What professions are most attractive to you in a mate?

Jane2011

oops! forgot to add my experience...

I've met/dated all over the map. Everyone is unique.

My ex-H was a computer engineer, but had an awesome creative streak and very athletic.

Alot of male mentors qualify as 'businessmen'... They do travel alot. I wouldn't want to be their wife for that reason... but it works for them.

They wouldn't be my friends and mentors if they were arrogant, dishonest, or I knew they were cheating.

My experience with cops and investigators are that they exposed to alot of negativity in their daily work and need to develop a thick skin. Some can become hardened and suspicious because of that. Others choose to see the bright side and relish making a positive difference in their communities.

Could care less about income as long as they can support themselves and they live within their means. I'm not a fan of debt and have no need for lots of flashy things. I'd rather spend my money buying my 'freedom' and having the luxury to do what I love.

undertaker lol

It's a recession proof business so don't laugh. I dated one and he was very well off.

I wouldn't date anyone who worked in entertainment. No doctors either, nor uneducated unskilled laborers. I was very keen on an organic farmer once. I have dated PhDs and successful businessmen.

For me, I like chicks into business, politics, and law. Oh and musicians as well. Itd be cool if she was a musician on top of one of the other things.

• Like 1

I'm a creative type. So anyone with a creative job/job involving the arts. Whether music, acting, photography, painting/drawing, etc. Something creative, that will definitely increase my attraction to you.

• Like 1
utterer of lies

As I'm an elitist, I almost exclusively date girls with at least a Bachelor, if not a Master or PhD. Most interesting professions would be:

- Behavioral Biologist

- Psychologist

- Medical Doctor

- Lawyer

- Journalist

The few 'non-educated' professions I would consider are related to art:

- Photographer

- Musician or Composer

- Writer

Feelsgoodman

I couldn't care less what a girl does for a living, unless she's a hooker, stripper, bartender, nightclub waitress...or a professor of some stupid lefty subject like women's issues or urban studies. I would also treat women in artsy fartsy professions with a degree of suspicion, as there's a good chance they are drug addicts and/or crazy, but I'd be willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Other than that, it really doesn't matter. Her looks, personality and compatibility with me are FAR more important than her job.

• Like 1
eleanorhurting
I couldn't care less what a girl does for a living, unless she's a hooker, stripper, bartender, nightclub waitress...or a professor of some stupid lefty subject like women's issues or urban studies. I would also treat women in artsy fartsy professions with a degree of suspicion, as there's a good chance they are drug addicts and/or crazy, but I'd be willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Other than that, it really doesn't matter. Her looks, personality and compatibility with me are FAR more important than her job.

A professor of some stupid lefty subject like women's issues or urban studies...

wow. you really are a catch.

• Like 4

I know, right? :laugh:

To the OP's question, I don't really care, but there are a few that I would try to avoid for pragmatic reasons. Men in the military, pilots, astronauts, Antarctic researchers - really, anything that'd involve him consistently being away for prolonged periods of time for the rest of his career life. I've done more time in LDRs in my 20-odd years than most people have in a lifetime, and they suck big hairy ones. :laugh:

eleanorhurting

Well for some reason I keep dating fellow Doctors. However, my only deal breaker is really that they have some sort of post-high school education.

Yet, I think it would be fun to date someone who was a teacher or a professor of any sort. Computer programming is sexy too. Any graduate degree is a plus.

I would avoid military or police or anything that constantly puts the other person's life in danger.

I like: teachers, social workers, personal trainers, paramedics, athletes, and anything in the travel or tourism industry, not necessarily a degree job ( travel sales consultant is fine, you need a good high school score to get in still), and I have not yet attained my degree myself ( although I plan to get one in social work).

I also like tradesmen ( they are not all simple and not intelligent, ANd they make a good living, not to mention get a great physical workout and often i GREAT shape;))

DISLIKES: computer related fields, math and scienced ased jobs, the entertainment industry ( including theatre, it is not my cup of tea, the guys just feel less masculine to me), lawyers, and doctors.

I am not intelllectually below average, my high school score proves that, and I grasp concepts in science and love discovery science... THAT SAID, I am not intellectually matched to doctors and lawyers, I am more adept at psychology and life science based topics, and cannot relate to all the reading about topcis I HATE and am bored of for lawyers, and doctors would just be too smart for me.

Eternal Sunshine

I find science tech guy the sexiest.

Computer programmers and engineers of any kind are at the top of my list.

Manual labor guys are something I am not into.

Business guys are also a turn off. I associate them with cold, cunning, cut throat personalities which are not appealing.

Feelsgoodman

The fact that I'm not a catch for some crazy feminist/left-wing radical is actually a good thing. Not being a masochist, what would I do with a woman like that?

Feelsgoodman
I find science tech guy the sexiest.

Computer programmers and engineers of any kind are at the top of my list.

Most computer programmers I know are perpetually dateless. You should have no problem getting your pick of the litter.

• Author
Well for some reason I keep dating fellow Doctors. However, my only deal breaker is really that they have some sort of post-high school education.

Yet, I think it would be fun to date someone who was a teacher or a professor of any sort. Computer programming is sexy too. Any graduate degree is a plus.

I would avoid military or police or anything that constantly puts the other person's life in danger.

I didn't used to think I'd be down to date doctors (and generally speaking, it's not high on my preferences), but because I have about four male acquaintances/friends who all did med school together (and are all now in their 3rd or 4th year of residency), and they're totally awesome and well-rounded, I like doctors more and more.

Eternal Sunshine
Most computer programmers I know are perpetually dateless. You should have no problem getting your pick of the litter.

I don't ever meet any!

Most of my exs have been engineers.

It's funny, once I met a computer programmer and asked him what does he do, he actually tried to explain it away like "I am a computer programmer but please don't think that's all I like to do.. I have a variety of other hobbies and interests..." :laugh:

For me, I like chicks into business, politics, and law. Oh and musicians as well. Itd be cool if she was a musician on top of one of the other things.

And I dislike the fields of business, politics, and law.

I am actually an avid reader, but those particular topics are not interesting to me.

Lately, I am trying to better educate myself on politics, though; while I am not interested in learning about it a great deal, as a women in my mid 20's, it is good to have a basic understanding of how the world works in this regard.

I like to know what my view is, based on the facts, and I like to know how other people feel about the basics.

I like people to take a basic interest in the world and current events, including the very basic political agendas and how they feel about important, big desisions... I prefer they know what each party stands for, too...

In depth knowldege and extensive dsicussion is SOO MUCH in politics, but I like a guy to have a very basic understanding and interest, and be able to talk about it with me once a week.....

• Author
I am not intelllectually below average, my high school score proves that, and I grasp concepts in science and love discovery science... THAT SAID, I am not intellectually matched to doctors and lawyers, I am more adept at psychology and life science based topics, and cannot relate to all the reading about topcis I HATE and am bored of for lawyers, and doctors would just be too smart for me.

Aw jeez, I totally respect doctors and lawyers, but I wouldn't say they're above everyone else intellectually or intelligence-wise. One of my doctor friends says being in medicine is completely un-intellectual. Not to say you don't have to be smart; you totally do. But it's in great part being a mechanic for the human body; it's not "intellectual," per se.

My older sister's a lawyer, and I have a lot of lawyer friends and acquaintances. They're very smart, but it's not as if regular people "can't hang" with them.

I didn't used to think I'd be down to date doctors (and generally speaking, it's not high on my preferences), but because I have about four male acquaintances/friends who all did med school together (and are all now in their 3rd or 4th year of residency), and they're totally awesome and well-rounded, I like doctors more and more.

Easier for doctors to date doctors, IMO. Not sure about the USA, but where I live docs can send partnered applications for not only their residency and job locations, but also to be able to work night shifts and long shifts together. So that syncs up their schedules and allows them to be in the same place while both pursuing their careers, which are, to me at least, two of the biggest hurdles that I face with my bf (who is one).

Then again, I guess nothing good was ever easy. :p

Feelsgoodman
I don't ever meet any!

Just go to some nerdy computer-related convention or show. There should be a ton of single IT guys there.

• Author

Manual labor guys are something I am not into.

Business guys are also a turn off. I associate them with cold, cunning, cut throat personalities which are not appealing.

I don't know how I feel about manual labor guys. There's a manual labor guy who likes me now, and I don't feel too much for him. I keep thinking...nah, I don't want you.

Any-who. Business guys give me the same vibe as you mentioned. Yet, I know they're not all bad. I do think, though, that one's profession seeps into one's personality, even if one isn't "corrupt" or "greedy" or "cutthroat." And the business personality just isn't my cup of tea.

I dated a guy who was in finance/sales a long time ago, and he lived up to the stereotype. He was all about becoming rich.

• Author
Easier for doctors to date doctors, IMO. Not sure about the USA, but where I live docs can send partnered applications for not only their residency and job locations, but also to be able to work night shifts and long shifts together. So that syncs up their schedules and allows them to be in the same place while both pursuing their careers, which are, to me at least, two of the biggest hurdles that I face with my bf (who is one).

Then again, I guess nothing good was ever easy. :p

Yeah, one of my doctor friends married a female doctor, and they do all their work together like you mentioned. Total power couple.

Miss.Misunderstood

I'm all about a man whos job relates to something physical. It's a turn off for me if he works in a cube. I like a man to come home in sweat and dirt.

Yeah, one of my doctor friends married a female doctor, and they do all their work together like you mentioned. Total power couple.

Yeah, most of the docs I know are dating docs too, with very few exceptions. I sometimes wondered who'd do the housework and childcare, though, with both of them working 60-80 hour weeks, but I'm sure they figure something out. :laugh:

I like the idea of a health worker, a teacher, or some other nice middle class profession.

In practice though I don't really mind as long as the girl is doing something.

fortyninethousand322

Are there any professions a person could have that would automatically make you cease dating them or not take things further? Say, if you met them and started talking, but then found out that they were a _____?

Anyone working for a military/defense contractor or some variation of. I don't really feel like dating a sadist, you know?

And anyone who works for the Yankees or Red Sox.