How would you feel if you started a new job and then all of a sudden you find out

• Author
OP, what kind of answer are you seeking? Or do you just want to rant?

It's just me ranting because I am annoyed but the whole situation. I never had a job in the ghetto

They not in that bad of shape because they still hiring lol

You'd be surprised at the idiocy I've seen with companies. My husband worked for a company who hired people only weeks before seasonal downturns and people would suddenly get 5-10 hours of work. Why they hired people when they KNEW business was slowing down is beyond me, but it happens. The company that laid me off in 2013 was going through bankruptcy just a week or 2 after hiring me and exited bankruptcy the same day they let me go. I don't think it's a coincidence either. Employees have to look out for their own welfare these days.

How would you look for another job if you just started one? That's the point I am making if someone accepted the job and then hit with this bombshell they would be stuck.

Easy, you don't list the last place on your resume.

Problem solved.

Stop making excuses about "you can't look for another job while you just started a new one". I've seen plenty of people do it in my life time and I actually had a job offer come in a week after I started a new job once.

• Like 1

Employers 'mismanage' funds all the time. They have reasons to save money all the time, nothing new. You need to adapt OP, resilience is an essential attribute. You'll find it's probably not all bad, just tone down the clothes if you like to dress expensively.

• Author
Easy, you don't list the last place on your resume.

Problem solved.

Stop making excuses about "you can't look for another job while you just started a new one". I've seen plenty of people do it in my life time and I actually had a job offer come in a week after I started a new job once.

Explain to me how you would go on a job interview if you just started a new job? Lol

GorillaTheater
Explain to me how you would go on a job interview if you just started a new job? Lol

You could fudge a little and call in sick. Also, many employers including us will do lunch hour interviews to accomodate folks who can't take off from their jobs.

Easy, schedule an interview for 8 AM. Have "car trouble".

Go to interview.

I don't understand what is so hard about this?

You are the one complaining about having a job in the ghetto. I think you are complaining just to complain.

• Like 1
  • Author
You could fudge a little and call in sick. Also, many employers including us will do lunch hour interviews to accomodate folks who can't take off from their jobs.

You can't call in sick during probation so that's out. And even if you did what happens if they want to interview for a second time? Call in sick again during probation? Lol. And it's not possible to go to a interview on your lunch break because of interviewing time and travel time.

• Author
Easy, schedule an interview for 8 AM. Have "car trouble".

Go to interview.

I don't understand what is so hard about this?

You are the one complaining about having a job in the ghetto. I think you are complaining just to complain.

What if they can't meet you that early then what?

GorillaTheater
What if they can't meet you that early then what?

Figure something out, fer crissakes. Be a problem solver.

Or just keep complaining how things won't work. Your choice.

• Like 1
  • Author
Figure something out, fer crissakes. Be a problem solver.

Or just keep complaining how things won't work. Your choice.

It's nothing to figure out, the person would be stuck like chuck

It's nothing to figure out, the person would be stuck like chuck

It appears "Chuck" does not have the skill sets prospective employers are looking for. I have been recruited as well as involved in recruiting efforts where interviews were held before or after work hours. Prospective employers will work with the right candidates. It's all about supply and demand.

Where there is a will there is a way. While I agree that it's still an "employer's market", there are people who have multiple offers while being employed by their current employer.

It's your choice, "Chuck". Enjoy being stuck!

• Like 1

Why are we still talking about this?

You are perfectly capable of resolving this issue. Here are your two choices:

1) Find a new job

2) Complain and do nothing.

You have chosen 2 because you have all kinds of excuses why you can't find a new job.

Oh, btw?

Newsflash: HUNDREDS (maybe thousands?) of people are job searching as we speak, while employed.

If they can do it, so can you. Quit whining and do something.

• Like 3
It appears "Chuck" does not have the skill sets prospective employers are looking for. I have been recruited as well as involved in recruiting efforts where interviews were held before or after work hours. Prospective employers will work with the right candidates. It's all about supply and demand.

Where there is a will there is a way. While I agree that it's still an "employer's market", there are people who have multiple offers while being employed by their current employer.

It's your choice, "Chuck". Enjoy being stuck!

Exactly. At my prior employer I was recruited into my new job, all after normal working hours without me having to miss even a minute of work to deal with it. And I wasn't even looking for other work at the time I was contacted, but it was a really great offer so I went with it.

If you're that unhappy with where your employer is moving, you can always look for another job. Prospective employers will understand and probably admire that you can't and won't shirk your current responsibilities in order to explore your options.

• Author

I'm not stuck it's not time for me to leave yet.

I'm talking about someone who is about to be hired and then find out they will have to work in the hood.

• Author
Why are we still talking about this?

You are perfectly capable of resolving this issue. Here are your two choices:

1) Find a new job

2) Complain and do nothing.

You have chosen 2 because you have all kinds of excuses why you can't find a new job.

Oh, btw?

Newsflash: HUNDREDS (maybe thousands?) of people are job searching as we speak, while employed.

If they can do it, so can you. Quit whining and do something.

I'm not scheduled to leave until 2017/18

• Like 1

It sounds like you have been there for a couple years, correct? That's not that new. Anyways, my current job isn't in the best area and the last job I had was broken into once and the windows broken 3 times in the 6 months I worked there. It was still a job and it's not like I had to live there. All the bad stuff happened at night when no one was in the office, so there wasn't much to worry about. If your job isn't that tolerable, just look for something else until you get hired. You can easily explain to another employer that the company is relocating and you're looking for something closer to home. Simple. You're making too much out of this.

• Author
It sounds like you have been there for a couple years, correct? That's not that new. Anyways, my current job isn't in the best area and the last job I had was broken into once and the windows broken 3 times in the 6 months I worked there. It was still a job and it's not like I had to live there. All the bad stuff happened at night when no one was in the office, so there wasn't much to worry about. If your job isn't that tolerable, just look for something else until you get hired. You can easily explain to another employer that the company is relocating and you're looking for something closer to home. Simple. You're making too much out of this.

This thread is not about me because I am not going anywhere until 2018. I was referring to the women who have been interviewed and once they are hired they will find out they will not be working at the place the interview was held because the job is moving to the hood.

I am not happy about the move but I know I have financial goals so I will just FLOAT to the new area and deal with it.

My definition of ghetto

"area with no option to buy food and no other businesses around with the projects nearby"

sbga5, the definition on "ghetto" is: A ghetto is a part of a city in which members of a minority group live, especially because of social, legal, or economic pressure. - as I'm sure you already know. It has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with options to buy food abd no other businesses around. Several of your posts smack of bigotry, and I'm not buying your rationale about "concern fo women being interviewed". I have no idea how long you intend to keep this thread alive, but I'm done here.

Edited by applej4
whichwayisup
I'm not scheduled to leave until 2017/18

Then there's plenty of time after your probation period to look for another job.

The company is stupid to locate to such a dangerous area, obviously it's a money saving move. Though with that said, hopefully they'll hire a bunch of security guards to make employees feel safer - I'd want someone to walk me to my car at the end of my shift (if this area really is unsafe).

PS am I having a deja vu? Did you post about this issue before? ;)

• Author
Then there's plenty of time after your probation period to look for another job.

The company is stupid to locate to such a dangerous area, obviously it's a money saving move. Though with that said, hopefully they'll hire a bunch of security guards to make employees feel safer - I'd want someone to walk me to my car at the end of my shift (if this area really is unsafe).

PS am I having a deja vu? Did you post about this issue before? ;)

Nope I didn't

I also heard that they have the money to pay the high rent they just don't want to which is really weird

I would do my own research on the area the company is moving to. Just because people "say" one thing doesn't mean its true. Also the company does not have to disclose they are moving and a 25 minute commute is nothing. If it is really that unsafe you can ask for the company to provide someone to walk with you to and from your car or the train station also have pepper spray. If you still don't want the job look elsewhere.