Plus size models in Cosmo

Rejected Rosebud

I like the skinny models better, personally, but these look pretty to me as well. I think it's funny that a lot of people who complain that models like this are "promoting" being fat and unhealthy, where is the complaining about those who are "promoting" cosmetic surgery, which is probably more dangerous than being overweight (not morbidly obese)? :)

Agh!! This is my point! If people are living healthy lifestyles, they are, for the most part, going to be slim!

But, on another note, people should NOT be placing their self-worth on their physical appearance. I think that is what actually causes disordered eating.

Not as thin as modern day fashion models, for instance the controversial model in the urban outfitters ad.

I fully agree about your second point. That's a tough one for women, who are largely valued in the culture for appearance.

HazyCosmicJive
Well my response to them is, what's wrong with being socially conditioned...? :confused:

I'm socially conditioned to not rape and murder...is that a bad thing to be influenced by the very society I live in...?

It seems that feminist types only like the social conditioning of men when it can be used to render us obedient to their demands. In fact, isn't slamming men for preferring slender women an attempt at social conditioning? :cool:

• Like 2
HazyCosmicJive
Not as thin as modern day fashion models, for instance the controversial model in the urban outfitters ad.

I fully agree about your second point. That's a tough one for women, who are largely valued in the culture for appearance.

Yet women don't seem to mind using their appearance to their own benefit. It seems they only complain when they don't have the looks.

Yet women don't seem to mind using their appearance to their own benefit. It seems they only complain when they don't have the looks.

The women who are mindful of these issues typically aren't the ones trying to benefit from the looks. Women don't all act the same way.

Rejected Rosebud
Yet women don't seem to mind using their appearance to their own benefit.
:confused: Is it wrong for a person to use their appearance or any other positive attribute to their own benifit? Or just when attractive women do it? :confused:
It seems they only complain when they don't have the looks.
Do you know what the women who posted on this thread look like? Many thin, regular, smoking hot and fat women agree that women's bodies are really nobody's business besides their own and their partner if they have one. Some men as well! Really! :)
  • Like 1
HazyCosmicJive
:confused: Is it wrong for a person to use their appearance or any other positive attribute to their own benifit? Or just when attractive women do it? :confused: Do you know what the women who posted on this thread look like? Many thin, regular, smoking hot and fat women agree that women's bodies are really nobody's business besides their own and their partner if they have one. Some men as well! Really! :)

Please. Good looking women get treated better whether they realize it or not. For a good looking woman to complain about this is silly.

Please. Good looking women get treated better whether they realize it or not. For a good looking woman to complain about this is silly.

It's not silly for an attractive woman to be concerned about the focus on women's appearance. Women can be attractive and compassionate and intelligent.

• Like 4
I don't think being overweight is beautiful because it's not the natural state for our bodies. It's not healthy, either. I'm not saying that anyone should hate themselves while being overweight, but I still think not being overweight is the best option. I know it's really difficult though as we age and hormones play tricks on us.

Those women are beautiful but, did you notice that they don't have fat faces? Not sure how they pull that off but that actually has a lot to do with it.

We don't really have a way of knowing the 'natural state' of the body, do we?

Besides, the super skinny that is the beauty norm nowadays is probably nowhere near that 'normal'.

Super muscular isn't either.

Women naturally hold on to more than fat then men so that natural would probably be fairly curvy for most people.

Rejected Rosebud
I don't even understand? Attractive people DO get treated better. What does this have to do with the fluffy models?
Even having said what I said in an earlier post I think I take almost the complete opposite view here: I think it's close to crazy that anyone could consider them to be "not fat". They are both clearly overweight. Being overweight is why they are the subject of these photos. (I think that's a separate issue from whether they are beautiful, and separate again from whether their weight is healthy.)

Yes, although in an OLD profile those sound like just euphemisms for "fat" or "overweight". Right next to "a little extra" which really means "a lot extra".

Yes, different people carry weight differently and can look very different at the same weight. I think it's possible to be overweight and beautiful, and overweight and sexy. Those women are overweight. I happen to think they are also beautiful, although I accept that this is somewhat subjective.

I just know that if I were their weight I would look like a flabby potato, not distinctly female with a distinct hourglass shape and smooth surfaces. When I think of "fat" I think of flabby potato shapes. It's probably quite subjective for me because with the way my body carries any extra fat, it will just look flabby, whereas I know women who actually weigh more than me (around my height) who have sexier figures than me (IMO) because they are better toned up. I am basically skinny-fat (as I've heard it put) in that I am slim (but not bony) as far as actual size but then squishy and not at all toned. So when I look at those women's bodies I see smooth curves and hourglass shapes, and no "flab". So that is why they don't look fat to me, just larger in build. They are what I would consider legitimate "BBW" women. Where again if I weighed as much as them I would look like a potato.

HazyCosmicJive
It's not silly for an attractive woman to be concerned about the focus on women's appearance. Women can be attractive and compassionate and intelligent.

And yet attractive women benefit constantly from being attractive, I think we'll agree. Let's call it "hot chick privilege." ;)

HazyCosmicJive
I just know that if I were their weight I would look like a flabby potato, not distinctly female with a distinct hourglass shape and smooth surfaces. When I think of "fat" I think of flabby potato shapes. It's probably quite subjective for me because with the way my body carries any extra fat, it will just look flabby, whereas I know women who actually weigh more than me (around my height) who have sexier figures than me (IMO) because they are better toned up. I am basically skinny-fat (as I've heard it put) in that I am slim (but not bony) as far as actual size but then squishy and not at all toned. So when I look at those women's bodies I see smooth curves and hourglass shapes, and no "flab". So that is why they don't look fat to me, just larger in build. They are what I would consider legitimate "BBW" women. Where again if I weighed as much as them I would look like a potato.

Some women are lucky in that extra fat all goes to their boobs and butt. Others just get like a blob. I think women who are naturally slender tend to be in the latter category.

Ask any guy what his standard of beauty is and very few will mention someone "super skinny."

That fat is not what creates the curves that women possess. Hips create the curves, not backfat or sagging bellies.

You can't deny today's body standards call for skinny women. Every guy has their own standards for what is beautiful, but the general beauty standard today is super skinny.

Look at Victoria's Secrets models. Or any models for that matter. If you want to talk IMC to measure appropriate weight, they are probably all in the lowest of their required scale, if not downright below it.

Look at the general male population reaction to these models in OP.

I always laugh my ass off when people talk about Beyonce and Shakira and other women considered curvy.

They have a curvy figure but are still skinny. FFS Shakira is about 5'. She probably wears a size 0.

A 'normal' body shape implies nothing is done willfully modify it.

And my point is we have no way of knowing what that normal looks like. We have always subjected our bodies to whatever means necessary to a time's popular beauty standards.

Hundreds of years ago, women in the OP would have been considered to be royalty.

Edited by Maleficent
HazyCosmicJive
You can't deny today's body standards call for skinny women. Every guy has their own standards for what is beautiful, but the general beauty standard today is super skinny.

Look at Victoria's Secrets models. Or any models for that matter. If you want to talk IMC to measure appropriate weight, they are probably all in the lowest of their required scale, if not downright below it.

I always laugh my ass off when people talk about Beyonce and Shakira and other women considered curvy.

They have a curvy figure but are still skinny. FFS Shakira is about 5'. She probably wears a size 0.

And my point is we have no way of knowing what that normal looks like. We have always subjected our bodies to whatever means necessary to a time's popular beauty standards.

Hundreds of years ago, women in the OP would have been considered to be royalty.

If people looked like nature intended them to look they'd all have very low body fat and be much skinnier than the average American today. The main thing making people fat is too much sugar (and to a lesser extent, fat) and not enough exercise. The reason we crave sugar and fat is because during our evolution they were rare and difficult to obtain. That's also why being fat was once considered a sign of high economic status. Americans simply take in far more calories than they need. I read an article a few years back that said the average male "caveman" was the physical equivalent of an elite professional athlete today. This makes perfect sense when you consider how difficult it was just to survive in prehistoric times. Our cushy, affluent lives make it necessary to go out of our way to get physical activity and actually refuse the types of food our bodies most crave.

I like my women BBW!

There is nothing like a full figured woman with a cute slim face dressed conservatively. Just let the curves show!

thefooloftheyear

I dunno.....

I mean, sure the VS models are beautiful, but as far as many of the other super skinny waifs that look like they spent a year on a deserted island? Nah....

In the same breath, I dont think most women find all that much attraction for the typical male model, with his 5'11" 135 lb 13 year old boys frame...

These people are really just extremes to show off clothing that no one wears anyway..

Most guys probably see Sofia Vergara as much hotter than Angelina Jolie....I know I do...And just look at how much attention Kim K gets..(.I dont think is all that great, btw.)..

I still say I like this look.....Strong and sexy...curves in all the right places..

TFY

Edited by thefooloftheyear
HazyCosmicJive

I still say I like this look.....Strong and sexy...curves in all the right places..

TFY

That girl probably has lower body fat than the "waifs" you don't like. It's just that she's got more muscle mass. She also has fake boobs. So much for "curves."

• Like 1
And yet attractive women benefit constantly from being attractive, I think we'll agree. Let's call it "hot chick privilege." ;)

Yes, that's true. That doesn't mean they think it's a good thing. They are sisters and daughters and friends and mothers and have innumerable opportunities to become aware of the problems associated with valuing women primarily on looks.

• Like 4
HazyCosmicJive
Yes, that's true. That doesn't mean they think it's a good thing. They are sisters and daughters and friends and mothers and have innumerable opportunities to become aware of the problems associated with valuing women primarily on looks.

I don't think it's the same as valuing women primarily on their looks. Besides, I've yet to see an attractive woman turn down a promotion she didn't deserve. There's a girl at my work who got promoted every year four years in a row despite not really being qualified for the job and having every one of her direct reports hating her guts. You can pretend to be concerned about it all you want, but good looking women are not going to give up their privileges.

thefooloftheyear
That girl probably has lower body fat than the "waifs" you don't like. It's just that she's got more muscle mass. She also has fake boobs. So much for "curves."

So what?

Im sure she has a fake ass, too??:laugh:...

Point is that the vast majority of guys like either women with fit and strong bodies or some that are softer and have a little in the right places...I just dont see this groundswell among men for these toothpick type women...In fact, its mostly women who think the mega thin women are the objects of perfection.....so maybe its actually women that are creating their own body image problems.....but I dunno....

TFY

• Like 3
If people looked like nature intended them to look they'd all have very low body fat and be much skinnier than the average American today.

I did not say otherwise. They wouldn't look like the supermodels or athletes either.

My point was that we don't really have a clear idea of what nature intended people to look like.

If people looked like nature intended them to look they'd all have very low body fat and be much skinnier than the average American today.

We'd also be covered in hair, in places where a lot of people shave or wax (it depends on the person, as to how far they go with that). I remember how some people freaked out when Julia Roberts didn't shave her armpits.

• Like 2