Online dating: Being a 5ft 8 man is repulsive to women.

At best? Best? So height is better? The only person in this thread making a big deal about height is you.

Oh, and possibly the fact that on average, men are taller than women, could be that. Haha

Huh? I said that OP is not average height. He is considered short by some and borderline short by others.

Duke nukem,

Template:Average height around the world - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here, average height women around the world tend to be about 10-15cm shorter than the average man. It's not because we want it that way, its how we are. Yes, you will see the occasional tall woman with a short man, and if we are going down this path.. I have been rejected by a man for being "too tall". So therefore all men are shallow and care about height above everything else, yes?

Yes, but the distribution of women with taller men is significantly higher than women with shorter men. If height didn't matter to most women, it would be more random.

There are tons and tons of studies to back this up. The fact that you don't mind doesn't prove anything. You are the exception. The rule is that women want a guy taller than them. The extreme version of this is a shorter woman wanting a guy significantly taller than them (not all that uncommon).

Try meeting America women online? Maybe it's just me, but British accents are the best. I dated a guy for a while who was not at all attractive, terrible at sex, and kind of an arrogant ass (and he was shorter than me but that wasn't at all a problem). We broke up and I started trying to figure out why we had even dated as long as we had and the only thing I could come up with was his British accent. So if you're good looking, nice body, nice personality, PLUS an accent, you sound fantastic.

I've been to Britain many times and I can honestly say that European women are more open to shorter men than American women are. I find that American women openly discriminate against short men far more than any other country in the world.

• Author
I've been to Britain many times and I can honestly say that European women are more open to shorter men than American women are. I find that American women openly discriminate against short men far more than any other country in the world.

Where the US leads, the UK follows. Just as in the US, the standards of height being levelled at men in the UK is coming from women a large proportion of whom are overweight nigh on obese!

There are tons and tons of studies to back this up. The fact that you don't mind doesn't prove anything. You are the exception. The rule is that women want a guy taller than them. The extreme version of this is a shorter woman wanting a guy significantly taller than them (not all that uncommon).

At the risk of taking this thread too much into the usual height debate, I just wanted to say in response to the bolded..there is no problem with that at that generalized level. As you say the vast majority of couples walking around the guy is taller, which is to be statistically expected. The avg woman is shorter then the avg man, so on average the woman will end up with a taller guy, and all she is doing when she dates a guy 4" taller is wanting the average - nothing special. It only starts to get superficial were they start expecting tall and start benchmarking guys from the 6' mark as only worthy (tall women excepted). Now if guys got turned on by height it would balance out as the more desirable tall guys would snatch up the more desirable tall women. To pretend height is not an issue out there is ridiculous, but OLD I'm sure just magnifies it. While people are fussy & judgmental online and they would in fact date people IRL who don't comply with their 'ideal' partner preferences, I still believe that what they want & who they hookup with in the privacy of their online interactions is what they really want.

what's wrong with 5, 8 it's ok

I am 5, 5 and I find guys who are 5 8 are Ok!

and I know half of the majority of girls are shorter than me so I don't get what the problems

You have to stand up for yourself, you know!

and try to say things like you are proud of who you are!

You can always tweak some of the facts if it will take away your chances before people even get to know you

I mean write in the site that you are 5, 9

and don't take picture next to very tall people

Subtle changes

At the risk of taking this thread too much into the usual height debate, I just wanted to say in response to the bolded..there is no problem with that at that generalized level. As you say the vast majority of couples walking around the guy is taller, which is to be statistically expected. The avg woman is shorter then the avg man, so on average the woman will end up with a taller guy, and all she is doing when she dates a guy 4" taller is wanting the average - nothing special. It only starts to get superficial were they start expecting tall and start benchmarking guys from the 6' mark as only worthy (tall women excepted). Now if guys got turned on by height it would balance out as the more desirable tall guys would snatch up the more desirable tall women. To pretend height is not an issue out there is ridiculous, but OLD I'm sure just magnifies it. While people are fussy & judgmental online and they would in fact date people IRL who don't comply with their 'ideal' partner preferences, I still believe that what they want & who they hookup with in the privacy of their online interactions is what they really want.

I agree with you. I was simply making the argument in response to a specific poster that said that height does not matter to most women, which is clearly a ridiculous statement.

Now do I believe that all women would prefer a tall guy? YES, I absolutely do. However, there are only so many tall men to go around. So women date short and average men despite their height based on other qualities that compensate.

This is not to say that anything is as important to women as height (nothing is), but some women simply can't get the 6'2+ men out there. So they'll compromise (either consciously or subconsciously).

I agree with you. I was simply making the argument in response to a specific poster that said that height does not matter to most women, which is clearly a ridiculous statement.

Now do I believe that all women would prefer a tall guy? YES, I absolutely do. However, there are only so many tall men to go around. So women date short and average men despite their height based on other qualities that compensate.

This is not to say that anything is as important to women as height (nothing is), but some women simply can't get the 6'2+ men out there. So they'll compromise (either consciously or subconsciously).

I haven't seen any of the hundreds of studies that prove your ridiculous statement, .. There was nothing "clearly ridiculous" about my statement. "Can't get the 6"2 men" as though their height makes them somehow too good. Please.

Height is the most important factor to women, both online and in real life. Women will never tell you this though because they want to be politically correct.

If height wasn't the most important factor, you would see more couples where the woman is taller than the man.

Can you be short and still do reasonably well with women? Sure. I'm shorter than you and I do okay. But you must first realize and accept the fact that you have the biggest disadvantage possible for a man in dating (and business) in the western world. It's a constant uphill battle and that is very difficult to overcome.

Here are the ridiculous statements of the thread.

• Like 1
Thanks! :)

Your welcome!

Just remember that on line dating is not the same as real life interaction.

If you can practice every day at smiling and interacting with women you will start to find yourself much more comfortable in their company.

You will also probably have more luck as they will judge you on what they see and hear in real life not just a few photographs and a short sentence or two.

One thing I will warn you against is being in any way bitter towards women. They will sniff it out and run from it. If a woman is nasty remember that is her as a person not women in general. Shrug your shoulders and let it run off your back. When women see men confident enough and happy enough with who they are to do this its not just attractive and comfortable to be around so they can get to know you but is also very sexy!

I suspect that many men who complain about women in general are shooting themselves in the foot because the women are running from an underlying bitterness and not because the man is in any way physically unattractive.

Keep at it and keep smiling at people!

I don't think that lying about your height is a good idea. It's definitely going to show. Honestly, most women don't care about height, but most of us DO care about lying. Moreover, you don't need to lie or feel self conscious about 5"8. No need whatsoever.

Online women care about height above all else. Its hard to find a profile on match where the woman does not specify 5ft 11 in her date requirements. Its hilarious when you consider that the woman herself can sometimes be 5 ft 2, maybe they all want to use thst footstool they got bought for cchristmas or whatever.

I doubt its that much different in real life, just that meeting people in the flesh allows a certain benefit of the doubt based on the guy's confidence, looks and charm so height can possibly be overlooked for the right guy.

Online though, women are looking for their dream man and are very up front about the qualities he has to have. This is what kills online dating as going into it with the mindset of "oh there are sooo many men that I can be as picky as I like!" just leads to nobody ever being good enough, because in the back of their mind someone else will be along in a minute and they could be the unicorn that the woman is looking for.

• Like 1
  • Author
Your welcome!

Just remember that on line dating is not the same as real life interaction.

If you can practice every day at smiling and interacting with women you will start to find yourself much more comfortable in their company.

You will also probably have more luck as they will judge you on what they see and hear in real life not just a few photographs and a short sentence or two.

One thing I will warn you against is being in any way bitter towards women. They will sniff it out and run from it. If a woman is nasty remember that is her as a person not women in general. Shrug your shoulders and let it run off your back. When women see men confident enough and happy enough with who they are to do this its not just attractive and comfortable to be around so they can get to know you but is also very sexy!

I suspect that many men who complain about women in general are shooting themselves in the foot because the women are running from an underlying bitterness and not because the man is in any way physically unattractive.

Keep at it and keep smiling at people!

Bitter? Too late :( My experiences with women over the past two years has left me believing that women are shallow, heartless appearance Nazis fuelled only by narcissism and their quest for Brad Pitt. It's something that I'm pretty ashamed of, to be honest with you. :(

• Author
Online women care about height above all else. Its hard to find a profile on match where the woman does not specify 5ft 11 in her date requirements. Its hilarious when you consider that the woman herself can sometimes be 5 ft 2, maybe they all want to use thst footstool they got bought for cchristmas or whatever.

I doubt its that much different in real life, just that meeting people in the flesh allows a certain benefit of the doubt based on the guy's confidence, looks and charm so height can possibly be overlooked for the right guy.

Online though, women are looking for their dream man and are very up front about the qualities he has to have. This is what kills online dating as going into it with the mindset of "oh there are sooo many men that I can be as picky as I like!" just leads to nobody ever being good enough, because in the back of their mind someone else will be along in a minute and they could be the unicorn that the woman is looking for.

But put on YOUR profile that you want a woman 145lbs or less and watch your inbox fill with indignation!

• Like 1
Thanks, I never thought of it like that!

Oh and abs really don't help. At all. Case in point: my avatar.

I keep laughing,,,I'm sorry...but I can't think of any gals I know that would turn that down (i.e, your avatar), Obviously that is not what makes a relationship but certainly helps in the physical attraction. I am someone that tends to like very tall gents because long before OLD that just happened to be what I was use to however one gent I meant of OLD was average height and because the attraction was there I could care less (he also had the best body of anyone I have dated and he was almost 50). What is your age range for women?

• Author
I keep laughing,,,I'm sorry...but I can't think of any gals I know that would turn that down (i.e, your avatar), Obviously that is not what makes a relationship but certainly helps in the physical attraction. I am someone that tends to like very tall gents because long before OLD that just happened to be what I was use to however one gent I meant of OLD was average height and because the attraction was there I could care less (he also had the best body of anyone I have dated and he was almost 50). What is your age range for women?

I'm 40, so realistically I go for 5 years either side of my own, give or take.

Hey moy I am on the same boat as you with girls but I feel I have to say something about your facial expression. I hope your not using that pic online because I don't think even brad pit could pull that off.

• Author
Hey moy I am on the same boat as you with girls but I feel I have to say something about your facial expression. I hope your not using that pic online because I don't think even brad pit could pull that off.

Eh? What? No, no - that was just a hastily taken selfie as people were asking what my face was like. My current avatar is up temporarily to show my shape. I'll change it to something more suitable shortly. Don't worry, I used smiles on POF.

Edited by Moy
I'm 40, so realistically I go for 5 years either side of my own, give or take.

Interesting. Folks are attracted to what they are attractive to...some gals like tall and some men like 2 big fluffy pillows but generally with a few more years on them (i.e. 40 vs 21) many of the checklist items get blurred and deal-breakers shift from purely physical attributes to things like general health, emotional and financial stability etc. Someone else mentioned it but I think this may have more to do with the particular pond you are in...so how is your personality when out and about? Like on a normal day when you walk down the street are approachable?

• Author
Interesting. Folks are attracted to what they are attractive to...some gals like tall and some men like 2 big fluffy pillows but generally with a few more years on them (i.e. 40 vs 21) many of the checklist items get blurred and deal-breakers shift from purely physical attributes to things like general health, emotional and financial stability etc. Someone else mentioned it but I think this may have more to do with the particular pond you are in...so how is your personality when out and about? Like on a normal day when you walk down the street are approachable?

In work I'm known as one of the friendliest, approachable and jovial people in the office. I'm exactly the same when out with friends as that's who I am.

It's the added caveat of 'having to be attractive' when women are around that causes me to clam up and withdraw and it's my OLD experiences that have led me to become a social recluse recently.

In work I'm known as one of the friendliest, approachable and jovial people in the office. I'm exactly the same when out with friends as that's who I am.

It's the added caveat of 'having to be attractive' when women are around that causes me to clam up and withdraw and it's my OLD experiences that have led me to become a social recluse recently.

This is a good point. Because women are so picky, you really have to go crazy with your "interests". However, if your interests are not mainstream, then they don't really matter. You will need to develop interests that are interesting to WOMEN, but are not very interesting in and of themselves (ie: dancing).

For example, I have a friend that is into swing dancing and surfing. Women fall all over these things because they find it fun. My interests are mostly cognitive and cerebral type things and business. Women do not find these things interesting. Therefore, I am not interesting. However, when I tried to play the game and went skydiving every other weekend (yes, I used to do this), I was very interesting.

So basically, you will have to bend over backwards if you want to successfully date women. The more attractive they are and the shorter you are, the more you will have to bend over.

I also disagree with the belief that women care about security. Women have their own jobs now and society protects them from things like assault. What security do they need? They just want to look nice in pictures next to their tall guy.

Moy, with your physique, you have got to be able to meet somebody at your gym? IMO the women there can see "all" of you & it should outweigh their height reqs. since they're wearing sneakers LOL! Also, you already have something in common & a ready topic for chit chat & potential activity invitations along the lines of working out together. Sometimes a woman just goes with the math: if she's 5'8 barefooted, that means 5'10" in "date" shoes/boots & that's bound to make the guy feel awkward = no chemistry. Good luck anyway :-)

• Author
Moy, with your physique, you have got to be able to meet somebody at your gym? IMO the women there can see "all" of you & it should outweigh their height reqs. since they're wearing sneakers LOL! Also, you already have something in common & a ready topic for chit chat & potential activity invitations along the lines of working out together. Sometimes a woman just goes with the math: if she's 5'8 barefooted, that means 5'10" in "date" shoes/boots & that's bound to make the guy feel awkward = no chemistry. Good luck anyway :-)

Many people have said this to me about the gym, but we go there to train, not chat people up, no? As we're all engrossed in our own workouts (usually with headphones in) how do you strike up conversations at the gym?

Also, I lift weights. I don't want to be 'the creepy pick up artist doing step aerobics' as that would just look too obvious...not to mention it's an activity I'm not interested in pursuing.

Moy, you're a very handsome man! Please don't let awful strangers on the Internet define who you are or bring down your self worth.

I completely relate to you about the social anxiety. It undermines every good thing you think about yourself. Casually chatting up a stranger of the opposite sex is like a huge achievement. CALLING someone of the opposite sex is almost unthinkable!

Keep making your baby steps, friend. Don't retreat. :)

This has nothing to do with your height and everything to do with your self confidence and what energy you're putting out there.

The average female height is between 5' 4.4" to 5' 4.6" - US and UK.

The Netherlands has the tallest women in the stats I was looking at and their average for women is 5' 6.4"

Although a study done in 2010 looking at English women the average height is 5' 3", so the OP is actually 5" taller than the average English woman.