Is 3 Business days too long if a employer is interested?

• Author
You started this thread by asking for honest opinions with no sugar coated answers. Can you handle the responses without getting nasty? Many people have already answered this question for you several times.

What would you do if a family member died, or some other awful incident occurred while you were working on a 90 day assignment?

I said no sugarcoating in regards to the job interview I had last Tuesday. I felt it was a bad sign when I didn't hear anything by COB on Friday. Then someone on here encouraged to call and follow up and I stated it was no point in doing it because if someone wants to hire you they know how to contact you.

And I said if I follow up I would probably get the voicemail and leave a message and never hear back. And guess what? That's exactly what happened so it will probably be a rejection letter coming soon. That's the last time I ever follow up after the initial thank you email.

• Author
You started this thread by asking for honest opinions with no sugar coated answers. Can you handle the responses without getting nasty? Many people have already answered this question for you several times.

What would you do if a family member died, or some other awful incident occurred while you were working on a 90 day assignment?

Please don't compare death to going on a interview. Obviously you will have to leave your assignment if you have a death in the family. It just looks good to be present all 90 days whether it's a temp job or regular full time job

a temp job means job searching is over and there are no more interviews

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: What planet are you on? A temp job is a JOB until A: if it becomes permanent or B: you find something better and permanent!

• Like 1
  • Author
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: What planet are you on? A temp job is a JOB until A: if it becomes permanent or B: you find something better and permanent!

What's the point of applying to other jobs if you accepted a 90 day assignment? Then you have to deal with the aggravation of trying to schedule multiple interviews. Now if you are networking and happen to talk your way into a new job then that's something different. But to try and go on interviews during a 90 day temp assignment is crazy.

Mme. Chaucer

OK. I think it's pretty clear to everyone who reads your threads that you are not really going to be getting a job. You will not be offered anything "good enough" for you, or you won't find the person interviewing you "appropriate enough" for you, etc. If you do receive an offer, you will refuse it because unemployment is better, you don't approve of the person doing the offering, or you don't accept the start date they want, OR you will simply undermine your "efforts" by showing a poor attitude that clearly exemplifies what they'd be signing up for if you went to work there.

Right?

So, what are you going to do when your unemployment runs out? Or when you get kicked off of it for refusing jobs?

Do you have a plan?

• Like 1
What's the point of applying to other jobs if you accepted a 90 day assignment? Then you have to deal with the aggravation of trying to schedule multiple interviews. Now if you are networking and happen to talk your way into a new job then that's something different. But to try and go on interviews during a 90 day temp assignment is crazy.

Not really, unless there is a promise of permanent work. Most temp jobs will understand that most people need to secure permanent work.

• Author
OK. I think it's pretty clear to everyone who reads your threads that you are not really going to be getting a job. You will not be offered anything "good enough" for you, or you won't find the person interviewing you "appropriate enough" for you, etc. If you do receive an offer, you will refuse it because unemployment is better, you don't approve of the person doing the offering, or you don't accept the start date they want, OR you will simply undermine your "efforts" by showing a poor attitude that clearly exemplifies what they'd be signing up for if you went to work there.

Right?

So, what are you going to do when your unemployment runs out? Or when you get kicked off of it for refusing jobs?

Do you have a plan?

The lady at the temp agency doesn't care I passed on the job. she will just move on to the next person. And all I did was interview never agreed to start and show up at a certain time.

I made a GROWN MAN decision today and feel good about it.

The lady at the temp agency doesn't care I passed on the job. she will just move on to the next person. And all I did was interview never agreed to start and show up at a certain time.

And she will also cross your name off any other potential job that comes along for which you might be qualified. You have been shooting yourself in the foot...

I made a GROWN MAN decision today

All evidence to the contrary.

• Like 1
Mme. Chaucer

It seems like very childish behavior to me … in fact, I am the parent of a young adult and we have had some interactions about her approaches to job finding that are pretty similar to those you are having here.

Anyway, what about my question. You are not going to be hired anywhere anytime soon. What is your plan for when your UI runs out?

• Author
And she will also cross your name off any other potential job that comes along for which you might be qualified. You have been shooting yourself in the foot...

All evidence to the contrary.

I already crossed the agency off my list so whatever she does is irrelevant. I am completely done with agencies forever

I am completely done with agencies forever

Why are you shooting yourself in the foot? Why such a polarized attitude because of one bad experience?

That's like saying, "I had a bad date with a blonde so I'm never going to date a blonde again..."

Are you seriously this short-sighted about such things?

Ginger Grant

You feel good about not putting in an honest day's work? That is the same decision you've been making for the last 270 days.

"A GROWN MAN" decision would involve putting on your big boy pants and going to work, instead if sitting at home playing, "what if".

• Author
Why are you shooting yourself in the foot? Why such a polarized attitude because of one bad experience?

That's like saying, "I had a bad date with a blonde so I'm never going to date a blonde again..."

Are you seriously this short-sighted about such things?

Because they are really only suited for recent college grads who live at home not someone with tons of work experience and living on their own like me.

If a recent college grad doesn't get hired after 3 months it's no biggie since they are not paying rent or bills

• Author
You feel good about not putting in an honest day's work? That is the same decision you've been making for the last 270 days.

"A GROWN MAN" decision would involve putting on your big boy pants and going to work, instead if sitting at home playing, "what if".

No a grown man decision it starting my own staffing agency in the AM.

Ginger Grant
No a grown man decision it starting my own staffing agency in the AM.

Yet you haven't found work for yourself. Altruistic or idiotic? You decide.

Because they are really only suited for recent college grads who live at home not someone with tons of work experience and living on their own like me.

If a recent college grad doesn't get hired after 3 months it's no biggie since they are not paying rent or bills

Perhaps agencies are different in the US, but when I worked in one, we recruited people with 3-15 years' experience into managerial and C-suite roles for huge companies.

Headhunting for senior roles is usually handled by agencies, often times due to the need for discretion. Roles like these aren't usually advertised on mainstream channels.

So, not only would you be missing out on someone doing the heavy lifting of job-hunting for you, you'd also miss out on many senior jobs. Not to mention someone who will help to promote your skillset to a potential employer - if you're not good at doing this yourself, then you need all the help you can get.

• Author
Yet you haven't found work for yourself. Altruistic or idiotic? You decide.

I;m pretty confident I can send myself on more interviews without a agency

• Author
Perhaps agencies are different in the US, but when I worked in one, we recruited people with 3-15 years' experience into managerial and C-suite roles for huge companies.

Headhunting for senior roles is usually handled by agencies, often times due to the need for discretion. Roles like these aren't usually advertised on mainstream channels.

So, not only would you be missing out on someone doing the heavy lifting of job-hunting for you, you'd also miss out on many senior jobs. Not to mention someone who will help to promote your skillset to a potential employer - if you're not good at doing this yourself, then you need all the help you can get.

I have been good doing it myself which is why I shouldn't have wasted my time with the agency. Like that job interview I had last week which from my own seeking which I will continue.

I have been good doing it myself which is why I shouldn't have wasted my time with the agency. Like that job interview I had last week which from my own seeking which I will continue.

Okay, PhillyDude, good luck with it. I'm sure you'll be back to let us know how it's going.

• Like 1