What is worst Drinking or Smoking Pot

I am by no means a Doctor, and I'm not cohearsing you to smoke pot......don't do it unless you're willing to pay the price.

But, depending on the source, there aren't no additives that are common in over the counter cigarettes. From what I gathered, these additives are more of a hazard than the actually tobacco.

Either way, if you don't smoke....pot or cigarettes....it is my advice to not even start!

I love these types of threads because they lend themselves to a devil's advocate. There has GOT to be a thread someplace on this board about how vile, unhealthful, etc. cigarettes and cigarette smokers are. Yet, (and I'll go out on a limb here) some of the very same folks who would readily banish smokers and criminalize tobacco advocate legalization of cannibus.

I frankly couldn't care less if it was legalized or not. But be warned- You won't be able to smoke it in a hotel or bar. You won't be able to smoke it on most California beaches. You'll be standing out in the snow, 50-feet from the building entrance in the driving snow in Buffalo, and and women walking with children will cross the street as if you were gonna mug them. I could go on and on.

As for the health aspects, I pulled this response from some some Education site which pretty much sums it up in a nutshell-

I'm always rather suspicious of such claims until I see the source research on which the

claims are based. Nevertheless, I side with those that think smoking marijuana is a bad

idea for the following reason -- phrased in the form of a question: "Can you think of

ANY substance which is harmless to health if you set it afire and then inhale the

smoke?" When I pose the question to my students, I'm greeted with smiles and a nodding

understanding of my point. In general, smoking anything is sure to be detrimental to

good health.

honey2005, do you believe stress is a medical condition? It's a risk factor for heart disease, among other conditions, and marijuana alleviates stress.

There are legal, more healthy ways to alleviate stress.

Honey, are you aware of just how many "medical" conditions marijuana can be used to treat? And how is the government or anyone else subject to DEFINING the difference between necessity and recreation. For some people...it is a necessity to use it for recreational purposes....like relaxing...for me: it is both medically and recreationally necessary.

Like I said above, there are other ways to relax and rid yourself of stress, you don't need to break the law. As for medical purposes, if it's used to help someone who has an illness and is in pain, then I think it's great. I don't think it should be legal for everyone to used whenever they want to, just to alleviate stress or help them relax. Sorry, that's my opinion.

Aren't we all just repeating ourselves here anyway. You can either know the truth, know all the facts, or believe what they want you to beleive. You pick. I made my choice.

I know the truth, I've learned tons of facts from this thread, and I still choose not to approve of its use. There, I've made my choice, too.

It's Illegal!

Things that are illegal are wrong!

It's illegal because it's wrong!

Originally posted by honey2005

There are legal, more healthy ways to alleviate stress.

So only healthy options should be available? Adults arent mature enough to make their own risk assessment?

Like I said above, there are other ways to relax and rid yourself of stress, you don't need to break the law. As for medical purposes, if it's used to help someone who has an illness and is in pain, then I think it's great. I don't think it should be legal for everyone to used whenever they want to, just to alleviate stress or help them relax. Sorry, that's my opinion.

so then why is alcohol illegal. even if the prohibition of alcohol caused more damage than it solved isnt there some sort of moral imperative to prohibit the substance regardless to send a message to the children. After all, isnt that the justification for the War on Drugs.

I know the truth, I've learned tons of facts from this thread, and I still choose not to approve of its use. There, I've made my choice, too.

Ultimately thats the problem...honestly I could care less if you approved of me using it. I approve of myself using it and thats all that should matter. Your 'opinion' of whats acceptable/unnacceptable or healthy/unhealthy should not trump mine.

http://www.marijuanaaddiction.info/history-of-marijuana.htm This is a timeline of cannabis use in human history.

2727 B.C. was the first recorded use of cannabis as a medicine in Chinese pharmacopoeia.

In 70 A.D. Dioscorides mentions the use of Cannabis as a Roman medicament.

It wasn't until 1915 that Cannabis started to be prohibited for nonmedical use in the U.S., which is interesting because at this time the federal government did not have the power to outlaw alcohol or drugs, which is why alcohol prohibition required a constitutional amendment. In fact, intially the federal government used the 1914 Harrison Act to use taxation as a method to curtail drug use. Those who didn't follow the rules were actually subject to punishment by the Treasury Department.

The Federal Bureau of Narcotics, a branch of the Treasury Dept., was established during the beginning of the Great Depression. Anslinger, the head of the department, begin the official war against marijuana and had this to say about the drug:

"There are 100,000 total marijuana smokers in the US, and most are Negroes, Hispanics, Filipinos, and entertainers. Their Satanic music, jazz, and swing, result from marijuana use. This marijuana causes white women to seek sexual relations with Negroes, entertainers, and any others."

"...the primary reason to outlaw marijuana is its effect on the degenerate races."

"Marihuana leads to pacifism and communist brainwashing"

Dr. William C. Woodward, Legislative Council of the American Medical Association, violently opposed the Marijuana Tax Act of 1937, as did the AMA as a whole.

Anslinger was essentially the first drug czar. This is where the illegalization movement began. This is the attitude within the governing body which led to the drug becoming illegal. This attitude was based in ignorance and bigotry. I refuse to believe that marijuana is illegal because the government has our best interests at heart.

Alcohol and tobacco are only legal because they have powerful lobbies to advocate for them.

loveregardless

thank you otter but I already posted this information and more in previous posts and NOTHING makes a bit of difference. I do however think it is cute that people will be presented time and time again with the fact that the drug was illegalized by using hatred, racism and bigotry to brainwash the American people, and it makes no difference to them whatsoever. By the way Honey did you stop taking all over the counter drugs, ingesting caffeine, using any pesticides or herbacides, any synthetic chemicals in detergents and clothing, and all spices and additives to your food yet? If not, your a druggy whether you like it or not! And I hope you took the catnip away from your druggy cat, too. But at least when you get sick from those things you can scream out, "It was legal" and feel better about yourself. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by loveregardless

thank you otter but I already posted this information and more in previous posts and NOTHING makes a bit of difference. I do however think it is cute that people will be presented time and time again with the fact that the drug was illegalized by using hatred, racism and bigotry to brainwash the American people, and it makes no difference to them whatsoever. By the way Honey did you stop taking all over the counter drugs, ingesting caffeine, using any pesticides or herbacides, any synthetic chemicals in detergents and clothing, and all spices and additives to your food yet? If not, your a druggy whether you like it or not! And I hope you took the catnip away from your druggy cat, too. But at least when you get sick from those things you can scream out, "It was legal" and feel better about yourself. :rolleyes:

Marijuana causes white women to seek sexual relations with negros and other degenerate races, love!!! Watch out, you could be possessed with the urge to prostitute yourself right now!!!!!

loveregardless

What white woman? Me? I AM a degenerate race already!:lmao: Me and my degenerate criminal brothers and sisters, with no sense of morals, ethics or decency, are simply hallucinating to often to escape from its clutches! Muahhh! That's what I'm going to be for Haloween, degenerate marijuana smoker-the caped rebellious slave!

Originally posted by loveregardless

What white woman? Me? I AM a degenerate race already!:lmao: Me and my degenerate criminal brothers and sisters, with no sense of morals, ethics or decency, are simply hallucinating to often to escape from its clutches! Muahhh! That's what I'm going to be for Haloween, degenerate marijuana smoker-the caped rebellious slave!

Oooh, you'll love this quote from our dear Nazi Mr. Anslinger,

"Reefer makes darkies think they're as good as white men."

egads...this was in the documents submitted to the committee considering the Marijuana Tax Act.

also, from the San Francisco Examiner...

"By the tons it is coming into this country -- the deadly, dreadful poison that racks and tears not only the body, but the very heart and soul of every human being who once becomes a slave to it in any of its cruel and devastating forms.... Marihuana is a short cut to the insane asylum. Smoke marihuana cigarettes for a month and what was once your brain will be nothing but a storehouse of horrid specters. Hasheesh makes a murderer who kills for the love of killing out of the mildest mannered man who ever laughed at the idea that any habit could ever get him...."

So, I've been browsing various insance asylums. Wanna be committed to a cushy one, ya know. Apparently my brain has been a storehouse for horrid spectors for the entirty of my undergraduate career. Oh, the humanity!

loveregardless

oh but he changed his mind not to long after that, and then insisted upon the EXACT opposite. Not only were they no longer murders, but dammit, those poor pot smoking soldiers didn't wanna murder at all!

So, I've been browsing various insance asylums. Wanna be committed to a cushy one, ya know. Apparently my brain has been a storehouse for horrid spectors for the entirty of my undergraduate career. Oh, the humanity!

Tell me about it! And meanwhile I was convinced this whole time that I was happier and healthier, more intuitive and open minded than I ever was before. Perhaps it was the grips of insanity confusing my perception of reality. Perhaps this is all been one big three year long hallucination. Who are you anyway? Where am I? What's happening to me!? Ahh....I can't make sense of it all. :lmao:

So only healthy options should be available? Adults arent mature enough to make their own risk assessment?

I think only legal options should be available.

honestly I could care less if you approved of me using it

Honestly I could care less if you dislike that fact that I think marijuana should remain illegal.

Your 'opinion' of whats acceptable/unnacceptable or healthy/unhealthy should not trump mine.

Sorry, but my 'opinion' wasn't what made it illegal. I'm just agreeing with the law. You complaining about my opinion isn't going to change the law.

I do however think it is cute that people will be presented time and time again with the fact that the drug was illegalized by using hatred, racism and bigotry to brainwash the American people, and it makes no difference to them whatsoever

Just because you want me to think it's ok doesn't mean I will.

By the way Honey did you stop taking all over the counter drugs, ingesting caffeine, using any pesticides or herbacides, any synthetic chemicals in detergents and clothing, and all spices and additives to your food yet? If not, your a druggy whether you like it or not!

Hmm...what's this thread on again? Oh yeah, which is worse, marijuana or alcohol. I don't remember caffeine or spices being on the list.

And I hope you took the catnip away from your druggy cat, too.

My druggy cat doesn't play with catnip.

And I hope you took the catnip away from your druggy cat, too. But at least when you get sick from those things you can scream out, "It was legal" and feel better about yourself.

What I find cute is that you try to make me seem like a bad person because I think what you're doing is wrong. I'm entitled to my opinion. Just because you think it's ok to use marijuana doesn't mean I do. I'm not trying to make you stop, I just replied to the topic of the thread. Stop trying to make me feel like my views are wrong, I'm not doing that to you.

:rolleyes:

loveregardless

I'm so sorry. Your views are right...and I was completely off base in comparing other drugs to these drugs. :rolleyes:

And I'm glad you got your druggy cat off the catnip before he wound up in rehab! :laugh:

BTW, sarcasm and joking has been used quite fraglantly in this thred today, if you hadn't noticed. I'm not trying to do anything to you or make you think anything. Only to show you that your "views" are biased and limited.

And I'm glad you got your druggy cat off the catnip before he wound up in rehab!

She does have a catnip bug thing, she just doesn't like to play with it :confused:. She would rather climb in plastic bags; she's easily amused.

I'm not trying to do anything to you or make you think anything. Only to show you that your "views" are biased and limited.

I don't think my views are biased and limited. I've read all of the links and facts you guys have posts and I'm not saying that information is untrue. I believe what you all have told me, but I still don't think it's ok to do, especially not for me. I'm not going to try to change your habits or your beliefs, but I do think I am entitled to my own, and just because I hold those beliefs doesn't make me biased or brainwashed.

Originally posted by honey2005

I believe what you all have told me, but I still don't think it's ok to do, especially not for me. I'm not going to try to change your habits or your beliefs, but I do think I am entitled to my own, and just because I hold those beliefs doesn't make me biased or brainwashed.

I don't think anyone is trying to force you to do drugs or smoke pot. There are lots of people who don't use it who thinks it's stupid that pot is illegal. My husband's whole family, for instance...all church-going, pillars of the community, my father-in-law is a youth minister. They just realize how stupid the whole thing is, how random.

I posted Anslinger's comments to hopefully allow you to see that the whole process of criminalizing marijuana was NOT based in the best interests of the public. It was based in ignorance, bigotry, and hysteria.

You don't have to smoke pot, or even approve of its use, to realize that the reasons this drug is illegal are based in absurdities. The constitution had to be ammended to MAKE it illegal. I am personally completely against drinking alcohol. My Dad was an alcoholic for 12 years, in 2003 there were nearly 60,000 traffic fatalities associated with alcohol impairment. I have personally witnessed people whose lives were destroyed by alcohol, who were left with permanent health problems. But I would never suggest that alcohol should be illegal.

I believe what you all have told me, but I still don't think it's ok to do, especially not for me. I'm not going to try to change your habits or your beliefs, but I do think I am entitled to my own, and just because I hold those beliefs doesn't make me biased or brainwashed.

My point was that just because I don't see things the way you do doesn't mean I'm brainwashed.

loveregardless

if you continue to say that you agree that it should be ilegal, then it is due to brainwashing. Whether you see it that way or not. I don't think anyone wants you to start smoking pot honey, that's not the point. The point is that you still say it should be legal and it's wrong as apposed to simply saying, "I just don't want to do it or choose it for myself."

Marijuana is illegal, and illegal things are wrong! ; I don't do things that are wrong! .: Marijuana should stay illegal (because it's wrong!)

if you continue to say that you agree that it should be ilegal, then it is due to brainwashing.

Because everyone who doesn't agree with you or see things your way is brainwashed.

loveregardless

what I am saying is that the reason why Americans think it is wrong is because they have been brainwashed to think so. That's all I'm saying.

• 2 weeks later...

well said.

Originally posted by dyermaker

Morality, like legality, is also subjective and arbitrary. Explain how marijuana use is immoral?

Uh, no. You wouldn't have to make drugs in your kitchen or basement, because there would be no illicit drug trafficking.

The struggle of Rosa Parks and the struggle of legalization proponents share many commonalities. They're both fighting for personal liberty.

Rosa Parks protested the law by breaking it.

You *did* say, more than once, that breaking the law was wrong. You've now made it an issue of morality, which is sickening.

You can't say it's wrong because it's dangerous, because plenty of other things are dangerous and still legal.

You can't say it's wrong because it's illegal, because plenty of other things are illegal, but not wrong.

At the very least, the evidence is inconclusive.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5758223/

Until you've had someone in your family suffer from severe alcohol abuse, I don't think you can say that one drug or another effects relationships more or less.

The culprit isn't the chemical, it's the addiction, and whether or not we choose a path of addiction should either be:

1. The government's choice; In which case cigarettes and alcohol should be illegal.

2. Our choice; In which case we should be able to put whatever we want into ourselves.

You can't be inconsistent, it makes no sense.

• 2 weeks later...

For about the last 9.5 to 10 years I've been a heavy pot smoker :o I've also experimented with just about every other substance under the sun with the exception of a few (due to being heavily involved in the club/nightlife/DJ scene). This past year I've been enrolled in school for audio engineering (a heavily technical school) but I still continued to smoke on practically a daily basis--though haven't done anything harder in quite awhile....I thought it would be okay to do this but damn, was I wrong! All these years of smoking really clouded my brain and my memory is pretty messed up. At work, I am completely absent minded which makes it difficult to get things done and makes me look pretty silly sometimes. I decided to quit smoking about 6 weeks ago because on top of it effecting my memory which made me do poorly in school and at work, it ultimately made me depressed, and started to mess with my DJing as far as mixing skills are concerned...which is kinda weird cause when I first started off DJing, smoking and spinning were my favourite things to do. Of course now that I don't smoke, when I mix, my skills are much improved...I guess you just can't do something like that due to slower reaction time. All in all, I am much happier being sober--and wouldn't you know it my memory is starting to improve just a bit :D

This is just from a personal point of view. I can't do what I love when I'm stoned and so I choose not to be. And I don't like the lazy, all too complacent feeling that I get from constantly smoking either.

But I don't think that it should be illegal. I think that should be a personal choice if you want to smoke or not. If Americans were not so strict with things such as drugs and alcohol we would have a better society, IMO... I think we should take a cue from European nations that aren't so rigid in their beliefs of drugs (alcohol included in the taboo) being bad.

Originally posted by smoe in a box

if you have had a heart surgery but doing extremely well now and u smoked pot will anything happen to you?

I've heard that you can get irregular heartbeat when you're high. I have a heart valve defect (heart murmur) and I used to get palpitations when I was stoned, occassionally. I had medication to take, though.