SCOTUS on religious liberty [relevant to recent decision on same-sex marriage]

pureinheart
Yes and no. Divorce is usually brought up as one of those things the " sanctity of marriage " people sweep under the rug, so I'm just hoping that it's not like all of a sudden people care.

But how could anyone predict divorce rates? Sure, you can analyze previous data, but predicting more divorce based on what information exactly?

What if the gay divorce rate hovers around 15 to 20 percent?

I think there were stats in the article from actual gay marriages, but can't remember. The stats I do remember are the gay relationships. Typically if the relationship didn't last, it will end in divorce.

Gay is nothing new to CA... you know that. I know many gay people and I've yet to see 1 relationship last. In fact the gays had me beat by a long shot!

I think there were stats in the article from actual gay marriages, but can't remember. The stats I do remember are the gay relationships. Typically if the relationship didn't last, it will end in divorce.

Gay is nothing new to CA... you know that. I know many gay people and I've yet to see 1 relationship last. In fact the gays had me beat by a long shot!

The takeaway I get from that is that all relationships are terrible. Lol.

Maybe not in California, but certainly in the previously non gay marriage states I bet there will be impulse marriages. If you know what I mea. I'm sure those are destined to fail.

Have your seen this new video from Russia? Two gay guys walking down the street holding hands? I wonder how close to the south that representation is.

autumnnight
The takeaway I get from that is that all relationships are terrible. Lol.

Maybe not in California, but certainly in the previously non gay marriage states I bet there will be impulse marriages. If you know what I mea. I'm sure those are destined to fail.

Have your seen this new video from Russia? Two gay guys walking down the street holding hands? I wonder how close to the south that representation is.

Not very. I've never seen any gay people harassed in any of the southern cities/towns I have lived in in the south.

Are you saying that you have not personally been aware of a single homosexual relationship that didn't end in separation? There are thousands of gay couples who have been together for decades. If you watched the media coverage of the Scotus ruling you'd see that the first couple married were two men in ther 80's who had been together for over 50 years. That's pretty lasting don't you think?

Also i think you would be surprised if you looked up how many gay couples and gay people have adopted children. Knowing your stance on abortion it would seem like you would be all for children being given the chance to live in a home where they are provided for and looked after. It's not like gay couples are stealing children from heterosexual couples either. There are so many kids in orphanages/foster care/group homes and not enough adoptive parents who want them. I haven't read the 18 pages of replies here so I'm sure people have explained their stance in detail, I just haven't seen the direct negative impact on a heterosexual persons life by gay marriage being ruled on this way.

autumnnight
Are you saying that you have not personally been aware of a single homosexual relationship that didn't end in separation? There are thousands of gay couples who have been together for decades. If you watched the media coverage of the Scotus ruling you'd see that the first couple married were two men in ther 80's who had been together for over 50 years. That's pretty lasting don't you think?

Also i think you would be surprised if you looked up how many gay couples and gay people have adopted children. Knowing your stance on abortion it would seem like you would be all for children being given the chance to live in a home where they are provided for and looked after. It's not like gay couples are stealing children from heterosexual couples either. There are so many kids in orphanages/foster care/group homes and not enough adoptive parents who want them. I haven't read the 18 pages of replies here so I'm sure people have explained their stance in detail, I just haven't seen the direct negative impact on a heterosexual persons life by gay marriage being ruled on this way.

Not speaking to my own beliefs about homosexuality in particular, but I find the reasoning you described to be much like people who are against abortion but are also against all forms of birth control. We do not want the 18 year old college freshman who has no religious objection to sex before marriage to have an abortion....but we also don't want her to have access to any birth control.

Not speaking to my own beliefs about homosexuality in particular, but I find the reasoning you described to be much like people who are against abortion but are also against all forms of birth control. We do not want the 18 year old college freshman who has no religious objection to sex before marriage to have an abortion....but we also don't want her to have access to any birth control.

What?!? Where did you make the jump from homosexuality to abortion and birth control? What in my post gave you that impression exactly? Are you opposed to a gay couple adopting a child that would otherwise go through their life without a family or people to love/care/provide for them?

autumnnight
What?!? Where did you make the jump from homosexuality to abortion and birth control? What in my post gave you that impression exactly? Are you opposed to a gay couple adopting a child that would otherwise go through their life without a family or people to love/care/provide for them?

I was actually agreeing with you. Sorry I didn't make that clear.

Along those lines, has there ever been a study that looks at the differences between kids raised in single parent vs same sex parent vs traditional parent households? In case the same sex parents scenario is harmful in some way that the others arent, what way is it?

Religious liberty and the SCOTUS decision on gay marriage.

Resist temptation to slide, yet again, into another political discussion on gays, and especially on abortion, which is totally non-sequitur to this discussion. We just had a large group of members who didn't listen to moderation come off suspension so let's not head down that road again. Thanks!

Along those lines, has there ever been a study that looks at the differences between kids raised in single parent vs same sex parent vs traditional parent households? In case the same sex parents scenario is harmful in some way that the others arent, what way is it?

Different = dangerous. Irrationally so. The human mind has always classified the unknown as scary. That's where I think most of the fear comes from.

That and the belief that being gay can rub off ( haha) on some one over time. Perhaps they think the gay will transfer to the child..

• Like 1
autumnnight

Honestly, I think sometimes kids do BETTER with a single parent than in the house where there is strife, disrespect, abject unhappiness, etc.

So moral debate aside, I would think two people who marry and actually know how to love each other would be a better model than, to be frank, the picture of marriage MY kids got.