Would you date a overweight guy....?

• Author
There are many overweight people who do not have huge appetites and just have crappy genetics and lack the knowledge that they should maximize the weight of food their eat, without going overboard on calories.

A big problem is that many overweight people, can eat the amount of food I do ( which isnt huge anymore), yet gain weight because theres more calories in the food per gram. The key for them is eating the same poundage of food with less calories. They arent all gluttons with huge appetites dude.

Americas problem isnt only portion sizes. Its the content of those calories.

Isn't another problem in America is how every other food is processed and full of additives.

• Like 1

someone said they had to like the person physically, but if there's no spark with a personality, then all you have is a physical shell. i have to have a spark in a personality before anything.

• Like 1
Badsingularity

Work on understanding what turns women on other than looks.

Work on becoming a confident attractive happy man and you will find women who will love you for who you are.

I use

Protein Powder A staple supplement. Mix with oats and stuff for a quick meal

Pre-Workout supplement Not necesarry, but can give you that good boost to get through work outs. I just use coffee.

Post-Workout supplement Im guessing its creatine based...in which case I approve. Mix it with protein post workout.

Multivitamin A staple. Itll give you all the things you may miss during the day in your diet. Plus it makes your pee neon yellow-green lolz

Fish Oil A staple. Gotta get those essential fatty acids,...them omega 3s. Especially since the typical American diet lacks enough fish.

Yohimbe Why exactly are you taking this one? Fat loss or sexual? Ive read its been used for both.

Tribulus Useless if you are under 30. Id say hold off till about 33, thats when the natural testosterone plateau in males tends to end.

L-Arginine and L-Cartinine Useless as you should be getting enough aminos in your protein mix and diet. The extra aminos doesnt affect performance enough based on what Ive read from studies and fitness folks.

Zinc Great at keeping your joints healthy. I recommend Orange Triad multivitamin. Its basically a multi and joint supplement in one. That way you buy less supplements and have less bottles.

My mistake its 10 in total not 10 different pills. I hope it's not snake oil.

I don't know how to stay positive. I don't know what to do about that.

My opinions in bold, based on my gathered knowledge of scientific research, experiences of those who use them, and info from the more reputable and knowledgeable gurus of the fitness world.

At the end of the say, if you feel it works for you, keep at it. Remember supplements arent necessary if your diet can meet those needs. But generally its hard for most people to get that done.

In my view, the four basic staples of a supplement stack are a multi, fish oil, protein, and creatine. Get a protein powder with creatine already in it if you like, and then you have your post workout all in one already. Also a pre workout can be a 5th staple, but you can save money and just go with coffee in your protein shake before your workout.

Kaylan, this research below indicates that at least 74% of the factors for being in shape is not genetic

How does that support your argument? Only 26% of the difference is unexplained and among that 26%, there could be issues in terms of "nervous energy" and "fidget factor". The real genetic number could be really close to 10-15%

My point is adjusted slightly but the overwhelming majority of what determines fat/in shape is environmental

15% or 26% is still a significant genetic influence. I invite you to read the totality of the studies. Because your assessment is lazy and the things I presented still do not support your original, nor your modified claims.

If the scientists and fitness aficionados can clearly come to the conclusion that genetics play a role in the metabolic differences and caloric need differences amongst individuals, why cant you?

Please go

Edited by kaylan
GirlontheLam
I don't think overweight people are necessarily less active, I just think they have huge appetites and don't realize how much they eat

I've known a lot of guys who whine about losing weight and then I hang out with them for half a day and they eat more than some families do in somalia (Of course they don't realize this and think they're not eating that much because for them, 4000 calories is normal)

If you do have a thyroid issue, I believe you are among the few who has a legitimate excuse for being overweight

For me, the ratios of carbs/fats/proteins makes a big difference.

^Again, where is YOUR research that everyone has the same metabolism and calric requirements? Im getting mine. And lol @ another bodybuilding "guru" on the internet. Pics or gtfo...with your screen name attached.

People have different metabolic rates. But you can change that with training and eating in a particular way as well. The ways to change it are the same for most of us. So again, in general, the same rules apply to everyone.

People have different metabolic rates. But you can change that with training and eating in a particular way as well. The ways to change it are the same for most of us. So again, in general, the same rules apply to everyone.

Lol didnt I say this? I said the same rules apply.

But I said that everyones genetics are different, so the rules wont affect everyones body in the exact same way. Working out in the gym, I may get a larger boost in my metabolic rate than my good buddy doing the same routine. It all depends. But I never said the rules were different.

We all play in the same basketball league, but one guy may be Michael Jordan, and the other guy may be Gary Payton. Same rules, but different abilities on the court.

Edited by kaylan
StillReigning

But I said that everyones genetics are different, so the rules wont affect everyones body in the exact same way. Working out in the gym, I may get a larger boost in my metabolic rate than my good buddy doing the same routine. It all depends. But I never said the rules were different.

The issue is that people don't look at genetics with the reasonable approach that you do. They just see "OMG I was fat as a little kid that means I'm always going to be fat"

Genetics play a much smaller point than people make it out to be is my point. The overwhelming majority of fat people can be in good shape if they change their lifestyle

How does that support your argument? Only 26% of the difference is unexplained and among that 26%, there could be issues in terms of "nervous energy" and "fidget factor". The real genetic number could be really close to 10-15%

To measure metabolic rate, their head has to be in a small enclosed chamber, so most of the unexplained difference could be due to different levels of claustrophobia or anxiety. When I'm monitoring someone who's nervous, I know their blood pressure could be 10% higher than their normal reading, while their heart rate and breathing could be all over the place, even twice as high. So for all we know, it could be 2% genetics.

StillReigning
To measure metabolic rate, their head has to be in a small enclosed chamber, so most of the unexplained difference could be due to different levels of claustrophobia or anxiety. When I'm monitoring someone who's nervous, I know their blood pressure could be 10% higher than their normal reading, while their heart rate and breathing could be all over the place, even twice as high. So for all we know, it could be 2% genetics.

Exactly my point. If you listen to the average fat person, they think that being fat is about 99% genetics

No surprise though, people will say and do whatever to avoid taking personal responsibility for anything

Lol @ internet forum guys arguing what scientists and fitness gurus have already long established as fact. Do I need to provide more studies of how important genetics are? Do I have to personally comb through additional studies again in order to find you exact quotes that back up what Im saying?

Genetics arent the end all be all yet they play a key role. But its not as hard or as easy for some people to maintain a certain level of fitness. Its individual and the facts back this up whether or not you want to believe this or not.

• Like 1
StillReigning
Lol @ internet forum guys arguing what scientists and fitness gurus have already long established as fact. Do I need to provide more studies of how important genetics are? Do I have to personally comb through additional studies again in order to find you exact quotes that back up what Im saying?

They arent the end all be all yet they play a key role. But its not as hard or as easy for some people to maintain a certain level of fitness. Its individual and the facts back this up whether or not you want to believe this or not.

Your facts say that 26% of difference in BMR is due to unexplained differences. Even if you want to claim that's entirely 100% genetics (which I don't buy of course), that's still means that fitness is primarily based on environmental factors

Did you read the study in its entirety? Both of them. As well as the other links? They clearly state that genetics play a role a key role. And if you knew anything, youd know genetics play a role in fat and muscle mass, and this is mentioned all over.

Read this part again:

Thus there are differences in BMR even when comparing two subjects with the same lean body mass. The top 5% of people are metabolizing energy 28-32% faster than individuals with the lowest 5% BMR.

Same lean mass...yet differences in BMR. If you read the study, youd see the subjects came from similar environments. So dont try to pin this on environment. Its obviously genetics playing a role. And if you read the study, when the authors speak of "unexplained" percentages, these are attributed to genetics that they cannot accurately pin down. Please read when provided with information. Dont be lazy after you initially asked me to back up what I said with research.

Do I have to show you even more studies that prove what I am saying?

PS - where are those bodybuilding pictures I asked for? Anyone reading this thread can see you dont know what you are talking about and havent backed up what you said with any reputable sources.

Edited by kaylan
  • Like 1
StillReigning
Did you read the study in its entirety? Both of them. As well as the other links? They clearly state that genetics play a role a key role. And if you knew anything, youd know genetics play a role in fat and muscle mass, and this is mentioned all over.

Read this part again:

Thus there are differences in BMR even when comparing two subjects with the same lean body mass. The top 5% of people are metabolizing energy 28-32% faster than individuals with the lowest 5% BMR.

Same lean mass...yet differences in BMR. If you read the study, youd see the subjects came from similar environments. So dont try to pin this on environment. Its obviously genetics playing a role. And if you read the study, when the authors speak of "unexplained" percentages, these are attributed to genetics that they cannot accurately pin down. Please read when provided with information. Dont be lazy after you initially asked me to back up what I said with research.

Do I have to show you even more studies that prove what I am saying?

PS - where are those bodybuilding pictures I asked for? Anyone reading this thread can see you dont know what you are talking about and havent backed up what you said with any reputable sources.

I respond to it with the below

"To measure metabolic rate, their head has to be in a small enclosed chamber, so most of the unexplained difference could be due to different levels of claustrophobia or anxiety. When I'm monitoring someone who's nervous, I know their blood pressure could be 10% higher than their normal reading, while their heart rate and breathing could be all over the place, even twice as high. So for all we know, it could be 2% genetics"

Youre quoting some dude from the internet who just posted that. Please back up your position with research and facts please. You know, reputable evidence. :rolleyes: How about a study that makes final conclusions at the end of its report? You know...like mine did.

Thanks

I use

Protein Powder

Pre-Workout supplement

Post-Workout supplement

Multivitamin

Fish Oil

Yohimbe

Tribulus

L-Arginine

L-Cartinine

Zinc

My mistake its 10 in total not 10 different pills. I hope it's not snake oil.

I don't know how to stay positive. I don't know what to do about that.

Since you are on a deficit you are not going to build mass after the newbie gains.

So unless the pre=workout has creatine & caffeine in it you can probably just cut that & the post & go with real food or just a protein shake after.

Really all I did when I lost 100lbs was Whey, fish oil, multi & creatine and lots of green tea during the day & yerba-matte tea before workouts.

The caffiene helps suppress appetite.

Long-ass thread.

What's your weight, age & current daily cals & macs??

Youre quoting some dude from the internet who just posted that. Please back up your position with research and facts please. You know, reputable evidence. :rolleyes: How about a study that makes final conclusions at the end of its report? You know...like mine did.

Thanks

I think you are dealing with one of the banned trolls from the losing fat section of the website i'm on. :)

Everyone is different. Everyone burns a different amount of energy during the day.

With my desk job, I can't lose weight on anything more than 1700 cals daily unless I double up on cardio. F-that.

Yet guys without a desk job the same size as me are stuffing their piehole with 2500 cals daily & still dropping fat.

Pisses me of. LOL!

StillReigning
I think you are dealing with one of the banned trolls from the losing fat section of the website i'm on. :)

Everyone is different. Everyone burns a different amount of energy during the day.

With my desk job, I can't lose weight on anything more than 1700 cals daily unless I double up on cardio. F-that.

Yet guys without a desk job the same size as me are stuffing their piehole with 2500 cals daily & still dropping fat.

Pisses me of. LOL!

That's activity level, not genetics

Outside of a very small percentage of people who have thyroid and other deficiencies and maybe a small percentage of people who burn calories incredibly well naturally, most people have about the same metabolism (which is of course defined by age, activity level, etc...)

We all play in the same basketball league, but one guy may be Michael Jordan, and the other guy may be Gary Payton. Same rules, but different abilities on the court.

Well yes, but people are aspiring to be in shape, not to be in the best 0,001%. Everyone can be in shape, not everyone can be Michael Jordan.

Once you increase your muscle to fat ratio you burn more calories.

Some people are just genetically more muscular naturally than others. That gives them a higher metabolic rate so they burn more calories than people who store fat more readily.

High protein low carbs pretty much works for the majority of people.

Once you increase your muscle to fat ratio you burn more calories.

Some people are just genetically more muscular naturally than others. That gives them a higher metabolic rate so they burn more calories than people who store fat more readily.

Not by much. From the NCBI study Kaylan linked to:

Fat-free mass (FFM) was the best single predictor of REE (R2 = 0.64): REE = 19.7 x FFM + 413. Weight also was closely correlated with REE (R2 = 0.56)

Thanks

Your links didn't show evidence of the role of genetics in causing weight gain, other than to acknowledge that genetic traits such as being tall will mean you'll burn more calories. But that doesn't mean a tall person is less prone gaining weight; they'll have a bigger stomach and a bigger appetite than a short person. Obesity rates have skyrocketed over the last 30 years; our genes couldn't have changed that fast - it must be the environment. 30 years ago, people short or tall, muscular or out of shape, were not getting nearly as fat.

Here's a study which concludes that weight gain is not caused by genetics or metabolism:

BBC - How to be Slim Part 2/6 - YouTube

It's overeating that causes weight gain, which then causes you to have a higher metabolic rate because you're now a bigger person. A fat person can eat a lot more food than a thin person without gaining more weight.