Taking a poll- Are bald or balding men less attractive to women?

Taking a poll- Are bald or balding men less attractive to women? Or not?  

41 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Totally depends on the guy. My bf is dead sexy and shaved bald. He is very masculine and muscular and I think that makes him as a package very attractive. :love:

bingo. This is very much where its going to be split..how masculine the guy is to start with. Endo + Mesomorphs will look better bald than an ectomorph guy will. A thick neck dude like Vin Diesel = cool. I can't think of any skinny bald celebrities to use as contrast. (the waiter on old Benny Hill comedy shows. lol) I wouldn't necessarily call Bryan Cranston (actor) or Billy Corgan (smashing pumpkins singer) un-masculine men, though I thought they looked better with hair when younger imo. Jude Law is losing his hair...I wonder if his career would have been as good as it was if he had started to lose it in his mid 20s.

To the original question. I think on an instinctual level a man who has hair is going to be more attractive because on that base level having hair is a sign of physical health and vitality. But its not just the hair, as we've seen. Having a fit body, good grooming, and healthy looking skin adds to that appeal, and often these characteristics of health and vitality can be attractive, regardless if a man has a full, thick mane or not. This is why some of the women here have said things like it "depends on the guy" and how some bald actors are considered "attractive". And then of course being the social creatures we are, confidence and ambition on top of those are what can make many balding guys "hot".

While these women maybe be flexible or even prefer bald men, empirical studies show that having hair is more attractive than not having hair. If you are balding, the natural look, like shaving it bald, is more attractive than a hair piece or other noticeable hair restoration.

Essentially, anything that represents youth is more attractive in both males and females: nice hair, smooth skin, less body fat, whiter teeth. Even your clothes will play, does your fashion look 10 years old? It's another sign of your advancing age.

I just like hair more than most people, so...but if I had married someone with hair and stayed with them and they lost it, I wouldn't bolt or anything, but the chances I'd find a new bald man attractive are practically nil.

you_can_not_see_me

I think one thing that's not being mentioned here though is there is a difference between a guy whose hairline recedes a little and one who is actually going bald (aka horseshoe).

http://www.nobaldnessnow.com/images/1.jpg

Here is a representation of different levels of hairloss for men, and the vast majority of men will get to a II hairline at around 30 or so, but most people (including girls) won't notice that they have lost much hair and basically they just will look a little more mature.

Its when you get into the III and beyond that people will notice and you will have to do something about it.

Well I just met a guy who is balding and has no hair and he also overweight slightly.

I was instantly drawn to him and I felt fire works upon first glance and our first conversation.

I also like guys with hair.

I just don't have a type.

I am 28 and look young for my age and have options so I am not limited to fat balding men - I just found this particular one very attractive!

Bald is fine if it suits him. I confess that balding (as in, you can see that the hair is very sparse and falling out) isn't terribly attractive to me. Probably because I'm in my twenties, and typically men who are balding are in their forties and above - waaaay too old for me. It's a gut reaction, unfortunately. When I'm in my forties myself, that preference will probably naturally change, and at any rate I certainly won't be leaving a long-term partner just because he starts balding.

• Like 2

Essentially, anything that represents youth is more attractive in both males and females: nice hair, smooth skin, less body fat, whiter teeth. Even your clothes will play, does your fashion look 10 years old? It's another sign of your advancing age.

HMMMM.....maybe I should cruise the clubs in a boy scout uniform instead of my turtleneck and sport jacket. I got rid of the corduroy bellbottoms last year.;)

I actually have a thing for bald/balding guys! :) They can be very attractive!

Just curious what is it about a balding man that makes him attractive?

Just curious what is it about a balding man that makes him attractive?

A shaved head is attractive on certain men, it makes their appearance more rugged, equals masculine.

A shaved head is attractive on certain men, it makes their appearance more rugged, equals masculine.

Not the shaved head, a man who hasn't shaved his head and you can see the thinning areas

I have noticed that quite a few of my female friends do not seem to think men who are bald are attractive. My husband has a receding hairline & he is very attractive- (not just to me lots of women think so)..

Also I have noticed that other men that are bald are also very good looking. I just don't even care that they don't have a full head of hair.

Is this normal? Or do most other women prefer men with hair? Or does it matter?

Just wondering, interested & curious.....

I think bald men can be very attractive, if the baldness is purposeful.

I don't like the receding hair line or bald spot esp with the god forsaken combover or you have a ponytail but your hairline has receded so far back or you're bald in the middle...those all look bad to me.

I would prefer a man to shave it all off and go bald completely than have patches of hair or a hairline that starts all the way back.

• Like 1
Not the shaved head, a man who hasn't shaved his head and you can see the thinning areas

To pinpoint one specific thing in terms of what makes thinning hair attractive, it would be nothing.

All depends on the frame of his face. I tend to be attracted to the whole package. So if I found him sexy all around, thinning hairlines wouldn't really matter to me.

Whereas a shaved head, on the right face/build, accentuates.

Yes, I don't consider balding guys attractive. It's better to shave it all off and look a little trendy than have the receding hairline and just some hair growing around the back of your head.

It is rare to see a nonbalding older guy. Someone who isn't grabs my attention just from the rarity of it.

I've always found bald men attractive; whether they shave their head or are naturally bald. Men who are confident and bald, is a huge turn on for me. I think bald men come across very masculine. So yeah, bald = sexy look.

• Like 1

So many highs and lows for me in this thread, lol. Anyway I think I've decided I'll shave my head really close or completely bald when my hairline gets bad and if I decide I can't pull off that look then I'll look into hair transplants. I'm tall, in shape, and have good facial hair, so how bad could a buzz cut or shaved head be?

• Like 1
So many highs and lows for me in this thread, lol. Anyway I think I've decided I'll shave my head really close or completely bald when my hairline gets bad and if I decide I can't pull off that look then I'll look into hair transplants. I'm tall, in shape, and have good facial hair, so how bad could a buzz cut or shaved head be?

If you have a handsome face along with the height it won't matter

• Like 1

Not too bad! Buzz away!:D

• Like 2

Hi Emerald11,

Remember Bruce Willis in Die Hard? How about when Jason Statham & Vin Diesel came along. All these men had a receding or non-existent hairline. The reason they are thought of as sexy is...context - they were playing characters who were very masculine & powerful, so hair didn't matter. Can you imagine Brad Pitt with that "monk's tonsure/homer simpson comb over" look...heck no! If you see the man in a certain way...his baldness will be attractive to you as part of his overall package. My ex has almost all of his hair (45++) but he is not at all attractive to me, so there is the context again.

Often balding (where the hair is thinning & scalp is very noticeable) can indicate age/health issues & therefore may not be attractive. OTOH, I've heard "high testosterone" males either gray and/or recede very early (late 30's) so...maybe these men are exuding chemical attractants females are unconsciously responding to. I can deal w/completely bald but not the Rudy Giulani type look...

Hi Emerald11,

Remember Bruce Willis in Die Hard? How about when Jason Statham & Vin Diesel came along. All these men had a receding or non-existent hairline. The reason they are thought of as sexy is...context - they were playing characters who were very masculine & powerful, so hair didn't matter. Can you imagine Brad Pitt with that "monk's tonsure/homer simpson comb over" look...heck no! If you see the man in a certain way...his baldness will be attractive to you as part of his overall package. My ex has almost all of his hair (45++) but he is not at all attractive to me, so there is the context again.

Bruce Willis and Vin Diesel are totally bald, not balding. Bald doesn't have the same association with old age as balding does (to me at least), as some young men shave their heads too.

Also they look very young for their age IMO. I would never have expected someone that looked like Bruce to be 59 (!!).