Why is height often a deal breaker for girls?

RenegadeMonster

• Author
RenegadeMonster
From a female perspective of wanting a good mate, taller men:

1. Earn more money

2. Signifies better nutrition, thus healthier

3. Better nutrition for himself also suggests he would be able to provide better nutrition to her children

4. Are physically better able to defend the woman

5. Have a higher IQ

6. More likely to become president--20th century presidents average 6 ft. Bush jr was 6'0, Obama 6'1, Bush Sr and Clinton 6'2

Why don't women like bald men? missing teeth? bad skin? guys in wheelchairs? They all come down to signaling poor genetics or nutrition.

Height signals these factors even though they may not be relevant in affluent society, but go to impoverished India or Africa and you'll see growth stunted people due to poor nutrition. If a guy can't even get food for himself, how can he get food for an entire family?

About all I'll give you out of that list is #1 and #6.

For what ever reason, being taller is a sign of power in the work place and statistically speaking are more likely to move of the ladder / make more money.

As for 6, same thing pretty much as to what I said about #1.

#2, it has nothing to do with nutrition or health and all to do with genetics.

#3 In todays day and age there is no advantage in being able to provide for children.

#4 Haven't the best martial artists all been on the short side? Bruce Lee was only 5'7" and most Martial artists have been on the shorty side like 5'4" 5'5" with Jacky Chan being the tallest at 5'9". I think it has to do with skill and training more than height.

#5 Really? I'd like to see any evidence that suggests it, never heard that one before.

thefooloftheyear
From a female perspective of wanting a good mate, taller men:

1. Earn more money

2. Signifies better nutrition, thus healthier

3. Better nutrition for himself also suggests he would be able to provide better nutrition to her children

4. Are physically better able to defend the woman

5. Have a higher IQ

6. More likely to become president--20th century presidents average 6 ft. Bush jr was 6'0, Obama 6'1, Bush Sr and Clinton 6'2

Why don't women like bald men? missing teeth? bad skin? guys in wheelchairs? They all come down to signaling poor genetics or nutrition.

Height signals these factors even though they may not be relevant in affluent society, but go to impoverished India or Africa and you'll see growth stunted people due to poor nutrition. If a guy can't even get food for himself, how can he get food for an entire family?

If a woman actually believes this....then she is too dumb to date...

A good argument can be made that shorter guys actually are better equipped to handle the rigors of survival...Many of the most successful and powerful guys are pretty short...Two that come to immediate mind are Mike Bloomberg and John Gotti Sr...

At 5'6" I am the shortest of all of my close friends...Im also the strongest(by far), the best built, the wealthiest, the smartest and healthiest(they all have hip, knee, and back problems-the taller the worst)...me..none...

Ive mentioned this previously, but when I was working as a bouncer,(that's right, a 5'6" bouncer!-I had no problems handling anyone-regardless of height), I watched short guys destroy taller guys...quite regularly...So, as they say.."its not the size of the dog in the fight"..

Anyway, in my experience good looking is good looking and ugly is ugly...Plenty of good looking short guys and butt ugly taller ones...Being tall wont help them...

Eh...

Let them have their way..I have my own physical dealbreakers as well, so I cant fault someone for wanting a physical characteristic that suits their interests...

TFY

• Like 2
So why should women give you a chance, because you are not 6'?

We like what we like, no-one can force you to date older women and no-one can force women to date shorter men if they do not want to.

You may miss the love of your life by being so rigid, and so may those women, but everyone has the image of who they want to date, even if by doing so they may reject perfect matches.

This.

Over and over again, women are told that they should make exceptions for men, but when presented with an idea they don't like (i.e. date an age-appropriate woman), we're told that men want what they want, and feminists can't tell them what to do.

• Like 1
Canyon Light
This.

Over and over again, women are told that they should make exceptions for men, but when presented with an idea they don't like (i.e. date an age-appropriate woman), we're told that men want what they want, and feminists can't tell them what to do.

Well it seems when it comes to dating and age gaps, for older men/younger women, the men are seen as creepy older pervs trying to take advantage of a younger woman while ignoring attractive women his own age.

When an older woman dates a younger man she's a cougar enjoying her most sexual years, exploring her sexuality, taking charge, and living life, and not accepting a patriarchal society's norm that women should be married with kids at a certain age.

SawtoothMars
This.

Dating is VERY different for men vs. women. If a guy doesn't want to work for Walmart... he just does't apply. Whereas, because women essentially do the interviewing, it's more like a company actively promoting they don't hire black people.

I don't necessarily think either position is wrong, but because women control the selection process... it looks very, very bad.

I also saw a poll when looking up height that showed that most women consider a guy "short" if they are 5'10" or less.

Dang! By that logic, every man I've ever dated was "short". The tallest one was 5'10, the shortest 5'6.

I'm 5'8.

Meh? :p

markleymassraff

To me, 6'3" and above is too tall

I consider tall (and ideal) 5'10" to 6'2"

Medium height 5'8" or 5'9"

Short is 5'7" or below..

I prefer tall guys -- right at 5'10" to 6'

Because if a woman is bigger than her man, it doesnt exactly make her feel feminine or safe. I like to be able to wear heels without my man feeling bad that I make him look small.

Its not just women though, Ive had many men express they would never date taller girls cuz they feel emasculated.

Sucks being a tall woman in a shorter world lol

Speaking of Confidence. I wonder if a lot it has to do with a girls confidence and insecurity. We are all brought up in a society that girls date taller guys and the taller guy is more attractive. I have found in many cases it's the girls insecurity about being taller than a guy in heels is what causes them to rule out dating that guy over what they are actually attracted too.

Correct, so throw that back at the next girl that gives you stick about you not be good enough for her in her high heels (which she likely wears <5% of the time). I can't see it changing most their minds, but a few might like your attitude and continue talking to you, but at least it flips the insult back on them.

LookAtThisPOst
This.

Thing is, not only men think that men think that women should be flexible, but also their own friends and family members. You see, said woman isn't looking from the "outside-in", as her friends and family are thinking, "Man, she's 45 and is too damned picky!"

Yep, and she's usually the last member left in the social circle that isn't coupled up like the rest of her friends. So there will be that percentage of chronically single women that'll be holding out for something they'll likely never get...and their friends and family members are trying to get them to see this.

Its not just women though, Ive had many men express they would never date taller girls cuz they feel emasculated.

I've had that. I'm 5'8, 6'0 in my heels.

With those heels on, it's quite standard that I tower over the majority of a room.

I don't mind it though. Sure, some guys might call me a jolly green giant. But I actually feel quite confident in my heels. Statuesque, you might say. Rather than make me insecure, it boosts me.

• Like 2
Rather than make me insecure, it boosts me.

Wish I could say the same. So many men have walked away because of my height alone. I stand 5'10 normally and about 6'2 with heels. Nothing makes a man run faster.

I know its not me, but im already single most of the time, it really hurts my feelings when men say im too tall for them.

Thing is, not only men think that men think that women should be flexible, but also their own friends and family members. You see, said woman isn't looking from the "outside-in", as her friends and family are thinking, "Man, she's 45 and is too damned picky!"

Yep, and she's usually the last member left in the social circle that isn't coupled up like the rest of her friends. So there will be that percentage of chronically single women that'll be holding out for something they'll likely never get...and their friends and family members are trying to get them to see this.

My family and friends don't do this. They want me to be happy.

BlackOpsZombieGirl

Everything that I've bolded about your post can be flipped around and directed towards guys as well. There are 45+ year old men who are "too damn picky" and will only date 20 year olds, "hot" women or women that are a size 0.

Men should also "be flexible", because if they're not, they're usually the last member left in their social circle that isn't coupled up like the rest of his friends. So, there'll be that percentage of chronically single men that will be holding out for something they'll likely never get. See? It goes BOTH ways.

Without repeating this ad nauseum, people - men AND women - like what they like; PERIOD. It's not about a person "being flexible", it's not about their "age"; it's not about anything other than what EACH person is physically and sexually ATTRACTED TO. For those folks who feel left out of that pool because they've been told by others or by virtue of their dating experiences that they don't physically "measure up" to what most people find physically attractive and appealing, they're just going to have to suck it up and DEAL with it, just like everyone else in life does.

Ya know, not every person wins the DNA lottery! The only thing each of us can do is work with what we have and make ourselves the best we can be on the inside while accenting and improving the outside as much as we can WITHOUT placing any blame, shame, guilt or making any misandristic or misogynistic comments towards either gender for their personal physical preferences of the people they desire to date.

• Like 1
markleymassraff
Well it seems when it comes to dating and age gaps, for older men/younger women, the men are seen as creepy older pervs trying to take advantage of a younger woman while ignoring attractive women his own age.

When an older woman dates a younger man she's a cougar enjoying her most sexual years, exploring her sexuality, taking charge, and living life, and not accepting a patriarchal society's norm that women should be married with kids at a certain age.

I think both scenarios are spun negatively and positively by different people/critics at different times. So...all's fair in love and age gaps.

markleymassraff
I feel shallow saying so, but I am simply not attracted to men under 5'11 and I am only 5'4.

Ehhh, don't feel too bad. I am the same way, and I'm only 5'2". Almost every guy I date is 5'11" or 6'. I was attracted to a male friend this past summer who is only 5'7" but I would say I consciously thought about his height and how it wasn't as likable as the taller guys. In general, I would say I'm capable of being attracted to shorter guys, but most of my attractions are to guys 5'11" or taller, and most of the men I've actually dated are that height range.

As far as OLD goes (speaking to the rest of the thread, not the person I replied to), I would say try to just not be on these sites. Do what you can to build a social network and just meet people in person. In the past two years, my social network has gotten huge. This doesn't mean I have tons and tons of friends and am the most popular person ever; just saying I have a huge social network. The last three men I have had any kind of involvement with were just in my social network...no OLD involved.

Nikki Sahagin

Well...I'd say that generally men are attracted to women shorter than them and women to men taller than them.

Whether it's biology, evolution or what society feeds us to fancy, it's probably a combo of all 3...

However my bf is only about an inch taller than me and his height has never been an issue in my attraction to him.

There literally is no reason to even care remotely about what other people are attracted to. Basic rule - you won't be dating people that aren't attracted to you so worrying about it is completely useless.

Women have a bit more to worry about because some men will have sex with women they're not attracted to, just to have sex.

• Like 1
Canyon Light
I think both scenarios are spun negatively and positively by different people/critics at different times. So...all's fair in love and age gaps.

I agree. I think it's much ado about nothing personally. Both age gaps and height. A bit silly when you think about it.

With age, someone has to be younger, and someone has to be older. As long as they're happy, who cares? Same as height. Someone has to be taller. Why that has to be the man every time or nearly every time is a bit silly, especially in this day and age of equal rights and progressive thinking and that.

Neither age nor height determines chemistry or character.

Because if a woman is bigger than her man, it doesnt exactly make her feel feminine or safe. I like to be able to wear heels without my man feeling bad that I make him look small.

Sucks being a tall woman in a shorter world lol

And nothing sucks more than being a short guy in this world.

I feel shallow saying so, but I am simply not attracted to men under 5'11 and I am only 5'4.

Ehhh, don't feel too bad. I am the same way, and I'm only 5'2". Almost every guy I date is 5'11" or 6'.

No, both of you should feel bad for being shallow.

• Like 1
That's a first world problem if there ever was one. Pretty sure there are many problems far worse than being a short guy.

Can you remind me again where we are posting right now? What this forum is about?

No, both of you should feel bad for being shallow.

Don't worry about them. Let them be shallow & see how that works out for them. Only like 15% of men are 6 feet or taller. So not every woman is getting a tall guy even if they want one. That's their problem.

• Like 3