When did you give your gf/bf your home keys?

Gaeta

• Author
Have you considered checking your dog in at a boarding facility for the weekend?? There are ways to get around it.

Ive got a 6yr old adopted dog. Sadly, because of his behavioural issues, i cannot board him yet so i let him stay at my parents...

There are ways to get around the dog issue

I am not interested in boarding my dog on weekends. My dog is getting old, this would be too much stress for him. I have been living alone for 11 years and my dog is 9. It's always been him and I alone. That's all he knows. When I go on trips I have someone dog sitting at my place.

I told my boyfriend a couple of times I think it's the dog that makes him sneeze and congested and he said no, it's not and to not worry about it. Then he said he used to be allergic to dust. Well dogs do generate dust. I will vacuum more often and start my home air filter.

I just got to thinking.... and this doesn't apply only to your situation Gaeta....but what would happen IF by chance you were to break up a month from now (YOU dumped him and he was bitter about it -- or he just turned out to be a bad guy).... if he has a set of keys, who's to say before returning them to you, he wouldn't have another set made....and rob you out of house and home while you were at work one day? Even a month later when you might not suspect it's him?

I dunno maybe I am paranoid, but I'm thinking it's best not to exchange keys until you are in an established fully-committed RL, such that you are discussing marriage or living together.

I don't think I would feel comfortable with a man having keys until then.....

JMO... :)

• Like 2
GunslingerRoland
We've only been dating 2 months but we spend a decent amount of time together. We live on opposite end of the city. I get home at 18h. That puts him in the middle of rush hours (1h + to get to me). If he leaves a little earlier to avoid the rush hour then when he gets to my place he has to wait for me in his car. Middle of winter here, -20. I would like him to be able to come in and not wait for me outside but I hesitate. Not that I don't trust him, I do. I just feel it's an important gesture to give someone your home keys.

If he knows he's getting to your area too soon, he can go get a coffee, fill up his gas, or whatever else he wants. He isn't forced to wait in his car(and I'm assuming his car has a heater).

I'm not saying you shouldn't give him your keys, but if you do it, do it for the right reasons, not because you feel badly for him.

• Like 2
A year or so. About the same time that I'd tell him my PIN for my debit card. :laugh:

Edited to add: ... and when he also gave me his keys and PIN.

No man has ever gotten my PINs.

As for the keys it's basically been around the moving together stage for me. But I do know people in my area that exchange their keys with near strangers.

I'm not too familiar with Montreal but if you live in the city is there somewhere he could hang out inside like a coffee shop until you get home?