Sending pizzas after an interview seems odd! [Update - husband got job]

Yeah, so not only did they not pick him, they didn't pick anyone....YET!

No they could have hired someone and just have left the ad up. WE do it here.

Also yes it is not brain surgery but you still want the right person for the job.

We get a lot of dregs, people for are just filling out an app to keep welfare and unemployment. Once you are in the business for a while you can spot those people. You need more than just a warm body in a chair.

• Like 1
  • Author
I interview people for entry-level jobs as well as higher-ups.

You don't HAVE to select someone just because you think you have "the customer service experience". EVERY single person I interview says they are a people person.

Seriously, I don't think you know how a lot of job interviews can go.

I've done 10 minutes interviews, done 30 minutes, done 1 hour interviews.

Hired or not hired. The time I spent with them made no difference on whether they got hired or not.

Well okay. I can talk until I'm blue in the face saying why I think they haven't made a decision yet or that H hasn't heard because the guy is out and everyone else can talk until they are blue in the face about how they are SURE he didn't get the job. It's because I want him to get the job and everyone on here doesn't want him to get the job so we are both going to argue our points. We are all biased!

• Like 1
  • Author
No they could have hired someone and just have left the ad up. WE do it here.

Also yes it is not brain surgery but you still want the right person for the job.

We get a lot of dregs, people for are just filling out an app to keep welfare and unemployment. Once you are in the business for a while you can spot those people. You need more than just a warm body in a chair.

Yes and he has all the background and more needed to fill that position. If he was the perfect person for the job and nobody else fit the bill and you needed someone for that position, would you really not hire him because he needed a week or two to "wrap up business"?

He interviewed there and it sounded like they wanted to bring him on but he was all blaise about it and told me that it wasn't as exciting as he thought and he told them he needed a couple weeks as he was looking at other options.

This is what YOU said at the beginning of the thread.

"Wrapping up business" is very different than "need a couple weeks weighing other options".

So yes, again, I really would not hire them.

I'm not going to wait a few weeks while he considers other employment options. Now if he said, "I want to work here, I just need to give my company three weeks' notice."

That is ENTIRELY different and that I can respect.

• Like 2
Yes and he has all the background and more needed to fill that position. If he was the perfect person for the job and nobody else fit the bill and you needed someone for that position, would you really not hire him because he needed a week or two to "wrap up business"?

It would depend on how and what was said. But the pizza thing would be more of a problem for me. He previously told them he would buy pizza then didn't do it only to do it when it served his needs. That only might not be a total strike but it is was coupled with and ambiguous answer about whether he wanted employement it would be a no for me, personally.

Also I think everyone would like your husband to get a job and work consistently.

I would go forward assuming he doesn't have that job unless otherwise notified. I hope he is still actively looking.

• Like 2

"Wrapping up business" is very different than "need a couple weeks weighing other options".

I'm not going to wait a few weeks while he considers other employment options. Now if he said, "I want to work here, I just need to give my company three weeks' notice."

Wrapping up business is also vague. If he said he would like the job but need to give two weeks notice, or needed some time to finish projects that is another story.

• Like 1
  • Author

Like I said, I wasn't there to hear the exact wording. When he called me after the interview his words to me were that he told them he had told them he had another opportunity and would need a week or two. Then he told me the next day that he told them he needed a week or two to wrap up business and to call when they had made a decision. Then the next day he sent them an email (which I saw) saying "Thanks for meeting with me the other day, told the wife we had a good chat. I was able to wrap up my business this week, so if you guys have an offer let me know!" I am guessing since he wrote that that is what was said. That day the email was sent could also be the day the guy started his week out of the office because it was a week prior that he had written "I will be out for a week sometime in the next week or two".

I followed up with an email to a company inquiring the status of my application and was totally ignored. This was after some email correspondence too.

And some managers are just dicks and don't really care. You don't want to work for that person anyways :).

• Like 2
  • Author
WEll hope for the best and plan for the worse.

Yes I agree. If he doesn't hear from them by this week, then I'll assume he doesn't have the job. They aren't open today so I would really hope that tomorrow he would hear something. If not, he needs to call them and ask what's up so he isn't assuming anything.

• Like 1
There's no way they'd have any idea about his time away.

And there's no way YOU would know what they know. It's a small world. People talk. There is always someone who knows or is related to someone. Most likely they've found out a lot about him and they want nothing to do with him - pizzas or not.

• Like 2
  • Author
And there's no way YOU would know what they know. It's a small world. People talk. There is always someone who knows or is related to someone. Most likely they've found out a lot about him and they want nothing to do with him - pizzas or not.

And there's no way that YOU would know what they know either, but everyone here seems to be giving it the most negative of negativity saying that there's no way in hell he even remotely has a chance. That they obviously know ALL about his background!!

I will let you all know what happened later in the week!

Edited by Mapper71
  • Like 1
So with the ad still being up 1 1/2 weeks after his interview and running until the 30 days expired you think they found one of those qualified candidates?? Even when they said they were impressed with his background and that he's probably overqualified, you think they'd rather hire nobody rather than hire him even if he said he needed some time to think about it?

After I interviewed for a job, I saw the ad reposted a few times even though they were done with the interview process and in the middle of choosing candidates. That ad thing doesn't really mean anything.

There’s a lot of background to this story and a lot more details, but I am not going to go into that. Let’s just say my husband left $38/hr job even when he didn’t have another job lined up. I ended up finding a job in an area he’d love and at a place he’s already familiar with. The guy emailed the day after he got his resume and said he’d like to talk with him right away. He interviewed there and it sounded like they wanted to bring him on but he was all blaise about it and told me that it wasn't as exciting as he thought and he told them he needed a couple weeks as he was looking at other options. Um, what other options?? Apparently he was holding back because he thought FOR SURE he’d get an interview for this painting job with his old company (which he has no experience with!) but got the email the day after the interview saying he was passed over. If he had gotten that rejection email the morning before his interview he would have accepted the job I found for him. You don't have a job and haven't worked in 3 1/2 months. You don't get to be picky! Then last Friday he apparently realized that he really needs a job and getting one isn't as easy as he thinks so emailed the place to say that he "wrapped up his business this week and would be able to start whenever and to give him a call". Still no call from them. Then 2 days ago, and this seems over the top, he had 5 large pizzas sent to them. I'm not sure if it was sent anonymously or if his name was on the delivery form, but Tuesday afternoon he emailed the guy who interviewed him asking how the pizzas were. Still no response from that guy. The guy could be out for a bit as he had mentioned he’d be out at some point in the next couple of weeks.

I mean okay I give him points for doing something original like that so he'll stick out in their minds, but I don't know that I would ever go so far as to send a bunch of pizzas, even if it is just a casual shop. I 'd feel weird doing that and I'd feel REALLY weird if I didn't get a response!

If I have the dates correct, he interviewed sometime around 8/10, realized on Friday the 14th that he really needs a job, emailed them, sent the pizzas on Tuesday the 18th, and then emailed that afternoon asking how the pizzas were.

It's now the 24th. Regardless of everyone's opinions on the pizzas and whatnot, today would be a good day to follow up with a phone call to ask what's going on. He could at least find out from the front desk if the guy is away on vacation or not.

• Like 1
  • Author
If I have the dates correct, he interviewed sometime around 8/10, realized on Friday the 14th that he really needs a job, emailed them, sent the pizzas on Tuesday the 18th, and then emailed that afternoon asking how the pizzas were.

It's now the 24th. Regardless of everyone's opinions on the pizzas and whatnot, today would be a good day to follow up with a phone call to ask what's going on. He could at least find out from the front desk if the guy is away on vacation or not.

Yup you are pretty much spot on with the dates, except he interviewed on the 12th.

Yes, I agree that he needs to call them, not send an email and wait, and find out what is going on. However, the place is closed on Mondays so it will have to wait until tomorrow.

• Like 1
  • Author

Oh yeah! Guess who just got the job??!!! That's right, my husband! Just as I said, the guy was out for the birth of his baby and got back this week and is getting things back up and running. He's having him come in next week and meet with the others he'll be working with and then will start the day after Labor Day!

• Author
You are correct.

My opinion still stands.

He would have been hired by now if they really wanted him.

Looks like your opinion was WRONG!

• Author
Congrats! Following thru on the pizzas paid off. Yay!

Well the guy who interviewed him wasn't even there for the pizzas as he was off having the baby (well, his wife was!).

• Author
Well, you married him.

And yes, it was weird. And tell him thanks for the pizza, but I'm definitely not hiring him now that I know all this backstory.

Looks like you changed your mind Diezel!!:laugh::D:p

• Author

For all you naysayers out there who were 100% sure there was NO WAY he was going to get the job after sending the pizzas, how it was OBVIOUS they weren't going to hire him, who said I must be crazy to think that there's even remotely a chance that he is being considered as they want nothing to do with him....well I hate to say you were all wrong, but....you were all WRONG! He got the call yesterday from the guy saying he is to come in next week to meet with the other employees and then start the day after Labor Day. And just as I kept reiterating to everyone on here, the guy was out for the birth of his baby and that's why he hadn't heard anything, yet everyone told me that there's NO WAY they'd wait this long to hire him regardless on whether he was out or not.

Some people were as negative as possible to me no matter what I say so it's nice to be able to come back and say that you were wrong. It's a small victory for me. Of course, I'm sure now I'll be told by several of you that the interviewer must be in cahoots with my husband or that he's crazy himself or something to justify why my husband was chosen over others rather than saying that maybe my husband had the right qualifications and impressed them. I know that's hard for a lot of you to admit. I can't admit a lot of things myself too so I'm no better than anyone else, probably a lot worse than most of you. However, it makes me feel good though that I stood my ground and said over and over again that the guy was out and that's why he hasn't heard anything and that I was actually right about that.

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
  • Like 2

You may not believe this, but I am honestly happy for both of you.

Congratulations. :)

I hope he actually keeps the job, shows up for work, and doesn't start the games he played at his last job of not showing up for weeks at a time.

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
removed quote to edited post. ~T
  • Like 4
  • Author
You may not believe this, but I am honestly happy for both of you.

Congratulations. :)

I hope he actually keeps the job, shows up for work, and doesn't start the games he played at his last job of not showing up for weeks at a time.

Thank you very much Carrie! And this place of employment is small and he can't get away with the BS and not being there due to no FMLA. And it's doing something that he likes so it SHOULD be fine.

• Like 1
UpwardForward

Didn't read the other thread.

But Congratulations .. and what a Great idea!

(key to peoples' hearts is still through their stomachs)

• Like 1