What professions are most attractive to you in a mate?

Jane2011

DuchessKaye

I had a doctor and a lawyer... They didn't have much free time. Too freakin busy! Now I know I would settle for someone who is Self Employed, those who own their time and/or those who has a degree that is related to business management so that way he can help me handling my family's business that will be soon turn over to me.

I had a doctor and a lawyer... They didn't have much free time. Too freakin busy! Now I know I would settle for someone who is Self Employed, those who own their time and/or those who has a degree that is related to business management so that way he can help me handling my family's business that will be soon turn over to me.

Acchhh!

When I was self employed I worked many 100 hour weeks, lots of 20+ hour days, and even several strings of 36 hour days.

I think the most important thing to me about a job is having one that you like. I am really impressed by men that figure out how to make a living at something they love, like a sports lover that becomes a coach or a handyman that owns a hardware store.

I have a lot of respect for people in trades like electrical workers, plumbers, and contractors.

The only thing I would not find appealing are jobs where relocation is likely and often. I moved around a lot in my younger days, and I am happy to have roots.

Eternal Sunshine

I think that for me, blue collar workers are a major turn off because of the way they speak and conduct themselves.

It's a turn off if someone uses swear words often and writes emails and texts using shorthand RU OK?CU L8 If I see this, I won't want to see someone again :sick:

I need someone cultured and well read and more often than not, blue collar workers just do not fit this criteria.

• Author
I think that for me, blue collar workers are a major turn off because of the way they speak and conduct themselves.

It's a turn off if someone uses swear words often and writes emails and texts using shorthand RU OK?CU L8 If I see this, I won't want to see someone again :sick:

I need someone cultured and well read and more often than not, blue collar workers just do not fit this criteria.

I dated a guy about a year and a half ago who kept spelling "literally" "literaly" (when he texted me). I was like..wtf? I was hot for him, though. He was a waiter with only a high school education. The thing is, we wouldn't have worked out long-term. Not because he misspelled a word (others, too, but that one I remember most distinctly), but because he and I were different.

And I'm with you on the reading thing. I contend that I'm open to various professions (even those that I've stated aren't favorites), but a guy reading is HUGE to me regardless of his profession. I would have to say it's currently my biggest "indicator" and what would give me pause about a guy, i.e. if he says "I don't read."

• Like 2
CarboniteCammy

As far as people go, I have a fascination with really intelligent, high drive, shy, intense men. My husband is all of these things, and he's in IT security. Actually now that I think about it, I pretty much exclusively date computer nerds, except for my last ex, who was a theater dude.

There's really no profession that would turn me off of dating someone.

I KNOW WHAT YOUR SAYING. I grew up with degree holders all around me, yet I still effed up school ( had to go back to get a good college enttrance score) and I fell in love for the first time, with a guy who CANNOT SPELL , read or WRITE , to SAVE HIS LIFE.

Sorry - I adore him.

I cannot live without reading, and writing a lot every day to my overseas and interstate friends online.

I NEVER thought I would be able to be with a guy who was not much into reading and studying. But I am no rocket scientist myself, the only difference between him and I , is that he is terrible with grammar and spelling, and hates to read; he understads concepts that I don't ( when we watch TV onDISCOVERY history, about how the first locks were made - he understood easily, where as I was lost and uninterested)

My main thing with people, then, was DRIVE; they have to have passions and like to learn about various things throughout their lives

Andrew plays drums, spends all his money travelling the world in wonderful and crazy ways I always planned to, and loves learning new things.

He also has a few giant fishtanks, which trust me, is a hobby in itself ( very hard to keep the PH pefect and lots of fish die, it is SO expensive)

and parrots in his room.

We recently planted a fruit and vegetable garden and are very much into doing things in life, of all colours:)

LAST but not least - he also loves and enjoys lookig at abstract art. I do my own abstract drawings ( okay, more like squiggles ) and he thinks it is really funny and cool:)

I am definately a changed women since meeting him. I just did not see myself with a guy that was not into reading. period.

He has made me want to better myself and pursue the career of my dreams too, so a guy that is NOT cultured and well versed in grammar, can still actually feed your drive and determination in life.

That said, most people into theatre, fine arts, discussing political and financial issues in depth, and who are very well read in areas you NEED to read in order to know about - a guy like my b/f would not suffice!

I do not put it down to " he is dumb and so am I". Some people are that nast and judgmental, but really, it is about drive in life, finding what your passionate about, and striving to earn a living in a way you love ( albiet, not the most luctrative job)

Drive, passion, and plenty of cool hobbies and interests will now do it for me.

I ALSO do not like pot smokers - pot does not agree with me, so it would be a negative vibe happening - I would get bad memories.

Speaking of pot.. what careers are most akin to pot smoking?

Just wondering if there is a true sterotype, or if a lot of lawyers and scientists out there smoke dope'

• Like 1
Ross MwcFan

I don't think the profession a woman has makes any difference to her attractiveness to me, unless she was a hooker (which would put me off).

I dated a guy about a year and a half ago who kept spelling "literally" "literaly" (when he texted me). I was like..wtf? I was hot for him, though. He was a waiter with only a high school education. The thing is, we wouldn't have worked out long-term. Not because he misspelled a word (others, too, but that one I remember most distinctly), but because he and I were different.

And I'm with you on the reading thing. I contend that I'm open to various professions (even those that I've stated aren't favorites), but a guy reading is HUGE to me regardless of his profession. I would have to say it's currently my biggest "indicator" and what would give me pause about a guy, i.e. if he says "I don't read."

UGH! I love reading !@!#! I never thought I would end up with a guy who does not read.

Of course, some of the nasty and judgmental posters who think lowly of me, will likely think or maybe even say " well, your pretty ****ing stupid yourself"

• Like 1
Ross MwcFan

Why would a guy not reading be so off putting to you?

I don't know where people came up the idea that attorneys work 80 hours a week and that a JD is a license to print currency.

That's far from the truth.

It feels like half of my friends are attorneys. Some of them work for Big Law in NYC, making six figures. Most of them hover around 40K to 80K working for smaller firms, the city or state, or being in business for themselves. A few of them work 4 days a week because they have court on certain days, and they get it off if they dont.

• Like 2

That's just snobbery. I find plenty of blue collar guys who have decorum and there are also plenty of white collar workers that swear especially on Friday nights in the pub with the lads. They can be pretty lazy with their grammar too. Not everyone goes to university but that doesn't mean they are all plebs who can't string a sentence together.

• Like 2
That's just snobbery. I find plenty of blue collar guys who have decorum and there are also plenty of white collar workers that swear especially on Friday nights in the pub with the lads. They can be pretty lazy with their grammar too. Not everyone goes to university but that doesn't mean they are all plebs who can't string a sentence together.

For once ... I agree with Emilia! :laugh:

TheBigQuestion
For once ... I agree with Emilia! :laugh:

Plenty of college-educated people type and text in shorthand and are too lazy to proofread anything they write. I find it irritating but it wouldn't necessarily be a dealbreaker.

Emilia is right in that there are plenty of educated white collar professionals who curse like sailors and act crass in public given the right situation. Snobbery indeed.

I have never actually really thought about this.

I am fine with most occupations, I guess, as long as they don't require 60+ hours of work / week. I just don't want a guy who is married to his job.

• Author
Why would a guy not reading be so off putting to you?

It's just bothersome to me. I don't like a guy who doesn't enjoy (or worse, "hates") decoding letters of the alphabet that are put together.

Eternal Sunshine
Plenty of college-educated people type and text in shorthand and are too lazy to proofread anything they write. I find it irritating but it wouldn't necessarily be a dealbreaker.

Emilia is right in that there are plenty of educated white collar professionals who curse like sailors and act crass in public given the right situation. Snobbery indeed.

I have met plenty of them too and I would not date them either.

Swearing with the guys is one thing, swearing with me on the first date is another.

Education is extremely important to me and I want someone that feels the same way. Not someone that will tell me "I can't believe you wasted so much time in school".

• Like 1

I've never actively sought out a woman with any particular job, any more than I'd look for a woman with a particular height or hair color. It's usually hard enough to find someone I like, so why would I want to limit myself more than I have to?

I do tend to be attracted to artistic types, so I've dated more than my fair share of dancers, musicians, actresses, etc. (Which may also explain why I'm still single! :o)

I do tend to AVOID women in the same profession as me. It gets way too competitive.

I am attracted to:

Musicians

Artists

Marketing types

But I wouldn't date a musician/artist that isn't able to support himself.

I wouldn't date:

Undertaker (no way!)

Butcher

I have dated a wide variety of guys. Teachers, doctors, musicians, business men, computer and engineering guys...

seachangeoflove

Undertaker (no way!)

Butcher

I dated a butcher, he was working at the meat counter at whole foods and I asked him for his number.

He was HAWT!! :love: and very sweet too.

I don't care what someone does, as long as they are passionate about something in their life. And that 'something' doesn't even have to be their career. Ive dated wanna be pro atheltes who worked in sports shops, butchers who were wanna be musicians etc....all good here.

• Like 3

Another factor, is that I would imagine a lot of lawyers and doctors would not want a partner without a degree.

I got a 92% on my ENTRANCE score that GETS me into a degree - yet, I have decided to put off a degree until I have other careers I am passion about as other options in life.

Personally, I think you are very smart for establishing other careers before considering college, especially in this day and age. Beyond that, I wouldn't hesitate to date a "non-degree" woman so long as she could hold up her end of a conversation and rent (assuming it ever got that far).

How is that snobbery? The fact that there are exceptions to the rule doesn't disprove the fact that blue-collar workers ARE more likely to swear and write/text using shorthand. Of course there are blue-collar workers who have plenty of decorum and college-educated people who swear. In fact, there are college-educated people who ARE blue-collar workers! But if you have ever been in a group of professors, and then in a group of construction workers, you will notice a general difference. Doesn't mean that there cannot possibly be construction workers who are quiet, well-mannered gentlemen or professors who swear.

Not sure why you're ragging on ES for her generalizations when you have made plenty yourself. Does the phrase 'Asians are sexually inexperienced and Asian men don't know how to satisfy women' ring a bell, perhaps? :rolleyes: It isn't only snobbery when you disagree with it.

• Like 1

Any profession they can support themselves in & doesn't require so many hours I don't get laid on a regular basis.

As long as the guy isnt a workaholic and can make time for me then I dont care.