How much do parents get to control the wedding?

Have any of you tried whole wheat or cracked wheat wedding cakes? It's to die for. :love:

Ours will be with whole wheat, fresh blueberries, with whipped cream icing. All natural, great taste and great texture!

*waits for the eewwwww* :laugh:

:lmao::laugh: I just fell off my chair! Too funny! Uhm, TBF dear you CAN let go on your wedding day and eat WHITE FLOUR you know! I know, HORRORS!:eek:

OMG, hilarious. That's even funnier than our carrot cake.

YIKES, on the cake! OMG...but as long as you enjoyed it. So don't laugh...guess what kind of cake Mr. T wanted? Carrot cake! WTF? Who has carrot cake as a wedding cake? :laugh: But I agreed and went along with it. Funny but it's never been my favorite but ever since then, I've loved it. It was the BEST carrot cake ever. I'm not kidding.

Yes, we picked the music together too and had a lot of fun before the wedding also. Do you have video of it? Even though we got married in the dark ages...1995, we have video. I treasure it. Hey, maybe I'll post ours on youtube.

LOL, I have been to a wedding that had carrot cake. Cream cheese icing does keep it within theme!

We spent US$260 for a cake- how much do they cost there? Ours wasn't actually as expensive as it could have been. And we didn't have to pay the caterers for dessert either so that worked out.

That cake artist guy on TV "world of cakes" or whatever its called charges more than US$250 that for his- I know a couple who spent well over 1000 British POUNDS which is nearly US$2000- WHICH IS RIDICULOUS. IMHO.

amaysngrace

I thought some couples saved the top tier to be used as a christening cake for their first child? (:eek:)

Oh no. It'd be the size of a cracker. :laugh:

Trialbyfire
It's horrible. It becomes half the size due to shrinkage and the taste...OMG. :sick::lmao:
:laugh: It goes well with the roll of toilet paper for the paper anniversary!

:lmao::laugh: I just fell off my chair! Too funny! Uhm, TBF dear you CAN let go on your wedding day and eat WHITE FLOUR you know! I know, HORRORS!:eek:

Hey, I love carrot cake, especially when made with whole or cracked wheat flour. It's delicious! :D

That is pretty funny. I was BM at a wedding last year and one of the vegetarian guests took her own little pack of pistachio nuts to add to her meal "just in case the vege option didn't have enough protein".... surely she wasn't going to get kwashikor from ONE meal....:rolleyes:

Touche- yes we do have a video, somewhere, and we will see it when my brother "gets around" to editing it.

LOL, I have been to a wedding that had carrot cake. Cream cheese icing does keep it within theme!

Yep, it had cream cheese icing...hmmm, was he trying to tell me something? Foreshadowing? :lmao: Wow, that's cool that you went to another wedding that had carrot cake. I thought it was soooo weird that we did. But TBF's wheat or rice cakes or whatever tops that! ahahaha

We spent US$260 for a cake- how much do they cost there? Ours wasn't actually as expensive as it could have been. And we didn't have to pay the caterers for dessert either so that worked out.

Honestly I don't remember but I'm sure we paid nowhere near that for the cake. The cake was his domain.;)

That cake artist guy on TV "world of cakes" or whatever its called charges more than US$250 that for his- I know a couple who spent well over 1000 British POUNDS which is nearly US$2000- WHICH IS RIDICULOUS. IMHO.

Our son LOVES that show! He always makes me watch it with him. They're artists aren't they? But yeah, I mean come on...I'd never pay that for a cake. That's just crazy.

:laugh: It goes well with the roll of toilet paper for the paper anniversary!

Hey, I love carrot cake, especially when made with whole or cracked wheat flour. It's delicious! :D

:lmao::lmao:

That is pretty funny. I was BM at a wedding last year and one of the vegetarian guests took her own little pack of pistachio nuts to add to her meal "just in case the vege option didn't have enough protein".... surely she wasn't going to get kwashikor from ONE meal....:rolleyes:

Touche- yes we do have a video, somewhere, and we will see it when my brother "gets around" to editing it.

:laugh::lmao:

OMG, you gals are hysterical!

SB, I can't believe you haven't gotten your wedding video yet! Put a fire under your bro already! I loved your wedding pics though. They were beautiful. It really looked like a classy affair.

Now I'm craving carrot cake, and it's bikini season. Thanks alot. :mad:

Try it with whole or cracked wheat flour instead. :p

Anyway, isn't it ALWAYS bikini season out your way?

• Author
Star Gazer
Anyway, isn't it ALWAYS bikini season out your way?

I don't live in San Diego or Palm Springs, so that'd be a no. :)

(I ski, remember?)

Lauriebell82
You're not being brought in, LB. You were already here. ;)

Touche was merely using the example of "huge" being relative, and I totally understand what she's getting at.

To you, your ring is huge. I have small hands too, and do not consider one carat huge. My BF's brother's fiance has TEENY hands, and her ring (the main rock anyway) is 1.64 carats, and she doesn't think that is huge either. It's all relative.

Yeah I suppose. I'm a little upset/disappointed because one of my bridesmaids found out she is pregnant and can't be in the wedding. So I'm a little on edge.:(

• Author
Star Gazer
Yeah I suppose. I'm a little upset/disappointed because one of my bridesmaids found out she is pregnant and can't be in the wedding. So I'm a little on edge.:(

If your wedding is in September 2010 (am I right, not this year?), she won't still be pregnant. :)

Why can't she be in the wedding? TWO of my bridesmaids were pregnant....

One was 6 weeks and the other was about 4 months.

Oops, I meant the wedding budget! Sheesh... :o

TBF, I've NEVER had a bride offer to pay for my bridesmaid dress.

LB, this is what I mean about bridezilla irritating the crap out of everybody.

A friend, presumably a very good friend or you wouldn't have asked her to be a bridesmaid, just found out she's about to have a baby. I'm going to guess that's an exciting, amazing thing for her - bringing a new life into the world!

Be happy and excited for her, instead of edgy about how it's going to upset your wedding plans. Just go with the flow and don't let it upset you.

Anyway, why can't she be a bridesmaid? If she's pregnant now, she'll have already given birth by next year September.

I don't live in San Diego or Palm Springs, so that'd be a no. :)

(I ski, remember?)

Yep, I remember. I know where you live. We've looked each other up, right? Oh wait... no. That was just you who looked me up. :p I have no clue where you live.

Anyway, which would you rather have...some delicious carrot cake or a bikini body? :laugh:

Why can't she be in the wedding? TWO of my bridesmaids were pregnant....

One was 6 weeks and the other was about 4 months.

LB, this is what I mean about bridezilla irritating the crap out of everybody.

A friend, presumably a very good friend or you wouldn't have asked her to be a bridesmaid, just found out she's about to have a baby. I'm going to guess that's an exciting, amazing thing for her - bringing a new life into the world!

Be happy and excited for her, instead of edgy about how it's going to upset your wedding plans. Just go with the flow and don't let it upset you.

Anyway, why can't she be a bridesmaid? If she's pregnant now, she'll have already given birth by next year September.

Wow, wow, wow.

Oh wow. Mmmm, Mmmm, Mmmm....I better keep my lips zipped...or my typing fingers to myself as the case may be.

Trialbyfire
Everytime I've been in a wedding party, my dress, shoes, hair, makeup and thank-you gifts were paid for, by the wedding couple. The reverse also held true, where I paid. The same thing will be happening with my upcoming wedding.

The attendants paid for the bachelor/bachelorette party and surprise shower(s).

• Author
Star Gazer
Everytime I've been in a wedding party, my dress, shoes, hair, makeup and thank-you gifts were paid for, by the wedding couple. The reverse also held true, where I paid. The same thing will be happening with my upcoming wedding.

The attendants paid for the bachelor/bachelorette party and surprise shower(s).

What a lucky BM you were!

I was sincerely pissed at my BFF. She didn't get her bridal party anything, nevermind pay for our attire. No little thank you gift, no cheap a$$ jewelry for the day-of, nada, zip, zilch, nothin'!

Trialbyfire
I was sincerely pissed at my BFF. She didn't get her bridal party anything, nevermind pay for our attire. No little thank you gift, no cheap a$$ jewelry for the day-of, nada, zip, zilch, nothin'!
I think some form of thank-you, at minimum, is necessary. If you consider how much time and effort your bridal party gives, the least you can do is to say thanks. :mad:

While not as many as 27 dresses (:laugh:), I have a number of MH and BM outfits that I'll never wear again. Same goes with my friends. It just doesn't seem fair to force someone to pay for something, that you, as the bride and groom, want.

I think some form of thank-you, at minimum, is necessary. If you consider how much time and effort your bridal party gives, the least you can do is to say thanks. :mad:

While not as many as 27 dresses (:laugh:), I have a number of MH and BM outfits that I'll never wear again. Same goes with my friends. It just doesn't seem fair to force someone to pay for something, that you, as the bride and groom, want.

I wish the couples I'd stood up for had agreed with you. Factor in travel and hotel costs, bridal shower and wedding gifts, bachelorette party, plus all the prep effort and the ugly-ass dresses, and wedding duties...well, you have to really love your friends to agree to be a bridesmaid when it's pretty thankless all the way around.

Wow, wow, wow.

Oh wow. Mmmm, Mmmm, Mmmm....I better keep my lips zipped...or my typing fingers to myself as the case may be.

Now where is the fun in that?

See guys? This is ALL soooo stupid and pointless. Why is a wedding creating ill-will? I don't know about you but I'd hate to think that I played any role in contributing to that.

And what the hell is an "attendant?" Is that along the lines of an usher?:confused: Seriously...not poking fun (well sort of) but I really don't know what an attendant does/is.

I dont get it. I just wanted my loved ones...not people who have job titles. I'm sorry but it's just all so foreign to me.

I'd be happy for those who have equally as exciting things going on in their lives during the same time. I'd have them in mind as I celebrated my own joys in life. If anyone thinks differently, then I'd question whether they're really ready for marriage. Trust me, marriage will present you with WAY bigger surprises than the fact that your bridesmaid (one of them) came up pregnant and is not able to attend your wedding.

That ain't nuthin' honey! If that's freaking you out, you better re-think the idea of marriage....just sayin'.

And as for those I didn't invite (family or otherwise) I'd explain that my wedding was only for immediate family, as agreed between my fiance' and I... but that if it weren't just immediate family we would have loved to have them there and hope to get together soon.

Now where is the fun in that?

:lmao: You little pot-stirrer you! You're worse than SG! :lmao:

Well, too late. I already kind of spewed what I thought.

But might as well be totally honest...

LB PM'd me, as well as some others I'm sure, about the engagement (before she announced it here publicly) and I never replied. Why? Because I really didn't know how to respond. I'm not a fake person. I just didn't know what to say.

What's etiquette-ly (I think that was SG's made up word) appropriate in situations like this? What if you think it's a mistake? Do you act like you think it's great? Or do you not respond at all, like I did.

I have lots to say about that. I have experience in my own family with that very question.

So anyway...wasn't really sure how to handle that one. I wonder what you all think?

If you don't support the marriage, do you still congratulate the couple and even attend their wedding? That's a tough one, isn't it?

Weddings are like LS threads- someone will ALWAYS get their nose out of joint.. :)

The people who did at my wedding were the extended family members that I barely see and who, had I had total control over the guest list, probably wouldn't even have been invited.

And the people that caused ructions at my dads funeral were distant relatives who I barely knew.

I agree with Touche a little on the whole extended family thing- i have had my fill of extended/ distant family enough for the next ten years.

Ah Touche- I am a little bored, and yes, am stirring the pot a little. :D

You have raised some good points- I don't know what you would do if you didn't agree with the wedding but you were invited.

My brothers fiancee isn't really my favourite person on the planet, and I really really hope they don't go through with their marriage- but at the moment they haven't made any plans and things aren't too crash hot in their house so heres hoping.

I guess I would have to suck it in and go and smile and nod for my mothers sake if they were to go through with it. Don't know- tough one.

As for LB- well..... I know the history as far as what she has posted on here.

I can't say I have a strong opinion either way TBH- either it will work out or it won't, but I am happy that she has got what she wanted in terms of an engagement. Lots of people said that even that would never happen.

Only time will tell whether some of the other predictions come true, and she is a work in progress (as we all are) after all.