What are the benefits for a woman to work at Hooters?

Ok, so it was a long time ago. Summer 1987 after HS graduation and before I went away to college. I was a Hooter's girl. All the girls were college students working and going to school. Young and carefree, making extra money.

I personally never saw anything inappropriate from the managers, staff or the costumers. Sure, men flirted but it was tongue/cheek. It was a restaurant that guys came to on their lunch hours or after golf or on game days to drink beer, eat wings and watch the waitress while she was walking away. ;) There were also a fair amount of couples who came in on Sat. nights too, believe it or not.

There was honestly nothing risqué about working there for me or any of the other girls as far as I was aware of. The costumers and waitress' knew the hook and joke, no big deal.

I'm sure that every single Hooters is different depending on who is managing. Some managers probably push the envelope to try to beat out competition or come in with highest sales, etc...sexual harassment occurs in nursing homes too, for real.

It's probably changed since I worked there but I was quite sheltered and raised in the church. My parents weren't alarmed and I wasn't corrupted...for what it's worth. Hooters really isn't breeding women of ill repute. Just young college girls making some money with their still tight little behinds. It's work. :)

• Like 1
autumnnight
Ok, so it was a long time ago. Summer 1987 after HS graduation and before I went away to college. I was a Hooter's girl. All the girls were college students working and going to school. Young and carefree, making extra money.

I personally never saw anything inappropriate from the managers, staff or the costumers. Sure, men flirted but it was tongue/cheek. It was a restaurant that guys came to on their lunch hours or after golf or on game days to drink beer, eat wings and watch the waitress while she was walking away. ;) There were also a fair amount of couples who came in on Sat. nights too, believe it or not.

There was honestly nothing risqué about working there for me or any of the other girls as far as I was aware of. The costumers and waitress' knew the hook and joke, no big deal.

I'm sure that every single Hooters is different depending on who is managing. Some managers probably push the envelope to try to beat out competition or come in with highest sales, etc...sexual harassment occurs in nursing homes too, for real.

It's probably changed since I worked there but I was quite sheltered and raised in the church. My parents weren't alarmed and I wasn't corrupted...for what it's worth. Hooters really isn't breeding women of ill repute. Just young college girls making some money with their still tight little behinds. It's work. :)

You tart! You singlehandedly destroyed the women's movement AND purity! I beat you with my purse and add you to my prayer list immediately!!

• Like 7
You tart! You singlehandedly destroyed the women's movement AND purity! I beat you with my purse and add you to my prayer list immediately!!

Haha...the shame. Thanks for the prayers! How did I ever have the brains to get a Ph.D?? :laugh:

• Like 1
autumnnight
Haha...the shame. Thanks for the prayers! How did I ever have the brains to get a Ph.D?? :laugh:

Um....they weren't all in your head?

• Like 1
  • Author

'TWIN PEAKS." Who can resist staring at those titties while she's serving those appetizers? HOOTERS, TWIN PEAKS. See a theme??? Let's brainstorm-lets name a restaurant after a man's prized possession. Cock's, Testicles.

Lurkeraspect

I really don't see why this bothers you so much. Big deal, it's s restaurant, end of story. If you somehow find it repulsive, don't go. The women who work there, are just trying to make money and support themselves. Geez. :rolleyes:

• Like 1
'TWIN PEAKS." Who can resist staring at those titties while she's serving those appetizers? HOOTERS, TWIN PEAKS. See a theme??? Let's brainstorm-lets name a restaurant after a man's prized possession. Cock's, Testicles.

There already is one. Its called Tallywhakers...:laugh:

You're behind the times Bobbi.

Back in the day I think working at Hooters was some sort of young girl status symbol, you were sexy and pretty if you were hired. Now though? Nothing special. The girls I knew in college who worked there were still poor, they weren't raking in thousands of dollars, though they hoped to.

I personally think that people blow Hooters out of proportion. I have only been to a Hooters once in my life, and that was when I was 17 and I was on a trip with my sister and my brother-in-law when they were dating.

I noticed attractive women serving for people, including us, but did I think anything of it? Not even a little. I think some people need to get it through their head that the place is just a typical eatery. Sure, the female staff is dressed a certain way, but it's not as bad as one would think. One thing that I DO know is that there are times when Hooters girls do take part in some swimsuit competitions in some other part of the country, and they even model for a certain magazine that is issued sometimes. Of course, that is optional for the women to do that.

Seriously, Hooters is not the same as working at a strip club or even worse, in prostitution. I have been too a strip club once in my life, and while I had fun, sometimes I wonder how these women feel about the perverts who stare at them and make catcalls to them.

• Like 1
You can quote all you want. You're still judging the honest, hardworking, non-slutty women who work there and looking down your nose at them.

It's none of your business.

I went to church with about 200 of you. Mind your own business.

Well, what business is it of yours, pray tell, that you're so militant about it? You must have a dog in this race. You're just wrong about this. This is a horrible thing for young girls and a terrible message to them, and that's everybody's business.

• Like 1
salparadise
The girls I knew in college who worked there were still poor, they weren't raking in thousands of dollars, though they hoped to.

^^^ Ezactly.

Everyone knows what the value proposition is... you wait tables in low end franchise restaurant in a skimpy costume. You give drunken, lecherous idiots permission to blatantly stare and comment on your T&A and describe what they'd like to do to you. You give up whatever smidgeon of self-respect you might've had for the validation that your T&A are sufficient for objectification. Said idiots are so overwhelming appreciative that you smile while they gawk that they leave amazingly generous tips. For these small compromises you get rich fast and retire young ... oops, change that to, make marginally more than you would working a fast food drive-thru.

• Like 2

^ Yes, and as far as just strictly practical reasons for, say, this being a girl's job during or before college, when she gets out and is looking for a serious job, having Hooter's as her experience on her resume qualifies her for what? What does showing your boobs and flirting with customers while carrying a tray exactly qualify you for as a post-graduate? How impressive is that on your resume? Think about who would hire you with that as your work history and skills and who wouldn't. That alone should keep you from wanting to work there if you have college and a real career in mind later.

• Like 1

The girls I knew who worked at Hooters were also the girls who would model for amateur photogs in their underwear...and their only payment was copies of the pictures. It was just delusion, they wanted to be models.

autumnnight
^^^ Ezactly.

Everyone knows what the value proposition is... you wait tables in low end franchise restaurant in a skimpy costume. You give drunken, lecherous idiots permission to blatantly stare and comment on your T&A and describe what they'd like to do to you. You give up whatever smidgeon of self-respect you might've had for the validation that your T&A are sufficient for objectification. Said idiots are so overwhelming appreciative that you smile while they gawk that they leave amazingly generous tips. For these small compromises you get rich fast and retire young ... oops, change that to, make marginally more than you would working a fast food drive-thru.

Oh my effing Lord...you people have obviously never set foot in one of these places.

And, pray tell, my dog in this race is people who judge a women based on her effort to make a living. I have never worked at Hooters.

I am wondering where all these paragons of perfection are coming from, because I have never met a perfect person in my life, and yet they apparently frequent forums at an impressive rate.

Basically, the OP and her friends are calling the young women who work here sluts and hookers.

• Like 3

When I worked at Hooters, I wasn't doing it to support myself, none of the girls were. We were college students and it was a fun waitress job for extra money, that's all.

The guys weren't treating us like strippers because we weren't. We were waitresses. Some of you have a distorted perception of Hooters.

I also never modeled in my underwear, I never modeled at all.

There are lots of assumptions being made because the girls wear short shorts and a crop top. It is hardly scandalous.

I can't speak for all the waitresses but I have a B.A, M.A. and Ph.D. I never once have not gotten a job or been chastised because when I was 18 I worked as a waitress at Hooters. I have an extremely high income.

This thread has taken a very unrealistic and judgmental turn.

• Like 3
BlackOpsZombieGirl

I see where salparadise and preraph are coming from. I have a sweet baby daughter now, but as she grows older and past her teen years, I'm going to instill morals and values in her that she'll carry with her throughout her entire life - and one of the values that I'll teach her will be to attain employment that will enhance her resume and earn her an honest and DECENT living which will utilize the skills that she has acquired via her education as well as her intelligence WHILE attending a local college or uni, whichever she chooses.

I will teach her to allow NO ONE to EVER sexually objectify her and for her to NEVER do that to herself. Sexual objectification and exhibiting her body parts for the purposes of making money will be something she will be repulsed by and will be a notion that she'll NEVER entertain, let alone carry out. My mom taught me these values and I'll be passing this down to my dear daughter.

However, I try not to judge those young women who do decide to go down that unfortunate path. I just feel bad for them; because their parents didn't take the time (nor did they care) to instill decent moral values in their daughters. And as such, these young women feel that the only way they can earn an 'honest' living is to sexually objectify themselves in front of men who go to these breastaurants to ogle them and get a sexual thrill while they're munching down on their wings and guzzling down pitchers of beer.

The young women who do this apparently don't know any better and they weren't raised with any core values; or they don't know (nor do they care to explore) any other avenues with which they can earn a truly honest living without exhibiting their scantily clad bodies for sexual objectification. The tips that these breastaurant waitresses receive aren't any better or higher than those of a high scale restaurant or fine dining establishment. Also, the sad and pathetic truth is...a lot of these young women actually like the perverted attention that they get from men - which makes me wonder if they were sexually molested or abused and how extensive or severe that abuse was.

• Like 2
I see where salparadise and preraph are coming from. I have a sweet baby daughter now, but as she grows older and past her teen years, I'm going to instill morals and values in her that she'll carry with her throughout her entire life - and one of the values that I'll teach her will be to attain employment that will enhance her resume and earn her an honest and DECENT living which will utilize the skills that she has acquired via her education as well as her intelligence WHILE attending a local college or uni, whichever she chooses.

I will teach her to allow NO ONE to EVER sexually objectify her and for her to NEVER do that to herself. Sexual objectification and exhibiting her body parts for the purposes of making money will be something she will be repulsed by and will be a notion that she'll NEVER entertain, let alone carry out. My mom taught me these values and I'll be passing this down to my dear daughter.

However, I try not to judge those young women who do decide to go down that unfortunate path. I just feel bad for them; because their parents didn't take the time (nor did they care) to instill decent moral values in their daughters. And as such, these young women feel that the only way they can earn an 'honest' living is to sexually objectify themselves in front of men who go to these breastaurants to ogle them and get a sexual thrill while they're munching down on their wings and guzzling down pitchers of beer.

The young women who do this apparently don't know any better and they weren't raised with any core values; or they don't know (nor do they care to explore) any other avenues with which they can earn a truly honest living without exhibiting their scantily clad bodies for sexual objectification. The tips that these breastaurant waitresses receive aren't any better or higher than those of a high scale restaurant or fine dining establishment. Also, the sad and pathetic truth is...a lot of these young women actually like the perverted attention that they get from men - which makes me wonder if they were sexually molested or abused and how extensive or severe that abuse was.

Dude you're going way overboard with this. It's nowhere near that bad. It's even half that bad. It's just a freaking restaurant where the girls where cute clothes for crying out loud.

• Like 1

WOW. What an arrogant, presumptuous and completely ignorant post.

How insulting to my wonderful, intelligent and responsible parents. How insulting to all these women you know nothing about. I'm surprised at you guys. Having read your posts and threads, this attitude towards young women working as waitresses is really surprising. You would think you were discussing prostitutes and drug addicts.

Obviously this is your opinion. It hasn't hurt me and I have a successful and fulfilling life. I also know how very wrong you are. That's enough for me.

• Like 2
autumnnight
WOW. What an arrogant, presumptuous and completely ignorant post.

How insulting to my wonderful, intelligent and responsible parents. How insulting to all these women you know nothing about. I'm surprised at you guys. Having read your posts and threads, this attitude towards young women working as waitresses is really surprising. You would think you were discussing prostitutes and drug addicts.

Obviously this is your opinion. It hasn't hurt me and I have a successful and fulfilling life. I also know how very wrong you are. That's enough for me.

I have a nice scarlet H for you Timshel....AND some rocks I plan to throw. You up for it?

• Like 1
So a woman who works at Hooters has no moral values.

dern! well dash that dream of working there as a cook! Or even in their corp office.

Will say , lotsa luck teaching a daughter to never expose her body. Many a lady in board rooms have shown their cajonas to get their way, and i never even knew woman had them. ?

BlackOpsZombieGirl
Dude you're going way overboard with this. It's nowhere near that bad. It's even half that bad. It's just a freaking restaurant where the girls where cute clothes for crying out loud.

C'mon, Jay.:rolleyes: "Cute clothes"? Seriously??:laugh: What guy even says that, let alone even thinks of skimpy clothing as 'cute'?? hehe

It's a "restaurant" whose entire premise is based on womens' BREASTS - hence the breastaurant's name HOOTERS! C'mon now! At least be realistic and honest about what this "restaurant" stands for and about what their 'target audience' is: horny and perverted guys wanting to get their visual fill of T&A under the guise of "just wanting to eat wings and watch sports on the wall mounted tvs". .;)

These types of breastaurants don't affect me in the least because I'd never give them my business anyways. Instead, I choose to patronize actual restaurants whose premise is serving delicious and good quality food for the sole sake of serving delicious and good quality food to the public. I'll reserve giving my hard earned money as tips to the servers that are employed at these fine dining establishments who actually work hard for their wages without exhibiting their body parts to elicit sexual attention from customers.

C'mon, Jay.:rolleyes: "Cute clothes"? Seriously??:laugh: What guy even says that, let alone even thinks of skimpy clothing as 'cute'?? hehe

It's a "restaurant" whose entire premise is based on womens' BREASTS - hence the breastaurant's name HOOTERS! C'mon now! At least be realistic and honest about what this "restaurant" stands for and about what their 'target audience' is: horny and perverted guys wanting to get their visual fill of T&A under the guise of "just wanting to eat wings and watch sports on the wall mounted tvs". .;)

These types of breastaurants don't affect me in the least because I'd never give them my business anyways. Instead, I choose to patronize actual restaurants whose premise is serving delicious and good quality food for the sole sake of serving delicious and good quality food to the public. I'll reserve giving my hard earned money as tips to the servers that are employed at these fine dining establishments who actually work hard for their wages without exhibiting their body parts to elicit sexual attention from customers.

So you've never been?