dating someone with a roommate of the opposite sex

dreamergrl

I wouldn't have an issue with it. Over the years I had many male room mates- especially while in University. I've also dated guys with female room mates over the years and it was never a problem.

SoulSearch_CO
So..hypothetically speaking.. if a guy I was dating had an issue with it, how would you react, knowing how me and my roomie are lol

"Dude? Seriously? Have you ever had an urge to get it on with your sister? Then chill out." LOL

I'd be fine with it. Even more fine if they'd been living together for a long time.

Do the opposers seriously think all male-female roommate arrangements involve drama and/or sex? I would bet this is far from the case.

If someone wants to cheat, they don't need to live with a person of the opposite sex to do it.

If I were dating a guy who had a female roommate, it would bother me somewhat. Mostly because I am naturally a jealous/paranoid person. Now if I knew the whole situation and was able to meet the roommate then I might feel a bit better about the arrangement. You better believe that I would know the whole situation before we ever became serious. Like if he was all secretive about it and things weren't adding up etc. then that would be a dealbreaker. Other than that, I would just have to get used to it....not necessarily a dealbreaker if everything were out in the open.

I think I can relate to this. Not in the roommate sense, but the idea of not knowing why something bothers me, it just does. Kind of like what you are saying?

Yes. It just bothers me and I don't need to further evaluate why it bothers me. The simple fact that it does is good enough for me.

This makes sense! I think my gut feeling used to be useless to me at one point. I'd confuse it with anxiety and insecurity.

Well, I thought that women were interested in me when they weren't in the least interested and I thought that women weren't interested in me when they were very much interested. I might as well toss a coin.

You are right though, sometimes you have to rely on past experiences, and perhaps doing it this way, you can relate the outcome to what your gut was saying, and see if it matches up? Ugh I don't think that made any sense. I'm not quite sure how to word what I'm trying to say :laugh:

I am indeed afraid I can't follow your thoughts there. Sorry :o

Personally, I would avoid it. It's not a good situation to be dating a woman who is living with another man, unless he's her brother. I'm not being jealous; just realistic. The same goes for a woman who has a lot of close male friends-- if these men are Very Taken (e.g. in long-term, serious relationships) and you trust them, it's fine; but otherwise, avoid it.

I'd be fine with it for the same reasons I'd be fine with a woman having male coworkers. The potential for "cheating" can happen anywhere, really, and so that isn't so much my concern. I'd ideally like to be able to trust in someone I was dating, and so if that trust weren't there, she'd be gone anyway if there were too many red flags. The way I see it, I'd want to be able to trust in someone such that I don't care how many guys she interacts with as long as she's faithful (physically and emotionally) to me.

The roommate thing is one of those situations where I wouldn't cause drama or fuss over it unless there was reason to. By itself, it's a harmless situation. I think most people would be upset over it because of the "intimacy" of sharing the same space between roommates. You learn things about each other that are quite personal that may not be normally shared in a standard friendship. Not everyone is okay with that form of intimacy being shared.

But honestly, I don't care if some guy happens to know that a girl I was seeing whistles in her sleep or uses a certain type of shampoo or enjoys butter on both sides of her toast -- as long as she's mine, she's mine. :p

As I previously mentioned, in order to live with a member of opposite sex. I believe there should be absolutely NO chemistry or attraction towards each other at all.

For instance, a really attractive female and a totally dorky guy would probably be a good match for roommates. I doubt they will be jumping in the sack together at any point in time. And I'm sure whoever is dating the girl will totally be aware of that without further questioning. :laugh:

Guys - if the girl you were seeing had a male roommate? Would it ever make you feel uncomfortable?

Girls would it bother you if the guy you were starting to date had a female roommate?

I don't think it would be a good idea of having a female roommate, esp. a hot one...I'd be always hitting on her. LOL