How would you feel if you started a new job and then all of a sudden you find out

• Author
Probably never. In order to keep moving up quickly, you need to keep jumping. Generally speaking, opportunities that provide upwards mobility don't occur as often within the company as they do if you go looking outside.

We're in the same field (IT) and in a large city like Boston, where opportunities are literally everywhere... there's very little reason to stay unless the company is just amazing and can provide things nobody else does. This is rare, thus no reason to stick it out.

For context... most friends I made over two years ago in a job are now in their second or third company since I left, and have moved upwards. And yes, I left for a better opportunity too.

This is a little different in smaller cities where the job market is slower, but really... this is NOT the issue it used to be. In your position, I wouldn't even think twice about leaving a job after 16 months.

The only way i would leave is for a company on the floor below which I have a connection to from someone I work with now and someone I used to work with.

But far as applying somewhere, Nope

The only way i would leave is for a company on the floor below which I have a connection to from someone I work with now and someone I used to work with.

But far as applying somewhere, Nope

Well, then that's a choice you're making. It has nothing to do with not being able to get a new job.

• Like 2
  • Author
Well, then that's a choice you're making. It has nothing to do with not being able to get a new job.

Plus you have to make sure you are transitioning to a stable organization so if I leave here I want to move to another place that is stable

• Like 1
Plus you have to make sure you are transitioning to a stable organization so if I leave here I want to move to another place that is stable

I can understand this sentiment. I had a job in 2013 that entered bankruptcy about a week or two after my hiring date...they exited bankruptcy the day they let me go. Lesson is research research research and be sure to find out turnover rates.

• Author
I can understand this sentiment. I had a job in 2013 that entered bankruptcy about a week or two after my hiring date...they exited bankruptcy the day they let me go. Lesson is research research research and be sure to find out turnover rates.

Exactly, nothing wrong with a new opportunity but just make sure there is not a high turnover rate. It was a good feeling to hear that every time I asked someone how long they worked at my current job, the answer was always 4 years or more

imtooconfused

This actually happened to me. On my very first day on the job they had the big meeting announcing the move. No one claimed to know during the interviews except for "rumors." As it turns out, that was in a technological field that was dying and the whole division was disbanded a few years later. In that case, all I could do is move forward to the next gig.

I don't have any help for the OP other than that's the world of big business now. Nothing, and I mean absolutely nothing is for certain.

• Author

I had to chuckle at this rumor today

Things are so bad that we may not get raises for 7 years

Lol. That is good and bad news

• 4 weeks later...