Sending pizzas after an interview seems odd! [Update - husband got job]

Yeah, that changes it almost entirely.

Actually, it lets them know he's not true to his word, but will pony up when something in his favor is at stake. Not good.

• Like 2
Actually, it lets them know he's not true to his word, but will pony up when something in his favor is at stake. Not good.

Oh for goodness sake. I think this is a bit extreme. :rolleyes:

Regardless it is not a tactic that is going to have a lot of sway but isn't a "bad" thing to do. He bought them lunch. Big deal.

Well my husband told me that this guy wanted him to start within a few days of the interview, so it seems like they do want someone quickly. Yet, the ad is still posted up on Craigslist and has been for almost a month now.

She is married.....

Oh for goodness sake. I think this is a bit extreme. :rolleyes:

Regardless it is not a tactic that is going to have a lot of sway but isn't a "bad" thing to do. He bought them lunch. Big deal.

If you knew this manchild's history, you wouldn't think it's extreme.

• Like 2

They didn't hire him. So he tried a second time and they reminded him about the pizza issue (i.e., he was already looking irresponsible from their previous contact with him).

The ad is still up?

The pizzas were a last-ditch effort on his part and he will definitely NOT be fired as they see him as a flake.

• Like 1
They didn't hire him. So he tried a second time and they reminded him about the pizza issue (i.e., he was already looking irresponsible from their previous contact with him).

The ad is still up?

The pizzas were a last-ditch effort on his part and he will definitely NOT be fired as they see him as a flake.

CarrieT, I think you meant to say he will not be HIRED.

If you knew this manchild's history, you wouldn't think it's extreme.

Sorry regardless of back story you are extrapolating too much. You are assuming they know more information, it is playing into it, and there is something so much more here than purchasing some pizzas.

I think it is a stretch regardless of back story.

• Like 1
  • Author

The ad is still up?

No the ad was up through yesterday and it down today but that's only because today was the 31st day of the ad and job ads only stay up for 30 days on Craigslist and then are automatically taken down if not taken down sooner.

THEY never reminded him of the pizza issue. He told them back in April as we were leaving the place that he'd have to buy them pizzas for helping him with an issue. Then at his interview he told the guy who interviewed him (the same guy who he dealt with back in April) that he'd have to get them those pizzas.

• Like 1
CarrieT, I think you meant to say he will not be HIRED.

You are correct.

THEY never reminded him of the pizza issue. He told them back in April as we were leaving the place that he'd have to buy them pizzas for helping him with an issue. Then at his interview he told the guy who interviewed him (the same guy who he dealt with back in April) that he'd have to get them those pizzas.

My opinion still stands.

He would have been hired by now if they really wanted him.

• Like 3
  • Author
You are correct.

My opinion still stands.

He would have been hired by now if they really wanted him.

Not if the guy is out for the birth of his kid as he said he would be for a week the week or two after the interview!

If anything, the guy would at least acknowledge (I would hope!) the pizzas or give him a simple "we've gone with someone else" email if he was that interested in hiring him in the first place. I've never NOT had an answer from interviews I've had when I didn't get the job. They've always been courteous enough to tell me SOMETHING.

OR

Maybe they were waiting for the ad to run it's full 30 days, see who all applied, and then make a decision

Edited by Mapper71
Not if the guy is out for the birth of his kid as he said he would be for a week the week or two after the interview! If anything, the guy would at least acknowledge the pizzas or give him a simple "we've gone with someone else" email if he was that interested in hiring him in the first place. I've never NOT had an answer from interviews I've had when I didn't get the job. They've always been courteous enough to tell me SOMETHING.

Well, that’s YOUR experience. It doesn’t mean that it applies to everyone else. I know of MANY cases where people didn’t get the job and never heard anything one way or the other – even after the employer promised they would get back to them after the decision was made. I don’t think that’s right, but it happens all the time.

I agree with CarrieT. But Mapper71, you don’t seem to like what people are saying; you’re grasping at straws. And frankly, I don’t see the pizzas as being relevant.

You say you don’t have a question, that this is a vent/rant/thinking out loud. So are people just supposed to read and say nothing? I’m a bit baffled as to what you want.

• Like 3
The harsh reality is...sometimes leaders of companies make mistakes. I try to personally respond to people that apply and thank them for taking the time to show interest in our company.

Sometimes a few fall through the cracks. You can guess all you want on the reason for the absence...but there's not a lot you can do about it.

The other thing to consider is that sometimes hiring is not very urgent. Sometimes I'll hire for a position I know I won't need for another 3 months (knowing I would take the right candidate if they were obvious and appeared in front of me). If I get a bunch of so-so candidates I will sit on them for a while. No reason not to.

I followed up with an email to a company inquiring the status of my application and was totally ignored. This was after some email correspondence too.

Also, if this is a company your H did business with, it is very likely they know about his tendencies for constant time off of work.

• Like 3

Maybe they were waiting for the ad to run it's full 30 days, see who all applied, and then make a decision

That is just ludicrous. If a company has an opening and needs employees, they aren't going to wait a whole month to see who all might apply. They will take the best, first candidate they can.

• Like 3
That is just ludicrous. If a company has an opening and needs employees, they aren't going to wait a whole month to see who all might apply. They will take the best, first candidate they can.

This and his answer just indicated to them that he was pussy footing around. It's one thing to ask for a few days to decide and another just to give them the run around. They aren't going to wait around on him when there are other qualified candidates that will accept on the spot.

• Author
Also, if this is a company your H did business with, it is very likely they know about his tendencies for constant time off of work.

There's no way they'd have any idea about his time away.

• Author

So then you must be saying as much as they need someone, they obviously didn't pick anyone then if they let the ad run it's full 30 days?? They could have interviewed 20 different people and NOBODY fit the bill? I find that hard to believe!

• Author
This and his answer just indicated to them that he was pussy footing around. It's one thing to ask for a few days to decide and another just to give them the run around. They aren't going to wait around on him when there are other qualified candidates that will accept on the spot.

So with the ad still being up 1 1/2 weeks after his interview and running until the 30 days expired you think they found one of those qualified candidates?? Even when they said they were impressed with his background and that he's probably overqualified, you think they'd rather hire nobody rather than hire him even if he said he needed some time to think about it?

I'm a hiring manager.

If I interviewed someone and thought I might hire that person and they said they needed a few weeks since they were weighing other possible options, that person would never hear from me again.

Don't waste my time only to tell me that you need weeks for other options.

I can interview dozens of people for 1 position at any given time. I want someone who wants to jump at the chance to work for me. Other than that, I'll pass. Pizzas or not.

Also, I have NOT hired for a position just because all 5 candidates were not what I was looking for. And yes, I've kept the ads up even after someone was offered a job over the phone, because nothing is final until a contract is signed and a start date is set. Even then, HR and Recruiting might still take an extra day or two to take them down.

• Like 3
  • Author
I'm a hiring manager.

If I interviewed someone and thought I might hire that person and they said they needed a few weeks since they were weighing other possible options, that person would never hear from me again.

I can interview dozens of people for 1 position at any given time. I want someone who wants to jump at the chance to work for me. Other than that, I'll pass. Pizzas or not.

Also, I have NOT hired for a position just because all 5 candidates were not what I was looking for. And yes, I've kept the ads up even after someone was offered a job over the phone, because nothing is final until a contract is signed and a start date is set. Even then, HR and Recruiting might still take an extra day or two to take them down.

Well this isn't a brain surgeon job so it's not like they have to be super picky about who they take on. I'm sure they would have taken SOMEONE from the pool of candidates. As long as you have customer service experience you are pretty much the right person for the job. Plus he talked to the guy for an hour so it wasn't like after 10 minutes the interview was over.

I'm a hiring manager.

We keep our ads up longer as well. Esp on Craigslist. Many companies do. WE do it because as you said nothing is set until the start date. As well as to get more resumes. I work in an industry with regular turn over so we always want extra resumes filed for future openings.

• Like 1
  • Author
We keep our ads up longer as well. Esp on Craigslist. Many companies do. WE do it because as you said nothing is set until the start date. As well as to get more resumes. I work in an industry with regular turn over so we always want extra resumes filed for future openings.

Yeah, so not only did they not pick him, they didn't pick anyone....YET!

Well this isn't a brain surgeon job so it's not like they have to be super picky about who they take on. I'm sure they would have taken SOMEONE from the pool of candidates. As long as you have customer service experience you are pretty much the right person for the job. Plus he talked to the guy for an hour so it wasn't like after 10 minutes the interview was over.

I interview people for entry-level jobs as well as higher-ups.

You don't HAVE to select someone just because you think you have "the customer service experience". EVERY single person I interview says they are a people person.

Seriously, I don't think you know how a lot of job interviews can go.

I've done 10 minutes interviews, done 30 minutes, done 1 hour interviews.

Hired or not hired. The time I spent with them made no difference on whether they got hired or not.

• Like 2
Yeah, so not only did they not pick him, they didn't pick anyone....YET!

That you know of.

Unless you work in that company's specific department OR HR, you don't know what's going on in the background right now.

They could have offered someone else the job over the phone and it's taking time to process, or they are taking a day or two to think about it or are negotiating salary, etc, etc, etc...

They don't take the ad down just because they have a candidate in mind.

• Like 1