How would you feel if you started a new job and then all of a sudden you find out

• Author
I would do my own research on the area the company is moving to. Just because people "say" one thing doesn't mean its true. Also the company does not have to disclose they are moving and a 25 minute commute is nothing. If it is really that unsafe you can ask for the company to provide someone to walk with you to and from your car or the train station also have pepper spray. If you still don't want the job look elsewhere.

It will be 25 mns added to the current commute time making it 50 mins

whichwayisup
Nope I didn't

I also heard that they have the money to pay the high rent they just don't want to which is really weird

Then it's possible someone else has a similar situation, company moving into a bad area and lots of people are quitting due to the commute and location. Just seems so familiar, all that you've posted about!

It is weird, if they have the money why relocate to that particular area of Town?!

• Author
Then it's possible someone else has a similar situation, company moving into a bad area and lots of people are quitting due to the commute and location. Just seems so familiar, all that you've posted about!

It is weird, if they have the money why relocate to that particular area of Town?!

Only thing I can think of is greed

Only thing I can think of is greed

Tons of companies choose to place their offices in less-desirable parts of a city for the sake of saving money.

So what? You don't actually know anything about what they're doing with their money, nor is it any of your business.

For all YOU know, they chose to move to a "worse" location instead of cutting jobs, or they are part of a government gentrification project, etc.

• Author
Tons of companies choose to place their offices in less-desirable parts of a city for the sake of saving money.

So what? You don't actually know anything about what they're doing with their money, nor is it any of your business.

For all YOU know, they chose to move to a "worse" location instead of cutting jobs, or they are part of a government gentrification project, etc.

I heard it was because management mismanaged Funds. So that's why we are leaving this nice area

8 people have resigned so far

I heard it was because management mismanaged Funds. So that's why we are leaving this nice area

8 people have resigned so far

Right, you "heard" that, but you don't actually know anything about the situation, right?

Hey, maybe it's not true at all and just came up with this story so people would resign and THEN they don't have to move at all! [/sarcasm].

• Author
Right, you "heard" that, but you don't actually know anything about the situation, right?

Hey, maybe it's not true at all and just came up with this story so people would resign and THEN they don't have to move at all! [/sarcasm].

A very small part of me was thinking that

• Like 1
whichwayisup
Nope I didn't

I also heard that they have the money to pay the high rent they just don't want to which is really weird

You did post about this before..http://www.loveshack.org/forums/platonic/business-professional-relationships/518556-i-can-t-believe-some-my-coworkers-would-rather-take-unemployment-than-move

lol I thought I was going crazy, your story was so familiar.

So they are hoping more employees come forward and resign so it'll save the company more money.

• Like 1
  • Author
You did post about this before..http://www.loveshack.org/forums/platonic/business-professional-relationships/518556-i-can-t-believe-some-my-coworkers-would-rather-take-unemployment-than-move

So they are hoping more employees come forward and resign so it'll save the company more money.

Yeah I hope you are right but I doubt it

I knew I heard this story before as well!

• Like 1
  • Author
I knew I heard this story before as well!

It won't be anyone left by time we move in June and they will have to hire all new people

so ask for a pay rise then

everyone else has left

you'll be doing extra work to compensate?

i'd ask for 10% extra for every person that leaves

+.... and extra 10 for every extra mile you have to commute now??

sound fair?

aM

• Author
so ask for a pay rise then

everyone else has left

you'll be doing extra work to compensate?

i'd ask for 10% extra for every person that leaves

+.... and extra 10 for every extra mile you have to commute now??

sound fair?

aM

I am doing extra work now due to all the people leaving and getting paid for overtime.

or you can just be grateful for what you got ???

i' m a fair boss...well i like to think so!:bunny:

but even i break sometimes with the crap i hear from my staff

know what I say to them?

"you are not chained. There's NO fence stopping you from leaving"

aM

I am doing extra work now due to all the people leaving and getting paid for overtime.

how you feel about that? good or bad?

aM

• Author
how you feel about that? good or bad?

aM

I like it because I am able to accomplish my financial goals like

1. Increasing my savings

2. Paying off my credit card

• Author
or you can just be grateful for what you got ???

i' m a fair boss...well i like to think so!:bunny:

but even i break sometimes with the crap i hear from my staff

know what I say to them?

"you are not chained. There's NO fence stopping you from leaving"

aM

Since my last job was only 10 months and I been at this job 16 months, I can't go anywhere right now. The only way I can leave is through a referral from another person to a certain job which would mean I would not be applying as a outsider.

good:confused:

Dont worry about any of your co workers!

You have a great heart in you

i can see that by the way you are more concerned about

them than yourself

look after yourself 1st thou

Only when you can do that

Then you can help your team

aM

Since my last job was only 10 months and I been at this job 16 months, I can't go anywhere right now. The only way I can leave is through a referral from another person to a certain job which would mean I would not be applying as a outsider.

this^^^ is bull crap

you can go and do anything

• Author
this^^^ is bull crap

you can go and do anything

With two jobs back to back that is a year or less?

WHAT YOU ON ABOUT??

Anyway i think you have got your answer to what you 1st asked

now go put it in play

aM

With two jobs back to back that is a year or less?

Yes. My husband has three of those on his resume right now. He still got snapped up for a better role within a month of making himself available. He also gets tons of interest from recruiters who have seen his resume posted online.

The job market is not what it was 20 years ago. It's really not the issue you're making it out to be anymore. It sounds more like you're using it as an excuse to not move a finger and keep complaining.

• Author
Yes. My husband has three of those on his resume right now. He still got snapped up for a better role within a month of making himself available. He also gets tons of interest from recruiters who have seen his resume posted online.

The job market is not what it was 20 years ago. It's really not the issue you're making it out to be anymore. It sounds more like you're using it as an excuse to not move a finger and keep complaining.

But at what point is your husband going to show some loyalty? I mean can he atleast give a company 3 years of service before leaving his current job?

But at what point is your husband going to show some loyalty? I mean can he atleast give a company 3 years of service before leaving his current job?

Probably never. In order to keep moving up quickly, you need to keep jumping. Generally speaking, opportunities that provide upwards mobility don't occur as often within the company as they do if you go looking outside.

We're in the same field (IT) and in a large city like Boston, where opportunities are literally everywhere... there's very little reason to stay unless the company is just amazing and can provide things nobody else does. This is rare, thus no reason to stick it out.

For context... most friends I made over two years ago in a job are now in their second or third company since I left, and have moved upwards. And yes, I left for a better opportunity too.

This is a little different in smaller cities where the job market is slower, but really... this is NOT the issue it used to be. In your position, I wouldn't even think twice about leaving a job after 16 months.