Why are there more men than women in gyms? Are they lazier?

• Author

Lmao @ globo-gym. Is this Dodgeball the movie?

What you got there is a type of body that doesn't deposit much fat on the ass.

So that's muscle.

I could be wrong, but that's how it felt.

Felt as in, i was with such a girl and i can assure you, doggy style was awesome.

She looks better than many 20yr olds.

The midsection is easily corrected too.

Ewww...gross no. Dont want a flabby flat butt. Yes its muscle...but its still not toned in the least.

I've never been fat but started exercise in my early 30s when I noticed I was putting more weight on my belly and it looked awful. I started lifting and boxing last year and the main drive behind that was job related (part-time police job) but I was worried that men wouldn't like me that much if I got a bit 'butch'. I didn't think I would get huge, no. I knew I'd notice any sort of size difference before it got out of hand but I had thought men would find broader shoulders or visible tone off-putting but it hasn't been the case at all. Maybe because I also like fit/athletic guys and I think they appreciate the effort I've been putting in. My current interest finds my strength and enjoyment of boxing sexy.

So after coming out the other side, I agree with the original post. I'm not a fan of Crossfit either but there is absolutely no encouragement for women to explore their physical side. I love it. Wish I had known about this when I was 15 years younger - though female boxing then was in its infancy.

If anything, more shoulder will make your waist look tinier in conjunction with your hips. More hourglass curvy. I dont mind a girl with a bit of shoulder strength.
Squat the right way and you will have a huge booty. It's not genetics, its basic human movement.

Shape is indeed somewhat genetic, but you will always develop goodlooking glutes when you squat. It's just that squatting right doesn't come easy to some of us (including myself, it took me ages).

I agree.

But also, people who cant squat properly, or who have back issues like me and cant squat at all, can always use machines. Machines like the hack squat, lying squat machine, the leg press, and even doing smith machine squats, can build great glutes. I see women in the gym all the time with amazing lower bodies who dont really do free weight squats.

A huge man's booty. What makes it look like a woman's booty is the fat.

You guys might prefer extremely toned women's butts, but we women know that most men don't.

Um...you speak of something you do not know imo.

Most fitness models, and plenty of celebs who guys admire, dont have a huge amount of body fat percentage. And even the women who compete in stage competitions for figure, and have very little body fat, still have great butts.

So its not really just fat that gives a butt shape. Guys have fat in their butts too ya know. Everyone does, but women

Edited by kaylan
  • Author

Also Tara,

Cardio alone burns less fat than solely doing weight training alone. So doing both or weight training on its own is superior to burning fat. This is because lifitng weights increases your metabolism and requires more calories for muscle building as well.

I looove free weights. I dont even know how to use machines. A personal trainer friend told me to never use machines unless I have injuries and I took it to heart.

I will admit, I am terrified of going to the free weights room. I use between 12-25 dumbbells for my exercises so Im not afraid of seeming like a wuss, but I dont want any male attention at the gym

Free weights are generally always the best at building muscle and allow your body to move through its natural movement archs. However, many machines serve a good purpose, and I use several in my workouts....especially on back and leg days.

Dont be afraid to hit the free weight area. A few gals do just fine in my gym and no one says anything. Sure the subtly guys check them out...but everyone checks out everyone at the gym. Its nothing over the top though.

I don't know if the mods will let me away with posting the following link, but this guy just explains how I feel about this so brilliantly. That the role model of "ideal female form" that the fitness industry pushes compromises more on softness than a lot of women may be happy with- though he's guilty of presenting a couple of improbable supermodel type figures as what women do want.

The Essential Guide To Female Training For A Sexy Feminine Physique | FitMole

To me, Jennifer Aniston does a great job of maintaining a balance between slimness, good tone and feminine softnesswhich is what he's talking about.

I thought this was a crap blog. He basically is just a typical male pushing his own idea of what femininity is supposed to be. And hes using a picture of Jamie Eason in her on-season form, while shes hardcore flexing no doubt.

When he said that women only have 15 to 20% less testosterone than men, I stopped reading right there and he lost ALL credibility. Women have only a fraction of the testosterone men have. This guy doesnt know his stuff at all.

If women had 80% of male testosterone levels, theyd be looking like female body builders without using any steroids at all.

Don't get me wrong: I've been lifting weights for 30 years and think it's great. Weight lifting is the closest thing we've found to a fountain of youth and people who think running 30-40 miles a week makes them "in shape" make me shake my head in bewilderment. But I don't think the way to get people to change is to bully and berate them. I'm kind of like Emilia: I let people do their own thing. But if someone looks bewildered or curious, I'll offer to help them get started and they're usually appreciative.

To me, though, the important thing about any exercise program is that it improves your health; it's not about appearance. So there is no one single "right" way to exercise because it depends on your age, gender, health, fitness level, goals, etc. I exercise very differently at 50 than I did at 20. It's not that either way is right or wrong, I'm a different person now than I was then, so my exercise program had to change, too.

Thats the thing...i hate seeing people sick, dibilitated or aging badly...so Ima tell them the skinny. Best for them to hear it then never hear it at all.

If they wanna be stubborn despite my advice, then thats on them. But at least I tried to push people to be the best they can be. Especially women...considering all the bs fed to them...I want to see you gals fit and healthy.

Edited by kaylan

Hate, hate, hate gyms with a passion. Stopped going to them, many years ago. Not only do they cause the germaphobe hairs on my back to stand up but I hate the way people (men and women) stare and posture. If you're here to work out, then work out. Otherwise, f*ck off.

I've been working out from home for years, doing pilates, yoga, walking, stairs and cardio. Running after my hyperactive toddler also takes energy. No problems with body fat where the thought of being ripped, has never been my style or preference. Ongoing maintenance, eating reasonably healthy (no junk, fast food or sodas) with reasonable portions and working out around five days a week.

• Like 3

Most fitness models, and plenty of celebs who guys admire, dont have a huge amount of body fat percentage. And even the women who compete in stage competitions for figure, and have very little body fat, still have great butts.

So its not really just fat that gives a butt shape. Guys have fat in their butts too ya know. Everyone does, but women

You assume that what you prefer is what most men prefer.

Have you heard of waist-hip ratio? A good hip-waist ratio is what most men prefer.

Personally, I have low body fat, but am lucky enough to store most of what I have in my butt :D

Edited by xxoo
  • Like 1
  • Author
You assume that what you prefer is what most men prefer.

Have you heard of waist-hip ratio? A good hip-waist ratio is what most men prefer.

Personally, I have low body fat, but am lucky enough to store most of what I have in my butt :D

What are you talking about? I never said men didnt like a good wasit to hip ratio.

You said a womens butt shape was mostly about fat...and i told you why you were wrong...and that firm muscle provides most of a good butt. I wasnt talking about waist hip ratio at all. Way to try and prove your point with something unrelated

• Author

Typo here. the end should say "everyone does, not just women"

Thats the thing...i hate seeing people sick, dibilitated or aging badly...so Ima tell them the skinny. Best for them to hear it then never hear it at all.

If they wanna be stubborn despite my advice, then thats on them. But at least I tried to push people to be the best they can be. Especially women...considering all the bs fed to them...I want to see you gals fit and healthy.

Kaylan, people won't crumble to dust like terrified vampires in front of the morning sun if they make different exercise choices to the ones you think they should follow. The people you should really worry about are those who don't take any interest in exercise at all.

While the bodybuilding community is keen to encourage women to start thinking about building their strength, strength training for women isn't something new. Fitness conscious men and women have, for years, followed conditioning plans that involve building strength using their own bodies as resistance rather than going to gyms.

I like callanetics because they work the muscles extremely hard when done properly. Yoga, in particular, has many fans for some sound reasons - promoting strength, grace, balance and in particular suppleness well into old age. Here is a 93 year old woman who has managed to struggle along with her preferred form of body conditioning.

And an 84 year old doing her thing

Yoga Super Gran Full of Amazing Vitality at 84 - YouTube

They might not be sexy hardbodies, but I think people of any age would be delighted with that kind of flexibility. To have such a combination of grace, strength and ease of movement at that stage in life is absolutely wonderful.

I'm not disputing benefits to weight training, but hearing there are perfectly valid reasons for some women to prefer devoting their time to other forms of body conditioning. I can spend ten minutes or so in the gym incorporating weights into my stretching time, but weightlifting die-hards would only berate me for not making it an hour spent doing reps until I'm exhausted. I can hear it already "worse than nothing at all".

Callanetics can produce outstanding results. Yoga in particular is something of an art form as well as an approach to body conditioning that promotes great balance and flexibility....and I like the harmonious philosophy surrounding these approaches. There's more to exercise than just what it achieves for your body. Do what you actually enjoy doing and feel an affinity with, should be one of the golden rules in exercise, if your psychological as well as physical health is to benefit - and, additionally, if you're to keep at it.

Edited by Taramere
  • Like 1

You sit in the gym all day, if that's what you like.

I'll be hiking in the woods with my fiance until we find a good secluded spot for some freaky outdoor sex.

On our death bed, we'll tally our scores and see who created the best memories.

• Like 2
What are you talking about? I never said men didnt like a good wasit to hip ratio.

You said a womens butt shape was mostly about fat...and i told you why you were wrong...and that firm muscle provides most of a good butt. I wasnt talking about waist hip ratio at all. Way to try and prove your point with something unrelated

Look up Jamie Eason's measurements. She doesn't have a "good" waist-hip ration imo, or according to the "standards".

That isn't a criticism of her. Her body is as she wants it, and that is great! She should strive for what she wants. But most men prefer a better waist-hip ratio, like mine.

I said fat is vital to a good shape on a woman's butt, not that it is "mostly" fat. IMO, there should be a difference between a woman's butt and a man's. YMMV.

If I could pick a body it would be Kelly Brook's Kelly Brook - The Official Website

She is the only woman on this planet I envy. She is completely natural and is a slim version of Kim Kardashian. Since most of us can't grow a body like that, we just have to make the best of what we have. In my case it's fit, toned and athletic but more so than Jennifer Aniston. I don't really rate her looks to be honest, she looks weak to me. Kelly is a big girl. I'm small but at least look strong. Never had any interest in body building but I suppose I highly rate looking strong and capable.

If anything, more shoulder will make your waist look tinier in conjunction with your hips. More hourglass curvy. I dont mind a girl with a bit of shoulder strength.

Yes this is what I've found overall, with stronger shoulders and back my waist looks smaller, I have a lower body fat % than ever before but I also look curvier if that makes sense. Funny how the body works.

Look up Jamie Eason's measurements. She doesn't have a "good" waist-hip ration imo, or according to the "standards".

That isn't a criticism of her. Her body is as she wants it, and that is great! She should strive for what she wants. But most men prefer a better waist-hip ratio, like mine.

I said fat is vital to a good shape on a woman's butt, not that it is "mostly" fat. IMO, there should be a difference between a woman's butt and a man's. YMMV.

I'm pretty sure I prefer Jamie Eason over you. Sorry, honey.

Jamie Eason

As for you, kaylan, I know you hated how I said you shouldn't leg press, but squat, especially with a back problem. I notice you like Jamie Eason. Look at her program..

And natural boobs! :bunny:

Yeah.. I don't like artificial boobs, I must admit. But Eason had breast cancer, so I suppose it is somewhat justified.

• Like 1

No offense, but if someone is sick, debilitated, or aging badly, they need to hear from a medical professional, not some guy at the gym.

It's nice to have good intentions and all, but unless you're a medical professional (physician, physical therapist) or a trained, certified fitness expert, you shouldn't be trying to guilt other people into doing what you think they should be doing and getting irritated when they don't. How much of this have you actually studied formally? How much have you learned from reading on the internet instead? What gives you the right to lecture other people?

• Author
You sit in the gym all day, if that's what you like.

I'll be hiking in the woods with my fiance until we find a good secluded spot for some freaky outdoor sex.

On our death bed, we'll tally our scores and see who created the best memories.

All day? 90 miutes actually. And then ill be living a more active life longer and able to tally more memories...thank you very much.

Would you like me to name fitness girls with a better hip to waist ratio? Jamies natural shape is why she doesnt have big hip to waist ratio

And no...firm muscle tone is the most vital thing to a great ass. Not giggly fat.

Edited by kaylan
All day? 90 miutes actually. And then ill be living a more active life longer and able to tally more memories...thank you very much.

Oh, that's it? 90 minutes? I've been known to hike for 5-6 hours at a time. Guess that means I actually exercise more than you. *shrugs. You must be lazy.

And no...firm muscle tone is the most vital thing to a great ass. Not giggly fat.

Kaylan, understand that I say this as a woman already "too toned" for many men.......

Many, many men LOVE a jiggly ass.

• Author
Oh, that's it? 90 minutes? I've been known to hike for 5-6 hours at a time. Guess that means I actually exercise more than you. *shrugs. You must be lazy.

Lmao...thats just the gym and doesnt include the running, soccer, and basketball i do during the week. Nvm the mountain hikes when the weather is warm.

Why are women like you getting butt hurt that I noticed, as well as studies, that women exercise less than dudes? I merely asked why this is. And Im not just talking about the gym either. My posts have said this.

Kaylan, understand that I say this as a woman already "too toned" for many men.......

Many, many men LOVE a jiggly ass.

Most guys I know, from different walks of life, prefer firm and bubbly, over jiggly fat...which usually creates cottage cheese butt too lol

To each their own though.

Edited by kaylan

Why are women like you getting butt hurt that I noticed, as well as studies, that women exercise less than dudes?

First of all, I refuse to use the term 'butt hurt' seriously in a conversation among adults. I am not 13 years old, so I try to use vocabulary that reflects my age and intelligence level.

I assume you mean 'defensive.'

And who says I'm defensive? I mean, you're the one who doesn't exercise as much as me. I come out on top in the conversation. You assume people who exercise less than you are lazy. Well, it's my term to assume the same thing about you.

Now, now. No need to get defensive Kaylan. I'm sure you'll find a woman who appreciates you someday, despite the fact that you seem to do the bare 90 minute minimum when it comes to working out.

:rolleyes:

• Author
First of all, I refuse to use the term 'butt hurt' seriously in a conversation among adults. I am not 13 years old, so I try to use vocabulary that reflects my age and intelligence level.

I assume you mean 'defensive.'

And who says I'm defensive? I mean, you're the one who doesn't exercise as much as me. I come out on top in the conversation. You assume people who exercise less than you are lazy. Well, it's my term to assume the same thing about you.

Now, now. No need to get defensive Kaylan. I'm sure you'll find a woman who appreciates you someday, despite the fact that you seem to do the bare 90 minute minimum when it comes to working out.

:rolleyes:

Lmao. Honey Im not defensive. I merely told you how wrong you are to think my little bit of gym time is the bulk of my physical activity.

I already know Im way more active than you and that youd be hard pressed to keep up with my active schedule. But do go on sweetheart lol

Lmao. Honey Im not defensive. I merely told you how wrong you are to think my little bit of gym time is the bulk of my physical activity.

I already know Im way more active than you and that youd be hard pressed to keep up with my active schedule. But do go on sweetheart lol

Says the guy who spends significantly longer in front of his computer posting on LS......