Study: Men (and women) find thinner women more attractive

I'm all for it.

Those of us who have some standards, and aren't so easily led will have more options than ever ;)

What you do not seem to realise is that you already have...

Where is that face palm smiley...

• Like 4
thefooloftheyear
I think bc historically women have been the ones moreso judged first by their bodies, and men by their accomplishments or success. Not saying it's right or wrong or femi-commenting, just answering. ;)

btw I agree that the social physical norm for women has changed substantially with the big butts and 'thickness' pride groundswells of the last couple decades.

OK fair enough....Women are more judged for looks...Men are more judged for their success/status...

No change there either...(yawn)..........

I have no dog in this fight,,,,,I dont care what anyone does, really...

TFY

Edited by thefooloftheyear
losangelena

Gee, it'd be great if, just once, a thread like this didn't have to devolve into a "men vs. women" debate. Men and women see things differently?? Quelle suprise! Talk about a big ol' yawn of a time.

Bottom line (I think), in regards to the study (as TFY already said)—regardless of biological or social "norms" or "averages," there will always be people who are attracted to those who fall outside the range of what "most" would consider attractive. In other words, there's someone for everyone.

Furthermore, just because you pick the thinnest silhouette as the most attractive, doesn't mean you'd crave, desire, or expect that body type in a mate. I'm sure most would opt for a more average-looking person if that person had a sparkling personality, was kind and responsible, a faithful partner and good match. And thank goodness for that.

I hate that thinness is persistently idealized, especially as it pertains to young women, because it reinforces the notion that one's body is one's most important asset (and I think that notion IS a social construct), which isn't and needn't be true.

• Like 2

I hate that thinness is persistently idealized, especially as it pertains to young women, because it reinforces the notion that one's body is one's most important asset (and I think that notion IS a social construct), which isn't and needn't be true.

I see far too many people who are too thin, weak and unable to do everyday things like play with their children or go out with their mates on a Friday night and for what? Some social stigma... :(

Its just sad.

PrettyEmily77
Gee, it'd be great if, just once, a thread like this didn't have to devolve into a "men vs. women" debate. Men and women see things differently?? Quelle suprise! Talk about a big ol' yawn of a time.

Bottom line (I think), in regards to the study (as TFY already said)—regardless of biological or social "norms" or "averages," there will always be people who are attracted to those who fall outside the range of what "most" would consider attractive. In other words, there's someone for everyone.

Furthermore, just because you pick the thinnest silhouette as the most attractive, doesn't mean you'd crave, desire, or expect that body type in a mate. I'm sure most would opt for a more average-looking person if that person had a sparkling personality, was kind and responsible, a faithful partner and good match. And thank goodness for that.

There is also the fact that what 'most' find attractive and think is the norm isn't even the norm, usually.

You are attracted to what you see, not to what is- unless you can measure and weigh people through osmosis, that is.

thefooloftheyear
I see far too many people who are too thin, weak and unable to do everyday things like play with their children or go out with their mates on a Friday night and for what? Some social stigma... :(

Its just sad.

I don't know where you live, but everyone is heavier here(USA)....Women and men....And yes, that means that they cant do everyday things either,...

TFY

• Like 1

A friend of mine always seemed to crush on women who were very thin, and ethereal-looking, but his wife is as heavy as he is - and he fell in love with her right away. :) Their first date lasted an entire weekend, and they were married just over a year later.

I was chubby for around 3 years in my adult life, but got back to BMI of usually 18-20.

Honestly? Although my body is NEVER an issue for anyone I go on a date with anymore (on the opposite, I receive tons of messages), I must say I felt sexier when I had some meat on me. I also prefer men who are into meat, body-wise. Additionally, I like stocky/husky men :love:

So whatever to what the universal preference is in this generation / century. It will change again, always does. I prefer people who have personal preferences, as me, instead of people who get brain washed by what the media tells them they should like.

I don't. Borrrring.

Maybe I did before I understood myself and what I'm interested in, in my 20s. In your 20s it's mostly about looks. Then one day you understand that looks alone don't do it. And then you realize you like other types of bodies and looks in bed. Then you realize you might prefer a husky chubby guy.

I think both are too thin and have the kind of fit body I find a slight turn off. Beautiful hot guys keep writing me online and I don't care and don't even respond. I care more about wittiness and of course attraction is needed, but Beckham types bore me and don't attract me.

Sometimes I feel people who write here are mostly in their 20s.

Interesting.

Women swoon over guys like David Beckham and George Clooney. According to a quick internet search, Beckham is 6' 165 pounds. Clooney is 5' 11" 172 pounds.

I wonder if women know what a physically fit man typically weighs.

I find it ironic that thinness is demonized in a country struggling with obesity problems and obesity-linked health problems - coronary heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes...

"All about that Bass" even seeks to glorify being fat and unhealthy.

• Like 5
insert_name
I find it ironic that thinness is demonized in a country struggling with obesity problems and obesity-linked health problems - coronary heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes...

Its all part of creating the new normal- trash thin people so that being chubby/overweight/obese becomes something to aspire to because thin people are "weak". And hey, you would much rather have heart problems and difficulty even thinking about doing moderate cardio than be "weak", right? :laugh:

• Like 2

Taylor Swift should make a song called "Shapely Tiny butt" and have a video where she dances around obese women proclaiming guys prefer thin women with a squat booty gym butt.

I wonder how that would go over. I mean, it was OK for Meghan to do the same to thin women after all.

• Like 2

I think it could help to remember that this study tested attraction to physical appearance.

There was another study done which showed that most people are more swayed by personality than physical appearance when it comes to choosing a partner for anything other than casual sex.

• Like 1

Yeah, I can't believe people took that study personally - it doesn't even look at physical appearance, but just ONE aspect of it: 'fatness' (as they called it :D)

I think it could help to remember that this study tested attraction to physical appearance.

There was another study done which showed that most people are more swayed by personality than physical appearance when it comes to choosing a partner for anything other than casual sex.

Ugh this is ridiculous... How comes that it is either obese or anorexic. There is a HUGE range of normal body weights - i.e. for 5'7 woman ANYTHING between 120-160 lbs is considered BMI normal. But no, we need to admire Tess Holiday obese meats or Kate Moss skin&bones.

The article explains the reason lighter is better - light = yound by human perception. It is just biology.

And is it soooo much more easier to gain weight than to lose weight - why people focus on demonizing the skinny people rather than the overweight ones that are usually in a significantly higher HEALTH hazard...

^^^ Whether it's easier to lose or gain weight is different for everyone. Some fat people are really just lazy and could simply cut out their snacking and lose weight (it's basic math really - calories in < calories out). Others have thyroid issues that make it impossible. For some skinny people, they have such high metabolism a that gaining weight is nearly impossible. Myself, I am 5'4" and weigh around 88 pounds. That's up from 84/85 pounds right after I had my son. BMI puts me in the "about to drop dead" zone of 15. But I've been this way forever and I'm fine. It's just my natural weight and it would take an insane amount of work to get to a "healthy weight." Believe me, I've tried!

I'd say it's actually often harder for a thin person to gain weight than for a bigger person to lose it. That's just, like, my opinion though, man.

And is it soooo much more easier to gain weight than to lose weight - why people focus on demonizing the skinny people rather than the overweight ones that are usually in a significantly higher HEALTH hazard...

I can tell you it is hard as heck trying to gain weight when you are a thin person. There's very little help and sympathy for those who are trying to gain the pounds.

• Like 1
RecentChange

For females at least, I think there isnt much sympathy for the very thin (trying to gain weight) as thinness is thought as the ideal (as proven by this study).

As others have mentioned, there are many body types in-between obease and thin.... Not all chubby people are lazy, and not all thin people are weak....

I am closer to chubby, on the high end of the "healthy / normal" bmi index. But I also watch what I eat, and do 30-45 mins of cardio 6 days a week. If I don't I get fat quickly (thanks genetics!) I have thinner friends who do not exercise nearly as much as I do, and consume way more calories, yet maintain their lighter weight.

Lucky for me, I am happy being "chubby" and altheltic - and thank god big booties / thick thighs have come into style because I love stair climbing and lower body work.

I will never be super thin.... My sister achieved "model" thinness at one point - with the help of a rageing eating disorder and an exercise addiction. Landed her in the hospital, but she achieved the "ideal body". Super thin is not the ideal for everyone.

I am nearly 5 feet and 10 inches in height. In my earlier days I weighed between 120 and 126 pounds most of the time without trying very hard although I was very active. I began to gain too much weight mostly due to eating from stress and not being active when I was 36. It was a constant problem with some ups and downs in weight until I finally got serious.

I think that there is a place somewhere in the middle of very skinny and obese that is attractive to average people. When I weighed less than 120 in the early 20s most people thought I was too thin. But before I began to change my recent lifestyle I was too big to be objectively attractive to most people. When I finish losing weight I will not be as thin as I was again but I will be healthy with curves and a fit heart and body. That is what I think most people like. To be attracted to obese people is not typical from what I have seen, but also only a certain kind of person seems to be attracted to a stick figure either.

• Like 1

The thing is BMI for 5'10 person weighing 120 pounds is 17.1 which is underweight (even 126 is underweight, BMI of 18.1). The article do not study these extreme cases.

The lowest that they call most attractive is BMI 19, for 5'10 this is 133 pounds.

I am nearly 5 feet and 10 inches in height. In my earlier days I weighed between 120 and 126 pounds most of the time without trying very hard although I was very active. I began to gain too much weight mostly due to eating from stress and not being active when I was 36. It was a constant problem with some ups and downs in weight until I finally got serious.

I think that there is a place somewhere in the middle of very skinny and obese that is attractive to average people. When I weighed less than 120 in the early 20s most people thought I was too thin. But before I began to change my recent lifestyle I was too big to be objectively attractive to most people. When I finish losing weight I will not be as thin as I was again but I will be healthy with curves and a fit heart and body. That is what I think most people like. To be attracted to obese people is not typical from what I have seen, but also only a certain kind of person seems to be attracted to a stick figure either.

Well, overactive thyroid will definitely make it super hard to gain weight.

I was talking more about healthy people with sedentary lifestyle... Sure there are exceptions.

I still think underweight carry less risk than overweight. In your case 88 pounds is just your normal weight because your body adapted well to it (like some people adapt to normal function at 90/60 blood pressure, whereas others will faint on it)

^^^ Whether it's easier to lose or gain weight is different for everyone. Some fat people are really just lazy and could simply cut out their snacking and lose weight (it's basic math really - calories in < calories out). Others have thyroid issues that make it impossible. For some skinny people, they have such high metabolism a that gaining weight is nearly impossible. Myself, I am 5'4" and weigh around 88 pounds. That's up from 84/85 pounds right after I had my son. BMI puts me in the "about to drop dead" zone of 15. But I've been this way forever and I'm fine. It's just my natural weight and it would take an insane amount of work to get to a "healthy weight." Believe me, I've tried!

I'd say it's actually often harder for a thin person to gain weight than for a bigger person to lose it. That's just, like, my opinion though, man.

• Like 1
Well, overactive thyroid will definitely make it super hard to gain weight.

I was talking more about healthy people with sedentary lifestyle... Sure there are exceptions.

I still think underweight carry less risk than overweight. In your case 88 pounds is just your normal weight because your body adapted well to it (like some people adapt to normal function at 90/60 blood pressure, whereas others will faint on it)

I didn't say it didn't carry less risk to be underweight than overweight (although even that is debatable). I said that I think it's harder for a norm thin person to gain weight than it is for a normal fat person to lose it. Obviously I have nothing but anecdotal evidence to back this up, so it's just my opinion/observation.

• Like 1

i have a BMI of 22.9 and im indeed healthier than when i was around 18.5.

and i feel better about my body too. i get more attention now than before, even though im thicker and with more cellulite. i workout so the thickness is not flabby.

btw that's what i like on men too these days. i love muscle AND some fat. i think some call it cuddly? well.. that <3 thanku.

• Like 1
  • Author

Interesting, I realized in daily life that I've been associating weight with age too:

Specifically, I judge a younger girl more harshly for extra weight than an older woman. For example, I might see a college age girl with a few extra pounds and think "she's attractive now, but I can see where she's heading in 5 years..."

A woman in her 30s or 40s with a few extra pounds and I'll think that she's handling aging rather well.

• Like 1
  • Author

The U shaped curves of BMI vs mortality show that low BMI is also associated with higher death and disease. For example, someone who gets sick (bacteria or virus) or has a heart attack with a low BMI is more likely to die because they have less nutritional reserves. Osteoporosis would also be a typical concern.

However, the 2 ends of the spectrum are not equivalent. My understanding is we see more cause and effect with obesity leading to disease, than with underweight. Instead, cause and effect tend to reverse on the lower end, where terminal diseases lead to losing weight. Terminal cancer often leads to wasting syndrome (cachexia) for example.

• Like 1