Is it disrespectful to end a two year affair over email?

I am a firm believer in do what you need to do.

Doesn't matter how you do it, the end result is still the same.

I broke up with mine over the phone. I mean let's be real, how many OW see their MM every day? I wasn't about to get an ulcer knowing what I was going to do in a week. Much more effective over the phone. No drawn out goodbye's or him trying to change your mind.

Disrespect? Disrespect is treating someone like they're second place. Disrespect is expecting your OW to be faithful when you go home and sleep with your W. Disrespect is expecting to end if first and getting pissed off when she beats you to the punch.

The ends justify the means in this case.

GEL

I love this post! It sums up my feelings with the bolded line.

When I was OW to my engaged guy, I broke up with him face-to-face only because it was really in the moment. I had just found out that I wasn't the "only" OW. Now THAT to me is serious disrespect.

You are so right with the "do what you have to do" part. Because no matter how we do it, someone is going to take issue with it. The way I did it was considered "rash" by my friends. But it was the best thing for me.

• Author

Day two. Feel horrendous, daren't switch phone back on as not strong enough to read any 'please come back' messages from MM.

Can't stop thinking of the good times - need to focus on the bad times/how lonely I felt during the relationship.

I am starting to feel angry towards him too which may help me.

Off back to bed, wish he was in it...damn did I say that?

Thanks guys, you are the best

Just re read your post when you said you were a broken woman. The fact is you are probably hurting no more now than you were a week ago.

The difference is when you were still in it you had the hope that things would change. Now you are closing the lid on that dream.

Hope is a powerful thing that can help people to overcome intense emotional pain.

But if you can reframe it (i know its early days) you have freed yourself from that prison of hoping that someone who has SAID he wont leave and cant give you more would change his mind. Or that they would somehow separate so that he would be free to be with you.

In its place you have the possibility of a new life with someone who can give you everything you want and deserve. It will take time but as the says pass you will cherish that newfound freedom.

Hang in there