Fat bashing....what do you think?

Barby

littleflowerpot
Originally posted by DerangedAngel

Agreed. Size bashing in general is quite hurtful. Coming from a thin girl.

If thin people believe that fat people are big, dumb, and stupid, then fat people certainly believe that thin people are obsessed with their looks and desperate to remain thin.

-Deranged

i'm also a thin person and sometimes way too thin but i don't think you or i could ever claim that we've ever been bashed as badly or stereotyped as badly as an obese person.

you also asked about whether it was offensive for people to feel sorry for fat people. i really don't know but my sister who has always been overweight says it is. she'd rather people look at her as a person instead of a fat person. i imagine it's the same thing for people with disabilities. some people will argue that disabled people and do not choose to be disabled and so it isn't the same thing. forget for a moment the argument about whether overweight people are solely responsible for their weight (and i don't think they are - that's far too simplistic and doesn't take into account the many, many factors that go along with the problem). obese people have problems that are immediately recognizable to a person's eye but many other people have problems that you can't see with the naked eye.

i've seen my sister treated horribly and looked down at and pitied which disgusts me. and this comes from people that are alcoholics or drug addicts or cruel or abusive or any number of other things that are far more problematic than being more fleshy than society tells us is okay.

littleflowerpot
Originally posted by faux

I think that obesity is disgusting. I used to be obese due to medication. I hated it, couldn't stand how I was treated, and I did something about it. I was used to being fit and trim at 125lbs, then I bloated up to around 300, slightly over 300lbs at certain points. I JUST make 5'5". I'm now 135lbs, but would like to get back to how I used to be.

A vast majority of obese persons are obese because they are unhealthy, eat too much, and live lethargic lifestyles. I don't think it looks attractive in the least. I don't think it's okay to poke fun at those people by calling them names. I don't think it's okay to tell these people what they already know — that they are unhealthy and at risk. I don't think it's fine to make any person feel horrible.

I think, however, it's perfectly okay for me to not want to be in close proximity to an obese person, because their condition makes me feel uncomfortable. I think it's fine that I don't find it attractive, and that I actually tend to find it quite disgusting. I think it's fine for me to think however I want about it, but I know to keep my opinions to myself unless specifically asked, such as in this instance.

Weight is something that can be controlled and changed with enough work. I'm certain there is a very small percentage of people who simply cannot do anything about it, but there is an overwhelming percentage of persons who can.

that's quite okay because some of us find arrogance extremely disgusting and would feel very uncomfortable in the company of arrogant people too.

littleflowerpot
Originally posted by sinner

The next wave of anti-discrimination law will probably involve appearance-based discrimination. Some cities, San Diego is one, have ordinances prohibiting employment discrimination on account of appearance. Legal protection for the unattractive.

The last wave of anti-employment law will probably prohibit employment discrimination against stupid people. Employers will be prohibited from refusing to hire plain stupid people as long as the employer's legitimate business interests aren't threatened.

Mark my words, the ugly and the stupid will get the last laugh.

you are equating stupidity with unattractiveness regarding a person's ability to do a good job?

careful, sinner, your colors are showing fluorescent.

littleflowerpot

the bottom line is that we all know why barby (or was it barbie?) started the thread. she was talking about the deliberately mean-spirited way people behave towards overweight people. she wasn't inviting discussion about the health problems related to obesity. and that's because there is no legitimate justification for being rude or cruel towards people for being overweight. some people STILL want to make it about that because it helps them in their mind to justify the abuse of obese people.

if you don't like it and don't want to be in the company of overweight people i think it's arrogant and stupid because you are negating all the other wonderful qualities this person might have but go ahead! it's within your rights. however, don't use your pathetically stupid reasons to try to justify the abuse of people.

The last wave of anti-employment law will probably prohibit employment discrimination against stupid people. Employers will be prohibited from refusing to hire plain stupid people as long as the employer's legitimate business interests aren't threatened.

I perceived this to be a funny, albiet sarcastic bit of fiction.

Yes, Spock, I was being my sweet sarcastic self by arguing that stupidity , like race, age, etc., should be made a protected characteristic.

I believe this thread has run its course.

Time to let it go... :)

Mark my words, the ugly and the stupid will get the last laugh

Do I hear peals of laughter from the balcony?

It's fascinating that people talking about 'ugly' and 'stupid' people don't realize that others might think of them that way, isn't it? It must be nice to be utterly convinced of one's beauty and brilliance.

Oh come off it, moimeme.

People are competitive, hierarchal creatures. We do it all the time without thinking about it. Deep down inside, there is a part of you that believes you are more educated, more beautiful than someone else.

The realist in you knows that there are some people who could possibly turn the tables on you; but that doesn't keep you from thinking that random people you meet from time to time aren't somehow on your level.

I'm certainly guilty as charged. We all are.

I'm prejudice against fat people, moreso than any other group of people.

I'm not trying to be incendiary, I'm just trying to chime in to anyone who's asking for honest opinions.

there is a part of you that believes you are more educated, more beautiful than someone else.

It also knows full well than I am very much less so than some others. And it is that which keeps me from being contemptuous of people who ended up even farther down the assembly line than did I.

People are competitive, hierarchal creatures

Some are, some aren't.

littleflowerpot
Originally posted by dyermaker

I'm prejudice against fat people, moreso than any other group of people.

I'm not trying to be incendiary, I'm just trying to chime in to anyone who's asking for honest opinions.

that is extremely disappointing. may i ask why? does it make you feel superior to look down on fat people?

You won't hear an apology from me.

People shouldn't ask, "Give me your opinion on this what do you think?", when they don't care to hear what others think.

It would be 'dissapointing' if I were somehow mean to fat people, or if I somehow harmed them in some way. I have not done so, I've only recognized a prejudice that I have. I think I'm not alone in this prejudice, and having anonymous people jump on their keyboards and assert their moral superioirity really detracts from a community of honesty.

littleflowerpot
Originally posted by dyermaker

You won't hear an apology from me.

People shouldn't ask, "Give me your opinion on this what do you think?", when they don't care to hear what others think.

It would be 'dissapointing' if I were somehow mean to fat people, or if I somehow harmed them in some way. I have not done so, I've only recognized a prejudice that I have. I think I'm not alone in this prejudice, and having anonymous people jump on their keyboards and assert their moral superioirity really detracts from a community of honesty.

i think you mistakenly assumed i was asking for an apology. i simply asked why you feel it's okay to be prejudiced against overweight people. i want to understand. whether you think you have or haven't harmed fat people by being prejudicial is not an issue for me. i think to be prejudiced against anyone is arrogant and harmful. i think it's offensive that you say anyone that thinks it's ugly to be prejudiced feels that they are morally superior. what does that have to do with anything? we simply think it's wrong and ugly. by all means, be honest but please don't assume i was looking for you to feel ashamed or apologetic. i want to know why you are prejudiced against them.

littleflowerpot

by the way, i did ask for your opinion which means i did want your answer. and i fully recognize that you are not alone in your prejudice but just because a prejudice is prevalent, it does not make it acceptable. you can get huffy and say i'm acting morally superior all you'd like. i prefer to think i'm opinionated and passionate about my opinions.

People are competitive, hierarchal creatures.

Yes, they are. Even those who are competitively non-competitive and hierarchally non-hierarchal.

Vanity. All is virtue-vanity. :D

:bunny:

Well, I read an email yesterday that my boyfriends sisters send to each other. Seeing that me and my boyfriend moved to another country and they don't know what I look like anymore - the mother and sisters were discussing my BODY! Can you believe it - this is my boyfriends (been together now for 5 years) family discussing me - saying I am as fat as a pig. I am not slim - I am a few pounds overweight (size 14) but gosh I am no PIG. And this is coming from people looking like they are dying from hunger - seriously annorexic looking. Can't believe that people are so narrow-minded. Why would you care about some-one elses weight?

People judge - there's just no getting around that.

It's not always fair.

It's not always nice.

But people judge anyway.

Get over it.

The way you beat a stereotype or negative judgment is to prove them wrong. Or in some cases, use it as a motivating factor to change yourself for the better.

As I've said previously, I'm very sensitive to the issue of cosmetics. Although it isn't too noticeable to the casual observer, I have a rare disability that has affected me over the years, and it is noticeable to those who look more closely. Among other things I've had scoliosis and a misshapen abdomen, and I've been unusually thin throughout a lot of my life. I've had surgery after surgery to repair some of these problems - not for cosmetic reasons but for health. So I know what it's like to be the object of pranks and jokes and other nasty remarks.

You wanna know what I finally decided?

One, I really couldn't give a flying f*ck what some ignorant ass has to say or what he thinks about me. That's not to say I like being the butt of jokes, but that in the end, I don't need them anyway.

The other thing I decided was that there were ways I could enhance my appearance. I started getting into the weight room to improve my upper body. I've also done a much better job in recent years of moderating my food intake and getting exercise so that I don't get out of shape. I take pride in my appearance because I take pride in myself, and I've learned that when you respect yourself, others will respect you as well.

I know too many people, though, who are otherwise healthy and don't do anything. They let themselves become disheveled. They keep saying how they're going to work out and how they're going to go on a diet, but never do.

I still love and accept them as friends and family. I would never have it otherwise. But you can't complain about things that you know you have the power to change. If you know people are talking about you and it bothers you, then you have a choice: you can either accept yourself as you are and ignore them; or you can listen to the criticism and do something about it. If you can't do either, you're in for some pain.

There are some cases in which obesity cannot be so easily helped, and in those cases, obesity is essentially almost like a disability beyond the control of the person who suffers from it.

But I have to say, in my experience, in most cases it is one of the most preventable and controllable maladies out there today. We just try to accept it and get hypersensitive when we don't like what others have to say about our appearance.

Originally posted by amerikajin

The way you beat a stereotype or negative judgment is to prove them wrong. Or in some cases, use it as a motivating factor to change yourself for the better.

Just because someone SAYS something negative using their judgment doesn't mean their right. Get it straight! I don't have to change myself just because someone makes a judgment?!?!? That's basically like confirming their judgment isn't it?!?!?

I do what I want to do. People can make judgments all day. If I change on them, in my opinion, is just confirming their point! Ugh!

• Author
Originally posted by MadamSwirl

Just because someone SAYS something negative using their judgment doesn't mean their right. Get it straight! I don't have to change myself just because someone makes a judgment?!?!? That's basically like confirming their judgment isn't it?!?!?

I do what I want to do. People can make judgments all day. If I change on them, in my opinion, is just confirming their point! Ugh!

:D Well put :D

DerangedAngel
You'll be the one that winds up fat, I guarantee it. Or your child will be.

That is so rude and presumptuous.

Dyer, you may not realize this, but it's easy to be thin when your a teen.

Oh my God. It is? Then please, tell me, what the f*ck was wrong with all the fat people I went to High School with? Junior High, even. Oh wait, Elementary, too. If it's so easy, then why is a child's weight such a health concern and reason they get picked on these days? Granted, your metabolism may change when you get older, but that doesn't mean you're guaranteed to burn all the junk you eat when you're young.

Give him some years to mature physically, he'll be posting here asking why people discriminate against him. Teehee.

Rude and presumptuous, again.

Tell me you don't judge, Madam.

-Deranged

That's fine. That's your choice. You can either choose to be upset by it, or choose not to be upset.

If you're comfortable with yourself, then this is really a non-issue, because you have made a real-life decision to accept the real-life consequences of your decision to not care about what others think of your appearance. You accept the fact that people are going to judge or ridicule you for being fat, but you are mentally tough enough to tolerate it. You cannot change how people think, but you can change how you think of yourself. I think that's mental strength in a sense, and I applaud that.

But some people aren't really comfortable with the thought of being ridiculed or discriminated against. And in the case of the majority of overweight people, there's something they can do about it if they want to change the perceptions of others. They can go to the weight room. They can change their diet. They can help themselves. They can conform. The thought of that may be daunting at first, but the point is that they can decide to do it, and then they can go ahead and do it.

The choice is theirs.

Either way, I don't care. I have overweight friends, and my brother himself is bordering on obese. I love and respect them all dearly. That doesn't change the fact that they've got to live with the consequences of their decisions and indecisions. This is the real world. Welcome to it.

Originally posted by littleflowerpot

i think you mistakenly assumed i was asking for an apology. i simply asked why you feel it's okay to be prejudiced against overweight people.

At the time when I read the thread, there was no question at all, it was simply the first part of your question. You added the second part, and I didn't see it.

i think to be prejudiced against anyone is arrogant and harmful.

Can you care to explain how?

i think it's offensive that you say anyone that thinks it's ugly to be prejudiced feels that they are morally superior.

I think by condemning my honesty, you're asserting your moral superiority. Reminds me of 'Some of my best friends are black'.

i want to know why you are prejudiced against them.

It's just something I've noticed. I don't think prejudices have rational support for them.

Originally posted by littleflowerpot

by the way, i did ask for your opinion which means i did want your answer.

Again, at the time, there was no question.

and i fully recognize that you are not alone in your prejudice but just because a prejudice is prevalent, it does not make it acceptable.

I never attempted to justify it. I wasn't seeking to defend my prejudices with rational arguments, I was contributing to a tally on who feels this way, and I think more people would have the courage to come forward and admit/recognize their prejudice if there wasn't a group of people waiting to pounce on them.

I'm nothing but respectful to the majority of people I come across, and I've never hurt somebody because of their weight. I think a lot more harm is done by self-righteous people such as yourself than prejudiced people, but that's just my opinion.

you can get huffy and say i'm acting morally superior all you'd like. i prefer to think i'm opinionated and passionate about my opinions.

People often confuse 'defending their opinions' with 'attacking the opinions of others'.