Could I be pregnant

premedlife

My sex life after 18 was never my parents' business.

OP is a grown, albeit young, woman.

I do not know how old she is. The first words in the thread sounded to me like she was very young.

premedlife, there has got to be some kind of counselor out there who can help. Maybe try searching "pregnancy helpline" followed by the area where you live in google. See if something comes up. A phone number, a location, anything. I don't know what kind of person your father is, but I would not let guilt stop me from reaching out for help, if that was the only thing. I would expect that as an adult, no one can force me to marry. But again, I don't know your relationship with him.

• Like 1

I know that after a while, it gets tiresome to hear a lot of unsolicited suggestions.

However, if you're in school, I'm pretty sure there are resources (medical, emotional) available to you.

OP, what about your friends? What's your support system like?

OP, I am still not so sure you are pregnant.

The pill can really throw your cycle out of whack!

I mean you started it when you should not have, then stopped suddenly.

That would totally throw things off ....resulting in late periods, false/positives on those at-home pregnancy tests, as well as all the symptoms you are experiencing.

On one hand, your system needs to have a period, but it's being blocked from happening by the hormones caused from your short stint on the pill.

No wonder you are nauseous with sore nipples.....you need to have your period!

Get to a doctor asap!

He/she is the ONLY person who will know for sure. And if you are not pregnant, he/she will give you something to facilitate your period!

For the record, I have experienced this a few times while on the pill many years ago.

Which is why I got off it!

Edited by katiegrl
  • Author

That would totally throw things off ....resulting in late periods, false/positives on those at-home pregnancy tests, as well as all the symptoms you are experiencing.

On one hand, your system needs to have a period, but it's being blocked from happening by the hormones caused from your short stint on the pill.

Get to a doctor asap!

He/she is the ONLY person who will know for sure. And if you are not pregnant, he/she will give you something to facilitate your period!

For the record, I have experienced this a few times while on the pill many years ago.

The pill could cause false positives. I took 5 test throughout the day yesterday from morning pee till before bed. Every single one of them came back positive. Extreme fatigue, sore nipples and constant cramps. It feels like my period is coming but it won't!

I wish you all the best, OP. Since being a parent isn't a great option, you may want to consider an early termination. I'd urge you to address this issue squarely and immediately.

• Like 1
The pill could cause false positives. I took 5 test throughout the day yesterday from morning pee till before bed. Every single one of them came back positive. Extreme fatigue, sore nipples and constant cramps.

*It feels like my period is coming but it won't****!

Exactly hun..... that is exactly what it feels like!

Anyway ...you'll find out soon...hang in there.

Fingers crossed.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Katie,

False positives of pregnancy test are very very rare.

Women do not need to have their period - it happens only as a consequence of thickened endometrial lining, which can very well be avoided using some hormonal combinations in contraceptives.

So the period delay - not such a definite sign. But positive pregnancy test = elevated hCG hormone - reasons:

1) pregnancy

2) miscarried pregnancy - the hCG will stay elevated for hours after termination, if you had a positive pregnancy test once, and turned negative when you tried again, it was likely an early miscarriage (many women have that without ever suspecting pregnancy)

3) cancer - ovarian tumors, teratomas, suprisingly even some testicular cancer cells will produce hCG

In OP's case whether it is 1) or 2), even the minor chance on 3), she should run to her gynaecologist (as she has already planned...)

Get to a doctor asap!

• Like 2

Speaking personally, I experienced a few false positives while on the pill and after I stopped.

On the other hand, while doing clinical work for my nursing degree many years ago (I am not a nurse now however), there was a woman on the pill (or had just stopped can't remember for sure) who got what she thought was her period, but it turned out she was actually pregnant!

The bleeding was due to the fertilized egg implanting itself into the lining of the uterus...which caused bleeding. She assumed it was her period, but she was pregnant. This is quite common also.

So many variables.

Yes, only a doctor can determine for certainty.

Good luck tomorrow premed!

Edited by katiegrl

OP- It is possible to continue your studies and have the baby, my workmates daughter did it and only took a short amount of time off (she is a doctor now) and I see plenty of pregnant med students in the hospital I work in. It's not easy, but it is possible.

It is your choice though, don't let anyone bully you into something you don't want to do. I've had a termination (aged 18) and had a baby at 21, so if you have any questions regarding either scenario feel free to ask.

There is also adoption to consider, with open adoptions these days, this could be a good option for you, baby and some hopeful parents to be too.

• Like 2
  • Author
OP- It is possible to continue your studies and have the baby, my workmates daughter did it and only took a short amount of time off (she is a doctor now) and I see plenty of pregnant med students in the hospital I work in. It's not easy, but it is possible.

It is your choice though, don't let anyone bully you into something you don't want to do. I've had a termination (aged 18) and had a baby at 21, so if you have any questions regarding either scenario feel free to ask.

There is also adoption to consider, with open adoptions these days, this could be a good option for you, baby and some hopeful parents to be too.

How did the abortion go? Did u regret it?? What made u decide to keep the second one?

That's my biggest worry. I still live with my parent and commute to school. The immense disappointed and guilt my father will make me feel I don't know if I can handle. He might force me to marry my boyfriend or even move in with him. I'm so distraught and confused about what to do.

Not trying to induce you to do anything you don't want, but just a FYI in case you don't know, Planned Parenthood chapters take people in for terminations, your father (or no one for that matter) has to know, and they accommodate if you don't have the resources to pay. In case you decide to terminate, contact them and book an appointment for the procedure.

How did the abortion go? Did u regret it?? What made u decide to keep the second one?

The abortion was very easy physically, emotionally I struggled for a while, but I have no regrets today, as I wouldn't have done as well in my career having a baby that young.

I decided to keep my baby at 21 as I was settled with my boyfriend at the time, he said he would support me and he owned his own house. However the reality was very different, he didn't support me or our son, I ended up going back to work part time when he was 6 weeks old, in order to get by.

I seperated from the father when our son was 3 and have raised him pretty much on my own, he's a successful 22yo new graduate graphic designer now...so I think the stuggles have paid off.

• Like 2

This, in conjunction to what seemed implantation bleeding "dark brown spotting" in your first post... looks to me as you are quite pregnant.

The pill could cause false positives. I took 5 test throughout the day yesterday from morning pee till before bed. Every single one of them came back positive. Extreme fatigue, sore nipples and constant cramps. It feels like my period is coming but it won't!

I'm sorry! There's no truth to a false positive because of birth control pills! In fact the opposite is true False Negative results are common with pregnancy tests. I'm not trying to burst your bubble, but you are pregnant.

That's what I was trying to say, there is pregnancy, not necessarily viable ("false" positive means most likely there was pregnancy that spontaneously terminated very early on)

I'm sorry! There's no truth to a false positive because of birth control pills! In fact the opposite is true False Negative results are common with pregnancy tests. I'm not trying to burst your bubble, but you are pregnant.

OP, I hope you've gone to get the medical opinions that you need, and if you do read this, remember that it's your life and your decision. People can try to impose all the beliefs they want on you, but at the end of the day you will be the one dealing with the consequences of your own actions, not them.

To those continuing to guilt-trip young pregnant women with talk of 'killing fetuses', perhaps your ardour might be better spent on volunteering at young mothers' shelters or donating to families with a young single mother. That will help young women who actually want to keep their child but are unable to for financial reasons, to do so.

• Like 6

OP, I hope you've gone to the doctor or have a plan to do so and find out what's going on. I know how scary this situation can be. I had an unplanned pregnancy when my now ex-husband and I had only been dating for 6 months. It was absolutely terrifying and I was on the pill so I didn't think it could happen. However, preg tests look for hCG, not the estrogen/progesterone of the pill, so the pill doesn't cause false positives.

Thinking of you and hoping you aren't too anxious <3

• Like 1
  • Author

Hey guys! I just came back from my doctors appointment. From the last day of my period I should be 7 weeks pregnant today. However when I went in for the sonogram the doctor could hardly see it. She said that I am 2.5-3 weeks pregnant. How is that? I have to go back in next week for another sonogram/blood test

Hey guys! I just came back from my doctors appointment. From the last day of my period I should be 7 weeks pregnant today. However when I went in for the sonogram the doctor could hardly see it. She said that I am 2.5-3 weeks pregnant. How is that? I have to go back in next week for another sonogram/blood test

Because you can no longer go by your last period. Your cycle was interrupted/skewed. Did you continue to have unprotected sex in the meantime. It likely means that you weren't pregnant when you first thought because of the issues you were having. But, since then you actually did become pregnant.

• Like 2

Exactly what Redhead said.

You got pregnant much later, not when you had the suspicious brown spotting.

The doctor is asking you to go in a week to determine the stage of the pregnancy more precisely, if the pregnancy is viable by then at all...

2.5-3 weeks pregnant is usually BEFORE you miss a period (that count is from the last period, but in your case, she can't tell precisely...)

Good news you are very very early on, so you have time to make your choice and take the necessary steps either way.

PLS get IUD/implant/shot on the first possible occasion after the birth or termination, you're playing with fire with birth control methods that you can't stick to.

• Like 1

OP, I'm not advocating abortion and think that's a personal decision that you have to make.

It just want to make sure that you have been informed of the differences between a medical and surgical abortion. Right now you are in the window where you can still have a medical abortion in the privacy of your own home. A doctor can give you a pill that will cause the to detach from your uterine wall and pass through your system. If you wait too many more weeks, this will no longer be an option.

I'm not advocating on any position, just making sure you are aware of the difference.

Oh crap, the Obama death panels just sprayed chemtrails all over my house. Gotta go take cover! Quick, where is my tinfoil hat????

• Like 4
  • Author
Exactly what Redhead said.

You got pregnant much later, not when you had the suspicious brown spotting.

The doctor is asking you to go in a week to determine the stage of the pregnancy more precisely, if the pregnancy is viable by then at all...

2.5-3 weeks pregnant is usually BEFORE you miss a period (that count is from the last period, but in your case, she can't tell precisely...)

Good news you are very very early on, so you have time to make your choice and take the necessary steps either way.

PLS get IUD/implant/shot on the first possible occasion after the birth or termination, you're playing with fire with birth control methods that you can't stick to.

Thank you kindly. After the doctor talked to my boyfriend and I, we realized that I possibly conceived with 4-5 days from my missed period(September 5th). The brown spotting probably had nothing to do with my period at all. I just recently got pregnant! Thank you you for your kind words and concern!

Not ready to be a mommy at 21.

Yeah that is VERY young. And especially considering she wants to be a doctor. A baby will pretty much squelch that dream, at least for now.

premed, do you want to keep this baby?

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
Reply to deleted post. ~T
Thank you kindly. After the doctor talked to my boyfriend and I, we realized that I possibly conceived with 4-5 days from my missed period(September 5th). The brown spotting probably had nothing to do with my period at all. I just recently got pregnant! Thank you you for your kind words and concern!

Many hugs, prayers, and best wishes coming to you while you decide what to do from here.

• Like 2
Many hugs, prayers, and best wishes coming to you while you decide what to do from here.

Absolutely!!

And if you (and your boyfriend) decide to keep the baby...then congrats!

It will be tough but other couples have done it and succeeded.

Some hard choices ahead....

Wish you the best! :) :)

• Like 2