Would you date a overweight guy....?

StillReigning
That actually means that you weren't eating at a surplus. Though it seemedlike a lot of food, you still weren't eating above your maintenance. It's a myth that you can eat whatever you like and not gain weight due to genetics.

I am going to create 80,000 accounts so I can like this 80,000 times

I very very severely doubt that. Did you ever measure their calories and your calories? It's likely that you ate way more than you thought you ate (just like 99% of fat people)

If you took a 100 random women and just had them do nothing but lie in bed all day for a year and eat about 2,000 calories a day - I guarantee you that they would all gain about the same weight. That means the biggest difference between them is their activity level/calorie consumption

Activity level/calorie consumption is what determines how good you look in most cases

How false this is. Everyones body is different. 100 random people arent going to gain the same amount of weight.

Everyone has different metabolisms and different daily caloric needs for body function.

Learn something about fitness please. I could eat 3000 calories a day and not gain anything at all, but my best friend would become a pig if he wasnt lifting or doing cardio to spend those extra calories.

StillReigning
How false this is. Everyones body is different. 100 random people arent going to gain the same amount of weight.

Everyone has different metabolisms and different daily caloric needs for body function.

Learn something about fitness please. I could eat 3000 calories a day and not gain anything at all, but my best friend would become a pig if he wasnt lifting or doing cardio to spend those extra calories.

Show me some proof about this. I've spent extended periods of time with both the "I eat all the time and can't gain weight" crowd and with the "I never eat and still can't lose weight" crowd

Most big people have gigantic appetites and don't realize how much they're eating. Flipside is true for skinny dudes. I've hung out with skinny dudes where they saw me having dinner (which is often times a giant steak and a big baked potato) and they were disgusted by how much I was eating and that wasn't even a big meal to me

That actually means that you weren't eating at a surplus. Though it seemed like a lot of food, you still weren't eating above your maintenance. It's a myth that you can eat whatever you like and not gain weight due to genetics.

I know this, but allow me to elaborate.

I can eat more calories and more crap than the average person because of my high metabolism. Most people cant eat a lot of crap because they will hit their maintenance figure quicker.

...who is actively losing weight.

Since I hear women say fat guys are unattractive, would you date a fat/overweight guy who is trying really hard to lose weight by:

- watching what he eats (dieting) and stacking supplements (over 10 different pills and 3 powders)

- works out (4-5 days a week for 1-2 hours) with cardio and lifting

- formed some muscle definition

- has become stronger and faster than ever

- has already lost 85 pounds so far and has 30-40 more to go for his goal

But,

- Is still relatively fat

- Has man boobs (abnormal)

- Short on money due to the expenses of weight loss (food, pills, gym membership)

Women, does the effort count for anything or is he still ugly regardless of what has done?

I wouldn't but it has nothing to do with attractiveness in the terms that fat is ugly; it just wouldn't fit my lifestyle. I like to eat and want someone who can eat with me not caring what or how much, just as I wouldn't date someone who is disgusted with seafood because it's a huge part of my diet.

Keep up what you're doing and reach your goals, not for someone else, but for yourself. Someone who is right for you will respect you for what you are doing.

StillReigning
I know this, but allow me to elaborate.

I can eat more calories and more crap than the average person because of my high metabolism. Most people cant eat a lot of crap because they will hit their maintenance figure quicker.

Your maintenance figure is no higher than the overwhelming majority of men with similar stats (similar age/height/activity level/muscle mass/weight)

Show me some proof about this. I've spent extended periods of time with both the "I eat all the time and can't gain weight" crowd and with the "I never eat and still can't lose weight" crowd

Most big people have gigantic appetites and don't realize how much they're eating. Flipside is true for skinny dudes. I've hung out with skinny dudes where they saw me having dinner (which is often times a giant steak and a big baked potato) and they were disgusted by how much I was eating and that wasn't even a big meal to me

Proof? ANY REPUTABLE FITNESS TRAINER, NUTRITIONIST, OR DIETICIAN will tell you that everyone has different caloric needs and different metabolisms.

Thats why people cannot eat the same calories as everyone else and maintain the same weight gain or weight loss. Everyones body is different.

Dont be freaking lazy. Check out Alan Aragon if anything.

Your maintenance figure is no higher than the overwhelming majority of men with similar stats (similar age/height/activity level/muscle mass/weight)

Lmao...everyone is different. A lot of guys cannot put on muscle and keep off fat as easily as I can. You dont seem to know a damn thing about fitness. My maintenance doesnt need to be overwhelmingly higher than everyone elses. It needs to be just enough higher that I get to do the things I want with my body.

Not to mention weight lifitng and cardio changes your maintenance and increases your metabolism.

Come at me bro.

Edited by kaylan

No, mate, same rules apply in general. The ways to have a faster metabolism are pretty much universal. But there are (rare) circumstances when someone whose muscles can't stand protein for example has to have a diet which unfortunately will lead to being slightly overweight.

StillReigning
Proof? ANY REPUTABLE FITNESS TRAINER, NUTRITIONIST, OR DIETICIAN will tell you that everyone has different caloric needs and different metabolisms.

Thats why people cannot eat the same calories as everyone else and maintain the same weight gain or weight loss. Everyones body is different.

Dont be freaking lazy. Check out Alan Aragon if anything.

Lmao...everyone is different. A lot of guys cannot put on muscle and keep off fat as easily as I can. You dont seem to know a damn thing about fitness. My maintenance doesnt need to be overwhelmingly higher than everyone elses. It needs to be just enough higher that I get to do the things I want with my body.

Not to mention weight lifitng and cardio changes your maintenance and increases your metabolism.

Come at me bro.

There is no scientific evidence for anything of what you're talking about

Yes some people gain muscle and lose fat a higher rate because they have different levels of testosterone but this idea that 1 200 LB 21 year old is going to have a radically different metabolism than another 200 LB 21 year old dude is complete nonsense

I've been looking for scientific research about the difference in people that is just genetic in terms of metabolism and I can't find any. It's all about activity level/calorie consumption in most cases

No, mate, same rules apply in general. The ways to have a faster metabolism are pretty much universal. But there are (rare) circumstances when someone whose muscles can't stand protein for example has to have a diet which unfortunately will lead to being slightly overweight.

Same RULES apply. (such as calories in vs calories out) But everyone does not have the same maintenance figures (caloric needs), or metabolism (how they burn those calories). This is basic fitness stuff. How is ANYONE arguing this.

Thats why Im saying its wrong to say you can take 100 women, give them all 2000 calorie diets, and expect them all to have the same weight fluctuations afterwards. Anyone who knows anything about fitness and nutrition would laugh hardcore at that notion.

• Like 1
StillReigning
Same RULES apply. (such as calories in vs calories out) But everyone does not have the same maintenance figures (caloric needs), or metabolism (how they burn those calories). This is basic fitness stuff. How is ANYONE arguing this.

Thats why Im saying its wrong to say you can take 100 women, give them all 2000 calorie diets, and expect them all to have the same weight fluctuations afterwards. Anyone who knows anything about fitness and nutrition would laugh hardcore at that notion.

Show me your scientific evidence broseph

I've worked out with a lot of people in my life, prescribed a similar calorie plan based on their age/activity level/weight and gotten similar results in most cases. The big difference has been in muscle mass gain vs fat gain because people have different testosterone levels but the weight gain/loss is about the same

Somatypes are nonsense. This idea that one guy can eat 4,000 calories of garbage and not gain weight is nonsense

There is no scientific evidence for anything of what you're talking about

You gotta be freaking kidding me. This is BASIC INFO thats ALL over the net.

Yes some people gain muscle and lose fat a higher rate because they have different levels of testosterone but this idea that 1 200 LB 21 year old is going to have a radically different metabolism than another 200 LB 21 year old dude is complete nonsense

Youve gotta be kidding me. Its not just about testosterone and muscle building. Women also have different base caloric needs than other girls.

I've been looking for scientific research about the difference in people that is just genetic in terms of metabolism and I can't find any. It's all about activity level/calorie consumption in most cases

:rolleyes: How behind you are.

If you want me to shut you down by getting many more, including stuff from PubMD, be my guest.

• Like 1
Show me your scientific evidence broseph
Where is yours? There is not one piece of research that will tell you everyone has the same caloric needs and metabolism. Yet you a spitting bunk that if the crappiest tv fitness personality doesnt spit.

I've worked out with a lot of people in my life, prescribed a similar calorie plan based on their age/activity level/weight and gotten similar results in most cases. The big difference has been in muscle mass gain vs fat gain because people have different testosterone levels but the weight gain/loss is about the same
Oh yeah...mister anonymous forum fitness trainer whos trained people all his life, yet his "facts" arent backed up by any reputable person in the field.

Somatypes are nonsense. This idea that one guy can eat 4,000 calories of garbage and not gain weight is nonsense

Who said he wouldnt gain weight? He wont gain the SAME AMOUNT of weight as everyone else. Everyones body has different caloric needs and metabolism. Its not all the exact same. Any with common fitness sense knows this.

• Like 1
StillReigning
You gotta be freaking kidding me. This is BASIC INFO thats ALL over the net.

It's "bro-science" not supported by any actual scientific research

I've been bodybuilding since I was 13 dude, I know way more about this stuff than you do. There is no proof of what you're talking about

^Again, where is YOUR research that everyone has the same metabolism and calric requirements? Im getting mine. And lol @ another bodybuilding "guru" on the internet. Pics or gtfo...with your screen name attached.

• Like 1
StillReigning
^Again, where is YOUR research that everyone has the same metabolism and calric requirements? Im getting mine. And lol @ another bodybuilding "guru" on the internet. Pics or gtfo...with your screen name attached.

You know what I actually found some research that supports both our viewpoints (although I would argue more towards me because it says that environment is more significant than genetics) - http://www.tinajuanfitness.info/articles/art101999.html

Check that out, there's a lot of reasons why certain people are skinny and why certain people are fat just in terms of environmental reasons alone. I'm a very big non believer in the importance of genetics for being fat. I think that genetics goes a big way to determine how good you look because a guy with high test levels will just gain muscle at a much higher rate than fat (and vice versa with a low test guy), but it's not going to determine if you are 40% bodyfat or 10% bodyfat. People overeat to get fat

Bottom line is that genetics don't make you fat. You might not be able to be a bodybuilder but EVERYBODY can be in average shape

In my area if you see a cute or better looking woman and if she is a little chunky, flabby, thick or whatever term you want to use there is a STRONG possibility her man will be skinny. So strong it makes me wanna puke! If I had to guess I'd say at least a 70% chance.

While most people have similar metabolism if their amount if lean body mass is equal (lean body mass is active tissue; fat doesn't do much...) There is quite a wide variation between those with the most active metabolisms and those with the least. 400-600 calories per day if I am remembering the research accurately. That might not sound like a huge amount, but that is 41-62 lb in a year if eating the same... Again, this is the highest and the lowest and most people are not extremes but similar.

So, yes, most people are very similar in terms of metabolism given their lean body mass and most heavier people can eat more because of sheer size, it is not a hoax that some people have a much harder time losing weight and some have trouble gaining weight.

I would myself date an overweight guy who was very active. I spend hours a day physically active and would not get much time with someone who was out of shape. After some medical issues led to a rapid weight gain a while back, I am overweight too, though. As I have mentioned before. Actually, Someone who could really understand would be awesome.

• Like 1
GirlontheLam
I very very severely doubt that. Did you ever measure their calories and your calories? It's likely that you ate way more than you thought you ate (just like 99% of fat people)

When I got around to measuring, it turned out I ate less than I thought. (People would comment that I didn't eat much). Turns out I have a thyroid issue. But I have known them for a while. (around 2 decades) and they ate more than I did, and drank about 30X more soda than I did. (Literally). They finally cut down on soda a few years ago. Before that they were in the 3 a day club. I have maybe 2 a month.

More people than you think have hormone issues. It is pretty common.

Obviously, there are people who just eat to much, and once that problem is corrected, they no longer have problems. But people also have different set points, metabolisms, and patterns of weight gain.

The characterization that all overweight people are lazy is pretty ridiculous.

StillReigning

The characterization that all overweight people are lazy is pretty ridiculous.

I don't think overweight people are necessarily less active, I just think they have huge appetites and don't realize how much they eat

I've known a lot of guys who whine about losing weight and then I hang out with them for half a day and they eat more than some families do in somalia (Of course they don't realize this and think they're not eating that much because for them, 4000 calories is normal)

If you do have a thyroid issue, I believe you are among the few who has a legitimate excuse for being overweight

You know what I actually found some research that supports both our viewpoints (although I would argue more towards me because it says that environment is more significant than genetics) - http://www.tinajuanfitness.info/articles/art101999.html

Check that out, there's a lot of reasons why certain people are skinny and why certain people are fat just in terms of environmental reasons alone. I'm a very big non believer in the importance of genetics for being fat. I think that genetics goes a big way to determine how good you look because a guy with high test levels will just gain muscle at a much higher rate than fat (and vice versa with a low test guy), but it's not going to determine if you are 40% bodyfat or 10% bodyfat. People overeat to get fat

Bottom line is that genetics don't make you fat. You might not be able to be a bodybuilder but EVERYBODY can be in average shape

^That info isnt supporting both our viewpoints. Its mainly supporting mine, in which genetics play a large role in how calories and exercise affect everyone. Its all individual. No one is going to have the same amount of muscle or fat fluctuations just because they have the same diet. Our genetics our different. Yet you were fighting me on. Just because Im 5'9 and 173 lbs, does not mean another guy whos my height, my weight, or both, will have the same fat burning or muscle building abilities I do.

Breaking Down Your Metabolism - McKinley Health Center - University of Illinois

Nutrition Coach

^With these educational institutions in mind, you can head over to a couple of research resources like PubMD, and find several studies on your own.

Metabolic Typing Explains Why Different People Need Different Diets

^This is just a basic article which sites good info from Mayo Clinic

A Biometric Study of Human Basal Metabolism

^This study is about the general prediction equation used to calculate metabolic rate. In other words, these equations are not exact, and thus most calculators give people a ball park figure to aim for. Because everyone is different genetically, calculations uses these equations are not spot on correct for everyone.

A new predictive equation for resting energy ... [Am J Clin Nutr. 1990] - PubMed - NCBI

The functional significance of ... [Physiol Biochem Zool. 2004 Nov-Dec] - PubMed - NCBI

And these last two articles touch on differences in metabolic rate among healthy individuals. Its prove what I have said from the get go. Heres the breakdown of this articles thanks to wikipedia.

The basal metabolic rate varies between individuals. One study of 150 adults representative of the population in Scotland reported basal metabolic rates from as low as 1027 kcal per day (4301 kJ) to as high as 2499 kcal (10455 kJ); with a mean BMR of 1500 kcal (6279 kJ). Statistically, the researchers calculated that 62.3 % of this variation was explained by differences in fat free mass. Other factors explaining the variation included fat mass (6.7 %), age (1.7%), and experimental error including within-subject difference (2 %). The rest of the variation (26.7 %) was unexplained. This remaining difference was not explained by sex nor by differing tissue sized of highly energetic organs such as the brain.

Thus there are differences in BMR even when comparing two subjects with the same lean body mass. The top 5% of people are metabolizing energy 28-32% faster than individuals with the lowest 5% BMR. For instance, one study reported an extreme case where two individuals with the same lean body mass of 43 kg had BMRs of 1075 kcal/day (4.5 MJ) and 1790 kcal/day (7.5 MJ). This difference of 715 kcal (67%) is equivalent to one of the individuals completing a 10 kilometer run every day.

In other words...please do your research next time. And Im still waiting on those bodybuilding pics since youve been doing it for so long and know better than the rest of the fitness world.

Is all of this evidence bro science that I just posted? Feel free to look through the text of the studies and let me know.

• Like 2
  • Author
Unless half of them are snake oil, I didn't know there were so many supplements that would actually make a difference (beyond lightening your wallet).

Good luck with the weight loss!

When I've dated overweight women the experiences were more positive with the ones who didn't hate their bodies. If any of that translates to overweight men then my advice is: stay positive!

I use

Protein Powder

Pre-Workout supplement

Post-Workout supplement

Multivitamin

Fish Oil

Yohimbe

Tribulus

L-Arginine

L-Cartinine

Zinc

My mistake its 10 in total not 10 different pills. I hope it's not snake oil.

I don't know how to stay positive. I don't know what to do about that.

Look at the studies comparing adopted children... Bmi is more similar to biological parents verse adopted parents. Same with the studies of identical twins verse fraternal twins.

Genetics are not fake.

Not an excuse bit to try, but not fake.

I hope to be thin again. I was a personal trainer in my past life. But I guarantee you I understand more now!

• Like 1
I don't think overweight people are necessarily less active, I just think they have huge appetites and don't realize how much they eat

I've known a lot of guys who whine about losing weight and then I hang out with them for half a day and they eat more than some families do in somalia (Of course they don't realize this and think they're not eating that much because for them, 4000 calories is normal)

If you do have a thyroid issue, I believe you are among the few who has a legitimate excuse for being overweight

There are many overweight people who do not have huge appetites and just have crappy genetics and lack the knowledge that they should maximize the weight of food their eat, without going overboard on calories.

A big problem is that many overweight people, can eat the amount of food I do ( which isnt huge anymore), yet gain weight because theres more calories in the food per gram. The key for them is eating the same poundage of food with less calories. They arent all gluttons with huge appetites dude.

Americas problem isnt only portion sizes. Its the content of those calories.

• Like 1
StillReigning

Kaylan, this research below indicates that at least 74% of the factors for being in shape is not genetic

How does that support your argument? Only 26% of the difference is unexplained and among that 26%, there could be issues in terms of "nervous energy" and "fidget factor". The real genetic number could be really close to 10-15%

My point is adjusted slightly but the overwhelming majority of what determines fat/in shape is environmental

"The basal metabolic rate varies between individuals. One study of 150 adults representative of the population in Scotland reported basal metabolic rates from as low as 1027 kcal per day (4301 kJ) to as high as 2499 kcal (10455 kJ); with a mean BMR of 1500 kcal (6279 kJ). Statistically, the researchers calculated that 62.3 % of this variation was explained by differences in fat free mass. Other factors explaining the variation included fat mass (6.7 %), age (1.7%), and experimental error including within-subject difference (2 %). The rest of the variation (26.7 %) was unexplained. This remaining difference was not explained by sex nor by differing tissue sized of highly energetic organs such as the brain.

Thus there are differences in BMR even when comparing two subjects with the same lean body mass. The top 5% of people are metabolizing energy 28-32% faster than individuals with the lowest 5% BMR. For instance, one study reported an extreme case where two individuals with the same lean body mass of 43 kg had BMRs of 1075 kcal/day (4.5 MJ) and 1790 kcal/day (7.5 MJ). This difference of 715 kcal (67%) is equivalent to one of the individuals completing a 10 kilometer run every day