Is 3 Business days too long if a employer is interested?

• Author
Why are you trying to back-pedal here? Okay, so you had one interview. But you were also asked to submit a writing sample which shows they are more interested in you than just a courtesy interview.

What is the problem with you picking up a phone after a week? It is not "necessary" but - again - shows more interest and initiative than a mere email.

Understand that many executives get INUNDATED with emails. My last boss received upwards of 400 a day. They often get ignored if they are not immediately pertinent which is why a phone call, which is more personal and effective, is the best call in this situation.

So if I call and get the voicemail then what? Leave a message and not have it returned which would confirm my answer

So if I call and get the voicemail then what? Leave a message and not have it returned which would confirm my answer

I will bet you $100 that if you do not get a live person to talk to and have leave a voicemail, you will get some form of response.

I am serious.

Why are you trying to back-pedal here? Okay, so you had one interview. But you were also asked to submit a writing sample which shows they are more interested in you than just a courtesy interview.

What is the problem with you picking up a phone after a week? It is not "necessary" but - again - shows more interest and initiative than a mere email.

Understand that many executives get INUNDATED with emails. My last boss received upwards of 400 a day. They often get ignored if they are not immediately pertinent which is why a phone call, which is more personal and effective, is the best call in this situation.

I agree and this is exactly why even just following up on a resume is recommended. And even dropping by in person. You'll separate yourself from that growing list of resumes landing in a black hole.

• Author
I agree and this is exactly why even just following up on a resume is recommended. And even dropping by in person. You'll separate yourself from that growing list of resumes landing in a black hole.

But let's not pretend there is also a downside to doing that which is hearing that you were not selected to go to the next round. So that can really be devastating to hear especially if it's a job you really want. A rejection email or mailed letter softens the blow a little

But let's not pretend there is also a downside to doing that which is hearing that you were not selected to go to the next round. So that can really be devastating to hear especially if it's a job you really want. A rejection email or mailed letter softens the blow a little

Stop being such a wuss!

Rejection is part of the job-seeking process. I've been unemployed twice this year and have literally been on 20+ interviews for jobs I did not get. And now I have two offers. In that regard, it IS just like online dating (for me anyway) where I went on a lot of first dates.

Softening the blow? Puleeeeezze. It is business - not a girlfriend.

Why are you making such a big deal about the potential of a rejection? You really need a thicker skin when it comes to this stuff; especially if you've been unemployed this long!

• Like 2
  • Author
Stop being such a wuss!

Rejection is part of the job-seeking process. I've been unemployed twice this year and have literally been on 20+ interviews for jobs I did not get. And now I have two offers. In that regard, it IS just like online dating (for me anyway) where I went on a lot of first dates.

Softening the blow? Puleeeeezze. It is business - not a girlfriend.

Why are you making such a big deal about the potential of a rejection? You really need a thicker skin when it comes to this stuff; especially if you've been unemployed this long!

About to call the lady now only because a got a call from the agency asking can I start this week but it will be moved to next Monday. So I am about to call now and find out where I am in the hiring process.

Yes the position I was being interviewed for was Job Counselor and she wanted me to write her a sample case note

You applied for a position as a job counselor? As in, counseling others how to get jobs?? :eek:

• Like 3
You applied for a position as a job counselor? As in, counseling others how to get jobs?? :eek:

I know !?!?!?!? :confused::confused::confused:

• Author

Not as a job search expert, more of a supportive type of service where I provide tips on resumes and cover letters and provide interview advice.

Not as a job search expert, more of a supportive type of service where I provide tips on resumes and cover letters and provide interview advice.

Right. I am still perplexed. VERY perplexed!

MilitantPacifist

Give the guy a break. I find his methods perfectly normal and rational. While he may not be an expert in the post-interview process, obviously they're going to give him training before throwing him out there to advise people.

I think this may be a case of doctors making the worst patients.

Anyway, PhillyDude, it's great that you've got some good news from one interview experience. Hopefully, the other one is positive and you have two offers to choose from.

• Author
I think this may be a case of doctors making the worst patients.

Anyway, PhillyDude, it's great that you've got some good news from one interview experience. Hopefully, the other one is positive and you have two offers to choose from.

The company connected to the temp agency wants me to start this wed and I am stilling waiting on feedback from a permanent position I really want. I called and left a message and sent a email to find out a update on the hiring process.

Just do not tell them to tell the employer they need an additional week to get a haircut and a pair of pants before starting the job....kidding OP, good luck though.

In this economy, you don't want to pass up an offer while waiting for another. You may or may not hear back from that other company while the current offer you have slips through your fingers.

• Author
Just do not tell them to tell the employer they need an additional week to get a haircut and a pair of pants before starting the job....kidding OP, good luck though.

In this economy, you don't want to pass up an offer while waiting for another. You may or may not hear back from that other company while the current offer you have slips through your fingers.

I just don't like the aggression of the woman at the agency. First of all she calls this afternoon and said the company wants to know can I start tomorrow or wednesdsay? I figured they chose someone else because after not hearing anything on Friday. Didn't think they would have me start on a tuesday

So i called and left a message for the woman i interviewed with at another company last Tuesday. So if she calls me and wants me to come back in for another interview today or tomorrow, I will call the agency and let them know I can't start until next monday

I am assuming where you live is an At-Will state so start the job on Wednesday and if the other job comes through, then great. You quit the agency job for the one you really want.

What's the big deal?

• Like 1
  • Author
I am assuming where you live is an At-Will state so start the job on Wednesday and if the other job comes through, then great. You quit the agency job for the one you really want.

What's the big deal?

If I were to get a call for a second interview tomorrow, it makes sense to tell the agency that I won't be able to accept the position. Because it's no point in them waiting and waiting for me to start when they can chose someone else

What's the big deal?

I agree. Take the job for now. See what happens.

• Author
I agree. Take the job for now. See what happens.

Just got off the phone with the lady from the agency and she was like..."So can you start wednesday? I was like...."I still don't know and in the process of finalizing things"

Then she says......."Do you really want a job?" HUH?????????

Isn't it obvious I have other things pending?-lol I told her that I will give her a answer tomorrow morning because she leaves at 5pm and wanted to know before she left out

MilitantPacifist

IMO you should take the job that they're offering you. That's why she asked "Do you really want a job?" because you're waffling on that.

Any job in this economy is worth taking.

Just make sure you make it clear that if the other company makes an offer, you'd prefer that job.

• Author
IMO you should take the job that they're offering you. That's why she asked "Do you really want a job?" because you're waffling on that.

Any job in this economy is worth taking.

Just make sure you make it clear that if the other company makes an offer, you'd prefer that job.

But like I told her most jobs you start on a monday so she calls me today at 3pm asking can I start tomorrow or wednesday?? I already moved on because i thought they chose someone else since it was already monday.

But like I told her most jobs you start on a monday so she calls me today at 3pm asking can I start tomorrow or wednesday?? I already moved on because i thought they chose someone else since it was already monday.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

I'm sorry, Dude. You started a thread about how to work and get these jobs and have had MULTIPLE people tell you to get your act together to accept a job IMMEDIATELY when it is offered. You do not waffle and if they want you tomorrow, you accept it tomorrow.

Just got off the phone with the lady from the agency and she was like..."So can you start wednesday? I was like...."I still don't know and in the process of finalizing things"

Then she says......."Do you really want a job?" HUH?????????

Isn't it obvious I have other things pending?-lol I told her that I will give her a answer tomorrow morning because she leaves at 5pm and wanted to know before she left out

If I was the recruiter I'd be asking the same thing. Never say "I don't know". What kind of response is that?! If you're really not sure, just come out and say you may have another offer.

• Author
Stupid, stupid, stupid.

I'm sorry, Dude. You started a thread about how to work and get these jobs and have had MULTIPLE people tell you to get your act together to accept a job IMMEDIATELY when it is offered. You do not waffle and if they want you tomorrow, you accept it tomorrow.

So what you are saying is it's appropriate for the agency to call me when the day is almost to ask if I can start a assignment the next day? Not 9am but 3pm?

• Author
If I was the recruiter I'd be asking the same thing. Never say "I don't know". What kind of response is that?! If you're really not sure, just come out and say you may have another offer.

Well I just told her I was in the process of finalizing something, i didn't mention that it was feedback from another interview