believed 100%. I've come to a point where I need something to hold onto, something to believe in, and I naturally looked to my faith to fill that hole. The only problem is that I have a difficult time believing in God and Christianity. It seems like faith matters a lot right now, but I'm coming up short on it. I've read books on apologetics, and those just don't work. I don't feel belief in my heart.

So I'd love to hear why you believe in God, Jesus, and/or an after life. Life seems pretty grim without at least one of those things. At least to me.

If there is no afterlife, what is the point of this life? I believe the afterlife defines this life.

Cablebandit
A lot of things from the mechanics of an eyeball to the waltz of galaxies.

both of those have been explained and shown how they form by science.

GorillaTheater
both of those have been explained and shown how they form by science.

Well, not to my satisfaction, apparently.

Look, I'm just responding to the OP's question. I have even less desire to debate religion than I do politics.

• Like 3
Cablebandit
Well, not to my satisfaction, apparently.

Look, I'm just responding to the OP's question. I have even less desire to debate religion than I do politics.

understood. Enjoy your weekend and I'll leave you alone on that subject...HUGS

• Like 1

Is there a god? I can't say for sure but what I am convinced about is that the bible isn't "the truth". Christianity us just a made up religion like the rest. No Jesus, no salvation, no special place for you.... sorry.

Have you ever wondered why it takes faith to believe in god? Because there is no external evidence to his existence. IMO, brainwashing is the only way someone would believe in god (more specifically the god of the bible).

Don't think that's true? Then why is the bible proclaimed to be absolute truth no matter what? Christians are taught not to think, but to believe by faith.

I agree with this. Like all religions, Christianity was created by man. Complete with its own set of rigid rules, structure and beliefs. And their job (in the early days) was to preach and yes essentially brainwash people into believing their "way" was the right way and the only way. Apparently, it stuck because Christianity is alive and well today and adhered to by many many people.

All religions preach this, Christianity is no different.

The Bible was written by man. You might be surprised to learn there were many gospels NOT included in the Bible-New Testament (which was written by MAN approx 600 YEARS after Jesus died) because those gospels did NOT adhere to the Truth the early preachers of Christianity wanted everyone to believe.

I do believe Jesus existed. As a man, perhaps a prophet but NOT the "son" of God.

As far as believing in "God," I am a believer in some sort of higher power, that transcends myself and all of us, and if one wishes to call that "God" then yes I am a believer.

Re the "Truth," God isn't the Truth, WE are the truth. Each and every one of us is the Truth.

What "God" (as I have defined him (or it) above) does is give us the strength to believe in our own Truth. To have faith in OURSELVES. To believe in ourselves and know that whatever happens to us in life, good or bad, we will get through it. On our own, by ourselves with "God's" strength to help and guide us. God doesn't fix... God gives strength.

IMO, "God" is an ENERGY.... and He is all around us and within us. That energy.

Ever heard of the "power of positive thinking"? This power comes from within OURSELVES not from God.

JMO but I believe many people use God as a crutch. They don't want to take responsibility for their own lives, so they put everything on God.

In their minds... if something wonderful happens, it was God's doing. Thank you Lord!

If something bad happens.... well that was God too and He has his reasons.

I don't believe that. We are all responsible for ourselves, we are all our own Truth, we all have the power within ourselves to turn negative into positive..... to make anything happen... we all need to believe in ourselves, have faith in ourselves, to count on ourselves and look to the light, the ENERGY that transcends all of us to find that strength... that for lack of a better word... is "God."

JMO

Edited by katiegrl
  • Like 1
Why do you think we were purposefully designed this way?

Your guess is as good as mine, buddy. The Bible - and my pastor - tells me we were fearfully and wonderfully made... that God made us "to be like us" ("us" presumably meaning the Holy Trinity - Father, Son and Holy Ghost - but I'm guessing here), and to reign over all the animals and plants on earth that He had just created. Maybe I'm just dense, but that doesn't really explain WHY He made us. I mean, what was the point? He just decided to create us one day, out of the blue? Or He looked over his creation so far (earth) and said, "Somebody's got to be put in charge of all this" to run it for Him? Why didn't He just post a legion or two of His angels here? And how long after He kicked Lucifer out of heaven did this happen, and did that have anything to do with His creating us and the earth? I really have no idea.

I think that would be my problem with that argument. You have to believe that there is some force out there (God?) that designed us this way on purpose. And there would obviously be no evidence for that idea. It all becomes a circular argument.

Nothing happens in a vacuum, is as close as I can come to explaining that. My gut - and my observation of the universe - and my ever-increasing number of years in this life - all tell me that yes, indeed, there is a point to all this. There's always a cause somewhere, a start. Nothing comes from nothing. Everything was created for a purpose, a result of something that was there before.

• Like 2

Ok,

I believe in God and an afterlife. I do not believe that Jesus is God's son.

We grew up with no religious practices in the home. I just have a faint memory of my dad's mum one day taking us to church and I loved the Hostess angel food cake...you know, the spongy one with pink icing ***yummm***

Anywho, in my teens or tweens, one day dad comes home and says "X" is what we're gonna follow. I don't know if we adopted it cuz my dad was like a dictator at home or that we really believed it.

Well today it's still my religion.

When I was young and dumb, I used to tell any/everyone what I believed and that they were wrong. With age and learning how people had a right to believe what they want, and that people are also cruel and ignorant - I began to be selective to who I disclosed my beliefs to. It has cost me friendships and men I've dated.

Why do I believe,

Well for one, I noticed the reoccurring theme when it comes to whether or not someone believes - and it is "fact" vs. "fiction".

For me, my God, through his scriptures, shows me "facts" that makes sense to me and allows me to "trust" Him (aka "faith").

What facts?

Ok, here's one...the miracle of conception. A little sperm hits an egg, it turns to a mushy flesh, then bones, eyes, hair and teeth...And, man will NEVER be able to recreate that miracle. Yea, yeah, we got scientists cloning and all that...so what. They are still using what God created. They can NEVER create it from scratch. They cannot make the Sun rise in the West and set in the East.

I'm re-reading a good book. It's called "The Bible, the Quran, and Science". Cuz, if you examine the holy scriptures, the ones that refer to elements of our world and withstand scientific scrutiny, IMO, are proof of superior being.

Another reason I believe?

Going back to the scriptures....they not only prove the existence of God, but serve as guidance for us. Religion is a way of life...not something to do on Sundays and holidays. The scriptures tell us how to marry, date, eat, treat our fellow man. Without divine guidance where would we go?

Well, I'm also reading another good read, "Intellectual Morons - How Ideology Makes Smart People Fall for Stupid Ideas"...and the author points out stuff I've seen and read in the scriptures - which is, we live in a self-centered, selfish, and individualistic society. People are so full of themselves (ie "selfies") and that's why they refuse to believe in a God. They think they know it all and wanna make up rules about life to suit their whims. We see it here on LS. Many people will say 'It's what works for us'...well man isn't wise enough to run himself and it'll probably take a few more years for society and families to break down before people "get it".

So, "ideology" becomes people's religion...cuz it's man-made, doesn't need to be supported by truth, and can change to suit your whims.

When you follow God's guidance, you truly will have peace in your life and soul.

I was watching that guy that comes on at 1AM, Sat nite. I think his name is Andy Stanley. And he just breaks it down so well. He was talking about putting stuff in God's hands and gosh, I thought it meant X (which is hard to do), but he explained it more and it's like wow, see how God isn't literally telling you to do this, but by doing it, you are removing yourself from something you can't control, doing something else meaningful, and then it's in God's hands (long explanation that's another thread all together).

So, I believe in God cuz through his scriptures and work I see facts that give me faith...and, when I follow His teachings (which I need to work on ;) ) I have peace in my life.

Oh, and lastly, I also believe cuz no way we could just be on this planet to eat, poop and die. The afterlife is another thing to keep us in check....do good to others and yourself and beat the hardships of this world and you'll be rewarded. Again, if man lives on this planet thinking he won't meet the ultimate Judge, then what's stopping him from doing evil?

• Like 1
TheFinalWord

The Bible was written by man. You might be surprised to learn there were many gospels NOT included in the Bible-New Testament (which was written by MAN approx 600 YEARS after Jesus died) because those gospels did NOT adhere to the Truth the early preachers of Christianity wanted everyone to believe.

Just a side note, the NT wasn't written 600 years after Christ. The most liberal scholars would place Mark's gospel around 60 to 70 AD. The earliest first century manuscript we currently have was found last year in the paper used to create an Egyptian mummy mask of all places! One factor you have to keep in mind is Christians were poor (paper was hard to come by) and under extreme persecution. Most of the texts the earliest Christians maintained were in the form of various creeds, which are preserved in the later writings of Paul. Paul comprised about half of the New Testament and was alive during the time of Christ and the apostles.

Just a side note, the NT wasn't written 600 years after Christ. The most liberal scholars would place Mark's gospel around 60 to 70 AD. The earliest first century manuscript we currently have was found last year in the paper used to create an Egyptian mummy mask of all places! One factor you have to keep in mind is Christians were poor (paper was hard to come by) and under extreme persecution. Most of the texts the earliest Christians maintained were in the form of various creeds, which are preserved in the later writings of Paul. Paul comprised about half of the New Testament and was alive during the time of Christ and the apostles.

TFW, I was not talking about the gospels/manuscripts/creeds/scrolls. I was taking about the NT of the Bible itself.. the Bible was not written by Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, their gospels/creeds were.

The gospels were discovered years after they died, interpreted and incorporated into the NT Bible, which was written by scholars promoting Christianity at the time, right before the turn of the century.

There were many other gospels/creeds discovered too, but they didn't fit with what the scholars were attempting to sell, so those gospels were intentionally omitted from the NT bible.

The book of Thomas for example.

This is what I was taught, what I have read and studied about its history, and it is what I believe to be true.....

It is what makes the most logical sense to me.

I respect what you believe though....:)

Edited by katiegrl
TheFinalWord
TFW, I was not talking about the gospels/manuscripts/creeds/scrolls. I was taking about the NT of the Bible itself.. the Bible was not written by Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, their gospels/creeds were.

The gospels were discovered years after they died, interpreted and incorporated into the NT Bible, which was written by scholars promoting Christianity at the time, right before the turn of the century.

There were many other gospels/creeds discovered too, but they didn't fit with what the scholars were attempting to sell, so those gospels were intentionally omitted from the NT bible.

The book of Thomas for example.

This is what I was taught, what I have read and studied about its history, and it is what I believe to be true.....

It is what makes the most logical sense to me.

I respect what you believe though....:)

The bible is comprised of a series of books. What you are referring to is the process of canonization. Canonization was more gradual and there was never a "vote" of what books to include/not include. There were regional councils that made declarations about the canon, but they affirmed books, they never created or authorized the canon.

• Like 1
  • Author

Do you have a link about this first c. manuscript that was found last year? I'd like to read about it.

• Like 1
  • Author
If there is no afterlife, what is the point of this life? I believe the afterlife defines this life.

I agree. For me, life seems to have little value without an afterlife. That's why I've always wanted to believe in the afterlife. So it's about me really.

• Author
Nothing happens in a vacuum, is as close as I can come to explaining that. My gut - and my observation of the universe - and my ever-increasing number of years in this life - all tell me that yes, indeed, there is a point to all this. There's always a cause somewhere, a start. Nothing comes from nothing. Everything was created for a purpose, a result of something that was there before.

To me, it seems almost as bizarre to believe that there is no afterlife as to believe that there is an afterlife.

TheFinalWord
Do you have a link about this first c. manuscript that was found last year? I'd like to read about it.

Here is a link about the manuscript. Last I heard the findings have yet to be officially published. There are a number of political issues surrounding the manuscript (one being the possible destruction of an Egyptian mummy mask).

I'd recommend Dr. Wallace's website. He's currently undertaking a project to digitally scan all the biblical manuscripts.

Terms and Conditions - CSNTM

• Like 1

The question should be why do you believe I'm the European version of God. Lol!

LookAtThisPOst
I have always since a little girl believed in an afterlife......my grandfather who i was really close too.....died when i was young...on the night he died he came to me in a dream ...and he looked like he used to look...not what he looked like when brain cancer had ravaged through his body and the treatments he endured...he was always a quiet man....stoic and gentle.....courageous and true......i love him so much...anyway.....he came to me and told me not to worry ever...not to be sad or cry for him....that he will see me soon and he had this white light all around him..when i awoke in the morning mum and dad were sitting on the lounge...tears in their eyes...and said to me we have something to tell you deb.....i told them not to worry i was ok i knew grandpa had died and told them about my dream...mum still talks about it...we know theres a god .....we know there's jesus...and we know our ancestors are waiting for us......

my step dad isnt so much of a believer.....which is a real shame...he used to say to my mother all the time you want to be a martyr ..because we believe in gentleness...kindness.... we believe wholly in service to others...all the things god wants us to do while we are here......we volunteer readily.....

i believe if all people knew about the other side how beautiful pain free and pure the afterlife will be...everyone would want to do good.....would feel a sense of relief.....because all their worries would then be for god...that pain...is going to end one day and we can rest...i understand there ar people who dont believe and i respect that...but its more than belief for me.....it gives my life a purpose ...the struggles i go through a certain reason to happen.......my loved ones who have gone on...the promise of seeing them again....makes me joy full because i miss them...muchly

my grandfather still visits me in dreams......as young as i remember him to be still as gentle, wise and firm and he still loves me...even though i feel i have failed......even though i feel i fall short and am not worthy of having faith often...i know that god is true....that jesus died for us.......and that because he died ..my family,myself and all people have been given a chance to live forever because god believes in us...not just because we believe in him...although...it helps..

how can we not love god and beleive in him...he has given us...so much love.....his son....jesus...is love personified ...deb

I had a similar experience...and...from that, I could not have anyone convince me there is no God or afterlife. To me that's proof there.

It would kind of boggle my mind atheists try to explain away out of body experiences on the operating table...as if it's some kind of hallucination based on nerves firing off in your head...and then...you expire...and then...you're food for worms...and inanimate object...a slap of meat...and out come the pads to "re-animate" that piece of meat...and boom...if they're lucky, you're back in your body.

And they, the temporarily deceased, are seeing all this happening from the spiritual perspective.

I don't believe. I used to be a very devoted born-again christian. But, then all those hard questions I wondered in my mind got the best of me and thus concluded that there was most likely no god.

I recall a priest talking about this. It was Catholic mass, and he said mentioned how they all say, in unison, "Let us proclaim the mystery of faith!"

Some of it is just a mystery, plain and simple and Christians except it as such. Some are explainable, and some of it not...and that's the beauty of the MYSTERY of faith.

Edited by LookAtThisPOst
MissCongeniality

I remember a anime I once watched where the villain asks his henchman if he believes in hell. When the henchman says no the guy says he does believe in hell and that the world being so messed was proof of their being a hell. I hold the same feeling I beleive that there is a God and a hell I believe that we prove that every day by what we do just look at the world and tell me hell doesn't exist.

I think the Anime was Kenshin or Ruroni something like that.

• Like 1
juniorrocha

I believe in God as in there's someone(something) above that is looking for us. Faith makes you feel safe, like no matter what happens, there will be a force helping you through life. And to satisfy that God, the only thing I have to do is respect everything around me. That's what I believe in.

I don't believe in the bible, nor any religion though. I think they're just groups trying to force their view onto society.

• Like 1
Hyperion227
The evidence for Intelligent Design is clear as day to me.

Every element of Intelligent Design has been thoroughly debunked time and time again.

• Like 1
Hyperion227

It would kind of boggle my mind atheists try to explain away out of body experiences on the operating table...as if it's some kind of hallucination based on nerves firing off in your head...and then...you expire...and then...you're food for worms...and inanimate object...a slap of meat...and out come the pads to "re-animate" that piece of meat...and boom...if they're lucky, you're back in your body.

OK, so what I want to know is, how far back are believers going to redraw their lines before accepting that they've retrenched so far back as to make their religion meaningless?

I mean, first they had to admit that the Earth was not the centre of the Universe. Then that the Sun wasn't the centre of the universe. Then that the Earth wasn't 6000 years old. Then that the Earth wasn't created in six days. Then that the Dinosaur bones are not placed by God as a test of faith. Then that evolution by natural selection is proven.

At what point does everything in scripture being totally overturned completely undermine the very basis of belief?

• Author
OK, so what I want to know is, how far back are believers going to redraw their lines before accepting that they've retrenched so far back as to make their religion meaningless?

I mean, first they had to admit that the Earth was not the centre of the Universe. Then that the Sun wasn't the centre of the universe. Then that the Earth wasn't 6000 years old. Then that the Earth wasn't created in six days. Then that the Dinosaur bones are not placed by God as a test of faith. Then that evolution by natural selection is proven.

At what point does everything in scripture being totally overturned completely undermine the very basis of belief?

The problem is using the Bible as a science text book, which it isn't. The writers didn't mean for the Bible to be used that way, and it doesn't even attempt to try to be that.

• Like 1