Consolidated discussion - Online dating

spiderowl

In my experience OLD is mostly a chance for women to extend their FB attention whoring to a new level. Not always but very often.

Bored browsing OKc profiles..

One guy has a the most creepiest pic of his in a cemetary leaning on a tombstone - which is beyond rude.

A next guy describes his job experience as 20 years walking and is a self proclaimed BOSS at walking.

• Like 2

I've been a fan of online dating for a long time and have successfully started two long term relationships from it in the past (am still currently in one now, going on one happy year). Unlike the people who say that women just do online dating because they are super picky or are attention whoring, there are a lot of people out there who just don't meet a lot of eligible people in their daily life or are shy and don't want to go the whole, pick up people at parties/bars/coffee shops/etc. Almost all of the guys that I would want to date (in fact almost all my friends and coworkers in general) are already in relationships, so sometimes online dating is just a lot easier.

Please don't lie in your profiles to make yourself seem better! You should be yourself. You meet all sorts of people through online dating just like you do in real life, and you want someone who is going to like you for who you are right? Sure there are a lot of guys who just jump right in and ask if you want to sleep with them, but for some women, this is what they are looking for, and perhaps those guys could get lucky. I think that online dating is a great way to meet people you might never have had the chance to, and to weed out the creepers right away.

Somehow this is how online dating works... I message a random guy and tell him he is awesome since he seems so. He requests a pic, my profile is empty since I don't use it. I put one up - no response from him but within the 13 seconds my pic was up, I recieved 3 messages. Some thing is wrong with these sites I swear. This is not a complaint - I am just stating what happened.

Somehow this is how online dating works... I message a random guy and tell him he is awesome since he seems so. He requests a pic, my profile is empty since I don't use it. I put one up - no response from him but within the 13 seconds my pic was up, I recieved 3 messages. Some thing is wrong with these sites I swear. This is not a complaint - I am just stating what happened.

You are attracted to a guy out of your league. He passes on you. Guys from below drag you back to where you belong. The balance was maintained. Everyone remained in their place. Good for you, champ.

You are attracted to a guy out of your league. He passes on you. Guys from below drag you back to where you belong. The balance was maintained. Everyone remained in their place. Good for you, champ.

Hmm, I guess I shouldn't post that he replied. Shrugs. It is nothing about leagues - a guy not being attracted to me doesn't make him any better. Same as if I am not attracted to a guy.

I realize that at the beginning of this hub, I said I’d share my experiences with you both good and bad. There doesn't seem to have been any good points so far. I suppose you get an ego boost if someone finds you attractive but so far, the bad outweighs the good. Snuggling up with my Cats with a damn good book is looking more tempting by the minute! Maybe I’m better off on my own after all......

Hmm, I guess I shouldn't post that he replied. Shrugs. It is nothing about leagues - a guy not being attracted to me doesn't make him any better. Same as if I am not attracted to a guy.

Keep telling yourself that. Maybe if you believe it enough it will become true in a demented dream or hysterical hallucination.

Please don't lie in your profiles to make yourself seem better! You should be yourself. You meet all sorts of people through online dating just like you do in real life, and you want someone who is going to like you for who you are right? Sure there are a lot of guys who just jump right in and ask if you want to sleep with them, but for some women, this is what they are looking for, and perhaps those guys could get lucky. I think that online dating is a great way to meet people you might never have had the chance to, and to weed out the creepers right away.

Totally agree! It's just another way of finding a partner. Why shouldn't it work? I have a friend that married the person whom she met on a ODS.

What also interests me...are there people who have experience with casual dating sites, like no commitment, one night stands, etc? It's also a form of online dating, but then with other reasons to meet people.

Thought I'd join in with a rant.

What is with men taking pictures with their shirts off, blowing kisses, flaunting their tongue rings. It's SUCH a turn off for me. I suppose for women looking for a hook up it might be sexy...... however, I tend to throw up a little in my mouth.

Thought I'd join in with a rant.

What is with men taking pictures with their shirts off, blowing kisses, flaunting their tongue rings. It's SUCH a turn off for me. I suppose for women looking for a hook up it might be sexy...... however, I tend to throw up a little in my mouth.

Totally agree with u! Just a nice pic is sexy enough! It also should be classy, like the man in this video: http://www.youtube.com/user/CdateGermany. He is just gorgeous. A bit like George Clooney ;)

Edited by CarolineK
What also interests me...are there people who have experience with casual dating sites, like no commitment, one night stands, etc? It's also a form of online dating, but then with other reasons to meet people.

Yes, I've done it before several times. I posted ads on exactly what type of men I was seeking for. In the end, I've experienced the best sex I ever had with men I met online.

It's quite a few very attractive men :p who want no strings attached meetups from online. The temptation can be strong;).

No matter how good her pics look it's a lie. She'll always be the fugliest woman in the bar.

I dated two men and one said I looked exactly like my photos and the other said I was more beautiful and he got an instant erection when he first saw me in person. He couldn't stop grinning the entire evening he was so pleased.

I dated two men and one said I looked exactly like my photos and the other said I was more beautiful and he got an instant erection when he first saw me in person. He couldn't stop grinning the entire evening he was so pleased.

Did you slap the second man's face? He actually told you he got an erection? Are you serious? Do you realize how little respect he had for you to even tell you something like this?

Did you slap the second man's face? He actually told you he got an erection? Are you serious? Do you realize how little respect he had for you to even tell you something like this?

He didn't say that upon meeting me for the first time. It was after we'd gotten to know each other and had had sex a few times.

I had really good luck pics v reality OLD. The ones who looked better outnumbered the others by a large amount. A few with mediocre pictures ended up being 9-10s.

• 3 weeks later...
thegreatesthumphrey
The thing I can't stand is when someone says they can't stand game playing/ dishonesty. The last guy that said this to me ended up being a HUGE at playing games/ dishonesty. What a joke.

Rule of thumb for OLD - If they ever mention anywhere in their profile or on a message that they "don't like/play games" or "hate drama", they are full of sh*t. If there was in fact no drama in their life, then they wouldn't feel the need to point it out. I quickly move onto the NEXT! lol

• 2 weeks later...

Are the holidays a good or bad time to have a dating profile up?

1. People might feel lonelier and want to make a connection.

2. They might want to avoid meeting someone new in case they are expected to buy a present.

3. If they are dating someone they plan to dump, they wouldn't want to spend any more money on them, so might break up now.

4. They might be more likely to dump someone after the holidays to get a fresh start in the New Year.

5. They might want to bring a date to a Christmas party and wouldn't be as picky.

Hmmm, can't decide. Would men and women feel differently about this, do you think?

2. They might want to avoid meeting someone new in case they are expected to buy a present.

3. If they are dating someone they plan to dump, they wouldn't want to spend any more money on them, so might break up now.

4. They might be more likely to dump someone after the holidays to get a fresh start in the New Year.

5. They might want to bring a date to a Christmas party and wouldn't be as picky.

Hmmm, can't decide. Would men and women feel differently about this, do you think?

Hmmmm this is a really good question. There are a lot of people who go searching for "relationships" in the winter because they want someone to get cozy with. I got a pitch like yesterday. "I am so lonely, I want someone to cuddle with......" Blech :p

I don't want to bring a date to the Christmas party. Heheh. Last year I brought a friend to a work party. The problem is, with their friend, people always think we are a couple. There was endless explaining. :p (and no we never dated...just a long term friendship with this one.)

I shut down my OKC profile for a couple of reasons - the number one being I met someone I am interested in getting to know better and don't want to multidate. A distant Number two is because, if this guy doesn't work out, I honestly don't have the time during the holidays to invest in starting something new. I would just be constantly turning someone down for dates/phone chats whatever. It's been hard enough organizing dates with this new guy...

If your life isn't too hectic during the holidays and you have the time to invest, I say keep it up. I just think it's a tough time to start dating someone new when you're pulled in so many directions this time of year (work parties, friends' parties, family stuff, etc etc).

But I also do think it's a romantic time of year for planning dates (so many community activites like Christmas festivals, tree-lighting ceremonies, even just the holiday drinks at places like Starbucks, even just walking through neighbourhoods and seeing houses lit up) *sigh* I just love Christmas haha... sorry, I sort of rambled off topic.

So I decided to pay a bit more attention to OLD, and post a profile on a new site. And send out a couple of messages to people who seem normal.

On the new site: I got a flood of messages instantly

Old profile: I got a reply or 2. Most of the the incoming messages come from people that are all wrong.

Here is a summary of what has happened so far. I'll give them some nicknames:

• The Italian: he was sort of funny, so I let him text me. Then he was basically after a hookup and keeps asking me to come over to his place for "wine and cheese." Next.
  • The Clinger: he sent a message, I replied with a question or 2. He wanted to answer them via phone. Then he basically sent 4 billion messages, phone calls etc. Next.
  • The Transplant: He messaged me, we have exchanged a few getting to know you messages. Not too intense. Seems like a normal guy. Haven't talked to him much yet. But no red flags.
  • The DJ: this one is a bit weird. I messaged him, because of something funny on his profile. We have exchanged like 20 messages, over the past couple days. Lots in common, at least in terms or music taste and outlook. He seems to be looking for something serious. I said let's meet for coffee and chat! He said, maybe..... I think it was too fast for him! Seems like a slow mover.....
  • The Engineer: We'll call him Mr. Mixed Signals. After a long texting sessions, we uncovered that didn't have entirely compatible relationship goals. [FWB/maybe more vs dating with possible intent of being serious] But we do have stuff in common. Proposed a happy hour or similar, so we are tentative for coffee this week. Oddly enough, I did get a check in text from him, and we exchanged more texts yesterday. This seems to be a bit attentive, considering.

As my friend, the salesmen always says, it is better to get to the "no" faster. It seems like my path to the "no" (or yes) is a little twisty.

It's the "maybes" that are always tricky. Nothing clear cut in terms of definite yes or no.

I think relationship goals are more important than common interests. You have common interests with friends but you don't want to marry them because of that. What good will it be to have the same hobby if he wants casual and you want serious? Irrelevant in my opinion.

It's the "maybes" that are always tricky. Nothing clear cut in terms of definite yes or no.

I think relationship goals are more important than common interests. You have common interests with friends but you don't want to marry them because of that. What good will it be to have the same hobby if he wants casual and you want serious? Irrelevant in my opinion.

I will admit, I have ulterior motives for meeting the engineer! I should recruit him for a professional club I am in. The rest? Who knows.