23 days as a Vegan - tips?

• Author
FeelingLonely98
Does this mean you don't own leather goods and never purchase them either? Because if you do I laugh at you as you are just another hypocrate

I'm the OP. I never said I was a strict vegan. In my first post on this thread I said I converted to a plant based diet. By choice. The only non plant-based food I used to really enjoy was cheese. But one of the other posters above was spot on with the comment about how horrific the dairy industry is.

I have personally never bought anything made of leather. Never could really afford it for one and long before I felt an aversion to eatting animals I felt it odd to wear animals - leather, fur. (Seems barbaric and neanderthal-ish huh?) Is that a word-lol?

Emilia - if it makes you feel good to belittle me and others like me feel free. Your words do not hurt me one bit. Call me a hypocrite I don't care. Your interpretation of my words on a thread ... ?

Interesting conversations above. (Especially the trendy vegan teenager comment! Let's be civil though. ;)

PEACE, FL98

• Like 2
I've not come across many, if any, vegans, out of the hundreds of contacts I have IRL and online who don't actually know what being vegan means.

I agree it's viewed as trendy to some people, mostly teenagers who are doing it to look cool. It will be a passing phase to them. But they are in the minority.

Due to being an actual vegan, i suspect your contacts are atypical in this regard.

HeavenOrHell

True, yes. Depends who you hang out with/are in contact with, I'm not in touch with teenagers much, they're the ones likely to be vegetarian/vegan as a fad, to look cool/edgy, more mature people will be vegan for genuine reasons.

I became veggie when I was 18, (over 25 years ago), hadn't even heard of vegetarians, I just gave up meat on my own, no fuss.

Due to being an actual vegan, i suspect your contacts are atypical in this regard.
  • Like 1
True, yes. Depends who you hang out with/are in contact with, I'm not in touch with teenagers much, they're the ones likely to be vegetarian/vegan as a fad, to look cool/edgy, more mature people will be vegan for genuine reasons.

I became veggie when I was 18, (over 25 years ago), hadn't even heard of vegetarians, I just gave up meat on my own, no fuss.

Whether I agree or disagree with your moral beliefs, I certainly respect you for following what you believe in, and for knowing how to identify it correctly.

I never said I was a strict vegan.

It's sort of like being pregnant, either you are or you are not. But I liked your post.

• Author
FeelingLonely98
It's sort of like being pregnant, either you are or you are not. But I liked your post.

Well, I eat a 100% plant-based diet. I don't buy leather. But I may eat food that was cooked in ovens that previously was used to cook animals or I may violate some other strict codes of strict vegans. I don't want to say "I'm a vegan" because I am pretty sure I am not one in the strictest sense and I feel that would be offensive to absolute vegans. (I may have slipped at times and wrote vegan vs vegan diet in prior posts.) Not sure what that makes me - a fraud? (Should I go have a steak and milkshake now?) :o

The intent of my original post was to get tips as someone new to a plant-based diet. Never thought I would get quasi-bashed by both sides (vegans supporters AND vegan haters). But no worries... At least it has stimulated some conversation.

PEACE, FL98

HeavenOrHell

You're not a 'fraud' even if some people make out like you are, you said in your first post you wanted a vegan diet, so that's pretty clear.

Hope you didn't think I was nit picking about whether you're vegan or not, not at all :) I'll leave that to other people :D

You didn't start this thread as a debate about whether you're vegan or not, it's non vegans who started saying that, which you could've done without.

Soon as I saw a post about veganism I knew it would attract posters who wanted to nit pick or have a pop about veganism.

Well, I eat a 100% plant-based diet. I don't buy leather. But I may eat food that was cooked in ovens that previously was used to cook animals or I may violate some other strict codes of strict vegans. I don't want to say "I'm a vegan" because I am pretty sure I am not one in the strictest sense and I feel that would be offensive to absolute vegans. (I may have slipped at times and wrote vegan vs vegan diet in prior posts.) Not sure what that makes me - a fraud? (Should I go have a steak and milkshake now?) :o

The intent of my original post was to get tips as someone new to a plant-based diet. Never thought I would get quasi-bashed by both sides (vegans supporters AND vegan haters). But no worries... At least it has stimulated some conversation.

PEACE, FL98

• Like 1

Well, one of the "tips" to staying a vegan is having these types of discussions from time-to-time and not letting them discourage you from continuing onwards. It reminds you why you are doing this, and maybe clarifies the rules of veganism you truly practice and appreciate.

My last tip, I just remembered, is this site:

Vegan Essentials - Online Vegan Store - Vegan Products for cruelty-free living

I've bought several things from here with not a single problem. I like supporting them instead of Amazon when I can.

• Like 1