Dating when you're in your 20s and live with your parents

xyz1234

I'm in the same situation. Currently looking to buy, I don't have this same issue. For perspective I live in London so house prices are crazy and most people my age are nowhere near buying a house. So someone buying a house at my age I think is a pretty good thing to be able to say.

If it goes on, then again being positive, plus impressing that you do actually do your own laundry/cook etc, (not hard for me as the truth, to be fair i'm basically the only one in the house Mon-Fri anyway so I cook/clean/feed cat). E.g. It's pretty good to be fair, I get to practice my cooking on some pretty tough customers too or whatever comes up.

FWIW, your situation would probably be okay to me - I can empathize with those living in big cities with ridiculous rent prices, and if they actually take care of themselves instead of letting mum and grandma do their laundry and cook them dinner everyday, AND they are making concrete plans to move out, it's possible that living with such a person wouldn't turn into a mummy-son situation.

I would probably wait until that person has moved out and lived on his own for several months first before moving in with him though.

FWIW, your situation would probably be okay to me - I can empathize with those living in big cities with ridiculous rent prices, and if they actually take care of themselves instead of letting mum and grandma do their laundry and cook them dinner everyday, AND they are making concrete plans to move out, it's possible that living with such a person wouldn't turn into a mummy-son situation.

I would probably wait until that person has moved out and lived on his own for several months first before moving in with him though.

Agreed. Hence my mention of the importance of stance and your own positioning on the situation, as long as you clearly/confidently demonstrate that you're not the dependent type. E.g. mum does laundry/cooking, then you're alright.

Re last point, awesome to hear, I think i speak for most guys when I say when I buy my own place I'm thoroughly looking forward to some time on my own first to settle in!:D

OP - Hope this helps

• Like 1

A thread like this is only going to attract the hater-ade from lonely women looking to troll you into oblivion.

Rejected Rosebud
I actually had a woman who had the audacity to tell me that being in the military "doesn't count" as living independently or "living on your own" as the military pays for your food, house, the whole 9-yards.

You actually HAD this woman??:eek::eek:

Just for the record I think that living on your own, being responsible for taking care of your own finances and stuff, doesn't happen in the military, alot of young people go into the service and still don't know how to start doing that stuff when they come out. Maybe it wasn't "audacity" but her perspective might be sort of like mine!!

SweetCharity
The OP does not live in Italy, India or Asia.

Also saying that you live with your parents and have your **** together is an oxymoron.

I recently bought a new Bimmer on finance and even after my mortgage payments and bills I still have enough to frequently shop for clothes, daily starbucks, have regular amazon/ebay/zara deliveries and go out twice a week. My friends consider it to be pretty flashy for a 26yo but If I make ends meet then it's more of a "work hard, play hard" lifestyle as I say. I've got quite a bit of debt (including credit card debt) that I comfortably pay off but I'm probably more financially stable than the OP who has no debt. It also sounds like the OP will have trouble acquiring credit in the future because who wants to lend to a loser that lives with his parents and has never borrowed.

100% agree, best advice. I did this when I didn't have a car :D

You sound like a real prize. NOT. Just because you live a narcissistic materialist lifestyle doesn't mean the OP should. Living with your parents doesn't make you a loser. It's impressive that he has paid off his debts.

You actually HAD this woman??:eek::eek:

Just for the record I think that living on your own, being responsible for taking care of your own finances and stuff, doesn't happen in the military, alot of young people go into the service and still don't know how to start doing that stuff when they come out. Maybe it wasn't "audacity" but her perspective might be sort of like mine!!

If "had" means, talked to once on a dating site then it sounds legit to me.

• Like 1

Get a month-to-month lease?

What are you waiting for to buy the house?

Edited by Popsicle

I guess there is nothing sexy about having a few dates together and wanting to get intimate and not having a place of your own to go. Even worse if she lives with her parents as well.

That being said a real woman wouldn't be this judgmental and would still give you a chance. You're not exactly a loser or anything. You have money, a job, no debts.