Natural Hair in the workplace

• Author
TwinkletOes26
AA hair must be really hard to style, or obviously this would not be an issue. I still think calling it a race issue is quite a reach. Sleek hair , at the moment, is trendy. I tell my daughter every morning while she is applying products, blow drying, and straightening...that soon Big Hair will come back and she will be all set. So, what is acceptable and the norm is dictated by many variables - the nature of your employer, your own personal style, and fashion trends. AA hair is just a LOT harder to style...I get that now.

But. Those little knots...is it me or do they not look like a bunch of door knobs on your head??

Thats RACIST :p:p:p:lmao::lmao: i keed i keed but seriously thats all they are little buns all over your head to form your hair into spirally curls without heat lol.

It is a lot harder to style as in changing it from curl to straight. My hair is super thick too so its double hard it take two hours to flat iron :(:(. I have to flat iron every little piece but thats just my hair some aa have hair that easier to style. My mother has a looser curl patter than i do.

Im not talking about a huge afro here im talking about the style examples i showed.

Those two styles you showed - the short, and the spiral curls - are perfectly fine in the workplace. No one would have a problem with hiring someone who had their hair like either style. The key with the curly styles is to make sure hair isn't sticking out all over the place, like you just walked through a windstorm (or just had sex :lmao:). If it's long and curly, something to help control it (headband, ponytail, bun, braids pulled back, etc.) so it and YOU don't appear out of control is fine.

Even straight hair, if it's long and looks out of control, can be an issue in terms of projecting a professional image. Mine is longish and wavy, and I blow it dry to straighten for work, but more often than not, I pull it back or put it up somehow so it's not my hair my managers are focusing on, but what I'm saying.

But I agree with 2sure. Right now, the style fashion trend is toward straight hair. In the 80's, it was curly and big and women were getting their hair permed left and right at the beauty salon. Anyone see Melanie Griffith in the movie Working Girl?? Wait a few years, and the trend will go back to curly and all the straight hair women will be breaking out the hot rollers and perms again.

I agree neat and tidy is a must for work. Some people sadly are of the belief that you arent polished unless your hair is straight. I mean is this ladys hair unprofessional

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.womensbeautylife.com/albums/Hair-styles-for-older-woman/older_African_American_women_hairstyle_with_natural_crop.jpg&imgrefurl=http://womensbeautylife.com/gallery/Hair-styles-for-older-woman/older_African_American_women_hairstyle_with_natural_crop&usg=__DyZ25HG8i6UDeEPHyJXEjkLRr48=&h=343&w=309&sz=24&hl=en&start=4&um=1&tbnid=bCBmAMXEZyqpzM:&tbnh=120&tbnw=108&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dnatural%2Bhairstyles%2Bfor%2Bblack%2Bwomen%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1

or her which btw is what the result of the bantu knots are suppose to be

http://www.2009haircuts.info/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/42.jpeg

I think both are nice and neat wouldnt you all agree?

I think both of those styles are fine and professional, and must admit that I REALLY like the second one.

• 4 weeks later...
p.s. shygirl, I don't know what race you are, I am not calling you a racist, though people of all races can be racist against other races or even their own. But I certainly would not call you that from that post and just having met you. If you are a black woman, you might also have some psychological reasons in your background for being uncomfortable with what you call kinky hair in other black women or men, which I could not understand.

So to clarify, I was not calling YOU racist, just this way of thinking, and did not mean to single you out or attack you.

Hey, no, no, no. I'm not worried about people calling me racist because I know I'm not. I LOOOVE my "sistas/brothas" and other races too. I just think there's a time and place for certain hairstyles and some are just simply not appropriate for workplace. There are certain caucasian hairstyles I see around my office and think they are also inappropriate for the office. For me, it's about hair and how decent it looks, and not race.

Wishing you a very happy weekend :)