You're right, women have it easier. Now what?

Exactly how is 40 dates in a year considered 'unsuccessful dating'?
40 dates with women who have no sexual interest in you is unsuccessful dating.

40 dates is a lot. I haven't been on a date in 6 months, so relativity I guess.

I'm sure a woman who went on 365 dates a year and never met a single one worth seeing again would consider that unsuccessful and difficult as well.

But 40 is a lot. that's like one every 9 days.

• Like 1

Unsuccessful dating is not getting dates. You are getting dates.

Stop spending so much money until sexual attraction is established.

• Like 2
HopelessRomantic76

Maybe if men stuck to their league it would be easier for them.

If I could get a handsome man why would I want an average or unattractive one?

Go after women with limited options who can't afford to value looks if you're a struggling non handsome man.

Frank2thepoint
A common theme I see with the most disgruntled of the single guys around here is that they want not just a partner who is kind and loving and treats them well, but is also thin and busty and young to boot.

Speak for yourself Ryan Gosling stalker. I want my woman to have some sexy meat on her, a nice ass to grab, and around my age that appreciates the 80s and an engaging conversation. Can't get that with some young, skinny chick.

These threads that get started on this topic astound me TBH...how can you even know if someone is LTR material until you get to know them? That takes at least six months to a year to know that....to be caught up on looks, even the most beautiful people have a face that you don't want to see.

Many people, of both genders, don't have time to get to know someone. It started with fast food. People want their relationships quick. Just like the expectation of sparks within a couple of minutes of meeting.

Here's the thing: she's got to be intrigued enough to spend time with you rather than with her friends, or with her family, or alone. The more she enjoys her life, the less likely she'll go on a date with someone just because he's decent looking and seems nice.

This is the message that men have to understand and practice as well. Many women are enjoying their life, doing whatever it is they are passionate about. The men that complain about not getting a chance, need to adopt the same attitude. Get passionate about something else aside from dating. If you can't beat them, join them.

• Like 4
It's leading him on if I already know I don't want a relationship with him. I don't need to stare at him across the table for an hour to figure that out. Most people are looking for more in a partner than just "decent looking" and "seems nice." I talk to ten guys a day who are "decent looking" and "seem nice," but that doesn't mean I have any romantic interest in them. There is a lot more to it than that.

If I am looking for a partner, I am not going to give any guy a "chance" when I know absolutely that he is not the guy for me.

How would you ladies even know that he is absolutely not the right guy for you if you barely know him?

Unless a girl had some very obvious red flags, or she was completely not my type, I would have no way of knowing that she was the wrong girl for me unless I spent some time with her and got to know her better. It's basically "Innocent until proven guilty."

From what you two are saying, it's like you believe in "Guilty unless proven otherwise. It's like you'd only go on a date with guys that you absolutely already liked. That is the generally mentality with women. They won't give a guy a chance unless he absolutely blows her socks off. Men are far less picky.

So damn right women have it easier.

"Decent looking and seems nice" hardly even enters into the picture for me. If I am not looking for a partner and satisfied with my life as it is, I am also not going to give a guy a chance just because he wants to go out with me.

That's another reason why dating for men really sucks. Women who are happy being single. I don't know how true this is, but it really seem that on average women are happier being single than men are. Every one woman who is happy being single, is one less woman out there that men can date. Then what happens is that there is lots of competition for the women who do want to date.

Why is it that you guys think that what a guy wants is so important, moreso than what a girl wants (or doesn't want)? I just don't get it. Just because you are a guy doesn't mean that you are ENTITLED to have dates or a girlfriend.

Frankly, life has showed me that what the guy want is absolutely irrelevant. The whole notion of the guy being the pursuer is ridiculous.

For me, starting to like a girl I know is the worst thing I can do because there is an insignificant chance that she will like me back. All that does is result in me getting hurt.

I think the best thing to happen with dating would for women to be the aggressors and start asking men out. The current system with men having to ask out hundreds of women till one finally says yes is broken. By that time the guy doesn't even like the girl he's with. She's just the first one who actually said yes.

This is what I am confused about though.

I know, from reading the threads on here, that there are a few guys on here posting on this very thread, who have women who seem clearly into them. Why won't these guys take this very advice and give the woman a chance and go on a date with her?

She might have a side to her that you haven't seen. You and she might really get each other's humor. You both might have a great time. If nothing else you might end up friends.

Simply put, aside from my ex, all the girls that I have felt that have liked me were all very unattractive.

Though if a girl was halfway decent looking, nice and didn't have any glaring red flags I would give her a chance. That's all I ask from a woman to go on one date with her.

Women ask for far more.

Unsuccessful dating is not getting dates. You are getting dates.

Stop spending so much money until sexual attraction is established.

Exactly.

Also, a woman may have lots of men willing to sleep with her but that doesn't mean she can get a man to be into her for actual serious dating or that every date she goes on ends in mutual interest.

It is presented as though because a man may go out with you and be sexually interested in you means you're lucky or have it easy...uhh no...if you're not just looking to get laid but want to in fact build a relationship then amassing tons of empty sexual interest means nothing and you end up going on lots of dates which don't go anywhere because the guy is only interested in getting into bed. For a woman this also feels unsuccessful and disheartening. If you want to eventually have a boyfriend or find a life partner, having 30 men who want to f()ck you doesn't provide any comfort or make you feel successful or like you have it easier in the least.

Even if the guy isn't into it for sex, doesn't mean there will be mutual interest. A man is just as likely to not be interested as a woman is. I've been on dates where the man wanted to see me again and I didn't feel the same, and I've also had the opposite where I wanted to see him again and didn't hear from him.

I will concede that it is probably easier for a woman to go out and find a man willing to screw her HOWEVER, finding someone for unattached sex and finding a ROMANTIC PARTNER, someone to date regularly or a boyfriend is not at all the same as finding a horny man to screw. Women don't have it any easier in finding a meaningful relationship than men but maybe for random sex we have the upperhand.

• Like 2
Who has the time? That describes most men.

Here's the thing: she's got to be intrigued enough to spend time with you rather than with her friends, or with her family, or alone. The more she enjoys her life, the less likely she'll go on a date with someone just because he's decent looking and seems nice.

And the risk of the date is that she now has to reject him directly. Before a date, she can just be casual and never directly tell the guy, "I don't see you that way" (usually the guy gets the hint). After a date, she has to say something, especially if this is someone she can't avoid (someone at school or in the neighborhood).

You've got to be able to get her intrigued. The good news is, there are a million ways to do so!

Try to imagine things from my shoes, where every single girl I'm interested in tells me "I don't see you that way."

How do you think it feels to get rejected a seemingly unending number of women who never even gave me a chance to show who I am?

None of the girls that I've written about recently were willing to even spend 30 minutes with me.

Sometimes, the person who says 'just give me a chance' is also the one complaining he was led on...

We can't win this game.

I would never complain that a woman who gave me a chance is leading me on.

The chance is an opportunity to prove myself.

If I gave it my best shot and it didn't work, so be it.

Maybe they have accepted reality, and in that moment accepted it's easier to remove themselves from that reality. The "morality" of it is another argument.

I wouldn't say it's proof men love more deeply, but the statistics are telling, especially since we've all been conditioned to believe women are the more emotional gender.

I think if you'll look into the details of male suicides, you'll find a lot of the suicides followed killing the woman that was leaving them, murder/suicide. I've studied the kind of people who do this (mostly men) and it's usually not caused by anything contemporaneous but caused by them growing up with very low self-esteem. They latch onto a people to prop themselves up. They don't feel complete. They get a woman and it sort of validates them. But they're too messed up to successfully sustain a relationship. Because the relationship gave them some "borrowed" worth, to leave it behind they feel leaves them nothing. It's not love. It's pathology. Serial killers come in mainly two big categories: sociopaths and the low self-esteem guys. Low self-esteem can be pitied, but when it's really severe, it's a risk to date it for women. They will be very hard to leave and it's almost guaranteed they'll have problems to prevent you from staying.

• Like 1
How would you ladies even know that he is absolutely not the right guy for you if you barely know him?

Unless a girl had some very obvious red flags, or she was completely not my type, I would have no way of knowing that she was the wrong girl for me unless I spent some time with her and got to know her better. It's basically "Innocent until proven guilty."

From what you two are saying, it's like you believe in "Guilty unless proven otherwise. It's like you'd only go on a date with guys that you absolutely already liked. That is the generally mentality with women. They won't give a guy a chance unless he absolutely blows her socks off. Men are far less picky.

I'm not understanding how you determining a woman is not your type or having obvious red flags BEFORE you go out with her is any different from a woman saying a guy is wrong for her. The same things you're using to judge these women you can consider "completely wrong type" are the same things a woman uses....

I can tell a man is not my type without going anywhere with him. From the way he dresses, talks, etc. Likewise I don't have to go out with you to witness other behaviors I don't like. Just like on dating profiles certain things a man says, the kinds of things he puts for his pictures can clue me in about whether or not he'd be a good match for me.

It is odd that you think your standard is reasonable but a woman's standard for not going out with a man aren't, when she may be using the same ones as you are: not her type, red flags.

Most men that I've at least gone on one date with did NOT blow my socks off.

Think about it this way: it is hard to know someone is right for you immediately. That takes time...but it is very easy to know when they are all wrong though! There were men I went out with once or met briefly and knew no way in hell we could ever be together. However, with any man who became my boyfriend or I dated for a bit, it wasn't that I knew instantly or they blew me away but they had enough there where I wanted to know more. THAT'S the difference. If I meet a man and have zero desire or interest to know more...why would I give him a chance? Or if I absolutely do not want to know more because he has other off putting things going on, then I'm not gonna give him a "chance", that is the SAME thing that you do where you determine quickly a woman is not your type or you turn her down based on red flags. Whereas if she is decent and you are attracted and want to know more you like her....it's the SAME darn thing for many women, for me it is for sure, regardless of how much you're trying to make it seem like women have some alien standards.

• Like 4

How did you know you weren’t interested in 19 out of 20 girls in your dance class?

I can tell after talking to a guy for five minutes whether he’s the type of guy I might want to go out on a date with. I can take into account his appearance, how he carries himself, his demeanor, how he talks to me, his clothing, his conversation, his sense of humor, his career, etc. and figure that out in five minutes. That gets him to date one. Whether it goes beyond that is established later.

I mean, don’t you meet girls who you just don’t click with? Don’t you meet girls who you just don’t care for their personality? It doesn’t make them a bad person, but you don’t want to go on a date with them, do you? Why would women be any different?

Why would I go on a date with a guy I didn’t already like? That makes no sense. Of course I’m going to have to like a guy if I’m going to spend time with him or go on a date with him. Why else would I bother? How much I like him, though, is TBD. Why would I go out with a guy who made me feel awkward or who I didn’t feel a connection with or who wasn’t compatible with my lifestyle? And a guy doesn’t have to blow my socks off, either. But yes, I have standards, and if a guy doesn’t meet them I’m not going to bother going on a date with him. If a guy seems all wrong for me, I'm not going to bother going on a date with him. And I bet you wouldn’t go out on a date with a girl who didn’t meet your standards, either, would you?

And men are absolutely not less picky than women. They are just picky in different ways. For all your talk about how not picky you are, you pursue very few women, which leads me to believe that you are pickier than the average guy.

Frankly, life has showed me that what the guy want is absolutely irrelevant. The whole notion of the guy being the pursuer is ridiculous.

Why is it ridiculous? It seems to work for most men. Why not you?

For me, starting to like a girl I know is the worst thing I can do because there is an insignificant chance that she will like me back. All that does is result in me getting hurt.

Join the club. This happens to everyone.

I think the best thing to happen with dating would for women to be the aggressors and start asking men out. The current system with men having to ask out hundreds of women till one finally says yes is broken. By that time the guy doesn't even like the girl he's with. She's just the first one who actually said yes.

There are plenty of women out there who ask men out and who pursue men. Some of those women have even pursued you, if I recall correctly.

And correct me if I’m wrong, but you haven’t asked out hundreds of women, have you? I’ll say it again - if you are having to ask out that many women to get one date – you are barking up the wrong tree.

• Like 2

It's a long thread.

Women have it easier when it's about getting dates and/or sex. But I think women have it harder when it's about finding a long term relationship and/or marriage.

Notice that men on the forums talk more about "getting women" (plural), while they talk less about how to find a long term relationship. That's the only difference.

Also, it depends of the woman. If the woman is older and/or has kids from a previous marriage, she's not as beautiful or has a few extra pounds (or God forbid weighs 200lb) it's going to be even harder for her to find anything else other than sex. So...both genders have it hard, but from different perspectives.

Personally I'm over 40, I have a kid with me 100% of the time. I worked very hard to find my current relationship and the best thing I did was not giving up despite failure after failure to find a serious relationship.

I get that it's hard to not give up when you face failure over and over again. So I do have sympathy for the unsuccessful men. I don't have sympathy for the ones who engage in hate talk though. That just shows you're hateful and maybe women were not so wrong in rejecting you. There are women who do exactly the same, due to an endless list of disappointments. It's not fun, it's not attractive, and it's a self fulfilled prophecy.

It's confusing because men want primarily sex and women want primarily love. Both genders have a hard time finding what they're looking for. Maybe they each have an easy time to find what the other gender wants, but it's not helping.

Edited by BluEyeL
  • Like 4
I'm not understanding how you determining a woman is not your type or having obvious red flags BEFORE you go out with her is any different from a woman saying a guy is wrong for her. The same things you're using to judge these women you can consider "completely wrong type" are the same things a woman uses....

Not exactly.

If a woman is obese or has an ugly face I know she is not my type. I can never be attracted to woman like that.

As for red flags, I'm friendly with a girl in my class. She was somebody I was interested in up until today when she told me that over the weekend she went to a rave and got "high as fu*ck." I was actually considering asking her out until I heard that.

So that is how I figure out of a woman is my type or gives me red flags before I go on a date with her.

I can tell a man is not my type without going anywhere with him. From the way he dresses, talks, etc. Likewise I don't have to go out with you to witness other behaviors I don't like. Just like on dating profiles certain things a man says, the kinds of things he puts for his pictures can clue me in about whether or not he'd be a good match for me.

Are you talking about situations where a guy is dressing and talking differently from the norm or just talking about normal guys?

Unless a woman dressed like a total goth or something extreme like that, I wouldn't use her appearance to determine if she is my type.

It is odd that you think your standard is reasonable but a woman's standard for not going out with a man aren't, when she may be using the same ones as you are: not her type, red flags.

If that's the case, then I wonder what red flags I'm giving off to girls I've asked out. I seriously can't think of anything about myself that stands out in a negative way. I have no idea why I keep getting rejected.

Most men that I've at least gone on one date with did NOT blow my socks off.

Think about it this way: it is hard to know someone is right for you immediately. That takes time...but it is very easy to know when they are all wrong though!

OK, I agree with you there. I can also tell when a girl would be completely wrong for me. But those girls are extreme examples and not the norm. In a dance class of 20 girls, there are usually 4 girls that I know are not my type. I would gladly get to know the other 16. Are women the same way?

There were men I went out with once or met briefly and knew no way in hell we could ever be together. However, with any man who became my boyfriend or I dated for a bit, it wasn't that I knew instantly or they blew me away but they had enough there where I wanted to know more. THAT'S the difference. If I meet a man and have zero desire or interest to know more...why would I give him a chance?

So how do you know that you want to know more about a guy if he didn't initially blow your socks off?

I would say that being a very attractive women in the dating world has its pitfalls, like being stalked. Also, a lot of grown men outright lying so they can have sex with you. Or maybe having a difficult time having a meaningful relationship because the guy is fixated on having sex all the time. That kind of stuff gets old.

A friend of mine did a pity date. Well, they met online but not on OLD and it was after she met him she realized what a loser he was. She was nice to him though, but then he wouldn't stop bothering her. When she refused to go out anymore, he got really nasty and was stalking her online and offline. Going on a pity date isn't a good idea because not saying all the guys are messed up that you might try out, but a certain percentage, for the very reason that they know you are out of their league, simply will not go away and become dangerous. Women like that exist as well, but the percentage of women who become violent is so small that it's mainly the pestering and spying on and trying to break up future relationships you have to worry about. Men do all that AND can get violent. So it's really not adviseable to throw someone a bone who you know you're not going to ever be romantically attracted to.

I mean, I have been romantically attracted to a guy or two who wasn't good looking at all, but I knew within a couple of minutes they had something special, charm or intelligence of the type I clicked with, plus they were successful and talented already. So it's not like it never happens to cross the "looks" hierarchy, but if you don't have it and you want to cross it, you have to become very accomplished in something and be a fascinating character. Why? Because nobody wants a baby that looks or acts like George Castanza -- OH, WAIT -- all babies look and act like George Castanza, don't they. My bad.

• Like 1

Well, it depends. If it's a guy I already know - who I have been around a little and talked with at least once before, chances are I know if I am attracted to him or not.

If it's a guy I don't know (I met him through friends quickly at a party, spoke 2-3 minutes with him etc) chances are I'll be more willing to 'give him a shot'. Though, to be honest, in a case like this, the person's physical appearance would come into account.

Still don't owe a guy a date just because he asked though.

Try to imagine things from my shoes, where every single girl I'm interested in tells me "I don't see you that way."

How do you think it feels to get rejected a seemingly unending number of women who never even gave me a chance to show who I am?

None of the girls that I've written about recently were willing to even spend 30 minutes with me.

SD, the same things happens to women all the time, except you rarely get a good explanation. Women get their hopes up and their hearts dashed all the time. Some guy will stay with you and basically waste a bunch of your time and you think he cares and then when it seems like a commitment ought to be forthcoming, he avoids talking about it and when pushed will say he's not ready or you're not his type or what he wants to commit to. I mean, it doesn't just happen to guys. It literally happens to everyone and I think girls actually get the worst end of the stick because their time is wasted by someone pretending to like them just to keep getting sex.

• Like 4
How did you know you weren’t interested in 19 out of 20 girls in your dance class?

I think you misinterpreted what I wrote. In that class, there was one girl that I really liked and felt I had a strong connection with which I didn't feel with the other 19. I liked her more than the rest, but didn't say I would not go out with anybody else.

I can tell after talking to a guy for five minutes whether he’s the type of guy I might want to go out on a date with. I can take into account his appearance, how he carries himself, his demeanor, how he talks to me, his clothing, his conversation, his sense of humor, his career, etc. and figure that out in five minutes. That gets him to date one. Whether it goes beyond that is established later.

That sounds really picky and complicated. It's almost like you have a preset type that you would only date and were trying to see what men would fit into that.

I mean, don’t you meet girls who you just don’t click with? Don’t you meet girls who you just don’t care for their personality? It doesn’t make them a bad person, but you don’t want to go on a date with them, do you? Why would women be any different?

Honestly, unless a girl has a mean and stuck up or super shy I don't have problems with girls' personalities.

As for the girls I do ask out, I really felt that they did click with me because they did seem to enjoy my company. But that in itself is not enough to get a date with them. Neither of the girls asked out gave me their phone numbers because they didn't get along with me.

Why would I go on a date with a guy I didn’t already like? That makes no sense. Of course I’m going to have to like a guy if I’m going to spend time with him or go on a date with him. Why else would I bother? How much I like him, though, is TBD. Why would I go out with a guy who made me feel awkward or who I didn’t feel a connection with or who wasn’t compatible with my lifestyle? And a guy doesn’t have to blow my socks off, either. But yes, I have standards, and if a guy doesn’t meet them I’m not going to bother going on a date with him.

Isn't that the whole point of dating, to find out if you can really like the other person. Why date at all if you already really like them and just jump into a relationship insead?

If a guy seems all wrong for me, I'm not going to bother going on a date with him. And I bet you wouldn’t go out on a date with a girl who didn’t meet your standards, either, would you?

No, I would not go out with a girl who doesn't meet my standards. Though I am extremely confused about what standards I'm not meeting that college girls have set up.

And men are absolutely not less picky than women. They are just picky in different ways. For all your talk about how not picky you are, you pursue very few women, which leads me to believe that you are pickier than the average guy.

In the past two months I have tried to pursue about 10 women. Does that seem like a small number to you?

The only reason I'm not asking out more women is that I'm getting tired of being rejected. Asking out 30 more women and getting rejected by all of them is only going to make me feel worse.

Why is it ridiculous? It seems to work for most men. Why not you?

It doesn't work. That's the point. No guy wants to keep on asking out woman after woman trying to find one who will actually say yes. At that point the individual woman doesn't matter anymore. She's just a female.

There are plenty of women out there who ask men out and who pursue men. Some of those women have even pursued you, if I recall correctly.

And they were all very unattractive. Most likely the only reason they did pursue me was because they knew that there were not desirable and felt that men would not pursue them. So they had to take matters into their own hands.

And correct me if I’m wrong, but you haven’t asked out hundreds of women, have you?

Not yet, but at the rate I'm going it will happen. That's not a milestone I want to hit.

I’ll say it again - if you are having to ask out that many women to get one date – you are barking up the wrong tree.

Human females? What "tree" should I be going after?

Not exactly.

If a woman is obese or has an ugly face I know she is not my type. I can never be attracted to woman like that.

As for red flags, I'm friendly with a girl in my class. She was somebody I was interested in up until today when she told me that over the weekend she went to a rave and got "high as fu*ck." I was actually considering asking her out until I heard that.

So that is how I figure out of a woman is my type or gives me red flags before I go on a date with her.

Are you talking about situations where a guy is dressing and talking differently from the norm or just talking about normal guys?

Unless a woman dressed like a total goth or something extreme like that, I wouldn't use her appearance to determine if she is my type.

If that's the case, then I wonder what red flags I'm giving off to girls I've asked out. I seriously can't think of anything about myself that stands out in a negative way. I have no idea why I keep getting rejected.

OK, I agree with you there. I can also tell when a girl would be completely wrong for me. But those girls are extreme examples and not the norm. In a dance class of 20 girls, there are usually 4 girls that I know are not my type. I would gladly get to know the other 16. Are women the same way?

So how do you know that you want to know more about a guy if he didn't initially blow your socks off?

Blowing socks off...and simply wanting to know more are very different types of things.

If I liked the conversation and was attracted to him there naturally arises a feeling of wanting to know more.

If I don't have that feeling I may think of him as a friend but have no desire to date him OR on the other hand he may have turned me off where I view him negatively. You can either like a guy, like him a lot, kinda like him, be neutral about him, dislike him or be repulsed. Anything in the like range usually leads to wanting to see if there is more there. Neutral to repulsed means most likely I won't go anywhere with you.

Obese and facial looks are still looking at appearance FYI.

You say if a woman is obese or has an ugly face she isn't your type...okay...so why can't you accept that a woman can also meet a man who does not match up to her physical type? I'm confused as to why in your mind what you're doing is rational but you somehow fail to see how a woman may also be doing the same thing deciding: he's obese, he's bald, he has an ugly face, he's too tall whatever other feature and uses that to eliminate you just like you're doing. Also you mentioned a woman saying she is high and it turned you off...SAME thing...I can talk to a man for 5 minutes and based on stuff he says and other aspects about him know he is not my type just like you do. We aren't two different species but are using the very SAME choosing processes in terms of ascertaining interest and type upon meeting.

• Like 4
So what about women who aren't measurably attractive? There are plenty of those types of women out there who struggle to get dates. Dating isn't easier for them, is it? Do they get any pity from you guys? Should men be forced to go on pity dates with those women, to give them a chance?

eSympathy.com

The domain is for sale if anyone's interested in starting up a dating website that matches up the pathetic with the sympathetic.

It's like those sugar daddy sites except instead of the common exchange being material wealth for lavished attention, it would be sobbing pity for self-effacing analysis.

• Like 8
SD, the same things happens to women all the time, except you rarely get a good explanation. Women get their hopes up and their hearts dashed all the time. Some guy will stay with you and basically waste a bunch of your time and you think he cares and then when it seems like a commitment ought to be forthcoming, he avoids talking about it and when pushed will say he's not ready or you're not his type or what he wants to commit to. I mean, it doesn't just happen to guys. It literally happens to everyone and I think girls actually get the worst end of the stick because their time is wasted by someone pretending to like them just to keep getting sex.

That is such an easy situation to avoid.

Don't have sex without being in a relationship.

All you have to do is communicate with the guy. If he doesn't want to talk about a relationship, move on.

Also, if a woman is constantly finding herself in FWB's she needs to realize that she is the one letting it happen.

It's not hard at all to find a decent guy who wants a relationship.

Oh, please. Men put in more effort? Do men put on makeup every morning, style their hair, and put on a chest lifting device and high heels to make themselves more attractive? I don't think so. What DO they do to make themselves more attractive?

I for one would be more than happy to oblige if that does it for you and make things more equal :p

• Like 3