Best way to handle situation with my M.I.L?

Thinkalot

Um. Curly. At no point did I say they couldn't be controlled WITH MEDS AND THERAPY. :rolleyes: You were saying 'you can fix it if you just try' which is worlds different from what you've just posted.

And hey presto - what's Thinkalot doing? Meds and therapy.

Yeesh.

• Author

Thinkalot, as it happens, is struggling with it again, having been both out of therapy for a couple of months, and off meds. :eek:

It's true, as moi points out, the right attitude and effort and determination alone is usually not enough, because of the actual chemical imbalance, and often a genetic factor etc

You end up needing determination, courage, strength, AND therapy, meds etc, as clarified in your final post Curly.

It's true, as moi points out, the right attitude and effort and determination alone is usually not enough, because of the actual chemical imbalance, and often a genetic factor etc

Poor Thinkalot! It must be hellish to have to battle your own physiology :( Hang in there, kiddo!

• Author

Lol..thanks Merry. Sometimes I feel like I am hanging on my by toenails alone! :eek:

It must be disappointing when it comes back but this has been a time of change and high emotion for you, thinkalot. Don't be alarmed or too hard on yourself, things will settle. Meanwhile, go for the tried and tested remedies. It's a pain but you're more than up to it.

Our friend has also fallen off the wagon having been off meds for most of her pregnancy. It's interesting how much less of an impact on her life it's having, compared to her last bad patch several years ago. The worries are all very similar. I think it's just that because she expected them and is more relaxed about it all, she's less upset by them.

I think I resamble to an ADD or ADHD - I have seen a doc and she told me I'm fine. During times of high stress I go blank, it's not that I can't focuss, but I feel the carpet under my feet literarily moving in all directions. Under unknown, unexpected situations it's literarily impossible for me to be on top of things.

And of course, it's when I came on Loveshack I thought about that - I think moi brought it out and posted a link to a test.

Despite my positive diagnosis, I think I still may have ADHD, but without the hyperactivity. The mere thought that I knew I had at least a tendency to that disorder gave me something to hold on to. I can't say I keep it under control, because I can only test that when I'll be forced to cope again with totally new and stressing situations.

Sorry to ramble, my point was to merely make sure that there's no defetist attititude towards this desease, as in "heeelp, I'm being invaded, LOL". Just that. Mental disorder are hellish indeed, devastating even, and it's so easy to give up... It simply my weird way of saying "NO, it's not helpless and there is improvement". Medication and couselling asside, my pov in my handling my disorder is my "I can beat it" attitude. That's my own real life experience - and I wanted to reinforced it with links, of course.

I guess you're right, thinkalot, it is easy to get carried away, especially when talking about such a sensitive matter.

• Author

Hey curly- I too sometimes exhibit signs of ADD OR ADHD. I did the test on the link too...and it said I might have it. I dont think I do...i think my symptoms are more linked in with obsessing and getting so distracted by a loop of thoughts, that I dont pay attention to other things, I should be paying attention too!

Good luck with it all Curly. Everyone finds a different balance of determination, counselling, meds, which gets them through. :)

I am off to see my psych tomorrow :o