Why are there more men than women in gyms? Are they lazier?

Most women dont know this. Id say 90% of women Ive talked to about lifting automatically say "I dont wanna get bulky"...or if I give them advice when their routine isnt working for them...they say "nah ill stick to this...i dont wanna get all big"

But most girls wouldnt know this. They think theyll turn into an elite looking athlete with brawny muscles. My chick friends who workout even say all their gfs think like this. Its very deeply ingrained into the female fitness community.All Im saying is resistance training is great for women, and while bodyweight exercises can be good...they only do so much...and it wouldnt hurt a girl to drop the 3lb dumbbells and use something heavier.

If she is doing bodyweight stuff, theres no reason for her to use weights so much lighter than her body.

I know it's currently bon ton to tell women that they won't beef up when they lift, but honestly, it's just not always true.

My girlfriend used to be an elite level gymnast. I'm not sure if you're familiar with their training, but most of it is bodyweight only. When I look at pictures of her when she was still training at that level (I didn't know her then), she looks very very muscular. Still feminine, but I can see why she appreciates her far more girly look of today.

Which brings me to my point: she still trains pretty much every day, but never in a gym. I think a lot of women do the same. Deadlifts and squats won't make all women huge, but they will make some a lot bigger. It makes sense that they shy away from them.

Not to mention just how intimidating they are..

Ruby Slippers

A lot of good points here.

I was a competitive athlete all through school (tennis), and I played for hours and hours every day, year round. Though I'm not that active these days, I'm still quite active and fit. When I'm maintaining the effort, I have a very nice body :cool:

Though I've never been ripped or overly muscular, it's amazing how some men respond to a little bit of muscle tone on a girl. At least HALF of men act threatened by the fact that I'm fit and toned. Even if they are WAY stronger than I am!! It's like it's shocking to them that a chick could have some real muscle tone and strength. It doesn't mean I'm some anomaly in nature - it just means I have worked to develop my fitness and strength, which is something that almost anyone can do, if they just do it.

Some men need to relax on this. If the **** ever hits the fan, a strong, fit girl can help save the day right alongside you better than a delicate flower could. Also, fit girls can go longer and do more in bed ;)

• Like 1
Huh?

A good diet might mean you aren't fat. A good diet won't give you a hot body.

Women need to work out more than men because men lose weight and build muscle easier.

On a woman, assuming you don't have messed up genes, a good diet means you will have a hot body.

Working out helps, but it's not nearly as critical on a woman as on a man because a lot of men don't like muscular women.

• Author
I know it's currently bon ton to tell women that they won't beef up when they lift, but honestly, it's just not always true.

My girlfriend used to be an elite level gymnast. I'm not sure if you're familiar with their training, but most of it is bodyweight only. When I look at pictures of her when she was still training at that level (I didn't know her then), she looks very very muscular. Still feminine, but I can see why she appreciates her far more girly look of today.

Which brings me to my point: she still trains pretty much every day, but never in a gym. I think a lot of women do the same. Deadlifts and squats won't make all women huge, but they will make some a lot bigger. It makes sense that they shy away from them.

Not to mention just how intimidating they are..

Yes "some" women may look more muscular than other women, but theyll never really be on par with a man because girls dont have the hormones for that.

All in all, the girls with the best bodies (especially low bodies) at my gym, are the girls who push heavy weight. Especially when it comes to squats and leg press. Guys admire their hard work and all dat booty they got.

Shame cardio bunnies never see the light.

A lot of good points here.

I was a competitive athlete all through school (tennis), and I played for hours and hours every day, year round. Though I'm not that active these days, I'm still quite active and fit. When I'm maintaining the effort, I have a very nice body :cool:

Though I've never been ripped or overly muscular, it's amazing how some men respond to a little bit of muscle tone on a girl. At least HALF of men act threatened by the fact that I'm fit and toned. Even if they are WAY stronger than I am!! It's like it's shocking to them that a chick could have some real muscle tone and strength. It doesn't mean I'm some anomaly in nature - it just means I have worked to develop my fitness and strength, which is something that almost anyone can do, if they just do it.

Some men need to relax on this. If the **** ever hits the fan, a strong, fit girl can help save the day right alongside you better than a delicate flower could. Also, fit girls can go longer and do more in bed ;)

Honey Id ravage that athletic body of yours.

The thing I love about the girl I last was seeing was she had awesome bone structure. Very strong and wide in the right areas, but still very feminine. If she had the confidence and commitment to the gym that I knew she wanted to have, shed have been a stone cold knock out. Not to say she wasnt sexy, but she would have knocked so many girls out of the park if she truly worked at it.

Not to mention the few times we went to the gym, she did hold her own. I love a chick who can hold her own =). Dude who get intimidated by in shape athletic women are clearly dudes who arent comfortable in their own masculinity. Guess Im different from most dudes. I appreciate a gal whos healthy, fit, and can hold her own. Sure I still wanna be able to protect my lady and all that, but I wouldnt want her to be someone who couldnt take care of herself or keep up with me in outdoorsy activities.

Edited by kaylan
On a woman, assuming you don't have messed up genes, a good diet means you will have a hot body.

Working out helps, but it's not nearly as critical on a woman as on a man because a lot of men don't like muscular women.

I don't agree. A good diet for a man or woman will mean you have an average body. Average body is good enough for a man because most women don't care. Average body on a woman isn't generally what men are drooling over.

First let me address the bold. Do you not know how men work? We can see the body and tell shes hot through an outline. The hot body girl will be more attractive despite her clothing...because shes got the one up on the no body girl whos dolled up. Guys find hot chicks in plain or frumpy clothing attractive ALL the time. The women with the hotter body will win almost all the time.

Women can have a body that’s attractive to men without working out. That's all I was trying to say here. People have always assumed I work out regularly or am athletic because of my build. This includes my last ex who was a certified physical trainer. He was unpleasantly surprised to realize that I never exercised after a few months of being together.

And women with no build or body who doll up can and do mislead men into thinking they're fitter than they are ALL THE TIME. So the fit woman who does not dress up has competition and can lose in the looks department from a purely visual standpoint. What do you think jeans with butt inserts, and push-up bras or body tape, and control top camis, and facial contour makeup techniques are for? You really think a woman who knows how to use these tools properly can't fool a guy into thinking she's well proportioned or has a better body than she's actually got? :-/ Women do it every day. So unless you do endurance testing as part of an initial date you cannot say with certainty if a girl works out or if her fit physique is attributable to applied exercise routines.

And no its not "evolution". Its very modern in our society that weak and frail women are deemed attractive. This didnt start until Twiggy came out back in the 60s. Before then women like Marilyn Monroe were all you ever saw pushed as sexy. And trust me, men respond a lot more to Marilyn Monroe, or a gym goer like Jessica Biel, then any plain chick who doesnt take care of her body. So, if you want to talk about evolution or nature...our nature dictates that we are most attracted to top specimens of our species. And top specimens tend to be toned and shaped well, which is why both men and women drool over fitness models. Its a sexy look that our evolution has apparently hard wired us to be greatly attracted to, as those models have many inherently sexy traits.

How many household activities have become automated or simplified since the 60's because of technology or the shift to service-oriented business? Families can pay someone to do their shopping, do their cooking, do their laundry, pick up and care for their kids. Women today do not have to perform as much physically intensive labor as they did 50 years ago. So the necessity of a sturdy build in a woman has waned dramatically as a result, from the social/cultural perspective. The attractiveness of a woman with a build will not wane from a biological perspective - a sturdier woman is more likely to be able to bear multiple children. The result is that you’ve got two different images of what’s necessary for “attractiveness” at play here. Some men choose a balance of both, some choose one or the other. For you, the biological driver is very influential, as it is for a lot of men (probably the majority). However, there are men don’t operate on that as a deciding factor, especially if they don’t want children. So women who do not physically seem the best prospect for child-bearing are still considered just as or more attractive than physically fit women by men who operate this way.

The image of the nuclear family is no longer the face of American society. People recognize and embrace that they don’t have to have children. So if they don’t need physical labor for day to day living and they may not bear children……why is being physically fit so important? The only other reason for most people is to live longer and be able to enjoy life more as they age.

Regarding the rest of the post thats not bolded, I wasnt solely talking about being attractive.

I was talking about who worries about appearance.

OK, I’ll amend my post to say that men and women care about different aspects of appearance then. Because men do care if a woman’s hot, and women do care if they look pretty. These are two different aspects of appearance.

And in general, this thread was about women actually becoming more knowledgeable about fitness and health. Simple being thin through solely cardio, crash diets, and many "fitness" regimens that target women, do not promote overall good health.

Being fit is great for health and great for an always aging body. Read this. This is why its important for women to start exercising more and actually shun some of the BS society feeds them regarding how they should look. Being weak and frail, especially as you age, wont help.

It’s safe to say that the typical 20 year old woman isn’t thinking today about how well she can get around when she’s 50 or hoping she can live to be 80. Most young folk aren’t thinking that far in advance. And a 20-something woman can get by without working out well into their 30’s if she lives a typical American lifestyle and:

1) Still be considered attractive by most men,

2) Be unimpeded in day to day life as an American, assuming she works a sedentary full time job as most Americans do

• Author

No one is talking about brawny muscles here. Women like Jamie Eason lift heavy weight year round and arent all muscle bound and stuff. Women are genetically made for lots of muscles.

I dont know ANY guy who would turn this down. And this chick bodybuilds basically.

http://www.teamcanefitness.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Jamie-Eason.jpg

Yes parts of her are "muscular" but consider the fact that shes a)flexing for a photo, and b) when shes not in offseason, she keeps her body fat down quite a bit. So shes even softer in off-season despite all that great firmness she has. This all being said, I dont know a guy who would say she doesnt look sexy even with her musculature.

I don't agree. A good diet for a man or woman will mean you have an average body. Average body is good enough for a man because most women don't care. Average body on a woman isn't generally what men are drooling over.

Youre kidding right? Women drool over hot body guys ALL the time.

And plenty of guys are fine and turned on by average bodies. Most people are average, so they are content with an average partner.

Youre kidding right? Women drool over hot body guys ALL the time.

And plenty of guys are fine and turned on by average bodies. Most people are average, so they are content with an average partner.

They might admire hot bodies, but they are more than willing to date a guy who's never seen the inside of a gym. And I'm talking about very attractive, fit women here.

• Like 1
Another thing I've noticed is that a lot of guys my age seem to think it's totally fine to condescendingly lecture anyone who doesn't look like they work out a lot as if they were some sort of expert on health and fitness. Just because they go to the gym 4 times a week and read half a book once about some fad that promoted a ton of misinformation. It's incredibly annoying and one of the reasons why I don't bother talking about this stuff.

I was fortunate to have had a relationship with a physical trainer.

Any exercise will get a person results eventually, but to be an expert on fitness and know what moves and routines will give you the best workout and visible results? That is not innate knowledge for anyone. You do need to study anatomy and kinesiology to understand how the body works and how to maximize your effort.

I know more than my current bf about fitness, and it is super irritating when he gets a condescending tone talking to me about diet and exercise. He always assumes he knows more than me. Sometimes he's right, but sometimes he's wrong, and he has yet to school me on something I didn't already know. I know this because I was with someone who actually trains people for a living and studied this stuff, and proper fitness is not something you just "pick up." It takes concentrated study or a long period of trial and error.

• Like 1
Ive wondered this. Any gym Ive been to...any my friends have been to...and with most people you talk to...it seems men work out a lot more than women. And Ive been wondering why this is. Ive seen articles talking about this issues...small studies too...and some cite a womans schedule as demanding. You know..kids..housework..career...etc.

But how does this apply to young women without kids or a house to maintain. And how does this apply to those couples who equally split child and hous care.

Waiiiitasecond. Are you telling me there are couples out there that equally split child care and household chores? I demand to meet these fictional characters.

Anyways, go to a yoga or pilates class. Where are all the guys surreptitiously farting during downdog and forward bends??

I dont know ANY guy who would turn this down. And this chick bodybuilds basically.

http://www.teamcanefitness.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Jamie-Eason.jpg

Yes parts of her are "muscular" but consider the fact that shes a)flexing for a photo, and b) when shes not in offseason, she keeps her body fat down quite a bit. So shes even softer in off-season despite all that great firmness she has. This all being said, I dont know a guy who would say she doesnt look sexy even with her musculature.

Yeah, no. That's too masculine for a LOT of men.

Some men say I don't have enough curves because my fat percentage is low, and I have a higher waist-hip ratio that than.

The preferences of men who lift are probably not the same as the preferences of men who keep fit in other ways.

Edited by xxoo
Yes "some" women may look more muscular than other women, but theyll never really be on par with a man because girls dont have the hormones for that.

All in all, the girls with the best bodies (especially low bodies) at my gym, are the girls who push heavy weight. Especially when it comes to squats and leg press. Guys admire their hard work and all dat booty they got.

Shame cardio bunnies never see the light.

This is one reason I've wanted to get back to it, although I also have a problem with my arm since a car accident last year. I loved the leg press (only it was on a high-step, not a machine). I loved the way working with weights relaxed me - it helped me more than yoga did (I've been avoiding yoga, because people keep talking about it bringing up emotions, and I've cried enough as it is).

I used to hate the attention my body received, but I miss my "nice little figure" now. I was really into cardio, weights, my stability ball. I liked feeling strong, it made me more comfortable in my own skin for a while there.

• Author
Women can have a body that’s attractive to men without working out. That's all I was trying to say here. People have always assumed I work out regularly or am athletic because of my build. This includes my last ex who was a certified physical trainer. He was unpleasantly surprised to realize that I never exercised after a few months of being together.
Again, this isnt just about attraction. Women have gotten lazy with their health, and are misguided into thinking they shouldnt really lift weights. Or misguiding into taking up health practices that dont target total body health.

This is the problem with many young women...thinking that just because genetics blessed them in their youth, that they dont need to do anything to upkeep their health and appearance. Yes women can look attractive without working out. Men can too. Most of my good body is down to me having great genetics long before I started weight lifting.

And women with no build or body who doll up can and do mislead men into thinking they're fitter than they are ALL THE TIME.
And the clothes come off and she gets dumped. Sucks for her. I always tell guys though, just cus the booty looks good in leggings, dont mean it looks good naked. Either way, smart guys can see which girls are fitter than others. You might not think we see it, but we do.

So the fit woman who does not dress up has competition and can lose in the looks department from a purely visual standpoint. What do you think jeans with butt inserts, and push-up bras or body tape, and control top camis, and facial contour makeup techniques are for?
You really dont give men credit. Most of us generally can tell when a woman is just dolled up and wont look the same without all her accessories. But usually the guy doesnt care, or does care and just wants to get laid.

You really think a woman who knows how to use these tools properly can't fool a guy into thinking she's well proportioned or has a better body than she's actually got? :-/ Women do it every day. So unless you do endurance testing as part of an initial date you cannot say with certainty if a girl works out or if her fit physique is attributable to applied exercise routines.

Women arent fooling anyone. GUYS KNOW that whats underneath clothing will generally look different than with the clothing on. Dudes for the most part will overlook this is the dolled up girl is their best option and they cant get the hot body girl (thats assuming were not taking personality into account).

And actually, yes you can tell if someones physique is due to exercise. Their bodies generally feel and look a great deal different than someone who doesnt work out. As someone who has sex with women, Ive not been wrong on who and who doesnt do some physical activity to keep their body and health in check.

How many household activities have become automated or simplified since the 60's because of technology or the shift to service-oriented business? Families can pay someone to do their shopping, do their cooking, do their laundry, pick up and care for their kids. Women today do not have to perform as much physically intensive labor as they did 50 years ago. So the necessity of a sturdy build in a woman has waned dramatically as a result, from the social/cultural perspective.
So basically, since society has gotten lazy, its ok for women to be unhealthy and lazy?

The physical demands of the past have NOTHING to do with todays "ideal" female body in the media. The media and fashion industry pushed the weaker female physique without having the past in mind. They didnt think "oh I guess since women dont need to do much physical work anymore, we should push a weak image"

The attractiveness of a woman with a build will not wane from a biological perspective - a sturdier woman is more likely to be able to bear multiple children. The result is that you’ve got two different images of what’s necessary for “attractiveness” at play here. Some men choose a balance of both, some choose one or the other. For you, the biological driver is very influential, as it is for a lot of men (probably the majority). However, there are men don’t operate on that as a deciding factor, especially if they don’t want children. So women who do not physically seem the best prospect for child-bearing are still considered just as or more attractive than physically fit women by men who operate this way.

1 part I agree with. But again, its about societal brainwashing trying to change whats considered an attractive female over the years, but never changing that male version. All in all it becomes clear that this is really all about control over the female image...and that it doesnt matter that if this control is detrimental to female health.

The image of the nuclear family is no longer the face of American society. People recognize and embrace that they don’t have to have children. So if they don’t need physical labor for day to day living and they may not bear children……why is being physically fit so important? The only other reason for most people is to live longer and be able to enjoy life more as they age.

Obviously people wanna be fit in order to have a health life. And obviously so they look good to and can attract mates. Attracting mates isnt about having kids. Sex is fun, and a human need...with or without procreation.

OK, I’ll amend my post to say that men and women care about different aspects of appearance then. Because men do care if a woman’s hot, and women do care if they look pretty. These are two different aspects of appearance.
Um...Id say both men and women care if they are physically hot, and if they are physically handsome or pretty.

Part of the reason guys go to the gym, is that when you lose body fat as you sculpt your body, it can help define your facial features as you lean out. Hence become more handsome since a round face is seen as feminine.

It’s safe to say that the typical 20 year old woman isn’t thinking today about how well she can get around when she’s 50 or hoping she can live to be 80. Most young folk aren’t thinking that far in advance. And a 20-something woman can get by without working out well into their 30’s if she lives a typical American lifestyle and:

1) Still be considered attractive by most men,

2) Be unimpeded in day to day life as an American, assuming she works a sedentary full time job as most Americans do

And this lazy mode of thinking is why when these girls hit the gym in their 20s and 30s, they make no progress. And they simply think their lame workout is good enough. This mode of thinking makes it so that women are fed bs fitness info that they lap up as gospel.

Some men say I don't have enough curves because my fat percentage is low, and I have a higher waist-hip ratio that than.

The preferences of men who lift are probably not the same as the preferences of men who keep fit in other ways.

^^Co-sign. This type of woman would outright scare or at least intimidate plenty of men.

• Author

Too masculine? Really. Any guy Ive EVER shown her picture too, thought she was sexy and would totally give it to her. And Ive shown a lot of guys her photo. Average guys and especially gym guys think shes fine.

Dunno what kinda guys you hang around

And huh? I know of girls who gained curves from building their ass and leg muscles...as well as making their back more prominent. Fats not the only thing that gives curve. Fat gives squishy curve. Muscle gives sleek curve. I dunno how low your body fat is, but unless you are competition low fat% I cant see how more fat would help you.

Some girls just arent curvy, whether they are thin or big.

Edited by kaylan
Again, this isnt just about attraction. Women have gotten lazy with their health, and are misguided into thinking they shouldnt really lift weights. Or misguiding into taking up health practices that dont target total body health.

This is the problem with many young women...thinking that just because genetics blessed them in their youth, that they dont need to do anything to upkeep their health and appearance. Yes women can look attractive without working out. Men can too. Most of my good body is down to me having great genetics long before I started weight lifting.

And the clothes come off and she gets dumped. Sucks for her. I always tell guys though, just cus the booty looks good in leggings, dont mean it looks good naked. Either way, smart guys can see which girls are fitter than others. You might not think we see it, but we do.

You really dont give men credit. Most of us generally can tell when a woman is just dolled up and wont look the same without all her accessories. But usually the guy doesnt care, or does care and just wants to get laid.

Women arent fooling anyone. GUYS KNOW that whats underneath clothing will generally look different than with the clothing on. Dudes for the most part will overlook this is the dolled up girl is their best option and they cant get the hot body girl (thats assuming were not taking personality into account).

And actually, yes you can tell if someones physique is due to exercise. Their bodies generally feel and look a great deal different than someone who doesnt work out. As someone who has sex with women, Ive not been wrong on who and who doesnt do some physical activity to keep their body and health in check.

So basically, since society has gotten lazy, its ok for women to be unhealthy and lazy?

The physical demands of the past have NOTHING to do with todays "ideal" female body in the media. The media and fashion industry pushed the weaker female physique without having the past in mind. They didnt think "oh I guess since women dont need to do much physical work anymore, we should push a weak image"

1 part I agree with. But again, its about societal brainwashing trying to change whats considered an attractive female over the years, but never changing that male version. All in all it becomes clear that this is really all about control over the female image...and that it doesnt matter that if this control is detrimental to female health.

Obviously people wanna be fit in order to have a health life. And obviously so they look good to and can attract mates. Attracting mates isnt about having kids. Sex is fun, and a human need...with or without procreation.

Um...Id say both men and women care if they are physically hot, and if they are physically handsome or pretty.

Part of the reason guys go to the gym, is that when you lose body fat as you sculpt your body, it can help define your facial features as you lean out. Hence become more handsome since a round face is seen as feminine.

And this lazy mode of thinking is why when these girls hit the gym in their 20s and 30s, they make no progress. And they simply think their lame workout is good enough. This mode of thinking makes it so that women are fed bs fitness info that they lap up as gospel.

-____-.

I didn't say this mode of thinking is RIGHT, I'm just saying that's the way it is.

There are plenty of women that do care about fitness as much as you and make sure they are fit. You seem on a campaign to get every woman to think this way, and assume most men already do. They're not going to, and a lot of men don't. Again, not saying it's right, just saying that's the way it is. Either you successfully pull off a social revolution to change what's culturally acceptable now or you get in where you fit in.

• Author
-____-.

I didn't say this mode of thinking is RIGHT, I'm just saying that's the way it is.

There are plenty of women that do care about fitness as much as you and make sure they are fit. You seem on a campaign to get every woman to think this way, and assume most men already do. They're not going to, and a lot of men don't. Again, not saying it's right, just saying that's the way it is. Either you successfully pull off a social revolution to change what's culturally acceptable now or you get in where you fit in.

Im on a campaign against women getting misled when it comes to there fitness. It makes you weak and harms you later on in life. Im on a campaign to let women know their health comes first before being sex objects for me.

But most women would rather play into being weak, frail, and skinny-fat if it means they are conventionally feminine by magazine standards.

^^Co-sign. This type of woman would outright scare or at least intimidate plenty of men.

Wow...you ladies need to talk to more men. What guys say among men, is not the same they say to women. Sometimes they put down stunners just so the average girls wont be intimidated.

But as I said, Ive never heard a guy say Jamie Eason wasnt a fox. And this isnt all gym guys either.

• Author

Jamie Eason, offseason, no flexing. http://i.imgur.com/IbQL2.jpg

Yeah...shes so masculine. This is the body many women want...yet think heavy weights wont get them. Granted she still has obvious muscles here, but not as pronounced when shes flexing and has lower body fat. And the pic is a bit airbrushed, but shes clearly at a higher body fat than the other pic. (still a lower body fat than most fitness folks though)

Also, Bry Jensen is another great example. She hardcore lifts and does some good cardio too. And shes very feminine imo. http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6098/6375238145_61c6266f8f_z.jpg

I dont understand why the idea that lifting weight and a woman keeping her bodyfat at a good level makes her masculine.

Im on a campaign against women getting misled when it comes to there fitness. It makes you weak and harms you later on in life. Im on a campaign to let women know their health comes first before being sex objects for me.

Meant to say "sex objects for men" not "sex objects for me"

Edited by kaylan
Too masculine? Really. Any guy Ive EVER shown her picture too, thought she was sexy and would totally give it to her. And Ive shown a lot of guys her photo. Average guys and especially gym guys think shes fine.

Dunno what kinda guys you hang around

And huh? I know of girls who gained curves from building their ass and leg muscles...as well as making their back more prominent. Fats not the only thing that gives curve. Fat gives squishy curve. Muscle gives sleek curve. I dunno how low your body fat is, but unless you are competition low fat% I cant see how more fat would help you.

Some girls just arent curvy, whether they are thin or big.

A woman can build glutes and thighs, but she can't build hips with weights. It's the small waist and wide hips that turns on a lot of men.

The second photo of Eason (off season) is posed to make her curvier than she is. I can do that for photos, too.

My mid-lower half looks about like this. No weights required.

Edited by xxoo
I dunno how low your body fat is, but unless you are competition low fat% I cant see how more fat would help you.

I've lived over 20 adult years, and have had more than one pregnancy. I've has opportunity to see how my body looks at some different weights, and at different levels of fitness.

When I don't work out much at all, and gain 10 pounds, I have wider hips and bigger boobs. I look curvier.

Still, I like to be active, so the status quo for me is toned. But that means I look lean, and not so curvy, unless I'm in a bikini.

Did you know that when it comes to fitness, diet is MUCH more important than exercise?

Exercise doesn't tone anything up...that is a myth. Exercise does one thing...increases the size and strength of your muscles. Tone is created by loss of body fat so more muscle is visible.

Most men don't like "muscular" looking women. They like TONE women. How do you get tone? Loss of body fat.

Most men don't like "muscular" looking women. They like TONE women. How do you get tone? Loss of body fat.

Thin doesn't necessarily equal toned, especially as we age.

All women are not the same. Really!

• Like 1
Did you know that when it comes to fitness, diet is MUCH more important than exercise?

Exercise doesn't tone anything up...that is a myth. Exercise does one thing...increases the size and strength of your muscles. Tone is created by loss of body fat so more muscle is visible.

Exercise tones up everything for me. I'm very thin without exercise, not toned. There's a big difference in how I look with and without exercise even though I'm always thin.

• Author
Exercise tones up everything for me. I'm very thin without exercise, not toned. There's a big difference in how I look with and without exercise even though I'm always thin.

This.

Exercise and diet are equally important to health and appearance. Without it Id just be some regular lame ole skinny dude.

Um plenty of guys do like "muscular" women. Women who are firm because of their firm muscles are indeed what I would call muscular. Firm muscles make women look sleek and shapely in the right places. Having body fat adds some curve too. But too much body fat and then youll see less of those firm muscle.

And women can only go so far in terms of increasing the size and strength of their muscles. After a certain point they are merely lifting to maintain the tone they already have. So yes, in that case I would call it toning. Since you try to maintain the muscle tone you already have.

The problem is that many women think "toning" has nothing to do with increasing size and strength of muscles. They think lifting lighter weights will make them have firmer muscles. When in reality itll make their muscles only better at endurance. To firm up you gotta build muscle. No way around that.

Edited by kaylan

Exercise doesn't tone anything up...that is a myth. Exercise does one thing...increases the size and strength of your muscles. Tone is created by loss of body fat so more muscle is visible. Most men don't like "muscular" looking women. They like TONE women. How do you get tone? Loss of body fat.

Exercise does more than increase the size and strength of your muscles. Exercise burns calories. How do you get tone? Loss of body fat. How do you lose body fat? By burning more calories than you take it. What is the "easiest" way for most people to burn more calories? Exercise.