Co-worker never shuts her mouth-now reading out loud everyone's addresses!

• Author
There seems to be something else at work here, you have said this more than once..

I get the too loud, too much talking and saying things publicly that she shouldn't.. go to YOUR boss and mention it.

As far as her being special.. that you need to get over, that is all on you and how you feel about it.

Change the way you are thinking about her, be indifferent...

Well wouldn't you call it special when she just can't manage to get herself here 5 minutes earlier than usual and park her car across the street and walk over to the meeting rather than rolling up right at 10:30 and parking it right by the front door of the building that should be reserved for customers? She is like the last one here on a daily basis and the driveway and lot behind our place is pretty packed but rather than park it on the street like a majority of people need to do, she manages to squeeze it into a spot in the yard. God forbid she be asked to walk a block...she certainly could use the exercise! She feels she's privileged to take the one chair that is available while everyone else stands. She thinks it's perfectly fine to take a 1 hour lunch break (only get 30 minutes paid) and then go back to her desk for 5 minutes and then get a call from another coworker wanting to go to Starbucks for a coffee and take off for another 30 minutes and then come back and look on Facebook or get on a kick about the Jetsons and the Addams Family and play the theme song out loud on her computer (yup she did that yesterday!) so we can all remember how the song goes?! Who DOES that at work???

Well wouldn't you call it special when she just can't manage to get herself here 5 minutes earlier than usual and park her car across the street and walk over to the meeting rather than rolling up right at 10:30 and parking it right by the front door of the building that should be reserved for customers? She is like the last one here on a daily basis and the driveway and lot behind our place is pretty packed but rather than park it on the street like a majority of people need to do, she manages to squeeze it into a spot in the yard. God forbid she be asked to walk a block...she certainly could use the exercise! She feels she's privileged to take the one chair that is available while everyone else stands. She thinks it's perfectly fine to take a 1 hour lunch break (only get 30 minutes paid) and then go back to her desk for 5 minutes and then get a call from another coworker wanting to go to Starbucks for a coffee and take off for another 30 minutes and then come back and look on Facebook or get on a kick about the Jetsons and the Addams Family and play the theme song out loud on her computer (yup she did that yesterday!) so we can all remember how the song goes?! Who DOES that at work???

Someone who has a 17yr history of getting away with it, including probably a long marriage with her husband [of getting away with it] and parents who never taught her manners.

The bottom line is, will the ppl in charge do something about it ?

I don't think so, but you know best.

The guy who has been there longer got used to her selfish ways; it just leaves you and probably the new guys scratching your heads.

I'm going to change my position a bit. This lady doesnt sound evil. But you do sound very irritable and borderline angry. Let's look at some other ideas. (Mean ideas and pranks are for people purposely aggravating you). Not to say, some stealth head-messing won't be needed here, but for a kinder purpose and outcome. So, allow me to spin this s little different.

Perhaps she has a "learning" disability such as ADHD - that is often medicated by psychiatrists with anfitamines salts (speed). I have to take that stuff when I must focus and get stuff. It does make you into a chatter box if you don't apply yourself to a task. And there is a major crash at the end of the day she may be sleep off (although time-released is now available, but expensive even through insurance). I asked for my dosage to be cut in 1/2, and it worked just as well. This, of course is just speculation - so, you cannot say anything about that.

Anyway, if you don't want to give her something interesting to talk about, like a dead skunk in the parking lot, then try to find the humor and pleasure in the MAD things she already doing: some are pretty good.

I know the extended version of the lyrics to the Addams family theme very well, it is a fine, creative song. I have sung this song publically at a few large Halloween parties and one time at a conference in Tiapea. You could ask her - to sing the lyrics - they are pretty funny, and she is going to stumble on them - the ending of some are very convoluted, and complicated to pronounce within the beat. You could question her, "What? "What?" "Scream-um," "No, that word doesn't exist! You gotta do better research on this before you sing, get to work!". A few laughs! Then let prove what lyrics. It will take her some time to get that song pay.

Rocky Horror Picture Show has some good lyrics. I like the Flinstones theme personally. I also love song, "I'm Crazzzzy.". That would you laugh to hear her sing that.

The point is, when she gets on a roll about something, such as the addresses, spin it either over positive, negative, over-the-top, or out of control. In other words help her exhaust the topic so she will first give you laughs (and put you in control of situation), then she will get sick of it herself and STFU. It is like ice cream, a bowl of three scoop is good - but a whole 1/2 carton is way to much. That is what your going for in a few "large kills."

Here is an example of what I mean of a "large kill" in address situation. You could inquire if she's able to locate Jeffery Daumer's old address (in a serious way). If she balks, ask her what the problem is - he's dead, it not like you're exposing a living person's personal information, right? [this is a reasonable explanation why she should not be doing this, and perfect opportunity she herself has brought up]. If that doesn't work, continue with "over-kill" by inquiring about other ghastly person's addresses and Map-Quests.

Is anyone actually interested in a show - so you could "re-direct" her, and learn information you like? I love the "Walking Dead" - I'd like to know more about that, and zombees in general. If I could, I would ask her to generate an historical list of Zombee movies for me to place in my Netflex que.

Get some milage outta this woman. I need some direction on how to fix the ice maker connection on my fridge - but it's too frustrating for me. If I asked he, I bet she'd call me at home for make and model number, and have instructions on my desk the next day.

There seem to be a resurgence of looking at the good side of things rather than the bad (in the 70's, psychology was very interesting in studying happy people instead of sick people). At this time, in the popualar recent literature, this "way of seeing the psyche" has been coined Positive Psychology. That said, how can you take a negative and turn it into a positive? This is a way to go through life with a different point of view. If something bothers you or rubs you the wrong way - change how you view the situation. Find something positive about (even if it is only 10%) and appreciate and be thankful for that 10%. Bottom line, in applying Positive Psychology a good question you (OP) might want to ask yourself is: Do I want to go through every working day ticked off about this lady? Or how will I change the situation and myself to enjoy being at work? Map out a plan and do it.

Here is an example of a positive spin on your reaction to the Addams family theme:

What would it hurt you to mention after work - "Hey, Sue, hearing the old theme song to the Addams Family today brought back some fond memories for me!" you know, that would make her day. She is looking for attention.

Is that going to kill you?

Give a few professional wake up calls with cues I've suggested that will throw the subject off track, one gorey poke, some special requests, and positive praise (instead of hostile looks and unexpressed anger). Im throwing out a wiggliy road so she doesnt think it's fake (cause right now, she is feeding only from negative energy - you have to wean her off slowly - introduce positive at same time).

Later on -- some "unsolicited positive feedback" that will get back to her will make her day too. You could mention to the boss "what an excellent researcher she is on the Internet." Or, how she brightens up our day she in the office."

She has has put in 17 years. Who cares where she gets to park, extra phone calls, and coming in late privileges. When you are there 17 years, then you can have these perks. Look at that way - like she earned it. How many years have you put in compared to her? In all honesty - who ranks higher for that front spot (as long as boss doesn't object)? Who cares? Big deal, walk a block, it is good exercise, and you are with your other comrades. Ask her to join you sometime. Look at it positive.

Your pride can be defined any way you want to define it. You can define yourself as a pee-on that parks on the street; or as a colleague that enjoys a nice one block walk for a unique chance TP leave the desk and stretch your legs. How does that compared to standing over a hot grill for hours at a fast food place?

See where that gets you. Yas

Edited by Yasuandio
  • Like 1
  • Author

Wow! Time on your hands to write that much?!

I never said she was evil...just annoying as hell!! I have never worked at a place where a coworker had diarrhea of the mouth to bring up such inane topics and then go on and on about them while everyone else is trying to concentrate on work...and then whine that she's never going to hit her deadline! Um....less talk and more work might help you out with that!

Mapper- Get her a book on sign language and tell her its the new policy as you are now in a no talking zone .

ANd yes its absolutely possible to be in a business where favoritism is seeping from upper management. You aren't "dreaming it up", and for someone to suggest that its all in your perspective, that is terribly inaccurate. It's denying the reality of the situation. Part of accepting a fact is admitting it. So you admitted it. The favoritism is clouding the judgment of upper management to curtail her loudness. That is on them and her.

• Like 1
Wow! Time on your hands to write that much?!

I never said she was evil...just annoying as hell!! I have never worked at a place where a coworker had diarrhea of the mouth to bring up such inane topics and then go on and on about them while everyone else is trying to concentrate on work...and then whine that she's never going to hit her deadline! Um....less talk and more work might help you out with that!

I thought "I" took sort of an evil approach in my first post so I changed my position, and tried to offer some constructive ideas. I am a very smart person, manic, disabled, and, indeed, time on my hands, but damn smart. It takes me no time to whip up a post like that - and go back later - correct my misspelling. No big deal - 5 minutes tops. I devoted that time to assist you in the problem you posted publicly, in good faith. It is worth to me to try to help others, because of the help I've received on LS with my personal issues.

If you don't find my post helpful, then that is fine. It is a free country where I live. There is no need to put me down.

Actually I grew a bit from changing my perspective, sometimes back and forth dialogue stimulates this internal process. Maybe, with the input you've received from me and other posters, you might consider being less hostile, and more concerned about your own work productivity, rather than so focused on a woman that clearly has seniority over you. That's a thought, EH?

If you wanna weigh quantity of time and energy spent on this issue - well, all I did was type two posts, during mania (that is a time I am most creative at problem-solving). Evidently, this women is eating your gut into the midnight hours. I'll keep my ideas to myself since they seem unwelcome. Farethewell. Yas

Edited by Yasuandio
  • Like 2

About the lunch table thing you said, if she's been there so long, it follows that she's fairly high ranking. Maybe she's actually been told to not go to lunch with the "underlings" or something. I know it seems that way in my small office, definite boundaries there.

• Like 1
nofeelings22

This woman is married??

The poor husband!

This is the absolute worst co worker I have ever heard of. I think I'd quit.

• Like 1

Why don't you just go SHHHHHHHHHHHHHH super loudly when she starts going on?

I have a co-worker that I have to SHHHHHHHHHHHHHH multiple times a day. I hope she'll eventually get it. So far she just apologizes every time and then does it again an hour later but it's only been a couple months.

If your office is casual, how about "Sally! God! We read that email an hour ago! We don't need you to announce it to us!"

I mean have you tried just telling her to stuff it? You certainly can't hint around w/ people like that.

About the lunch table thing you said, if she's been there so long, it follows that she's fairly high ranking. Maybe she's actually been told to not go to lunch with the "underlings" or something. I know it seems that way in my small office, definite boundaries there.

I totally am beginning to comprehend that "underling status" may be the real issue here. Furthermore, this woman is creative, fun, into pop culture, probably post-modern business concepts OP cannot phathom. Such divergent thinking, on the part of higher ranks, with you are accustomed to SOP has got to be maddening to an inflexible left-brainer. So, this is where upsets, diabetes, heart disease, etc., come forth.

I believe I raised some good points on Positive Psychology - it is the rage right now! A viewpoint that really helps people re-define their "egos" and get along better. But not everyone is in a one office situation as the OP. Personally, I have always had a private office as a Teacher or Professor during my career. I cannot imagine a workplace like this - as I would have to wear headphones, since I'm sobeasily distracted. But I would still try the tips I offered in my 2nd post. And I would try to get friendly with lady - rather than spewing bile. Or at least that is what I'm feeling from this dude. He didn't pick up on a single suggestion. Oh well. Next. Yas

Hope Shimmers

Does she work for the government?

Seriously, I think I have sat next to this woman on every transcontinental airline flight I've been on.

Take a screenshot of her desktop, set it as the background then delete all her icons.

:lmao: I'm borrowing this one for use on a few people, thanks!

• Like 3

Haha, what amusement. I got another manic idea, sure to shut this thread down:

Be a man, handle it. Y

• Author
This woman is married??

The poor husband!

This is the absolute worst co worker I have ever heard of. I think I'd quit.

Yup, not only she has been married for about 10 years BUT her husband calls her on almost a daily basis at work between 1 and 3PM and they have a 10 minute conversation on what she is working on, what to have for dinner, etc!

• Author

I had told a coworker before she got in that we need to work on this one thing because the coauthor who works here who needs to proof it is leaving next Tuesday on a 6 week vacation next (which appears to be news to everyone from my manager to my coworkers). I tell this to Chatty when she gets in. My manger comes in 10 minutes later to have our quick round table on what we are working on. I tell her that we need to get working on this because he is leaving next week and this is the first she is hearing about his vacation as well and she asks me where he's going and how long he's going to be gone. I can't even get 2 words out of my mouth and Chatty pipes up "He's going to France for research and he's going to be gone for 6-8 weeks and he never told us about it" Shut the f*** up! The only reason you know he's going ANYWHERE is because I TOLD you 10 minutes ago! And how the hell do you know he's going to be gone for 6-8 weeks when he never said a word about it?! I tried talking over her to explain what was going on but she just talked louder. She just HAS to be the one telling everyone the news first! Ugh...I was so angry!

Oh and news alert! I just stepped away for about 2 minutes and came back to my desk to hear her clipping her fingernails! Gross!

Edited by Mapper71
Added some stuff
  • Author

So we have a new girl who started with us about 2 weeks ago. She's not really new as she interned for us 2 summers ago and then worked as an asst. last summer and just graduated and was taken on full time because she's really sharp. So there's one aspect of the job that gets done by Chatty because she understands it the best. She has to do this before handing the stuff off to me to work on. Well there have been days where I have had to sit and twiddle my thumbs waiting on her because she gets in so much later and then spends an hour doing personal stuff and usually has to run across the street to talk to someone which takes forever and just basically anything you can think of that is NOT doing work. Well this new girl took over working on the stuff she does because Chatty is going on a month long vacation next week (YEA!!!) and I got twice as many things from her in half the time it would take Chatty! This new girl comes in and immediately gets to work. I had work piling up on my desk rather than waiting on anything. This girl can take Chatty's place in my opinion!

Oh and news alert! I just stepped away for about 2 minutes and came back to my desk to hear her clipping her fingernails! Gross!

Could you tell your boss that her chattiness is disturbing your work and that you'd rather move desks?

Or better (because the boss will just tell her to quiet down which she won't, and you'll look like a tattle tale), say:

That due to sitting under the ventilator, your allergies have increased and that to avoid taking sick days, you'll need to move desks.

This B!TCH! :lmao:

She sounds hilarious, not to work with though! Sorry OP!

I don't think there is anything you will be able to do about her unfortunately. You'll have to grit her teeth. I don't think I would complain about her either since you said others seem to like her.

To everyone who thinks OP is irritbable...WELL YA!!! This type of person does so many little annoying things, none of them on their own are a big deal so you can't say anything, but they all build up and build up till you stab her in the face for eating crackers too loud.

So we have a new girl who started with us about 2 weeks ago. She's not really new as she interned for us 2 summers ago and then worked as an asst. last summer and just graduated and was taken on full time because she's really sharp. So there's one aspect of the job that gets done by Chatty because she understands it the best. She has to do this before handing the stuff off to me to work on. Well there have been days where I have had to sit and twiddle my thumbs waiting on her because she gets in so much later and then spends an hour doing personal stuff and usually has to run across the street to talk to someone which takes forever and just basically anything you can think of that is NOT doing work. Well this new girl took over working on the stuff she does because Chatty is going on a month long vacation next week (YEA!!!) and I got twice as many things from her in half the time it would take Chatty! This new girl comes in and immediately gets to work. I had work piling up on my desk rather than waiting on anything. This girl can take Chatty's place in my opinion!

Make sure you point out this out to the boss. Praise new girl on how quickly and QUIETLY she gets stuff done.:)

• Like 1
  • Author

So it's Friday and that means that Chatty traipses in a little later because our manager isn't here on Friday's. Her coming in late isn't an issue as they are very flexible with hours but I don't know if she stays any later (and neither does anyone else because she is the last one here!). Even if she is here later I'm sure she's on the Internet for most of it! So she didn't come in until 11AM today (I have been here since 7:30!). She came in and the only work related thing she has done so far is read her work emails! Since then she has proceeded onto her personal Yahoo account and typed emails there, went onto the Sephora website and ordered something and is now on LyricWikia looking up lyrics to songs! I am waiting for her to do the one thing she does so I can do my part, but who knows if she'll get to that before noon. And then it will soon be time for her hour-long lunch. Friday's I leave at 3PM so I hope she gets this one thing done before then! If the new girl was doing this it would already be done and on my desk!

UPDATE: Oh I just took a peek at her computer and now she is on Facebook! It's 11:45 and nothing has been done!

UPDATE #2: It is now noon and she has gone back to LyricWikia and also Spotify. Still not a damn thing done! I'm going to lunch!!

Edited by Mapper71
  • Author

UPDATE #3: She has FINALLY gotten to work after more than an hour of personal stuff. However the entire time she was surfing the net she was totally quiet. As soon as she started working she put her headphones on and is now singing out loud and immediately complaining that she doesn't understand what needs to be done! The one who usually helps her out on stuff is off today too!

• Author

So Monday's are our dept meeting. As usual she can't manage to get here by 10:25 so she can park her car so she parks it right by the front door. After the meeting she makes her rounds talking to everyone in the other building and then takes her time parking her car, sits in it for a few minutes before coming in. Comes in at 11:15 and starts typing her personal emails. Shortly thereafter an editor comes over to her desk to ask her a question and she quickly clicks off of her personal email. He needs her to print out a couple pages of something for him and bring it to him. She does that immediately and then takes it to him and is gone for about 15 minutes talking to others. It is now 12:20 and she's been back at her desk for about 40 minutes and has done NO work. She is currently on a celebrity gossip site!

She hasn't said a word while doing all of this because it's personal stuff. I'll know when she starts working because she'll start talking out loud and talking about inane stuff. Or else complaining that she doesn't understand this and needs help. She has no desire to learn anything other than what she knows and wants everyone else to help her finish her work.

I am really getting pissed off by how much she doesn't work! I never realized before just how much she comes in and doesn't do anything work related for at least an hour. I get home at night and check Facebook and see she just posted a new Facebook picture, but she's still at work! It'll be time for her to go to lunch in an hour and she hasn't done a damn thing!

You sure spend a lot of time policing her and nailing down the timing of her activities. Better make sure it doesn't detract from your own work. Frankly, you're starting to sound a little obsessed. You actually know what websites she's shopping on?

I've been in your position, watching that person that gets away with murder. Bringing it to light got ME fired, mainly because I didn't go about it in a calm, methodical way. Are your troubles at home spilling into your work life? Just curious.

• Like 2

Matter of fact, aren't you at work right now? You have three threads going (that I've noticed). This one, the 'So irritated' one, and the 'puppy' thread. You've done a considerable amount of posting in all of them. :confused:

• Like 2
whichwayisup

You're aware of this, so are many other people, so chances are, the bosses and some management probably are too. Focus on your own work and keep your head down. She'll mess up one day and have a warning or be fired some day.

• Like 1
  • Author
Matter of fact, aren't you at work right now? You have three threads going (that I've noticed). This one, the 'So irritated' one, and the 'puppy' thread. You've done a considerable amount of posting in all of them. :confused:

Ah yes! I was waiting for someone to point that out! Yup I sure am at work! HOWEVER I am waiting on her to get me stuff to do as I am caught up with everything. If I was in her position I'd sure make sure my coworkers had their needed work before spending my time on personal sites. And yes I police her computer because I can see it from where I sit! I have 2 monitors and there's a gap between them and through that gap I can directly see her computer!