Why is height often a deal breaker for girls?

RenegadeMonster

DivorcedDad123

I know some gorgeous women who were or are dating,or are married to, shorter guys.There's plenty out there.

One is in her 40's and a fitness queen. Rockin' body,beautiful smile,kind,great personality and her ex was a good 4-5 inches shorter. She's not 6' tall either. About 5'8". He was shorter,had a habit of burping while eating with people he's just met,had one eye that looked a different direction,and was just an a$$ all around. She has trouble getting decent guys to even talk to her.

Another is in her 40's,about 6' tall,slender,beautiful,long dark hair,dark skin,and kind as she can be. Her husband is a good guy,just shorter than her.

There's going to be women(and or men) that won't date shorter. Sometimes it has to do with public perception. If a girl is somewhat taller,she's probably been teased about it when younger. Dating a shorter guy will only accentuate her height and her insecurity. I've had overweight female friends tell me that they're self conscious when we go out somewhere,because it only makes them feel bigger. Some women want to be seen with men with a$$e$ bigger than theirs as they put it. lol

Don't take it personal if someone uses that as an issue. Chances are it's deeply engrained in them for one reason or another.

Golden Guitar
I didn't know sperm banks had a height requirement? Why is this? Is it because they find when people pick from genetic attributes that they are looking for height is one of the most common attributes people look for and enough people don't select heights shorter than 5'10" that there isn't a need for this sperm?

It certainly isn't because shorter men are genetically inferrer. But it's stuff like this us average height or shorter height men see all the time that can certainly not be a confidence booster. For me I laugh it off when I see stuff like this online.

It doesn't effect my confidence because I would try just as hard to ask out a girl the same height as the last girl who dismissed me for being to short. It's not a deterrent to me. But it certainly is annoying when you get rejected due to your height.

Because sperm banks are a business like any other. Supply and demand. Women are not demanding sperm from 5'6 men. So they only accept sperm from men they know they can sell. Once again, if egg donor clinics said "we are only accepting eggs from women with 34 C breasts and above," there would be an uproar.

Short men are not genetically inferior. They are just short. But look at some of the things women have written here as to why they prefer taller.

"Status symbol," "more masculine," "stronger looking," "short men are seen as lower status," "short men are seen as not as healthy because they are shorter," "it's evolutionary, we are programmed to want tall men."

As a shorter man reading that, how do you respond to that?

markleymassraff

And men do say things like "please be fit" or "please be skinny." Like I said, it's the tone of the overall profile that makes it crass or insulting, not a single preference stated.

• Like 1
Golden Guitar
And men do say things like "please be fit" or "please be skinny." Like I said, it's the tone of the overall profile that makes it crass or insulting, not a single preference stated.

Well in my opinion, when your entire profile is asking that any potential matches be tall, and that is all you have taken the time out to write, you are being insulting.

Like I said, there are short men around the world reading these things. We have feelings you know.

markleymassraff
The comparison I'm making is that we are born with the genes we have. Some women are born flat chested, with surgery, they can change that. Just as short men can change their height (a little bit) with surgery. But both of those things, height and curves, are genetically influenced.

I have not seen decent, well meaning profiles online. At least not on Tinder, which is what I started using.

Quite literally the profiles say what I mentioned. "6' or over," or "tall men only."

You are ignoring everything else about the person and basically just saying the only thing you're concerned about in your partner is that they are taller than you.

Well I am not on dating sites and have not been for a long time. But I would argue that a person who says "6' or over" or "tall men only" is not necessarily ignoring everything else about the person. They are simply saying they want to choose from men who are 6' or in the tall range. Some of those men might still get eliminated regardless of their being "tall enough," but said profile-writer wants to choose from that pool.

Again, though, I'm not on dating sites.

I'm actually seeing a guy right now who is 6' (it's only for a while, though; he's in town for two weeks and is going back to California; there's no chance of us seriously dating). But I actually am not that into him even though he's 6'. On a scale from 1 to 10 in terms of "into him," I'm at like a 6 toward him. In contrast, the guy I really like, my interest is at a 9/10.

Nobody is choosing anybody solely on height! Usually women want to be really into a guy who happens to also be tall.

Work with what you're given, guys. As a woman I am judged all the time on my appearance and on aspects of my appearance that I can't control. If a woman looking for a hookup wants a tall guy, she has every right to say "tall guys only". Just like a guy has every right to not be attracted to me or to any woman for some genetically predetermined factor.

I mean I get that it hurts and personally I have dated men as short as 5'4" (my height) so I'm not a heightist, but women in general preferring taller men isn't something you can change with rational discourse. You just have to find a way to build confidence and move past it.

• Like 1
  • Author
RenegadeMonster

I have not seen decent, well meaning profiles online. At least not on Tinder, which is what I started using.

Quite literally the profiles say what I mentioned. "6' or over," or "tall men only."

I too have been using Tinder Recently. Mainly because I have found there are a lot more women in my area on Tinder than POF, Match, OKC being in a rural area.

In my honest opinion, I have seen far less of women making these statements on their Tinder profile. I see it the most on POF and OKC.

So far only one girl on tinder called it out, and I don't blame her and understand why she did. She just wrote "I'm 5'11"", a few other things about her self and then included "No Short Guys".

A few other girls just put "I'm Tall" in their description. But never said anything about requiring a taller guy.

That being said, I think girls are still picky on Tinder. Like the 5'5" girl who asked me right off how tall I was and when I answered "a little over 5'8"" she simply responded with "bye" and unmatched us. But that is the only rejection I can truly account for based on height from Tinder.

But I had an other experience on Tinder I thought I share that was height related.

When I first created my Tinder Account, I had my first picture as picture of me with a female lead singer of a rock band standing outside of Fenway Park on the side walk. It was a great picture of me, but the singer was also a tall girl at around 5'8" so she was about a half inch shorter than me.

After being on tinder for a full week and getting no matchings, I asked a friend of mine who was a female to look at my Tinder profile and see what I could do to make matches. I had already swiped left or right on everyone within 30 Miles of me and nothing was coming.

This is what she told me:

Girls on don't spend as much time looking at a guys profile than a guy spend looking at a girls profile. If a girl doesn't like the first picture she won't take the time to look at the second picture or read your about you section. She will simply swipe left and move on to the next guy. Your first picture of you is a good picture of you, but a bad picture for Tinder. You are about the same height as the singer and when girls see this they think you are really short, shorter than what you are and swipe left without a second thought.

And wouldn't you know it, as soon as I changed my first picture I got 4 matches that day and continue to get more matches.

So was the fact that I was the same height as a taller girl in a picture a determine to girls and they were rejecting me on that basis? I would have to say most likely some were.

Girls, do you have any input on why a lot of girls have such high standards when it comes to height. Also would you date someone only a couple inches taller than you or shorter than you or would you rule them out before giving them a chance?

fwiw, I think there's actually a consideration of aesthetics for some people. Glaring differences in height and um width can make for what doesn't look like a good physical match to outside observers, which can lead to self-consciousness, which of course leads to insecurity which of course is not a desirable trait to have and an unpleasant sensation. You may think that's vain, but everyone has these concerns/standards to some degree. Ask yourself if you'd date a 3" tall person or a 9" tall person, assuming you were 6" tall.

I don't have any actual number cut off ranges, but personally I like women who are in the same basic ballpark height as me, and I can tolerate a bit more of a difference with men, for the aesthetics reasons I listed above. I don't really want a guy who towers over me, but I think it looks and feels more uncomfortable with a woman (like if I towered over her or she towered over me). Just my personal preference.

markleymassraff
Well in my opinion, when your entire profile is asking that any potential matches be tall, and that is all you have taken the time out to write, you are being insulting.

Like I said, there are short men around the world reading these things. We have feelings you know.

I guess if that truly is ALL a woman writes on her profile. "Please be a tall guy." and that's ALL....well, that's odd. Even then though, she may actually discriminate personality-wise, anyway, amongst the tall men she meets; she might just really not want to hear from short guys.

As far as "short guys reading those profiles," women with relatively flat chests are reading profiles too, so are women who are chubby or fat, so are women who...have a lot of physical characteristics not preferred.

markleymassraff

Oh, and I think Tinder has very short profiles. It's a Twitter-like dating site where you can only say like five sentences.

Golden Guitar
Work with what you're given, guys. As a woman I am judged all the time on my appearance and on aspects of my appearance that I can't control. If a woman looking for a hookup wants a tall guy, she has every right to say "tall guys only". Just like a guy has every right to not be attracted to me or to any woman for some genetically predetermined factor.

I mean I get that it hurts and personally I have dated men as short as 5'4" (my height) so I'm not a heightist, but women in general preferring taller men isn't something you can change with rational discourse. You just have to find a way to build confidence and move past it.

But why is that so? Why is it that short men have to accept their height and find a way out of it, and other physical things are defended against?

Women support girls like Lena Dunham and Mindy Kaling in droves. Girls that do not have the stereotypical model body that Hollywood demands. Whenever someone makes a joke or says something mean about Melissa McCarthy, people are up in arms.

But who is out there defending short men? Who out there says "no, discriminating against men because they are short is just as wrong as discriminating against a woman who doesn't have an hourglass figure."

You don't see that. The message seems to be "yeah, I'm not going to lie, being short sucks. Accept it because we will not budge on this issue."

Height is like age, or race, or any number of other preferences people have. I can't be offended if a guy doesn't want to date a tall black chick. It just is what it is.

I prefer a tall guy. I am tall! But have I ever been interested in shorter guys? Absolutely. Height had nothing to do with it. Attractive comes in a lot of different forms.

Golden Guitar

Anyway, I do not want to keep going back and forth on this with people. I think I said everything I wanted to say. Bottom line is that it hurts to see girls say some of the things I have read here and elsewhere. I am comfortable in who I am and don't need to pretend to be macho all the time. It hurts hearing that they will never date a shorter man, that taller men are a status symbol for them, that taller men are more masculine and can protect them better than I can, that they know it is a shallow requirement but are not going to budge on it. It hurts to know that as much as I give as a person, and as much as I try to be the best man a girl could ask for, some girls will not even give me a second look purely based on how tall I am when I am standing.

But why is that so? Why is it that short men have to accept their height and find a way out of it, and other physical things are defended against?

Women support girls like Lena Dunham and Mindy Kaling in droves. Girls that do not have the stereotypical model body that Hollywood demands. Whenever someone makes a joke or says something mean about Melissa McCarthy, people are up in arms.

But who is out there defending short men? Who out there says "no, discriminating against men because they are short is just as wrong as discriminating against a woman who doesn't have an hourglass figure."

You don't see that. The message seems to be "yeah, I'm not going to lie, being short sucks. Accept it because we will not budge on this issue."

There are loads of short guys who are actors and in the media.

No-one defends them because they apparently do not need defending.

• Like 2
I'm not tall, but I wouldn't say that I'm short either and close to average height being between somewhere between 5'8" and 5'9".

I am often finding that girls won't even give me a chance based on height. I'm one who likes to get to know someone. I like to see if we are compatible and get a long good before ruling someone else out. I don't rule a person out based on height, weight or appearance before getting to know them. I'd probably in fact have no problem dating a girl taller than me as I find my self attracted to athletic girls between 5'10" and 6'0" who have muscular legs and and a cute butt if the girl would give me the chance.

I'm 29 years old right now and all my girlfriends have been between 4'11" and 5'3". Any time I have asked out a girl taller than that, or tried to make communication on dating sites with a girl taller than that I so far to date have shut down on the basis of height.

For example, I recently asked out a girl I knew and was becoming friends with who is 5'6" and was told by her that she is 5'6", 5'10" in heels and couldn't date someone who she's taller than when she wears heels. She finds it rather awkward. Also back in college I once asked out a girl who was a little taller than me (The only girl I have ever asked out in person who is actually taller than me) and was also let down by her stating that she doesn't date shorter men and frankly she finds a guy being shorter than her a turn off and she wanted to stay friends and we continued to be good friends.

In terms of finding a girl on online dating sites it's even tougher. Pretty much every girl lists their preference of a guy being 6'0".

On one site there was this girl who was 5'2" who was really beautiful, and into all the same things I was, including bands and going to concerts. But in her about section she listed "you should only contact me if you are at least 6 feet tall, have dark hair, love the out doors and going to concerts" or something similar to that. I tried contacting her anyways figuring I wouldn't be ruled out based on height alone because other than height, we were pretty much a perfect match in terms of interests and the compatibility tests results the site gave us. But of course I was wrong. The girl just messaged me back asking me if I knew how to read and quoted the section of her profile saying "you should only contact me if" and bolding the part that says "you are at least 6 feet tall".

I have run into the same results on tinder as well. For example, yesterday a girl matched with me and one of her first questions was "how tall are you?" Her about section listed her as 5'5" and I don't have my height listed. When I answered with "a little over 5'8"" she responded with "bye" and unmatched us.

I know not ever girl out there would rule a guy out based on height standards they have or don't even care about height. There are even some girls out there who have no problem dating a guy they are taller than but I certainly haven't met one of these girls yet.

Why do so many girls seem to have a standard of a taller guy around 6 feet or won't be in a relationship if they are taller than them when wearing heels. And it's not just the taller girls ruling me out based on height, it's a lot of shorter girls as well. I live in a rural area and there are usually only 10 to 20 people listed online within a 30 mile radius of me and unfortunately for me most of them at this time seem to have a height standard that is taller than me.

Has any other guys experienced this and have any tips on getting around it.

Girls, do you have any input on why a lot of girls have such high standards when it comes to height. Also would you date someone only a couple inches taller than you or shorter than you or would you rule them out before giving them a chance?

It's about female/male dynamics and perception. Women on some level want to feel that the male is dominant. Perceptually, a shorter man doesn't "feel" dominant to her. And, by dominant, I mean, in the sense of security and safety. A taller man gives the sense to a woman that he can protect her. It's more of a subconscious process. On the surface, they simply aren't attracted to a shorter man, because their subconscious is saying he can't protect her. Safety and security are among the basic needs of a woman.

That being said, there is another aspect to this. Tall women are often insecure because while they are growing up, they sometimes are chastised or embarrassed about their height and so will resist dating a shorter man because it taps into that insecurity and she may be uncomfortable. She will sometimes put up a wall as well that was created to give the sense that they don't care what people think of them and they feel unapproachable to a shorter man. He's a little intimidated.

A shorter man may feel less dominant and, thereby, less confident with a tall woman. If he can maintain his sense of dominance and confidence with a taller woman, she may overlook the height difference.

If a shorter man wants a "chance" with a taller woman at the approach stage, make sure she is sitting down and you are standing. Don't mention her height, but if she has nice legs, compliment them. They are likely the reason she is so tall, so doing that at least says there are benefits to being tall ;). Compliment those features that aren't about height. And, don't ask them if they played basketball when they were young :)

I was married to a man who was short. He wasn't shorter than I am (5'3"), but he was short for a man 5'5". But he was confident, assured and cool.

In the very beginning, perception is everything. Be your best confident, cool self.

• Like 1
  • Author
RenegadeMonster
There are loads of short guys who are actors and in the media.

No-one defends them because they apparently do not need defending.

I think a lot of people don't realize that they are that short. I don't think most people go looking up actors height and on screen they look taller than they actually are.

I have seen plenty of tweets and other postings on social media that says "blank" is only 5'8" or 5'5" along with some comment about having to rule them out from their dating pool and a bunch of frowning faces and crying emoji's

And we are talking about celebrities here, most people do not coming running in to defend posts like this about celebrities.

OP, yes there are many girls that only want tall guys but they are still in the minority. Don't let like 1 out of every 5 girls let you down and put you off dating, I remember reading somewhere that the statistic is only like 20% insist on guys that are much taller than them.

I have defiantly noticed that on POF and OKCupid in this area too. All the shorter girls on these site list "Tall Guys Only", "No Short Guys", "You should be tall" and "only contact me if you are at least 6 feet tall".

And they are the quickest to dismiss you by either never responding to you, or giving you a quick reply that is rather rude about being short and not reading their requirements in their profile.

It's the girls in the 5'4" to 5'7" ball park who are more willing to chat it up with me and not immediately rule me out. Some state they are unconformable being taller than you when in heels and what not. But at least they chat it up with you.

Have you seen that episode of Seinfeld when George gets rejected by this woman because he is balding even though the woman is completely bald herself? It's kind of like that, those short girls forget their height when they look in the mirror. I think its some kind of short girl complex because I rarely see a taller or tall girl have those issues.

5'5+ girls rarely don't mention height because it's not as big of an issue and they don't want to rule a guy out just on that. Like for me personally I'm most attracted to skinny blondes, and not attracted to black girls but I'd never write that because of the off chance that I miss out a great girl that happens to be black or not a skinny blonde.

'

Sorry I assumed US, and yes UK averages are lower.

I think it's less in the US also. LA is like a second city, I think average female is probably 5'4", even there most girls are at least slightly shorter than me even with heels.

Speaking of height requirements only moments ago, I just went on Facebook, and a girl I know from College posted a picture I saw on my feed.

The picture was just text that read: "Know what I call guys 5'11" and under? Friends"

This is the reality of that girl — she has nothing exceptional about herself and probably never gets asked out by the guys she wants so she finds comfort in attacking the opposite sex and the only thing she can say is regarding height.

It's like how you never hear very rich people mock poor people but you will always see faux-rich people mock the poor.

Did you also know that sperm banks only accept applicants from men that are 5'10 or taller?

Not "online dating is tough for short men, how can we improve that?" It is "online dating is tough for short men, so short men should stay offline."

Those women are already going to through the cost and effort of a sperm bank and will also look at the selection process as incredibly clinical, so it's natural to have those requirements. Even if they could have any man as a romantic/sexual partner it still is unlikely to be the same as a sperm donor. Facial aesthetics, build, hair/eye colour, personality and successfulness all gets downplayed compared to height because it is a clinical process.

No it's not man, they probably don't want to waste time with guys that just will not consider, or are annoyed by numerous shorties.

I think a lot of people don't realize that they are that short. I don't think most people go looking up actors height and on screen they look taller than they actually are.

That's not entirely true, if you google a famous celeb there is a good chance their height will show up on the right side of the google search. Lookup 4 celebs you know, I'm sure at least 1 will have height right about spouse info.

But the good point is that attractive male celebs are often not as tall as people think but have become who they are regardless proving that height isn't as important.

Edited by wb1988
  • Author
RenegadeMonster
OP, yes there are many girls that only want tall guys but they are still in the minority. Don't let like 1 out of every 5 girls let you down and put you off dating, I remember reading somewhere that the statistic is only like 20% insist on guys that are much taller than them.

While I agree with you that that holds true in real life, that has not at least been my experience with OLD in my area.

There is not a large pool of girls in my area. On OKCupid there are about 20 or so possible matches within 30 miles of me.

Most of the girls are shorter, less than 5'4" And every shorter girl lists a hight requirement of 6 feet. That rules about 2/3 of the girls right there who would even consider me. So that's 2 out of 3 girls at least on OLD around me.

There are 3 medium height girls that don't list any height requirement that I could contact. However if you look about their preferences for a partner, two starts at 5'10 and at 6'0" Since they don't spell out taller guys as a requirement in their about section, generally I find them most willing to give a guy of my height a chance.

Then there is girl who's 5'10" and an other thats 6'0". The 5'10 girls preferences are not filled out for height and she doesn't list anything. And the 6'0" girl spells out "I'm tall, there for you should be too". While she doesn't specify how tall one would assume taller than her. She also didn't fill out her preferential height.

So, that leaves 4 out of 20 girls that don't rule me out by spelling out height requirements in their about section. And odds are the 5'10" girl probably would rule me out as well being almost 2 inches taller, but I don't know that until I try contacting her. I haven't tried yet since she is a little younger than what I am looking for. She's a senior in college and graduating in May. Though I have been thinking about contacting her to at least give it a shot to see if she is interested.

So if both the taller girls ruled me out, that means only 3 out of 20 girls are left in my pool of potential matches. And each of them list their preferences of wanting a guy to be at least a little taller than me. That isn't a favorable percentage at all.

This is why OLD dating sucks for shorter guys. Most girls rule us out and make it clear on their profile before even contacting them over height. And surprisingly, more often than not, the shorter the girl for some reason the more likely she is to want a taller guy and be more picky about it.

I'm sure this varies from area to area, but that's what I face in my area.

Edited by RenegadeMonster

There is not a large pool of girls in my area. On OKCupid there are about 20 or so possible matches within 30 miles of me.

And surprisingly, more often than not, the shorter the girl for some reason the more likely she is to want a taller guy and be more picky about it.

I'm sure this varies from area to area, but that's what I face in my area.

20 is very low for 30 miles, you must live in a rural town? Did you mean 20 profiles currently online at any given time or like 20 active members in total?

To be honest you have to be really egotistical to think the way you are currently thinking. If you were brad bit or dave franco do you think that 20 out of 20 matchable girls would be into you? No, maybe not even 10 or 5. Even an attractive successful man might get rejected 20 times at a bar before he gets a number. It sounds like you think that if it wasn't for your height then you'd be destroying bitches day & night.

I don't see any solution apart from increasing your pool (move elsewhere) or start focusing on picking up at bars or night clubs.

Maybe you could lie about your height and say that you are 5'9 or 5'10"? I know it's frowned upon but I don't think a girl would notice the 1-2 inches. Also if you don't notice a difference then you can consider it proof that the problem isn't the height.

Edited by wb1988
  • Author
RenegadeMonster
20 is very low for 30 miles, you must live in a rural town? Did you mean 20 profiles currently online at any given time or like 20 active members in total?

To be honest you have to be really egotistical to think the way you are currently thinking. If you were brad bit or dave franco do you think that 20 out of 20 matchable girls would be into you? No, maybe not even 10 or 5. Even an attractive successful man might get rejected 20 times at a bar before he gets a number. I sounds like you think that if it wasn't for your height then you'd be destroying bitches day & night.

I don't see any solution apart from increasing your pool (move elsewhere) or start focusing on picking up at bars or night clubs.

Yes, I do live in a really rural place. A town that doesn't even have it's own post office or zip code. It's about an hours drive from here to get to any type of store, movie theater or restaurant. And 20 is the the number of profiles with a picture who has logged in within the last month. There are quite a few more profiles if I take out the last login requirement, but most haven't been logged into in over a year.

Honestly, I was just making a point in returns to the post I was quoting. I actually do not think like that when going out and looking for possible matches.

I generally search by seeing if I'm attracted to the girls pictures, and interested in her interests.

I'll be honest, if a girl shorter than me posts crap about wanting a taller guy I ignore it and give them a shot. You never know, they may be willing to give you a chance. It had lead to some rather rude replies though asking if I know how to read because they clearly stated to only contact them if you are tall, lol. But hey, that eliminates a girl I wouldn't really want to date anyways if they are going to be rude about it.

I didn't put a height requirement on OLD. I didn't put any requirements.

I can't even tell you the heights of any of the men who messaged me (other than my ex). I didn't even look at that. I barely even glanced at their profiles, tbh. I was much for interested in actually talking to them rather than reading a list of bulletpoints.

• Like 1

I am wondering why this thread hasn't yet been merged with the Consolidated Discussion on Height. How many times can we rehash this? But moving along here...

It's not a guy's height that is holding him back in dating. I'm 5'6" or 5'7", and I do pretty well with women. Thing is, I can't brag, because I know several guys who are at least an inch or two shorter than I am who do even better.

What ARE universal turn-offs for women are self-pity, blaming other people/things beyond your control for your circumstances; not taking responsibility.

You know, exactly the traits exhibited by the Short Men who are whining on this thread. :laugh:

Edited by Imajerk17
  • Like 1
I am wondering why this thread hasn't yet been merged with the Consolidated Discussion on Height. But moving along here...

It's not a guy's height that is holding him back in dating. I'm 5'6" or 5'7", and I do pretty well with women. Thing is, I can't brag, because I know several guys who are at least an inch or two shorter than I am who do even better.

What ARE universal turn-offs for women are self-pity, blaming other people/things beyond your control for your circumstances; not taking responsibility.

You know, exactly the traits exhibited by the Short Men who are whining on this thread. :laugh:

It's possibly that you are charismatic and or good looking so it overrides your height.

But if a short guy doesn't have an "above average" personality and only average looks, he will struggle with women.

In order for a short guy to do well with women there needs to be something about him that makes up for his shortcomings.

Shortcoming, what a word. It basically says that being short is something bad that needs to be made up for. Being short is essentially a flaw in a man.

Edited by somedude81
sydneysider1978

Hey OP, I really do get that it must suck to be excluded online like that...

But, you are interested in this girl because she is 'really beautiful' first and foremost, I cant see why she shouldn't also be able to select by what she finds attractive, even if being tall just means someone got lucky with their genes. (As does being beautiful)

I think part of the problem is that with height limits online there are no grey areas. It's easily measured and it's very easy to exclude people based on a number. And most attractive women online are looking at ways to filter their options down, given that they probably get lots of attention, most of it unwanted/unsuitable.

I'm pretty sure if men could do the same for women based on BMI or bodyfat, they would. (At least the men online with lots of options)

I'm not saying it's fair, or that it doesn't suck, it's just life. You're gotta work with what you've been given.