Anyone else feel like men get less out of relationshisp than women?

It's about more than just one TV show. The message that men and fathers are unneeded extras in the family permeates society and yes it does have an effect on men's self image even if it is subconcious. The fact is that much of society sees us as nothing more than disposable sperm donors and a check.

The fact is that much of society sees us as nothing more than disposable sperm donors and a check.

Well, you're half right... ;)

It's about more than just one TV show. The message that men and fathers are unneeded extras in the family permeates society and yes it does have an effect on men's self image even if it is subconcious. The fact is that much of society sees us as nothing more than disposable sperm donors and a check.

And you found this "fact" where, Woggle? Please cite something REAL as the basis for this fact...not opinion, not personal observation, but a real study done scientifically that shows that much of society sees men as nothing more than that.

And you found this "fact" where, Woggle? Please cite something REAL as the basis for this fact...not opinion, not personal observation, but a real study done scientifically that shows that much of society sees men as nothing more than that.

It's pretty much obvious

It's pretty much obvious

Nope...again, that's opinion and/or personal observation...I want to know how society has been proven to be lumped into one nice little package where we all place no more value on men than their sperm & paychecks...

You're wasting your time HsMomma.:lmao::rolleyes:

I know, Pyro, I know:p

I think I'll spend the next little while being more productive & go bang my head against a wall...whaddaya think?:laugh:

I know, Pyro, I know:p

I think I'll spend the next little while being more productive & go bang my head against a wall...whaddaya think?:laugh:

Thats much more productive.:laugh:

Thats much more productive.:laugh:

I figure at least then, my energy's not being wasted, right?:lmao: I may still get a headache from it, but it will be of my own doing!

I figure at least then, my energy's not being wasted, right?:lmao: I may still get a headache from it, but it will be of my own doing!

Right on.:lmao:

Please feel free to pull a shotgun on me the day I even give a small fragment of a hint of trying to blame women for all problems that have existed through time.

There's nothing here that I disagree with :). Specifically the part about prevailing images (and their ridiculousness) about what's masculine and what's not. Well duh - just turn on the TV and start watching any sitcom - the father is usually the dutifully providing, slightly idiotic drone, the mother is the hero that manages both the household and him. It doesn't matter that any person with 1 brain cell understands that this is just crappy television. It still broadcasts and instills an image of what's normal and expected and such templates are internalized at least to some extent, whether we like it or not.

I need to say that I completely agree with what is stated here. The biggest problem with the prevailing images on television is that most of the people who watch this standard television fare are children - whose minds ARE molded by television and this perception of what is "normal".

When my children were small I attempted to stop this by stringently limiting television, however, all of their friends had basically unfettered access, so they were still affected by the stereotypes shown on the box.

(I personally watch little to no TV, and haven't seen a sitcom in many many years. I'm certain they are much worse now than they were when I was raising kids.)

Right on.:lmao:

Please feel free to pull a shotgun on me the day I even give a small fragment of a hint of trying to blame women for all problems that have existed through time.

Will a .38 do? I don't own a shotgun!:p

I need to say that I completely agree with what is stated here. The biggest problem with the prevailing images on television is that most of the people who watch this standard television fare are children - whose minds ARE molded by television and this perception of what is "normal".

Ok, I'll go so far as to agree with the fact that children's minds do indeed absorb a lot of what they watch on tv; however, don't you think it's our responsibility as parents (both mother & father) to teach our children to respect people regardless of gender? I mean, I grew up watching Archie Bunker, but wasn't raised to believe that that's what men were really like.

Isn't it up to us as parents to debunk the myths portrayed on tv? I also never believed life was like 90210, Melrose Place or Sesame Street, either...'cause I was taught differently.

(I personally watch little to no TV, and haven't seen a sitcom in many many years...)

Boy do I agree with this! My wife and I are very selective of what we watch and we do not watch sitcoms. To me, most of what's shown on TV is junk-food for the brain.