Fat bashing....what do you think?

Barby

YellowLioness
I think you should really chill. No one has said anything even remotely close to that.

It seems like the only people that really have negative feelings here are the ones with a hatred for the thin.

No, YOU chill out with that attitude. I was being sarcastic. You do not know me, so you cannot PRESUME to know when I am joking.

DerangedAngel
Thin people are NOT made to feel bad or even remotely unaccepted because they are thin.

I have been. I used to be incredibly, ridiculously thin. My lowest weight right before my 17th birthday was about 80 pounds. In High School people made cracks about me being anorexic, and I believe it was just as hurtful as anyone being laughed at because they are fat. You're welcome to disagree, but I don't like being called a bag of bones.

No, YOU chill out with that attitude.

Sorry, I'm chilled.

I was being sarcastic. You do not know me, so you cannot PRESUME to know when I am joking.

I did not think you were serious, only that it was a pretty mean joke to get your point across. Sorry, again.

-Deranged

HokeyReligions
Originally posted by TheFaithfulWife

Being a heavy woman I have had people make assumptions about my eating habits. I have heard comments at a buffet " better get in line before her or there will be nothing left!"

I have a cholesterol of 112 , I am not diabetic, and my blood pressure is approx. 118/70

I was not a heavy child nor am I an over eater.

I have been undergoing extreme examinations to discover why I am fat, MRI's blood tests, pituitary checks, thyroid checks etc.

I was never heavy until I had my first child and continued to gain with each of my pregnancies, after 5 of them I gained enough weight to be considered morbidly obese.

I was on weight watchers (gained weight because I was eating far more then I normally would on it), I was put on a carb diet, atkins, etc. etc.

So I was put on a diet consisting of 400-500 calories a day. Finally showed some weight loss but still not a significant amount. Doctors were worried about me maintaining that calories count without being monitored in the hospital so they pulled me off of the only diet that was working for me.

So when I hear people behind me making comments about my weight it really makes me depressed.

So I do believe the old line " when you assume you make an ASS- out of- U and- ME

It would be nice to be thin again and I would love the freedom I would have to do the things I enjoyed in the past but until they figure out why my metabolism shut down and why I have zero growth hormone in my body, I will continue to have people believe that I stuff my face every day with bags of Oreo's (which are disgusting cookies (ICK!) and spend my nights chomping Pringles!

Maybe Kaiser will finally figure out my problem but until they do I will be still looked upon by those thin people that do not really know me as the "PIG" "FAT SLOB"

My children are all thin and I will not allow them to get heavy, if they show any tendencies toward excessive weight gain I will rush them to Kaiser to begin a program before it gets to the point I got to.

Just wanted to have my say

TFW

I understand completely!!! You sound like me. I eat between 600 - 800 calories a day, have good cholesterol levels (don't eat fried or fatty foods) and I have always been big. I was a big child and I'm a big adult. The only thing the doctors have said is that my thyroid is too small. It's healthy, but too small. Now that I have RA I'm limited in the exercises I can do (swimming is best) and I've had a stress-related stroke. But people still assume that I eat too much. A long time ago I was buying one of those mini-pizzas (by weight watchers, or healthy choice I don't remember now) and you know how small those are. Some man saw me and said those were pretty good. We chatted for a minute and I commented that they are great to take to work for lunch and he suggested that I should only eat half of it "a pretty girl like you should eat less - try just eating half of that and nothing else" !!!! I was livid! I know how I am judged and I'm was in a size 20 back then. I lost weight by increasing my COLD water intake every day. My friend and my late SIL were morbidly obese--wearing size 28 and 32 respetively. They are/were practically shunned!

YellowLioness

Maybe I shouldn't joke about that stuff. We have so many bad things going on today, perhaps it was in poor taste.

Thank you for apologising. It was kind of you to do so.

I have been. I used to be incredibly, ridiculously thin. My lowest weight right before my 17th birthday was about 80 pounds. In High School people made cracks about me being anorexic, and I believe it was just as hurtful as anyone being laughed at because they are fat. You're welcome to disagree, but I don't like being called a bag of bones.

I'm really sorry to hear that. I had a friend with that problem. No matter what she did, she could not gain weight. People were pretty cruel to her, too. But, she kept her head high, and just ignored them. Now, she is as hot as she can be (no, i'm not gay, but I can tell when a woman is attractive).

I'm sorry if you felt like I was bashing thin people. Really I didn't mean it that way. I know that any one who faces teasing and descrimination has it hard.

DerangedAngel
Thank you for apologising. It was kind of you to do so.

:bunny: You're welcome. I get way too into these discussions sometimes. :)

I'm sorry if you felt like I was bashing thin people. Really I didn't mean it that way.

No worries.

I know that any one who faces teasing and descrimination has it hard.

Sad, but very true.

-DA

Originally posted by Barby

FAT BASHING! THE NEW FORM OF DISCRIMINATION!!!

I would like to hear some legitimate reasons why someone thinks it's okay to discriminate against the obese.

Ok.

Obesity and obesity related chronic health conditions (diabetes, cardiovascular disease, etc...) are estimated to cost the Americans 100 billion dollars annually. This is from rising insurance premiums, loss of productivity, loss of work time, medical coverage, etc...

(oh, and please...someone call me out on this and ask for referenced sources.....there's only about 1000 of them when you google "obese cost America"..)

As I don't enjoy the benefits of being obese (i.e., pleasure of eating more than my body can maintain) I don't feel I should have to pay for those related expenses. Hence I think a 'fat tax' is in order.

No legal precedent you say? Lots actually.

http://money.cnn.com/2002/06/20/news/q_southwest/

WA

When I mentioned "obese" I actually was referring to someone who's like 300lbs or more...(assuming they are short because weight on taller people distributes different).

Also when you said...........

quote:

The discrimination is all about appearance, not health. People use health factors to justify their discrimination.

This says it ALL no matter WHO admits it or not! This is the absolute truth!

The discrimination is about lifestyle. It's all about how people choose to appear because of how they have chosen to live their life. (Except for an estimated 1% of obese people who have gained weight for reasons beyond their control.)

..Sorta like the guy who doesn't change his clothes very often so on car rides someone else has to smash into the middle or *everyones* uncomfortable. It's a fact that if he would change his lifestyle that wouldn't be a problem. Assumptions about his lifestyle are made - just as assumptions are made when a guy rolls up in a stretch limo in an armani suit and a nice watch.

quote: Everyone is a critic. Whether it's "wow, look at her hanging over the top of her pants that's disgusting." or "oh my god, i can't believe she's wearing those shoes!"

But IF EVERYONE could remember you can "change" your shoes or whatever else in a heartbeat but you can't peel away years of "fat" put on with time and lifestyle changes, ect....it would take the same if not longer amount of time to rid one's self of all that has "accumulated" over time.

But you still chose for years to live that lifestyle. Just because you can't just go home and take off a hundred pounds of flesh doesn't mean you're totally helpless. It means that every day over years time you chose to put on weight. It speaks much louder than an ugly pair of shoes - it's more than a fashion faux pas, it's a choice made over years - it's like not only wearing those shoes but getting them surgically attached.

quote:

Me: I have several overweight friends, however, who renewed their interest in dieting after overhearing cruel remarks. Not that anyone should take it upon themselves to let everyone in the world know exactly what their problems are.. but it's a fact of life that that is what happens.

Barby: I doubt what people had to say had much to do with them trying to lose the weight, yes it probably affected them emotionally and made them really sad inside but it was probably something they'd always intended to do anyway. I'm sure hearing cruel comments only "re-confirmed" the fact that some people are ignorant and can't accept people for anything other than outter appearance.

How huge of a difference is there between your word "re-confirmed" and my word "renewed"? Yes, obviously it was something they'd always intended to do anyway! That is the point. Again, it's not just outer appearance. It's the fact that, in general, more calories are consumed than are burned up. Which means the person eats more than necessary. Which means they do not exercise enough. Which means they are not taking care of themselves and they are overindulging and everywhere they go people see that because it's gotten to the point where it's beyond noticeable and so when someone does say something, it is a reminder that something needs to be done because something CAN be done. It is a choice.

Also:

Society HONESTLY should have NO say in how someone should or shouldn't be.
That's getting a little silly - don't tell me you're an anarchist, too?

So yes, obviously, basic etiquette goes a long way. It's rude to make personal remarks. In my experience, overweight people view themselves much more negatively than the world does. And the people who I know who are obese are extremely shy, guarded people OVER-paranoid about how they are perceived and very insecure - making it an effort to get to know them on a personal level and of course making any comment that relates to their weight a horrific experience. Confidence, or the outward appearance of it, comes from within. There are plenty of overweight people who are secure with themselves. They know they are fat. They know that when people see them, they see someone who is fat. I do not deny that hurtful comments are completely unnecesary and that the meanies mommas shoulda taught em better. But it is not impossible for most people to lose weight - people do it everyday. And it is not the same as being female or being a minority or being disabled or having health problems - it is a choice.

Maybe Hokey is right - maybe with time, it will be a socially acceptable choice and "big will be beautiful" instead of just something fat people say. For now, big means someone who "let themself go". Someone who eats too much. Someone who doesn't exercise enough. If a person is disabled they have no choice but to accept it and move on. If a person is obese for health reasons beyond their control they have to accept it and move on. If there are choices that can be made and a person chooses not to make them, they have to accept it and move on - knowing they're making a choice, and have been making that choice, every single day to be obese.

Wow deranged sorry to hear that I can't imagine being called too thin at my smallest I was about 102lbs at 5'3 1/2-5'4 But exactly being teased for whatever reason is painful and wrong!

Last poster FAT TAX???? :mad::mad::mad::mad:

The benefits of being OBESE? :mad:

(i.e., pleasure of eating more than my body can maintain)

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Have you not read anything on this post at all? NOT ALL OBESE PEOPLE OVER EAT!

YOU CAN NOT TELL JUST BY LOOKING AT SOMEONE WHY THEY ARE LIKE THEY ARE (IE..IF THEY EAT TOO MUCH, TOO LITTLE, WERE BORN THAT WAY, ECT.)

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

maybe with time, it will be a socially acceptable choice and "big will be beautiful" instead of just something fat people say.
Maybe to you and a lot of other people BIG isn't beautiful and maybe they have let themselves go but it's THEIR lives no one should say anything about it. You can't "catch" fatness and it doesn't directly affect you so leave them alone and let em eat all they want. Maybe because of rude people not leaving them alone to feel good in public maybe over eating and "over indulging" is a form of "comfort" for them.

Sad as it may be maybe society has some blame in their views of themselves and the way things have progressed more and more in their lives. No one is saying the obese don't have responsibilities in the way their bodies have become all anyone is saying is:

LEAVE THEM ALONE DON'T STARE, IF YOU CAN'T BE NICE TO THEM DON'T MAKE COMMENTS AT ALL. IF YOU DON'T WANT TO TAKE TIME TO GET TO KNOW WHO THEY ARE INSIDE BEYOND THEIR PHYSICAL APPEARANCE LOOK THE OTHER WAY! THEY ARE NOT HURTING YOU OR ANYONE ELSE IF YOU FEEL IT'S "DISGUSTING" OR "OFFENDING" THEN AVOID CONTACT WITH SOMEONE OVERWEIGHT!

No matter what any of us say people are still going to be the way they are and it's sad from both angles but I'm sick also (even though I'm not obese or even chuncky) I'm sick to death of discrimination of heavy set people. I say leave everyone alone to live their lives as long as they bother no one and break no law.

Maybe to you and a lot of other people BIG isn't beautiful and maybe they have let themselves go but it's THEIR lives no one should say anything about it.
Right. Just as I said. It is rude to make personal remarks.

Although something has to be said about the public costs, no? To me, beauty in a person is unrelated to their circumstances - but it also a person who faces problems in their life and works to improve themself on the inside no matter what adversity they face. I believe most overweight people who have no biological reason to explain their obesity have emotional problems causing them to overindulge. I do usually keep that to myself, unless the topic comes up in cases such as this.

Thanks DAngel.

As I don't enjoy the benefits of being obese (i.e., pleasure of eating more than my body can maintain) I don't feel I should have to pay for those related expenses. Hence I think a 'fat tax' is in order.

As Taken said, all obese people don't over eat, I think you're statement is very generalized, rude and uncalled for :mad:. As said on the site you posted, obesity is now considered (by the IRS) an illness, so do you think it's fair to make people who have other illnesses pay taxes on those, too?

A recent study by Western Michigan University found that obese women earned 24 percent less in wages than other workers of standard weight. A 1988 follow up review of overweight children by Harvard School of Public Health showed that they had completed fewer years of school and were more likely to be living in poverty.

Maybe the children complete fewer years of school because they can't handle the teasing and hurtful remarks other students aim at them.

HokeyReligions
Originally posted by wideawake

Ok.

Obesity and obesity related chronic health conditions (diabetes, cardiovascular disease, etc...) are estimated to cost the Americans 100 billion dollars annually. This is from rising insurance premiums, loss of productivity, loss of work time, medical coverage, etc...

(oh, and please...someone call me out on this and ask for referenced sources.....there's only about 1000 of them when you google "obese cost America"..)

No legal precedent you say? Lots actually.

http://money.cnn.com/2002/06/20/news/q_southwest/

WA

OH! OK! Thanks for explaining it. Well, then go ahead and call fat people names. Put them down. Don't hire them. Don't let them have any form of enjoyment---they don't deserve it! Uh, what size do you want to start the bans? I may qualify. How about the underweight too? Surely their health care costs and loss of productivity, etc. should also be discriminated against.

As for your sources, consider them. Have you seen the numbers within the diseases? How many with high cholesterol and HC related diseases are obese vs. an 'acceptable weight'? How about heart disease? Look at the percentages there. Obese people are not always the majority in a given disease. Sometimes they are--but so what? Should we look at the numbers for every disease and discriminate against the majority-type of people who contract the disease?

As for legal precedents? Keep looking -- you will see people who have been sued successfully because they discriminated against someone solely because of their weight. Those cases will keep growing.

I think a stupidity and arrogance tax is in order too! How about a long-hair tax? I also think we should close our border and shoot to kill any illegal coming across. I mean, come ON! Illegal immigration costs American tax payers BILLIONS every year! And people who don't have kids should not have to pay school taxes! Why should I pay to educate someone that committed a crime the second their foot touched American soil illegally? How about their health care? They've never paid a cent into our Social Security or our tax coffers. Why should I have to pay for them? Since I DO have to pay for them, then I should be allowed to call them names and discriminate against them too.

Companies hire people who smoke. They just are not allowed to smoke at their job. They have to go outside somewhere or to a designated area. How about fat people? They just don't get hired! Maybe if they were not so discriminated against using money as an excuse - they could work and earn their own money and pay for their own health care costs and insurance premiums THE SAME AS EVERYONE ELSE!

How about people who have sex outside of marriage? Or get pregnant when they are single? Shouldn't they be shunned too? Oh wait---we got past that as a society.

DISCRIMINATION IS ABOUT APPEAREANCE NOT HEALTH OR MONEY! Do you see a fat person and think "Oh, that's going to cost me"? and justify discriminating against them? Some people do.

Not every disease a fat person has was caused by their fat or complications from their fat!!!!

The topic of the thread was fat bashing.

I think that was very well said Hokey. The fact that people would even think about a "fat tax" seems very sad to me.

:cool: glad to see I can keep things interesting...

Ok..let's see here:

To the folks that yelled, "NOT ALL OBESE PEOPLE OVER EAT!"

Yeah, no kidding, I didn't say all people, I said "I don't" and "my body". I was using myself as an example and in no way was I trying to make a generalization that all obese people over eat. I'm well aware of that fact and it's completely beside the point. If you read this as a generaliztion, you reading too much into it and perhaps taking comments personelly. My appologies if I offended you, though my comments were neither generalized, rude nor uncalled for as the poster wished to examine the issue of obesity in our society.

That being said it appears I need to explain the post before we all get a little hot. I was simply trying to present an aspect and problem that our country is dealing with now, and going to be dealing with to a much greater degree in the future. Bottom line is that obesity in America will degrade the quality of living for all of our citizens. Now don't get pissed about that, as I'm not trying to point a finger, throw blame nor condem people for issues outside of their control. These are just facts we have to live with, and as this is the topic of this thread, this is where we talk about them.

Now...maybe "fat tax" wasn't the most PC way to phrase my statement. True enough. But I was simply trying to express an idea quickly and I didn't think people would take it the wrong way. My bad.

I did read through all of the responses, and to be honest, I didn't see a single one that really spoke to the issue in a intelligent or rational way. Here's some specifics:

"As said on the site you posted, obesity is now considered (by the IRS) an illness, so do you think it's fair to make people who have other illnesses pay taxes on those, too?"

People pay for thier illnesses all the time. I know a few diabetics that have to spends hundreds each month on insulin, syringes, etc... All illness carries some cost factor to the individual, please provide me with an example of one that doesn't.

"Should we look at the numbers for every disease and discriminate against the majority-type of people who contract the disease?"

Should we? I don't know, but we already do on every life insurance policy written in America. Insurance companies have to in order to stay profitable and remain in business. I guess we should if we want to keep luxories like life insurance available on the market.

"And people who don't have kids should not have to pay school taxes!"

I agree.

"Illegal immigration costs American tax payers BILLIONS every year! Why should I pay to educate someone that committed a crime the second their foot touched American soil illegally?"

That's a nasty little generalization about immagrants, and has nothing to do with what the discussion is about.

"How about their health care? They've never paid a cent into our Social Security or our tax coffers. Why should I have to pay for them? Since I DO have to pay for them, then I should be allowed to call them names and discriminate against them too."

I sorry you took my use of the phrase "fat-tax" as 'calling names', it was not intended as such. I guess that's what you were getting at. Though you than go on to use the phrase "fat people" repeatedly, so who knows.

"Companies hire people who smoke. "

Yes, and all companies pay higher premiums because insurance companies have to factor in the additional cost for those smokers, for obese people and for other statiscal costs associated with disease and illness. As the percentage of smokers, obese, etc... in our society grows, hence so does the net cost of these types of benefits. Again, I was mearly looking at this from a socio-economic perspective.

"How about people who have sex outside of marriage? Or get pregnant when they are single? Shouldn't they be shunned too? Oh wait---we got past that as a society. "

Who said anything about sunning people or morality based decisions? My god, I was just speaking to the ECONOMIC IMPACT that obesity is having on our nation.

"Not every disease a fat person has was caused by their fat or complications from their fat!!!!"

No but the vast majority are. Again, nothing personal, that's just the way the stats are running right now in this country. Obesity leads to disease which in turns leads to costs associated to cure those diseases. Those costs on a national average are now approaching 100 billion dollars annually in our country.

$100 billion a year in costs associated with obesity related illness. As a nation, how are we going to deal with those rising costs, and what are the further impacts to our standard of living.

That's the question I had, that's it, and I hope I've helped to clarify my remarks.

Peace,

WA

TheFaithfulWife

Looked at the website that WideAwake pointed out, seems we fat people are ALREADY paying for being fat!

WE not YOU are paying the higher cost for insurance, WE are paying for the extra airline seat,( that the airlines reduced in size from a 18 and a half inch seat to a 16 inch seat so they could squeeze more people in)

A simple cotton blouse costs me $45, a pair of pants $48. I had to buy a car that I am comfortable in, of course the only vehicles that are larger are OVER $46,000!

My life insurance fees went up even though I have great blood pressure, no diabetes and a healthy heart!

WE ARE paying for being fat!

Now WideAwake if you think YOU are paying for MY being fat then I will gladly send the bill to you

it should come to about $100,000 for the next five years.

Please remit payment to:

TheFaithfulWife

p.o box 0000

California,USA

I would like to hear some legitimate reasons why someone thinks it's okay to discriminate against the obese. Give me your opinion on this what do you think?

I don't think I've ever seen a more loaded statement than that.

Of course, NOBODY thinks it's okay to do that, and in fact, that's exactly WHY they make fun of obese people in the first place -- because it's mean. A lot of people love to be mean to easy targets (no offense), because it makes them feel powerful and funny...to cover up their own insecurities.

It's been my experience that people who are insecure, or are at least critical of themselves, are the quickest to deal out jibes. When I see an obese person, I feel sad...not pity, but sad, because whatever his/her situation might be, I know (and we all know) what criticisms and jokes they're going to be subjected to in our society. And it's sad!

You know, I remember a time when pissing off the fat kid in class was the WRONG thing to do! :p

Originally posted by TheFaithfulWife

Looked at the website that WideAwake pointed out, seems we fat people are ALREADY paying for being fat!

WE not YOU are paying the higher cost for insurance, WE are paying for the extra airline seat,( that the airlines reduced in size from a 18 and a half inch seat to a 16 inch seat so they could squeeze more people in)

A simple cotton blouse costs me $45, a pair of pants $48. I had to buy a car that I am comfortable in, of course the only vehicles that are larger are OVER $46,000!

My life insurance fees went up even though I have great blood pressure, no diabetes and a healthy heart!

WE ARE paying for being fat!

Now WideAwake if you think YOU are paying for MY being fat then I will gladly send the bill to you

it should come to about $100,000 for the next five years.

I already am paying for you.

It's not just your life insurance that goes up to compensate for these types of issues. All life insurance companies base thier pricing on the sum average of the nation as a whole, when your rates go up, so do mine. Thanks for the pricing on your clothing though, that was helpful.

TheFaithfulWife

Spoke to my insurance agent

To quote " Insurance premiums are based on mortality rates as a whole, the highest rates for mortality are for smokers, next is heart disease, very low on the list is obesity" And he said that those obese people who have healthy hearts and are diabetes free pose very low risk for mortality.

Now if I smoked and was fat and had heart disease you might be paying for me.

Hmm just curious wideawake.. you wouldn't be a smoker would you?

If so YOU would be causing MY insurance rates to go up.

:p

TFW

I did read through all of the responses, and to be honest, I didn't see a single one that really spoke to the issue in a intelligent or rational way. Here's some specifics:

No offense, but statements like that make me unsure to post, because I am always afraid I am saying something stupid. I feel that this confirmed it.

Originally posted by supermom

No offense, but statements like that make me unsure to post, because I am always afraid I am saying something stupid. I feel that this confirmed it.

Supermom, don't sweat it.....especially in this case, the first question was so loaded, how could anyone give a good reason to discriminate against anyone, let alone obese people??

Don't ever be afraid to speak your mind...especially on the internet! Besides, even if you do say something stupid, it's not like you can't learn!! ;)

Cheers

I think that obesity is disgusting. I used to be obese due to medication. I hated it, couldn't stand how I was treated, and I did something about it. I was used to being fit and trim at 125lbs, then I bloated up to around 300, slightly over 300lbs at certain points. I JUST make 5'5". I'm now 135lbs, but would like to get back to how I used to be.

A vast majority of obese persons are obese because they are unhealthy, eat too much, and live lethargic lifestyles. I don't think it looks attractive in the least. I don't think it's okay to poke fun at those people by calling them names. I don't think it's okay to tell these people what they already know — that they are unhealthy and at risk. I don't think it's fine to make any person feel horrible.

I think, however, it's perfectly okay for me to not want to be in close proximity to an obese person, because their condition makes me feel uncomfortable. I think it's fine that I don't find it attractive, and that I actually tend to find it quite disgusting. I think it's fine for me to think however I want about it, but I know to keep my opinions to myself unless specifically asked, such as in this instance.

Weight is something that can be controlled and changed with enough work. I'm certain there is a very small percentage of people who simply cannot do anything about it, but there is an overwhelming percentage of persons who can.

I don't think obesity is disgusting. I really do believe that it is what is on the inside of a person that counts, not their physical appearance. I'm 5 foot 2, I used to be heavier, I made it down to 110, but now that I'm taking different med's I'm rising again. I'm trying everything I possibly can to stay down. I did let it go for a bit, but now I'm working like crazy to get back down to where I was. I eat about 800 calories a day and walk, exercise, all that. I think it's really sad that people can be cruel to others when they have no idea what they are going through. I'm not obese, just about 130, the highest I have ever been was 150 (on a 5'2 frame) and I was made fun of terribly in school. Not just elementry either, up through middle school, but when I lost weight the hurtful comments stopped. Now that I'm gaining again I don't know what to expect.

I don't think anyone has the right to be cruel to someone else. If they are overweight that is REALLY no one's business but their own. It's pretty bad that we have to live in a world where people are judged by the size of their bodies.

Losing weight is very hard, many people try and fail, then try again. It's a difficult battle to win and it's much harder when you're surrounded by people who are judging you and making you feel like you're not worth as much as they are just because you're overweight.

cinnamonstix49

My little brother is 11 years old. He is going into the 6th grade this year. He is under 5' tall and weighs 180 lbs. It breaks my heart when people say mean things to him, or leave him out of things, just because of his weight. Especially younger kids... they can be brutally honest, and their parents never reprimand them, they think it is funny...

In June, he had his Elementary School graduation... After the event, there were refreshments--cake, icecream, chips, pop, etc. While waiting in line to be served, I overheard one of his-smaller-classmates say to another-smaller-class mate, "chubby doesn't need any cake", referring to my brother. I took her to the side and asked her not to say things like that and asked her to appologize to him, and she said "he doesn't care, we say things like that all the time". I then explained to her that it does hurt his feelings when people make fun of him and that not everyone can be skinny like she is, and that he knows he is overweight and he tries really hard to control it.

Her mother also overheard the conversation I had with the little girl, and she only glared at me, never saying a word to the child about her comments.

HokeyReligions
Originally posted by faux

I think that obesity is disgusting. I used to be obese due to medication. I hated it, couldn't stand how I was treated, and I did something about it. I was used to being fit and trim at 125lbs, then I bloated up to around 300, slightly over 300lbs at certain points. I JUST make 5'5". I'm now 135lbs, but would like to get back to how I used to be.

A vast majority of obese persons are obese because they are unhealthy, eat too much, and live lethargic lifestyles. [color=red] LOL! Not true.[/color] I don't think it looks attractive in the least. I don't think it's okay to poke fun at those people by calling them names. I don't think it's okay to tell these people what they already know — that they are unhealthy and at risk. I don't think it's fine to make any person feel horrible.

I think, however, it's perfectly okay for me to not want to be in close proximity to an obese person, because their condition makes me feel uncomfortable. I think it's fine that I don't find it attractive, and that I actually tend to find it quite disgusting. I think it's fine for me to think however I want about it, but I know to keep my opinions to myself unless specifically asked, such as in this instance.

Weight is something that can be controlled and changed with enough work. I'm certain there is a very small percentage of people who simply cannot do anything about it, but there is an overwhelming percentage of persons who can.

!! Your preferences are fine -- but you need to get your facts straight and stop assuming things! Your last paragraph is proof of that.