Would you allow your daughter to attend swim classes with boys in school?

• Author
Maybe schools should cancel cheerleading, Theatre should be cancelled since most plays have a boy and girl kiss at some point, Health class should be cancelled also because they talk about the human body and sex ed. Lets not forget school dances, that time honored tradition definitely has to go.

How does your spouse feel about the class? Is this a religious problem for you? What was school like when you were growing up?

Things like cheerleading and dances are optional things. Not parts of the curriculum

Things like cheerleading and dances are optional things. Not parts of the curriculum

Home school or independent study. Problem solved.

Exercise is part of curriculum too. Proper attire for swimming is a bathing suit.

What are YOU so afraid of? Be specific!

• Like 1

So do you not allow your child to go to dances or to go to pep rallies where the cheerleaders are ogled?

Your views on this topic are skewed.

• Author
Teenage girls not rowdy?

from what I have seen, teenage boys are definitely far more rowdy, boisterous, loud, and and not as sensitive. Obviously they will outgrow that but during this part of their lives putting them with teenage girls in a pool seems like a recipe for harassment or making fun of them. I just don't understand how forcing girls to wear revealing clothes in front of boys is an acceptable thing, but I guess for whatever reason some people find it acceptable

Edited by astr591
from what I have seen, teenage boys are definitely far more rowdy, boisterous, loud, and and not as sensitive. Obviously they will outgrow that but during this part of their lives putting them with teenage girls in a pool seems like a recipe for harassment or making fun of them

Is it you or your daughter that is afraid of her being harassed? Or both?

Why do you or her fear this? Please be specific so we can try to understand what the problem is.

from what I have seen, teenage boys are definitely far more rowdy, boisterous, loud, and and not as sensitive. Obviously they will outgrow that but during this part of their lives putting them with teenage girls in a pool seems like a recipe for harassment or making fun of them. I just don't understand how forcing girls to wear revealing clothes in front of boys is an acceptable thing, but I guess for whatever reason some people find it acceptable

Answer my question please - instead of stating more unreasonable and uncalled for observations!

I raised boys - they aren't the harassing type or disrespectful!

If anything, the young girls were more forward!

You have gotten yourself stuck in this one pattern of thinking, to the point where you are unable to consider alternate viewpoints.

If you read what everyone has already said to you, you'll see that many here have had the experience of co-ed swimming and have NOT experienced what you are scared of. Not ONE person has said something bad happened to them in co-ed swimming.

Yes, teenage boys are rowdy. And yes, they can be inappropriate. But this is a CLASS. Part of the curriculum, as you said. There will be teachers present, as well as the other kids. Do you really think some rowdy boy is going to be able to say or do something that damages your daughter while in a CLASS?

I don't think you are looking at this situation logically. You have one outcome stuck in your head, and it's all you can see for some reason.

Again, you need to quit saying the same thing, and instead analyze your feelings and figure out why this issue is such a big deal to you.

Were you traumatized when you were younger?

Have you taught your daughter to speak up FOR HERSELF?

If you don't believe she can take care of herself by stating HER TRUTH then YOU have work to do as a parent!

She should not be lead to believe she will become the victim!

At first I assumed you were the mother, but I after thinking about this, I'd like to ask: Are you the father?

• Like 1
mrs rubble

I have a 15yo boy, who is very noisy, and boisterous. However he is far more sensitive than a load of girls his age I've met, and he has actually called out other's name-calling me and his friends. So don't go generalising about who does what! I've found his female friends to be way more fickle and mean.

Are the girls "forced" as you say to wear revealing bathing suits against their will? Most teenage girls I've met lately are more than happy to parade around showing off as much as humanly possible.

I think given that you are the ONLY one who see's this as an issue, then maybe the issue is with you. I hope you aren't projecting your negativity onto your daughter......this is how eating disorders begin and depression is fed.

• Like 1

If the girls and boys had to wear bathing suits to history class, then you might have a case.

My guess is the OP was harassed by boys when she was an overweight teen. Perhaps this is what she wears herself.

I think it's an overly protective dad, possibly with sole custody. No one to temper him. Thinks he can keep his daughters to himself until they're 40.

Not gonna lie, I hated swim class! Not because it was co-ed though... Just because it was SUCH a mission to get into the swim suit and then OUT of it and it's impossible to get dry at all in those locker rooms! And the chlorine would sting my eyes and my hair would be a complete mess... Also hated the stupid swim caps!

But never EVER have I been (felt?) oggled or leered at or anything of the sort!

amaysngrace

Just teach her how to shave her pubes already and let the kid have fun

• Like 1
bubbaganoosh
Not to mention young boys will be shirtless around young girls and I think that is inappropriate especially in a school setting

Would you prefer that the girls are topless and the boys wore shirts?

I got a feeling that there are some boys in the class and some girls in the class that have seen each other wearing a lot less than a bathing suit. Not all but some.

With a teacher there, I think it would be unlikely that the guys are going to try to play grab ass and run the risk of getting kicked out of school or worse.

If there's anything to worry about it Friday and Saturday nights when there are no teachers, parents or any one in authority.

Glinda.Good

Swimming should be prohibited altogether. God did not intend for human beings to swim. That is for fish and orcas.

• Like 2
whichwayisup
this seems to be how teenage boys act at that age. Very boisterous and rowdy. This is why schools I think should separate the boys and girls in this class. I did not say the class should not happen

Having them swim together would be a good lesson for both girls and boys to learn, be taught to have self control and to respect one another during swim class.

Have you spoken to the teacher about your concerns?

Actually I feel that an all girl class tends to have the girls being jealous and critical of each other at that age.

The boys don't tend to be mean and petty like the girls.

Train your D how to handle any adversity.

It's the real world - some people will be mean in her lifetime - she needs to learn how to handle the mean ones with grace and dignity while standing up for herself.

• Like 1
littleplanet
that's why I am surprised more parents do not seem to have any problem with this. I don't understand it.

Well OP - then it appears you have somehow disconnected yourself somehow, from the standard culture that surrounds you.

I looked through every single response - and no-one agrees with your point of view.

Personally - my gut feeling is that you are over-reacting to a 'danger' that isn't actually there.

Many good points have been made - about how children can benefit positively from mixed classes.

And they actually do. You may not 'like' that they do, but perhaps you need to re-examine your own worries and fears, and not dump them on your daughter.

Rather than rushing off to the school to complain - you might try engaging in conversation with other parents, and get their overview. Perhaps you could even try dropping by and having a chat with the swim teachers. This could prove enlightening.

Co-education need not be immoral.

In fact, it is where many children learn valuable and positive lessons in life - that actually lead to stronger-developed moral codes.

Consider: Every 4 years the Olympics host the best swimmers in the world - men and women both. Were they all cloistered away from each other until they were of 'legal' age?

I'm guessing almost none of them were.

And look where they wind up.........................................

• Like 1
littleplanet
At first I assumed you were the mother, but I after thinking about this, I'd like to ask: Are you the father?

wow.

My spidey sense just tingled in a Lolita / Humbert Humbert moment.

Gotta go clear my head.

But this thread is really weirding me out.

Like one poor kid's life struggling for normal.

Because all this is normal isn't it? Up against..............................what?

An awful lot of questions sure didn't get answered.

• Like 1
I will not allow this thread to die without posting this one more time:

WholesomeWear Styles

It's what the Duggar family girls wear.

Omg those are ugly and horrible! Kids would definitely make fun!

lucy_in_disguise

You're right. Teenage boys are rowdy, and swimming class is a potential venue for harassment. (Though in my experience as a swimmer, there are far better options, like math class or lunch.)

The thing to keep in mind is that kids have great imaginations. Your daughter doesnt need to wear a swimsuit, cap, and goggles, to be leered at. You could probably put her in a burka and it'll still happen.

As others have said, these venues for male-female interaction are prep for the real world. Additionally, swimming is great exercise and an important life skill.

But if it makes you so uncomfortable, I am sure the school could accommodate your paranoia by allowing your child to sit it out. Just tell then ur crazy religious.

• Like 1