What are the benefits for a woman to work at Hooters?

I know it's a restaurant that serves food, but c'mon- a name like HOOTER'S?, plus those tight ass bright colored shorts with their ass hanging out and tits popping out through that tiny tank top serving chicken wings? This is a place for men. So now it's considered a family restaurant? Yeah, I'm sure they are booked for kids parties and on Mother's Day. Why not have a restaurant for us ladies-PENIS.

Actually they do have kids' parties. They were more family focused in their original days with the original owner. When they went to franchising it became, in some areas more than others, more risque in look and attitude than others. During the recession the company made an effort to go back to what they considered their original focus, and focus on families. So the outfits were toned down.

Now, they have a higher number of discrimination claims settle/won against them due to their talent hiring practices and having a diverse workforce.

But Hooters now pales in comparison to other start up concepts like Tilted Skirt, etc. They are far worse though aren't showing to be as successful.

And a female focused one? There is. I am blanking on the name but will google it. But it is with male servers/talent and is a play on words for the brand name.

Here we go! http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/06/02/theres-finally-a-hooters-style-restaurant-for-women-its-called-tallywackers/

Tallywackers! I love it, very british. lol

And an article I read a few years ago about the increase of similar concepts. http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/219606

I don't think they have grown over the last few years as much as they had expected. And many of us in the legal/related fields have been waiting with bated breath to see how the EEOC, DOL, etc. handle them.

Edited by Got it
One word.

Tallywhackers...

Who cares if they are strippers to be or the next CEO of a multinational corporation.

If you do not want to look then the answer is simple. Do not go!

They are just trying to make money. They are not robbing banks, they are not robbing your house or beating up old ladies. So why judge them so harshly? Its just boobs and arse. Last time I looked every woman had those (and some men!!) of all shapes and sizes...

This is situational, but a high school friend of mine worked her way through college at Hooters.

• She got paid well due to generous tips.
  • The management at that restaurant was far more flexible with her school schedule than the other options available to her.
  • They provided tuition assistance.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the place since I'm a wing elitist.

I go for the wings. No sarcasm intended.

Quite often they really do have the best wings in town.

Any trouble started is dealt with professionally and no more an issue than a Chili's or any other chain.

For a guy, I'm going to enjoy the atmosphere, drink a beer, eat my wings, and dream of being 21 again. If the service is good, I'm gonna to tip well.

There really is a new upscale restaurant named Talleywackers for the ladies. Somehow, I don't think the wings would taste quite the same there for me, but to each their own.

Most of us are just trying to earn a living whether you're a Tallywhacker or a Hooter.

Glad to see you girls now have your own hotspot!!!:)

PS: There is a Tallywhackesr in Dallas. It does sound very British doesn't it!?!

Edited by lgspot

They probably get at least a discount on the wings.

Beyond that, I'm going to go ahead and guess that girls work there to make money and be responsible, contributing members of society that no one who wasn't an absolutely pathetic, censorious person would judge.

• Like 2

Just google: Hooters lawsuit discrimination and see what all comes up. What don't they discriminate about would be a shorter list.

• Like 1
I know it's a restaurant that serves food, but c'mon- a name like HOOTER'S?, plus those tight ass bright colored shorts with their ass hanging out and tits popping out through that tiny tank top serving chicken wings? This is a place for men. So now it's considered a family restaurant? Yeah, I'm sure they are booked for kids parties and on Mother's Day. Why not have a restaurant for us ladies-PENIS.

Somebody sounds bitter.

Why not start your own restaurant then called PENIS.

Be the change you want to see.

Also... how is this about relationships?

autumnnight

It has been my experience that people who have nothing better to do than look down their noses at how strangers make a living....

Have big noses and small character ;)

• Like 1
Somebody sounds bitter.

Why not start your own restaurant then called PENIS.

Be the change you want to see.

Also... how is this about relationships?

Ok, I'll bite (not the penis)--the relationship thing.

How is this about relationships? Well...

Yes. I'd date a girl that works at Hooters. Might even have a relationship with one if she could stand an old guy that likes wings and beer. :)

autumnnight

I can pull up lawsuits that happened at Chuck-e-Cheeze.

This is your opinion. I think looking down on a young woman who is trying to earn money by working hard is pretty sad

• Like 1
I hear Twin Peaks is the better choice.

Apparently the chicks there make bank.

When they opened up, half the hooters girls went to work for them.

I can pull up lawsuits that happened at Chuck-e-Cheeze.

This is your opinion. I think looking down on a young woman who is trying to earn money by working hard is pretty sad

Okay, but they do have a much higher number of lawsuits than other food concepts. A large number of them with people they wouldn't hire than what happens on the job. But Hooters, being the biggest and first of its kind, has gone through a large influx of lawsuits the last decade.

Again why they have toned things done over the last couple years. The girls wear thick dance tights, shirts aren't as low cut, etc.

Establishments that are very selective in their hiring practices and so discriminate against protected characteristics, are going to get hit with lawsuits.

And when the EEOC starts to really push obesity, which they have been sniffing around for a few years, you are going to see a bigger influx of suits.

Nature of the beast.

• Like 1
autumnnight
Okay, but they do have a much higher number of lawsuits than other food concepts. A large number of them with people they wouldn't hire than what happens on the job. But Hooters, being the biggest and first of its kind, has gone through a large influx of lawsuits the last decade.

Again why they have toned things done over the last couple years. The girls wear thick dance tights, shirts aren't as low cut, etc.

Establishments that are very selective in their hiring practices and so discriminate against protected characteristics, are going to get hit with lawsuits.

And when the EEOC starts to really push obesity, which they have been sniffing around for a few years, you are going to see a bigger influx of suits.

Nature of the beast.

I'd never get hired at Hooters. I am too old, I wear a size 12-14, and i have nursed 2 kids.

You know what? I don't care. I understand WHY they want a certain look, and honestly, because I have eyes and a brain, I KNOW me in tiny orange shorts and a tank top wouldn't be good for business.

When I was in high school, this girl went out for majorette (baton twirler). She was pretty good, but she was fat. Yes, I used the word. She was fat. She didn't make it because of the weight limit, and her mom tried to throw her weight around (pun intended) and threatened to sue. This was the early, not as whiny, 1980's, so it didn't fly. Honestly, it was good. This girl would have looked awful in a sparkly bathing suit, and she would have been made fun of. No, that isn't right (to make fun of people), but that was reality.

Next, people who are 5'4" but good at basketball will be suing the NBA. It's ridiculous. If you don;t have the look for Hooters, don't apply there.

• Like 2
I'd never get hired at Hooters. I am too old, I wear a size 12-14, and i have nursed 2 kids.

You know what? I don't care. I understand WHY they want a certain look, and honestly, because I have eyes and a brain, I KNOW me in tiny orange shorts and a tank top wouldn't be good for business.

When I was in high school, this girl went out for majorette (baton twirler). She was pretty good, but she was fat. Yes, I used the word. She was fat. She didn't make it because of the weight limit, and her mom tried to throw her weight around (pun intended) and threatened to sue. This was the early, not as whiny, 1980's, so it didn't fly. Honestly, it was good. This girl would have looked awful in a sparkly bathing suit, and she would have been made fun of. No, that isn't right (to make fun of people), but that was reality.

Next, people who are 5'4" but good at basketball will be suing the NBA. It's ridiculous. If you don;t have the look for Hooters, don't apply there.

Yes but businesses aren't allow to discriminate against protected classes. You have to show why a certain physical requirement is necessary to do a job - i.e. lift up to 50 pounds to move boxes, etc. But, there are reasonable accommodations required if there are work arounds. So not hiring someone because they are ethnic, or handicapped in general, etc. requires the company to own the risk that they are going to get sued.

And Hooters has been the target for many tied to the EEOC and equal rights attorneys. People were purposely go into places of employment, knowing they are going to get discriminated again, in the whole point to be able to sue them. Some for money, some to make a point/ effect change, etc.

So with Hooters trying to argue that they are hiring actors/talent and so that is why they need a certain look as not fully flown in the courts. So they have had to pay the price. Hasn't changed everything, you don't see males working for them, but it has caused them to tweak their approach.

It is the price of business so these "breastaurants" are all owning these issues/risks and are assuming them as the price of doing business. Hopefully their litigation insurance stays in place and without too high a deductible. :laugh:

Yes but businesses aren't allow to discriminate against protected classes. You have to show why a certain physical requirement is necessary to do a job - i.e. lift up to 50 pounds to move boxes, etc. But, there are reasonable accommodations required if there are work arounds. So not hiring someone because they are ethnic, or handicapped in general, etc. requires the company to own the risk that they are going to get sued.

And Hooters has been the target for many tied to the EEOC and equal rights attorneys. People were purposely go into places of employment, knowing they are going to get discriminated again, in the whole point to be able to sue them. Some for money, some to make a point/ effect change, etc.

So with Hooters trying to argue that they are hiring actors/talent and so that is why they need a certain look as not fully flown in the courts. So they have had to pay the price. Hasn't changed everything, you don't see males working for them, but it has caused them to tweak their approach.

It is the price of business so these "breastaurants" are all owning these issues/risks and are assuming them as the price of doing business. Hopefully their litigation insurance stays in place and without too high a deductible. :laugh:

Geez. And I wonder why the price of wings is so high?!?

It's the d*** lawyers and EEOC once again

Can't we all just get along?

If you don't like the shorts, don't walk through the door.

I probability don't measure up to Tallywhackers, but I'm not gonna sue.

• Like 1

I like Wing House better, but I think they're just in Florida.

However, I like the wings I make myself a whole lot more, as I BBQ them. ****ing delicious. I cannot believe there is not a place that serves BBQ'd wings!!

Should open up my own place. Call it Bigger Hooters. Your waitress will be 36dd+ or your meal is free!

autumnnight

Are big women a protected class now?

My point had nothing to do with lawsuits. My point was that these women who are ragging on and making snide comments about the womnen who DO work there need to mind their own business and stop judging.

SycamoreCircle

Better title for this post:

What are the perks for a woman to work at Hooters?

Went to one of those places once and it was the first and last time.

Food was atrocious and the girls were less than classy to put it nicely.

• Like 1
Geez. And I wonder why the price of wings is so high?!?

It's the d*** lawyers and EEOC once again

Can't we all just get along?

If you don't like the shorts, don't walk through the door.

I probability don't measure up to Tallywhackers, but I'm not gonna sue.

Again it isn't quite that simple. The government as laws/rules set up that businesses have to operate within certain perimeters. If you deviate from them there are consequences.

It has nothing to do with whether or not someone has a personal preference on the length of the shorts. It has to do with employment practices.

• Like 1
Are big women a protected class now?

My point had nothing to do with lawsuits. My point was that these women who are ragging on and making snide comments about the womnen who DO work there need to mind their own business and stop judging.

Obesity is not a protected class under the EEOC. There is some grey on obesity under ADA and accommodations made in that regard and definitely some legal moves to continue to strengthen it. There is some pushing for the EEOC to pick it up but it has not been a focal point of theirs and, honestly, they are operating at a very accelerated rate under the current administration. But the main focus, that I have seen, as to do with issues tied to ACA, immigration, minors has been a very big focus under EEOC and DOL the last few years, etc.

In regards to judgment, eeh. Who cares. Everyone has an opinion and will express them. I am not a supporter of Hooters, have never been, and I don't appreciate/support establishments that objectify women which I feel they all use some level of sex to sell. Plus I am not a fan of that type of food as it is similar to Chili's, Fridays, etc. that all tend to use microwaves over ovens. And being a vegetarian the wings would do nothing for me. :p So just my personal belief.

But very familiar with the food and retail space and they are an interesting company to watch as a business tied to the hurdles they have chosen to have to go through. So I am all about successful entrepreneurs and how they develop their companies.

• Like 2
autumnnight
Obesity is not a protected class under the EEOC. There is some grey on obesity under ADA and accommodations made in that regard and definitely some legal moves to continue to strengthen it. There is some pushing for the EEOC to pick it up but it has not been a focal point of theirs and, honestly, they are operating at a very accelerated rate under the current administration. But the main focus, that I have seen, as to do with issues tied to ACA, immigration, minors has been a very big focus under EEOC and DOL the last few years, etc.

In regards to judgment, eeh. Who cares. Everyone has an opinion and will express them. I am not a supporter of Hooters, have never been, and I don't appreciate/support establishments that objectify women which I feel they all use some level of sex to sell. Plus I am not a fan of that type of food as it is similar to Chili's, Fridays, etc. that all tend to use microwaves over ovens. And being a vegetarian the wings would do nothing for me. :p So just my personal belief.

But very familiar with the food and retail space and they are an interesting company to watch as a business tied to the hurdles they have chosen to have to go through. So I am all about successful entrepreneurs and how they develop their companies.

Your interest makes sense. It was the prudish, self-righteous people comparing the young women to strippers/hookers/etc. that rubbed me wrong.

Your interest makes sense. It was the prudish, self-righteous people comparing the young women to strippers/hookers/etc. that rubbed me wrong.

Yep. Hear that. I just ignore the opinions of the ignoramuses. :p:laugh::D

A few years ago, there was an entire expose done on tv about Hooters and the women being harassed even by their own managers and about them being trained to "get personal" with the customers and all that. I wouldn't let any impressionable teen of mine work there and start thinking all that was just fine and that the way to money is through using their bodies. You can call me a prude if you want to. I know better, so doesn't matter to me what you think. But I know sexual objectification when I see if and I call it what it is when someone is using their bodies to make money. The sheer number of lawsuits this company has had for every issue on the books tells me all I need to know. Plus the testimony of the girls who are told to keep wearing the small size tshirt because once they can't, they no longer have a job. Who in their right mind would sanction that for their teen?

The interviews and testimony I've seen, the girls have both good and bad to say about the place, but none of them deny they're being asked to "get personal" and that their income in tips hinges on doing just that -- because it sure ain't the food people are going there for, unless they have appalling taste in food.

autumnnight
A few years ago, there was an entire expose done on tv about Hooters and the women being harassed even by their own managers and about them being trained to "get personal" with the customers and all that. I wouldn't let any impressionable teen of mine work there and start thinking all that was just fine and that the way to money is through using their bodies. You can call me a prude if you want to. I know better, so doesn't matter to me what you think. But I know sexual objectification when I see if and I call it what it is when someone is using their bodies to make money. The sheer number of lawsuits this company has had for every issue on the books tells me all I need to know. Plus the testimony of the girls who are told to keep wearing the small size tshirt because once they can't, they no longer have a job. Who in their right mind would sanction that for their teen?

The interviews and testimony I've seen, the girls have both good and bad to say about the place, but none of them deny they're being asked to "get personal" and that their income in tips hinges on doing just that -- because it sure ain't the food people are going there for, unless they have appalling taste in food.

You can quote all you want. You're still judging the honest, hardworking, non-slutty women who work there and looking down your nose at them.

It's none of your business.

I went to church with about 200 of you. Mind your own business.