Jesus tested me today

tinktronik
:laugh:

I read this as Jesus texted me today! The heat is getting to me here.

That is exactly how I read it too. :eek:

BetheButterfly
I met a woman.

Well done

I was waiting for a prescription to be filled at a super-market pharmacy and she sat down next to me to wait too. I didn't notice her all that much but I decided to strike up a conversation. Well, she turned out to very appealing as I talked with her. My mind went into "hmmmm" mode. I then told her that I was annoyed with the service there because they made me wait for something they never had in stock in the first place. With that she said "I'm praying to the Lord that Jesus take all your pain away and keep you blessed in the comfort of the Holy Spirit". I smiled and thanked her and said that I need all the "grace" I can get.
True.

Inside however I thought she was certifiably insane.

Insane according to who?

So, I faced the question: "could I have some kind of fling with someone who regularly spoke in terms like that?" And the answer was that it just wouldn't be right of me to have sex with someone so "religiositous" because I don't respect the belief at all.
Many "religiousitous" people do not believe in having sex without mutual love or commitment, so unless she was flirting with you (and it is entirely possible she was just being friendly, not flirting) why did you think of such a thing concerning her?

It's not that I don't respect the person--ironically it is BECAUSE I respect the person that I think it wrong to pretend I believe what she believes just to get some possible sex off her.
Correction: you do not respect the woman you met, nor do you respect what she believes. Your reply to her shows as well that you did not respect yourself and what you believe either, because you could have kindly yet firmly told her that you do not believe in Jesus or the Holy Spirit, yet instead you "played along." That's interesting.

Jesus tested me and I think Jesus would approve?

It is possible Jesus was testing the woman, but one of the "prerequisites" of believing in Jesus is believing in God, amazingly enough.

if you care for the poor and help those in need, then Jesus would approve of that most definitely.

Talking to yourself and congratulating yourself for "respecting" a person who you do not respect by deciding not to pretend to believe what she does and have a fling with her is hardly a test for you. And, since you don't believe Jesus is who he says he is, there's hardly a reason to even desire his approval.

Could you sex somebody up who you thought was a doddering religious fool? :p
Obviously, you have no respect for this woman and/or for what she believes.

For religious fools, many of them would not want to have sex with a person who they didn't love or were committed to... it's a part of "doddering religious foolery" to only have sex with a person one is married to, though sadly many people who believe in God fall into temptation and have sex with people who are outside the boundaries God has set in place.

Regardless, calling people who believe differently than you do insulting names requires negative levels of respect, tolerance, and open-mindedness. Even though this woman did not insult you in any way, but rather blessed you, you have insulted her, not to her face, but on this forum.

Why?

Thankfully, some people understand that those who insult others have hurt in their lives that makes them lash out against others and call them names. Maybe that is the case here?

BetheButterfly
It's like this, I didn't respect "her" in particular,

Ah! Agreed

I just respected that she's a human being and doesn't deserve to be deceived for my own gratification. I respected her and respected myself--even though some may fault my characterization of religiosity as certifiably insane or a doddering religious fool.
I have had conversations with very intelligent Atheists, Buddhists, and Hindus who have tolerance, open mindedness, and respect for what Christians believe even though they obviously don't believe the same. They also have respect for what they themselves believe, respect enough to tell me what they believe in a kind, respectful manner, so I am failing to understand why you believe you have respected yourself? To me, respecting yourself means to tell her, Hey I don't believe that (and respecting her is to not call what she believes insulting names.)

There was a lot more to her prayer over me and though I did show a thankful face inside I was think "holy Fing Shi+" what a dingbat.

So you were acting like you respected her but inside you were not.

Needless to say I'm a non-believer. But I think my decision not to exploit here (which I think was certainly possible given the other niceties was one the real Christ would rubber stamp at the right thing. A million other guys--some true believers, some mild believers, others non-believers would have thought totally about themselves and not cared about saying whatever to get her into the sack as quickly as possible and then slink out. The moral of my story is that I'm what you call your "spiritual atheist".
I am curious if she was flirting with you? Do you think she wanted to have a relationship with you of any kind (other than friendship/acquaintance?

I do value the story of Jesus but I think he would reject the worship people pay to him in favor of folks taking the risks he did to "do the right thing".
The story of Jesus is centered on a Being called God (though the name differs depending the language.) Since Jesus is Jewish and spoke Aramaic and Hebrew and lived before the Romans destroyed the Temple in Jerusalem, it is important to understand the story of Jesus centers on the beliefs of a group of people who very firmly believed in God (and even today most Jewish people who believe in God do not write the vowels when referring to God out of reverence and respect for Him.) Jesus called himself the Son of God, so the story of Jesus heavily revolves around the existence of a Being that is not of this earth, but rather made this earth.

I just won't have any talk of "super-nature" in my life--or at least not until I have exhausted all of the mysteries of actual nature. And there are so many that deserve "natural considerations" before anyone jumps the tracks and concludes the involvement of some sort of "super-nature". Peace.

That is fine and is most definitely in your right to believe what you consider to be true, and it would be really sad if any Christian insults you for not believing what they believe, same as it is sad when any person insults any other person for differences, either in beliefs, genders, ethnicity, sexual preferences, and so on. Edited by BetheButterfly

Hi, I'm new here. But I feel I have to respond. Completely understand where this woman is coming from, and believe me she's not crazy. This woman should understand that what she's being taught in her church etc. is not accepted by everyone and can be a turn-off, which it was for you.

I don't think Jesus tested you OP. :laugh:

I think only your tolerance was tested.

Take care,

Eve x

Well said, Eve.

• Author
Feelin Frisky
From to is quite a leap.

She was just being polite in responding to your conversation. If she had any idea what you're thinking I believe she would have responded quite differently.

Nah, If you just connect the two sentences the way you did and make a judgement on that naturally it's not going to sound like there was opportunity there. But this conversation lasted a half hour and I could tell that had I thrown myself into exploiting her that she would have been forthcoming . I'm not saying she would have balled me within the same day--suffice it to say that all indications were there that I was welcome to advance the ball toward seeing her. So, the question to myself was could I put on a front to possibly work her? Or do my own ethics and morals make it impossible? And then for argument sake how do others feel about religiosity? If they dislike it but get the sense that if the just fake it they might land some?

I would not have brought this up unless I got the sense that I could definitely work this woman--religiosity notwithstanding.

• Author
Feelin Frisky
Frisky, when I was younger (about 19) I had a mormon guy come around my house for a month straight to speak to me about Mormon stuff just because I thought he was ooober hot! :laugh: It didn't take me long to realize however that Mormonism is sooooo not for me. I just liked looking at him!

I've always thought that you are a genuinely good person by the way you express yourself here. I think that it's commendable that you did not pursue anything sexual with this lady out of respect for her as an individual. She may have gone for it seeing as how you're such a charmer and all, but it would have not been in her best interest since she could never truly convince you to follow her linear religious beliefs.

There. Thank you Lil1. I would feel "sinful" even though I don't believe in god or sin. I guess the question was really about "deceit" and I probably should not have even asked it. I have known a lot of men though in my time who would day anything to get over on someone. But it's a good thing not to hear anyone coming forward here with that kind of swaggering disregard. People who espouse religiosity like that should not always be taken as merely religious or pious but sometimes mentally ill and vulnerable. I'd be very ashamed to have taken advantage of a demented person regardless of how appealing she might look.

If you thought the girl was hot you should have gone for it. Only thing that should have stopped you is if it truly would have made you lose respect for yourself. She might have just been using the lingo of religion. I truly believe most people who consider themselves Christians don’t take that crap literally. To find out if they take it literally just ask them if they think heaven is some place in the clouds with angels that fly around and god sitting and making sure people are good etc. I personally believe in a persons right to believe in stupid crap, problem is religious people can be really annoying so if she was going to be really annoying then you did the right thing. (personally if she was hot I would have wanted some if I was single)

TheLawmaker
Nah, If you just connect the two sentences the way you did and make a judgement on that naturally it's not going to sound like there was opportunity there. But this conversation lasted a half hour and I could tell that had I thrown myself into exploiting her that she would have been forthcoming . I'm not saying she would have balled me within the same day--suffice it to say that all indications were there that I was welcome to advance the ball toward seeing her. So, the question to myself was could I put on a front to possibly work her? Or do my own ethics and morals make it impossible? And then for argument sake how do others feel about religiosity? If they dislike it but get the sense that if the just fake it they might land some?

I would not have brought this up unless I got the sense that I could definitely work this woman--religiosity notwithstanding.

If Jesus tested you, you would be up in the heavens, being judged by God.

Of course, you're an atheist, so you don't believe that. I respect your non-beliefs...why be so disrespectful towards those that believe?

why be so disrespectful towards those that believe?

Asks the person who is talking about a religion that believes we’re all sinners going to eternal hell and damnation unless we worship and ask for Jesus to save us.

How about having a sense of humor? I mean why so serious?

Are you a Christian who believes the bible literally?

pureinheart
I wouldn't ever consider getting involved with someone who is religious in any way shape or form....hot or not,I can't respect people who live in a delusional word.I can't be bothered to humor them either, as it's just so ridiculous and about controlling the masses with fear and guilt!

"Jesus" wasn't testing you,your own conscience and common sense to not get involved with someone you consider certifiably insane, stopped you from pushing it too far.

You should probably figure out he doesn't even exist.

Can't you handle the reality of death with some dignity or live with character and conscience without false promises/threats of heaven or hell to keep you in line?

Wow, this isn't condescending:rolleyes:

Wow, this isn't condescending:rolleyes:

Yes and saying every one who ever lived and will ever live is going to hell unless they’ve accepted Jesus as their lord and savior isn’t?

• Author
Feelin Frisky
...why be so disrespectful towards those that believe?

How was I "so disrespectful"? I find the type of religiosity shown to me by this particular woman to sound insane. But did I tell her that? No. I thanked her for her blessing and said I need all the blessing I can get (despite the fact that I think it's a crock that does nothing). I respect people--I don't respect everyone's "beliefs" but as long as I treat them with dignity I'm entitled to privately consider what they believe to be a bunch of nonsense if the shoe fits. My private opinion is that the type of "Christianity" most American "Christians" purport to practice is actually the antithesis of Christianity--they talk "worship" and practice a lot of fear and loathing whereas Jesus, the man or myth that I understand was not about drawing worship to himself nor damning other people for not all acting "proper". Maybe you wanna choose your words better--I don't disrespect anyone, I'm disgusted by the hypocrisy of the pseudo culture many people call Christianity.

whichwayisup

I wouldn't ever consider getting involved with someone who is religious in any way shape or form....hot or not,I can't respect people who live in a delusional word.I can't be bothered to humor them either, as it's just so ridiculous and about controlling the masses with fear and guilt!

Religious as in?? Bible thumpers? Or someone who goes to Church every Sunday?

I do think fanatics are one thing but those who believe in their religion, is another. I assume you are talking about fanatics and not someone who just goes to Church regularly... ?

BetheButterfly
How was I "so disrespectful"?

Do you consider calling someone who doesn't have any ill will against you a doddering ... fool to not be disrespectful? Maybe even just a little bit?

It doesn't matter that she has no idea. Actually, it is more up front and honest to tell her this:

"I find the type of religiosity shown to me by this particular woman [you] sound insane."

than to go to a forum and show extreme intolerance, disrespect, and close-mindedness by calling her insulting names. Would you like someone to do that to you? Why or why not?

Or, if someone found your particular beliefs to be insane, would you rather them tell you in a kind way, or would you rather them go talk to others about you behind your back? That is what this is... talking about another human being behind her back and insulting her... and she didn't do anything mean to you.

One of my friends who is an Atheist calls my beliefs crazy. He does so to my face, but in such a kind and fun way that I am not offended. He has the absolute right to believe what he wants, and even some of his Christian jokes are hilarious. One of the main reasons he is a friend is because he is not a pretender. He does not be all "nice" and then stab people in the back. He says what's in his heart, but he does it in a way that is not insulting, but rather hilarious and endearing.

Do I understand why he is an Atheist. Yes. Do I call him a fool for not believing? No. Even though there is a Bible verse concerning those who do not believe in God being fools, that does not give me the excuse or right to call him a fool, either to his face, or behind his back. I am not God and actually Jesus commands his followers to not judge. Rather, we are supposed to love others, even those who insult us.

Christians have been insulted by people of other beliefs for a long time... as well as many have been tortured and killed for their beliefs (some still are in some locations.) However, Christians are not supposed to insult. If this woman knew how you were insulting her (and not just her, but all Christians), I hope that she would forgive you.

As a Christian, I forgive you as well. Forgiving however does not mean just being a doormat and allowing people to walk all over one. Just as you I am sure would appreciate respect and tolerance for your not believing in God, so it is important for you to respect and tolerate people of other beliefs.

But did I tell her that? No. I thanked her for her blessing and said I need all the blessing I can get (despite the fact that I think it's a crock that does nothing).
You should have just told her that you did not believe in God, but thanks for your good will, something like that. You don't need to pretend and lie and then insult her and her belief to others.

I respect people--I don't respect everyone's "beliefs" but as long as I treat them with dignity
I don't think you know what respecting people means, or their beliefs. No, you are not treating her with dignity on this forum.

I'm entitled to privately consider what they believe to be a bunch of nonsense if the shoe fits.
Privately includes forums? If you want to joke with your Atheist friends in private about how crazy Christians are, that's fine. You can also cuss and swear and make fun of people of other beliefs or of another ethnicity or degrade women or whatever that is not illegal in the privacy of your own circle. (though why anyone would want to insult/degrade/make fun of anybody is beyond me.) :( Christians are not supposed to insult, degrade, or make fun of others, but Atheists have their own individual moral compasses which depend on the integrity of the individual, yes?

However, please kindly be aware that people who do believe in God post on forums too. They are also in the workplace... many hospitals, for example, were started by Christians, as well as many schools, as well as many charities. Christians, Muslims, Jewish Orthodox people, and other groups of people who believe in God work hard, are very intelligent, and help others. They also get on public forums, like this one, and would appreciate respect and tolerance, same as you.

My private opinion is that the type of "Christianity" most American "Christians" purport to practice is actually the antithesis of Christianity--they talk "worship" and practice a lot of fear and loathing whereas Jesus, the man or myth that I understand was not about drawing worship to himself nor damning other people for not all acting "proper".
Jesus taught to love. However, love is not about being a doormat. Love is about taking a stand for what is right, for helping the poor, for caring for others more than for oneself, for loving God. As Jesus says,

Matthew 22 (NIV)

" 34 Hearing that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees, the Pharisees got together. 35 One of them, an expert in the law, tested him with this question: 36 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?” 37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’[Deut. 6:5] 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[Lev. 19:18] 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

Maybe you wanna choose your words better--I don't disrespect anyone, I'm disgusted by the hypocrisy of the pseudo culture many people call Christianity.
Would you consider a person calling you a fool to be disrespecting you? Even though you obviously have issues with Christian people, is there a way you can use words that will make a positive difference, instead of just insulting? Edited by BetheButterfly
Do you consider calling someone who doesn't have any ill will against you a doddering ... fool to not be disrespectful? Maybe even just a little bit?

It doesn't matter that she has no idea. Actually, it is more up front and honest to tell her this:

"I find the type of religiosity shown to me by this particular woman [you] sound insane."

This is horrible advice. You really think he should go around telling random people he doesn’t even know they sound insane. That’s very confrontational and will only be perceived as disrespect.

What next you going to go into all the threads with girls complaining about “creepy” guys and tell them they have to go up to that guy at the bus stop and explain how “creepy” he is.

than to go to a forum and show extreme intolerance' date=' disrespect, and close-mindedness by calling her insulting names. Would you like someone to do that to you? Why or why not? [/quote']

He’s aloud to have his opinion.

Don’t you think Christians have a lot of intolerant ideas? I mean they want us to all think and worship their god with their names. They tell us we’ll go hell if we don’t.

Or' date=' if someone found your particular beliefs to be insane, would you rather them tell you in a kind way, or would you rather them go talk to others about you behind your back? [b']That is what this is... talking about another human being behind her back and insulting her... and she didn't do anything mean to you.[/b]

We don’t know who he is talking about. He doesn’t know who he is talking about. This doesn’t fit the definition of talking behind some ones back. He’s aloud to have his opinions.

It’s not about what she did, its about what people like her represent. The dumb of the world. They represent intolerance.

One of my friends who is an Atheist calls my beliefs crazy. He does so to my face' date=' but in such a kind and fun way that I am not offended. He has the absolute right to believe what he wants, and even some of his Christian jokes are hilarious. One of the main reasons he is a friend is because he is not a pretender. He does not be all "nice" and then stab people in the back. He says what's in his heart, but he does it in a way that is not insulting, but rather hilarious and endearing. [/quote']

Frisky doesn’t know the girl he is talking about. He probably won’t ever see her again. It would be different if your “friend” specifically went around bad mouthing you behind your back. Frisky didn’t go behind any ones back because he doesn’t know the person and neither do we.

I’m not an atheist but at the same time I don’t take religion literally or go around speaking to random people in religious terms. Your atheist friend may not bad mouth you specifically but I guarantee if he really is atheist he thinks your views are insane and not just as joke to make you laugh.

Do I understand why he is an Atheist. Yes. Do I call him a fool for not believing? No. Even though there is a Bible verse concerning those who do not believe in God being fools' date=' that does not give me the excuse or right to call him a fool, either to his face, or behind his back. I am not God and actually Jesus commands his followers to not judge. Rather, we are supposed to love others, even those who insult us. [/quote']

You personally may not be judgmental but “Breaking News!” Christianity has to be one of the most judgmental religions around with many upon many Christians who live up to that motto.

Christians have been insulted by people of other beliefs for a long time... as well as many have been tortured and killed for their beliefs (some still are in some locations.) However' date=' Christians are not supposed to insult. If this woman knew how you were insulting her (and not just her, but all Christians), I hope that she would forgive you.[/quote']

Your friend who is an atheist probably insults Christians all the time. But oh yeah its ok because he made you laugh in person. I really don’t understand your logic.

Yes Christians have suffered but so has everyone. The church has done horrible things itself everything from human sacrifice to own and branding slaves.

As a Christian' date=' I forgive you as well. [b']Forgiving however does not mean just being a doormat and allowing people to walk all over one. Just as you I am sure would appreciate respect and tolerance for your not believing in God, so it is important for you to respect and tolerate people of other beliefs. [/b]

You should have just told her that you did not believe in God, but thanks for your good will, something like that. You don't need to pretend and lie and then insult her and her belief to others.

Don’t confuse yourself. This isn’t forgiveness for it was never yours to give. All you are doing is lecturing him. You seem quite insane actually.

I don't think you know what respecting people means' date=' or their beliefs. No, you are not treating her with dignity on this forum.[/quote']

don’t think you know. You really come off as you think you are superior.

Privately includes forums? If you want to joke with your Atheist friends in private about how crazy Christians are' date=' that's fine. You can also cuss and swear and make fun of people of other beliefs or of another ethnicity or degrade women or whatever that is not illegal in the privacy of your own circle. (though why anyone would want to insult/degrade/make fun of anybody is beyond me.) :( Christians are not supposed to insult, degrade, or make fun of others, but Atheists have their own individual moral compasses which depend on the integrity of the individual, yes?[/quote']

Why is that fine. You really have no logic. You’re saying he has to keep his negative thoughts about Christianity to himself. Christians don’t keep their negative beliefs about all other religions and people to themselves. Why would they? They think their religion is the one true religion. Well I’ve got news for you, big claims invite criticism in a free society. Go move to another country and stay off the internet if you don’t want to hear any one criticizing your precious religion.

However, please kindly be aware that people who do believe in God post on forums too. They are also in the workplace... many hospitals, for example, were started by Christians, as well as many schools, as well as many charities. Christians, Muslims, Jewish Orthodox people, and other groups of people who believe in God work hard, are very intelligent, and help others. They also get on public forums, like this one, and would appreciate respect and tolerance, same as you.

Jesus taught to love. However, love is not about being a doormat. Love is about taking a stand for what is right, for helping the poor, for caring for others more than for oneself, for loving God. As Jesus says,

Matthew 22 (NIV)

" 34 Hearing that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees, the Pharisees got together. 35 One of them, an expert in the law, tested him with this question: 36 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?” 37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’[Deut. 6:5] 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[Lev. 19:18] 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

Would you consider a person calling you a fool to be disrespecting you? Even though you obviously have issues with Christian people, is there a way you can use words that will make a positive difference, instead of just insulting?

Yes many people of religion have done good things. That doesn’t say anything about the religion. That says something about people. Your argument is no different then saying the world must be flat because people thought the world was flat for so long and look at all the great things they did! Yes people think god is real and look at all the things they do! That is not proof, in fact religion is about faith.

Bottom line my advice to you is get off the internet if this bothered you for this is free speech.

Bethebutterfly - Dont worry about it! I think this is one of those jokey situations like with your atheist friend. No matter what, the viewpoint given will not be seen as an insult. It will be justified by what someone else did, who was equally intolerant.

Waste of energy.

The OP took the blessing in the way he could, thought the woman bangable but thinks she is an idiot, possibly mentally ill, which stopped him from pulling any further moves.

Average day for many. :laugh:

I tend to look for insight. There is plenty of that on the board. Just be careful because there are some on here who consider threads like this sport. There is no learning to be gained. They know it all already. Protect your heart.

Take care,

Eve x

ShooxoriNom

where to watch the full Kid Racer movie Download And Watch Shaolin Online Film Kid Racer Download The Company Men movie summary Download The Preacher's Kid Countdown to Zero Film Sales Were Can I Download The Sorcerer's Apprentice The Movie Watch Insidious Hd How To Watch The Book of Eli Movie Confessions of the DC Sniper with William Shatner: An Aftermath Special Movie Music When Can I Buy Getting High in the Barrio Film Watch The Complete Ciacho Movie Movie Posters The Dead Undead Now I Want To Watch The Full Film Of The Woman online download the Age of the Dragons fool-length Download Divx 88 Minutes Full Lenght Secretariat Film Facts Wildfire: The Arabian Heart official trailer When Can I Buy Country Strong The Movie full Glenn 3948 movie downloads Length Of Perfect Combination Movie watch Perfect Life 2010 full movie Quotes From The Movie Robot Chicken: Star Wars Episode III where to watch the Limitless film The Next Three Days Film Premiere Ultramarines: A Warhammer 40,000 Movie Film watch made from Udaan Where To Buy Tucker & Dale vs Evil The Film Download Film Forget Me Not Free Saadhyam Divx movie quotes Once Fallen Download Super Film 2010 The Karate Kid Dvdrip Watch The Roommate The Movie Full Version film theaters watch Harlem Hostel Watch La herencia Valdemar On Megavideo download Waiting for Forever new movie watch full version of Dead Cert movie Where Can I Buy Gran Torino The Film Watch Maro Charitra Movie On Computer order Icarus film

BetheButterfly
This is horrible advice. You really think he should go around telling random people he doesn’t even know they sound insane. That’s very confrontational and will only be perceived as disrespect.

As a Christian, I have had professors and friends call my beliefs insane. I do not go around talking to strangers in stores or on the streets about God (though some Christians do so.) If I did, I would know through experience talking with people who are not of my belief that many would consider me insane. Whether they have the balls to say so or pretend to believe what I do is their decision. There are "nice" ways to say something without coming off disrespectful. For example, your saying "This is horrible advice." is a relatively "nice" way of disagreeing with me without being disrespectful. You are merely expressing your opinion and are not pretending to agree with me yet calling me a fool behind my back. This is fine and worthy of respect. However, pretending to be of the same belief and then insulting the woman and her belief behind her back is extremely disrespectful.

What next you going to go into all the threads with girls complaining about “creepy” guys and tell them they have to go up to that guy at the bus stop and explain how “creepy” he is.

What is the correlation between tolerance, respect, and open-mindedness about spiritual matters/differences in beliefs with creepy guys stalking girls at bus stops?

He’s aloud to have his opinion.

Of course he is allowed to have his opinion. However, he is wrong saying he is being respectful to her and to her belief. He can degrade and insult people all his wants in private... that is his decision. However, anyone who insults or degrades people on a public forum should realize that people are going to call him out on his lack of tolerance and respect.

If any Christian comes on the forum and calls Atheists "doddering... fool" then that Christian should get called out for being disrespectful as well.

Don’t you think Christians have a lot of intolerant ideas? I mean they want us to all think and worship their god with their names. They tell us we’ll go hell if we don’t.
Christian ideas are routed in ancient history, from the lives of ancient people who experienced revelations from God. Do I think Christians have a lot of intolerant ideas? Yes, but Jesus also commanded his followers to love others and to not not insult others. Rather, Christians are supposed to forgive, do good, pray for, and help others.

About wanting others to become Christians, that desire is motivated from a desire for people to not be in pain forever. Think about this for a second. If you truly believed that God exists, and God would send everybody who didn't believe in Him to a fiery furnace where they'd be tortured forever, wouldn't you want people to become Christians too in order to be rescued from such a horrible fate? About hell though, it is an interesting concept, because in the Jewish beliefs (which Christian beliefs stem from) there is a totally different concept of hell than the Christian view. I suspect the modern Christian belief of hell is based more on Roman/Greek stories about gods then the Jewish concept, which is an interesting area to research.

We don’t know who he is talking about. He doesn’t know who he is talking about. This doesn’t fit the definition of talking behind some ones back. He’s aloud to have his opinions.

He is talking about another human being. It doesn't matter who she is. What matters is the level of respect.

It’s not about what she did, its about what people like her represent. The dumb of the world. They represent intolerance.

Lol. So, he is portraying this woman who only meant blessing to him as "the dumb of the world."? I am just curious... how was she intolerant? She has no clue that he didn't believe what she did... because he didn't say so...she didn't have an opportunity to show tolerance about his not believing in God since he did not tell her.

Frisky doesn’t know the girl he is talking about. He probably won’t ever see her again. It would be different if your “friend” specifically went around bad mouthing you behind your back. Frisky didn’t go behind any ones back because he doesn’t know the person and neither do we.

You never know. He could meet her again. "it's a small world after all.'

I’m not an atheist but at the same time I don’t take religion literally or go around speaking to random people in religious terms. Your atheist friend may not bad mouth you specifically but I guarantee if he really is atheist he thinks your views are insane and not just as joke to make you laugh.
I agree that my Atheist friend thinks my views are insane. We have had plenty of conversations about it, and I understand. He does not have a mean streak in him though. He is a very good person and he is actually a kinder person than some people I know who do believe in God.

Personally, I understand completely how many people do not believe in God. Why? Because people don't see God with their eyes. Many don't hear Him with their ears. You can't touch God, though He is everywhere. You can't taste Him. You can't smell Him. Death happens. Injustice and rape and violence and hurtful things abound on the earth. So, of course it is extremely understandable why many people think the belief in God, who is All Loving and Good and Perfect and Wonderful, to not exist.

You personally may not be judgmental but “Breaking News!” Christianity has to be one of the most judgmental religions around with many upon many Christians who live up to that motto.

I think that's because in some places, Jesus' teachings are not being taught as much as just the concept of being rescued from hell is being taught. Jesus' teachings are meant to be obeyed, and following Jesus doesn't just mean a ticket away from hell.

Your friend who is an atheist probably insults Christians all the time. But oh yeah its ok because he made you laugh in person. I really don’t understand your logic.

Christians joke about ourselves too. I don't know if you have ever heard jokes about different denominations... Baptists, Methodists, Presbyterians, Pentecostals, and so on, and how each group changes a light bulb, and different other jokes. Many Christians have a sense of humor too. Atheists are not the only people with a sense of humor, you know, and since i know my Atheist friend, and know what a good and kind person he is, I know he likes to see the funny side to everything, including "crazy" Christians. :)

Yes Christians have suffered but so has everyone. The church has done horrible things itself everything from human sacrifice to own and branding slaves.

True :(

Don’t confuse yourself. This isn’t forgiveness for it was never yours to give. All you are doing is lecturing him. You seem quite insane actually.

Lol to the insane remark. You learn quick. :p

Anybody can forgive if they get offended. it did offend me (and other Christians) that he is being so disrespectful and intolerant of Christian beliefs on a public forum. If this was an Atheist forum, that'd make sense. But, this forum is for people of all different beliefs, yes?

Anyways back to forgiveness. If someone insult my sister. I would get offended. Would you, if someone insulted your sister (if you have a sister?) If you get offended, then you can also forgive the offender.

don’t think you know. You really come off as you think you are superior.

How?

Why is that fine. You really have no logic. You’re saying he has to keep his negative thoughts about Christianity to himself. Christians don’t keep their negative beliefs about all other religions and people to themselves. Why would they? They think their religion is the one true religion. Well I’ve got news for you, big claims invite criticism in a free society. Go move to another country and stay off the internet if you don’t want to hear any one criticizing your precious religion.
Actually, you just disagree with me, but yes I have logic. Since he has the right to be disrespectful to other beliefs, I have the right to point that out.

Yes many people of religion have done good things. That doesn’t say anything about the religion. That says something about people.

If you study Jesus' teachings, you will see why there are so many hospitals and schools and charities that have been started by Christians, because these Christians are following Jesus' teachings. Yes it says something about people, people who other people claim are insane since they believe in God...

Your argument is no different then saying the world must be flat because people thought the world was flat for so long and look at all the great things they did! Yes people think god is real and look at all the things they do! That is not proof, in fact religion is about faith.

I am saying that the Christians who have started these places, like St. John's (or other hospitals named after saints) Hospital or YMCA or the Red Cross or Harvard or Yale or Princeton, is because of what they believed. Again, if you study Jesus' teachings, they show why people who believed what Jesus said began these institutions.

Let's take Clara Barton, for example. Clara Barton is the founder of the American Red Cross. The following is a quote from http://www.spiritualitytoday.org/spir2day/884034jewett.html. I boldened a lot.

"During her efforts to involve the United States with the Red Cross, Clara was often accused of being anti-Christ and not being a practicing Christian. It was widely known that regular church attendance was not one of her strong points. Clara answered her critics by saying, "I suppose I am not what the world denominates a church woman. I lay no claims to it. I firmly believe in the divinity of Jesus Christ, the Jesus of Nazareth, in his life and death, of suffering to save the world from sin, so far as in His power to do."

Further proof of Clara's reliance on God can be found in a favorite Bible passage she often quoted: "In as much as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren ye have done it unto me" (Matt. 25:40). In reference to this verse Clara said, "I never in my life performed a day's work in the field that was not grounded on that one little sentence, and that it did not come to me hourly till kindly sleep brought relief to both body and soul."

She often declared that her Lord's approbation and good will were her final reward. "If acceptable to Him who gave us the courage, protection, and strength to perform it, we need care little more." Clara never failed to give credit and the glory for her many accomplishments to God. It was usual for her, at the end of any relief project, to hold a service giving thanks to and praising God."

Probably those who call Christians crazy would include this wonderful woman, Clara Barton, in their crazy list. However, because of her love for God, she helped countless people, using her beliefs as the passion that drove her to be a blessing to others, even to those who might have called her crazy.

Bottom line my advice to you is get off the internet if this bothered you for this is free speech.

My advice to you is to learn other's viewpoints, including the viewpoints of those who stand up against intolerance and disrespect. Edited by BetheButterfly
Bethebutterfly - Dont worry about it! I think this is one of those jokey situations like with your atheist friend. No matter what, the viewpoint given will not be seen as an insult. It will be justified by what someone else did, who was equally intolerant.

Waste of energy.

The OP took the blessing in the way he could, thought the woman bangable but thinks she is an idiot, possibly mentally ill, which stopped him from pulling any further moves.

Average day for many. :laugh:

I tend to look for insight. There is plenty of that on the board. Just be careful because there are some on here who consider threads like this sport. There is no learning to be gained. They know it all already. Protect your heart.

Good advice.

I have no ill-will against the OP, but find it laughably intolerant and arrogant of him to say:

"Well, I don't believe any of that nonsense she believes ("...see, I'm a superior atheist") but still, I would love to bang her (and see if she really believes that...)....

Here's some news, Frisky:

All men and women have sexual feelings and needs. The woman you met by chance is no diff. than others.

She for religous or other reasons (she's not a player, STDs, wanting to fall in love first) decides she's not gonna let guy after guy nail her.

She may or may not be a virgin. She may regret her past (like many women). It's her life.

I know some women on this board I've PM'd that have faith yet aren't virgins but they've changed.

If you're not compatible with a woman like that, move on.

Edited by Floridaman
I then told her that I was annoyed with the service there because they made me wait for something they never had in stock in the first place. With that she said "I'm praying to the Lord that Jesus take all your pain away and keep you blessed in the comfort of the Holy Spirit"...Could you sex somebody up who you thought was a doddering religious fool? :p

Well, I wouldn't have sex with somebody who I regarded as a doddering fool - religious or otherwise.

"I'm praying for your pain to be taken away..."conjures up visions of somebody languishing in the trenches while a comrade who can't do anything practical for them is trying to offer a few words of comfort in their final seconds. My response would probably be to reassure them that I was fine.

I think when somebody suddenly comes out with a comment that seems out of kilter with the general conversation you've been having with them, it's often that there's something about themselves they want to clarify but they're not sure how to go about it. So in a situation where a woman has been chatting to a man she likes, "I'll pray for you" might be a clumsy way of letting him know that she is a churchgoer. Some men might be really pleased about that if they're also active Christians, while others could regard it as a deal-breaker as you did.

Inside however I thought she was certifiably insane. So, I faced the question: "could I have some kind of fling with someone who regularly spoke in terms like that?"

And the answer was that it just wouldn't be right of me to have sex with someone so "religiositous" because I don't respect the belief at all.

Funny. She could have the same (unfounded and irrational) fears toward you:

it just wouldn't be right of me to have sex with someone so "ANTI-religiositous"

I have no ill-will against the OP, but find it laughably intolerant and arrogant of him to say:

"Well, I don't believe any of that nonsense she believes ("...see, I'm a superior atheist") but still, I would love to bang her (and see if she really believes that...)....

I find believing you are going to some big magical place in the sky to live with god and angels while the rest suffer in hell laughable, so does most of the world, including Christians who don’t take the bible literally.

Here's some news, Frisky:

All men and women have sexual feelings and needs. The woman you met by chance is no diff. than others.

She for religous or other reasons (she's not a player, STDs, wanting to fall in love first) decides she's not gonna let guy after guy nail her.

She may or may not be a virgin. She may regret her past (like many women). It's her life.

You’re off topic and making up facts about Frisky.

I know some women on this board I've PM'd that have faith yet aren't virgins but they've changed.

If you're not compatible with a woman like that, move on.

Why are you sending PM’s to women on here about this stuff?