Is 3 Business days too long if a employer is interested?

GorillaTheater
So what you are saying is it's appropriate for the agency to call me when the day is almost to ask if I can start a assignment the next day? Not 9am but 3pm?

There's nothing inappropriate about asking the question. Your answer gave the employer some useful information: namely, that you want the job too badly. If I was doing the hiring, you'd probably get "nexted".

So what you are saying is it's appropriate for the agency to call me when the day is almost to ask if I can start a assignment the next day? Not 9am but 3pm?

My guess is that most people (including agencies) assume that since you are unemployed, you don't have any other commitments that would delay your start date. And that you'd jump at the chance to start earning some money as soon as possible rather than coming up with something vague about why you can't do it. Enthusiasm in response to receiving a job offer, I think most agencies expect it, especially given how tough it is out there. They probably don't quite expect "lukewarm."

However, you can't turn back the clock. You just have to be ready with your answer of yay or nay when you next speak to her. I'm not sure they'd accept another delay.

• Author
My guess is that most people (including agencies) assume that since you are unemployed, you don't have any other commitments that would delay your start date. And that you'd jump at the chance to start earning some money as soon as possible rather than coming up with something vague about why you can't do it. Enthusiasm in response to receiving a job offer, I think most agencies expect it, especially given how tough it is out there. They probably don't quite expect "lukewarm."

However, you can't turn back the clock. You just have to be ready with your answer of yay or nay when you next speak to her. I'm not sure they'd accept another delay.

So say if I wake up tomorrow and I have a message from the other job saying they want to bring me in a 2nd time? Should I just tell the agency I won;t accept the assignment and take my chances with the permanent job?

Because if that happens, that means I can't start wednesday anyway so I might as well just tell them I'm not going to accept the assignment. Like you said, they are not going to accept another delay

Yes. What January2011 just said.

Most people register with agencies for exactly that reason - to get a job as soon as possible and most people who are unemployed would jump at the chance for a job the next day.

• Author
Yes. What January2011 just said.

Most people register with agencies for exactly that reason - to get a job as soon as possible and most people who are unemployed would jump at the chance for a job the next day.

Well I guess since I never been affiliated with a agency I'm not familiar with the operations. I thought they gave you some cushion time to get yourself together before you start a assignment.

What is your ideal scenario?

You can't have both offers to consider at the same time because you've not even been called for a second interview (yet) for the other role - so there's no guarantee in that direction, whereas you do have the first role in the bag already. That is 100% guaranteed.

However, while it's uncertain whether you will get it or not, if the second role is more attractive and you would rather be unemployed than take the temp assignment, then turn down the temp assignment.

If you want to get back to work as soon as possible, then choose the temp assignment - deal with a second interview/offer if and when it comes.

Personally, if I were in your shoes, I'd go with the temp assignment to start earning money asap. Then deal with the second role, if recruitment progresses. Better to win at something than to lose it all, in my opinion.

RE: Agencies - no, it tends to be a production line. The quicker they fill the roles, the quicker they get paid and can move onto filling other roles or business development. A waffling lukewarm candidate is probably an agency's worst nightmare.

Edited by january2011
  • Author
What is your ideal scenario?

You can't have both offers to consider at the same time because you've not even been called for a second interview (yet) for the other role - so there's no guarantee in that direction, whereas you do have the first role in the bag already. That is 100% guaranteed.

However, while it's uncertain whether you will get it or not, if the second role is more attractive and you would rather be unemployed than take the temp assignment, then turn down the temp assignment.

If you want to get back to work as soon as possible, then choose the temp assignment - deal with a second interview/offer if and when it comes.

Personally, if I were in your shoes, I'd go with the temp assignment to start earning money asap. Then deal with the second role, if recruitment progresses. Better to win at something than to lose it all, in my opinion.

RE: Agencies - no, it tends to be a production line. The quicker they fill the roles, the quicker they get paid and can move onto filling other roles or business development. A waffling lukewarm candidate is probably an agency's worst nightmare.

I agree which is why I called the lady who interviewed me last week to get a update on the hiring process. If I don't hear anything back from her by 10am tomorrow, i will call the agency to let them know I can start wed

If I get feedback from the lady about bringing me back in, then I will just call the agency back to let them know I won't be starting at all

I If I don't hear anything back from her by 10am tomorrow, i will call the agency to let them know I can start wed

Don't be too surprised if the agency finds someone else in the meantime.

Seriously - you should call back immediately and tell them you can start on Wednesday.

• Author

OK late breaking news.

I decided not to take the temp job based on what I just found out on the PA Tax Calculator. The agency is only paying me $11.00 an hour and I found out after taxes I would be getting 20 dollars less a week which averages out to $124 lower than what I get on UC a month. So I will leave a message on her machine right now letting her know that i cannot accept the position because it's lower than what I;m getting on UC. I;m already struggling now on what i get each month so it's no way I can take a position paying less money when you factor in traveling expenses. In all honesty $11.00 an hour is cool if you live at home with your parents.

So back to the job hunt.

Edited by PhillyDude

This begs the question, Dude...

When going through an agency, they usually assess your skills and pre-interview you to determine your minimum wage requirements. Wasn't this done? If they knew you wouldn't work for $11 an hour, they shouldn't have sent you to the interview.

With the agencies I work with, they know I won't work for less than $25/hour. Every now and then, I get calls asking if I would be willing to consider a job for $20/hour temp-to-perm with the knowledge it COULD become permanent for $30 an hour. I did that once and got burned, but every agency I work with knows my minimum requirements.

Have you had these discussions with your agencies?

• Author
This begs the question, Dude...

When going through an agency, they usually assess your skills and pre-interview you to determine your minimum wage requirements. Wasn't this done? If they knew you wouldn't work for $11 an hour, they shouldn't have sent you to the interview.

With the agencies I work with, they know I won't work for less than $25/hour. Every now and then, I get calls asking if I would be willing to consider a job for $20/hour temp-to-perm with the knowledge it COULD become permanent for $30 an hour. I did that once and got burned, but every agency I work with knows my minimum requirements.

Have you had these discussions with your agencies?

I thought it was the same as my UC but saw that after taxes it's $30 a week lower which totals to $120 monthly. I was trying to ask her that when I was at the agency last week and her response was....."UC is not going to last forever". So that was the big question I wanted to know, would it be the same as UC or lower and it;s a LOT LOWER. And that's even before I take out the money for transportation. So she will get a email from me before I go to sleep saying I can't accept the position

Ginger Grant
OK late breaking news.

I decided not to take the temp job based on what I just found out on the PA Tax Calculator. The agency is only paying me $11.00 an hour and I found out after taxes I would be getting 20 dollars less a week which averages out to $124 lower than what I get on UC a month. So I will leave a message on her machine right now letting her know that i cannot accept the position because it's lower than what I;m getting on UC. I;m already struggling now on what i get each month so it's no way I can take a position paying less money when you factor in traveling expenses. In all honesty $11.00 an hour is cool if you live at home with your parents.

So back to the job hunt.

So you declined to take a temp job which was a sure thing, only to wait for a possible second interview with another company which doesn't guarantee you a job? You are collecting unemployment and refusing work. Am I missing something?

• Like 2
  • Author
So you declined to take a temp job which was a sure thing, only to wait for a possible second interview with another company which doesn't guarantee you a job? You are collecting unemployment and refusing work. Am I missing something?

The temp job would be lower than what I'm getting on UC. I found that out last night when I used the PA Weekly Gross Calculator. I would get $30 less a week taking that job which totals to $120 a month less in total income.

So I'm refusing to struggle even more than I am now by not responding to a temp assignment from a Agency who won't go beyond $11.00 an hour

MilitantPacifist

Frankly I can't see how any sane person wouldn't have refused the job. He's collecting more in unemployment than he would receive in wages to work this job.

So essentially by taking the job he would have lost money, had to work X number of hours a week (in order to lose, not make, money) and also would have been unavailable to job-hunt and take interviews for any hours he was scheduled for.

What am I missing here? I think only a complete moron would accept that as a situation.

• Author
Frankly I can't see how any sane person wouldn't have refused the job. He's collecting more in unemployment than he would receive in wages to work this job.

So essentially by taking the job he would have lost money, had to work X number of hours a week (in order to lose, not make, money) and also would have been unavailable to job-hunt and take interviews for any hours he was scheduled for.

What am I missing here? I think only a complete moron would accept that as a situation.

Thank you. Working 40 hours a week means that you are no longer unemployed and I would be getting $30 less a week than what my weekly benefit is and that's before I take out transportation to get to the job-lol

Not to mention lunch money.

Ginger Grant
The temp job would be lower than what I'm getting on UC. I found that out last night when I used the PA Weekly Gross Calculator. I would get $30 less a week taking that job which totals to $120 a month less in total income.

So I'm refusing to struggle even more than I am now by not responding to a temp assignment from a Agency who won't go beyond $11.00 an hour

Unemployment is also taxable so it's six of one and half a dozen of the other. Did you run your unemployment claim through the PA Weekly Gross Calculator? You have signed on with a temp agency, and now you don't want to work with them? That won't bode well for your unemployment claim.

• Author
Unemployment is also taxable so it's six of one and half a dozen of the other. Did you run your unemployment claim through the PA Weekly Gross Calculator? You have signed on with a temp agency, and now you don't want to work with them? That won't bode well for your unemployment claim.

After UC is taxed, the pay the agency was offering would be $30 lower. And you are not required to accept a job that is much lower than your previous job.

My goodness dude. Unemployment is TEMP! Take the temp job...when it ends... you can reapply for UC! And it will be a fresh claim, so you will have longer on UC benefits. A long history of unemployment also does not look that good to an employer.

Thank you. Working 40 hours a week means that you are no longer unemployed and I would be getting $30 less a week than what my weekly benefit is and that's before I take out transportation to get to the job-lol

Not to mention lunch money.

If that is the case, UC will pay you the extra $30 if you are making less than you receive from UC.

• Author
If that is the case, UC will pay you the extra $30 if you are making less than you receive from UC.

Wrong, when you work 40 hours a week there is no unemployment. What part of that don't you understand? You are thinking of part-time hours

• Author
My goodness dude. Unemployment is TEMP! Take the temp job...when it ends... you can reapply for UC! And it will be a fresh claim, so you will have longer on UC benefits. A long history of unemployment also does not look that good to an employer.

Unemployment is temporary but it allows you to pay the bills, and have a clear schedule for interviewing so you can find a full time job.

a temp job means job searching is over and there are no more interviews

• Author
No, "substantially" lower, and in most states that's 70-75% lower. Do the math. Even f you were only making $500 a week, $2000 a month, 70% of that is $1400. $120 a month less than you used to make is nothing and you're now more likely than not going to lose your UC benefits. ≈

what the f*CK DO you mean a loss of $120 a month is nothing? Stop talking to me please

with all the rises prices in food, rent, bills and you say getting less money is nothing

Ginger Grant
Unemployment is temporary but it allows you to pay the bills, and have a clear schedule for interviewing so you can find a full time job.

a temp job means job searching is over and there are no more interviews

If this is what you believe why would you sign up with a temp agency? Job seaching is never over. Did your last employer make you take a vow that you would stop looking for work once hired? Temp work means that you have a temp job.

• Author
If this is what you believe why would you sign up with a temp agency? Job seaching is never over. Did your last employer make you take a vow that you would stop looking for work once hired? Temp work means that you have a temp job.

How the hell can you go on interviews if you have a 90 day assignment?

Ginger Grant
How the hell can you go on interviews if you have a 90 day assignment?

You started this thread by asking for honest opinions with no sugar coated answers. Can you handle the responses without getting nasty? Many people have already answered this question for you several times.

What would you do if a family member died, or some other awful incident occurred while you were working on a 90 day assignment?

• Like 1