How much do parents get to control the wedding?

Trialbyfire
Ha! I can only imagine what a fru-fru invitation looks like! :laugh:

I like your way of doing things. SB's wedding seemed to have the same elegance. Absolutely lovely.

One suggestion had the invitations coming in...packages...due to all the crap attached. :sick:

While yes, they were..interesting and...errr...different...to look at, not our style. S. almost fell over laughing, looking at them! I was stunned into seconds of silence and then started laughing.

As it stands, the invitations ordered are simple and traditional. They have a raised border, a little in from the edge and that's about it for fru-fru! Thick ecru coloured paper, with raised writing in traditional script, somewhere between black and silver, not quite charcoal.

The bridal party outfits are still in limbo. I haven't decided what to wear, so the wedding colours, etc., are still on hold. You should have seen the outfits for everyone, including myself, previously suggested. Ahahahahahahaha....NOT!

• Author
One suggestion had the invitations coming in...packages...due to all the crap attached. :sick:

While yes, they were..interesting and...errr...different...to look at, not our style. S. almost fell over laughing, looking at them! I was stunned into seconds of silence and then started laughing.

Haha! :lmao:

BF and I recently received a gaudy invitation. It was on silver lame cardstock with a purple backing with scallopped edges, a weird bright purple embossed (almost glittery) font, and a big shiny bow on it. I laughed out loud. :laugh:

:lmao:

Invitations seem to drive so much angst and endless hours of decision-making.

I confess I'm at a loss as to why, since you know where they end up once the RSVP card is returned...

BF and I recently received a gaudy invitation. It was on silver lame cardstock with a purple backing with scallopped edges, a weird bright purple embossed (almost glittery) font, and a big shiny bow on it. I laughed out loud. :laugh:

:lmao::lmao: That sounds...... HORRENDOUS!

Purple + glittery = bad combination IMHO....

Wonderboy was in charge of our invitations. He designed them himself and they were made to look like a postcard with a little film strip of photos of us travelling down one side of them. I thought they were great. I think they cost us about 50cents (US.30cents) each from memory.

New Zealanders are pretty understated in general when it comes to events like weddings, although the wedding business seems to have picked up a little somewhat in the last 5 years since weddings came back into fashion.

We did alot of our wedding planning from the UK where celeb weddings are often held up as golden standards (Jordans wedding to Peter Andre??)

See pics

here

we couldn't believe what was out there to have at your wedding in the UK- hence the hilarity at the monogrammed catalogue!

Sounds like things can go either way in the US too... I have seen Bridezillas the TV show.... its strangely addictive!

I would love to actually go to a big frou frou wedding just once as a social experiment.

Purple + glittery = bad combination IMHO....

Purple and silver were very in colors...back in the mid-80's...when Prince was really popular. ;)

Yeah- that was when I was about 10, and I LOVED purple and silver glittery things.

Maybe the bride in SGs story started planning her wedding when she was 10?

I can't remember being too into brides etc when i was a kid, but if I had been planning it from 10 years of age, purple and glitter would probably have featured. :)

Someone brought up about real fru fru weddings and wanting to go to one..was it you SB? Well that and SG's tacky wedding invitation, made me think about the other end of the spectrum. Has anyone been to a really low-budget wedding?

I mean my second one was low-budget, for lack of a better term, but very tasteful. I'm not talking about that kind.

I'll give you an example. I've been to two weddings that took place in church basements. It was stark, no windows, depressing really. I'd rather have a wedding at the local park.

Oh and really cheap and tacky paper decorations....like a big white paper wedding bell.:laugh: Paper tablecloths, etc.

Have any of you been to a tacky wedding like that?

I have been to a low budget wedding- registry office, then we all went out for drinks and dinner, I think there were 50 guests in total, and the bride wore a cream wool suit.

No flowers, no bridesmaids, no groomsmen, no cars, no decorations, no favours, no DJ, etc etc.

It was a nice wedding. It was memorable because it was so low key. The couple in question are both family and close friends of mine.

Tacky wedding, tacky wedding- trying to think..... no.

I have seen photos of few though (yay facebook) does that count?

mental_traveller

He who pays the piper calls the tune. That's why it's best IMO to pay for a wedding yourself - unless you enjoy being an adjunct of your parents and extended family.

• Author

I went to one where the bridesmaids wore silver corsets with poofy silvery toule tea length skirts, clear stripper heels, and had silver ribbon (like wrapping ribbon) weaved into their spiral-curling-iron 'dos.

I have been to a low budget wedding- registry office, then we all went out for drinks and dinner, I think there were 50 guests in total, and the bride wore a cream wool suit.

No flowers, no bridesmaids, no groomsmen, no cars, no decorations, no favours, no DJ, etc etc.

It was a nice wedding. It was memorable because it was so low key. The couple in question are both family and close friends of mine.

I've been to a wedding like that. An ex-bf's sister got married, and they had the wedding in their church where their dad was minister - he presided over their wedding. Very simple church; I don't think it was decorated in any way other than what they have for Sunday services.

The reception was punch and desserts at her parents home, and all the desserts were home made. No bridesmaids, groomsmen, dj, nothing.

It was quite lovely and very sweet. They're still happily married with 3 children who would be in their teens now.

I went to a wedding that was kinda tacky, although it wasn't intentionally tacky. A lesbian couple that was part of our group of friends were married (not legally) some years ago. The only reason it was tacky was that it was held in a bar - the cheapest place they could find to hold all their friends. Very little food, just alcohol. We all chipped in on decorations - balloons and streamers and things you'd find in a party store.

GREAT dance music, though! :bunny:

Citizen Erased
I went to one where the bridesmaids wore silver corsets with poofy silvery toule tea length skirts, clear stripper heels, and had silver ribbon (like wrapping ribbon) weaved into their spiral-curling-iron 'dos.

I think some people get married just to put their female friends that they secretly hate in hideous attire.

• Author
I think some people get married just to put their female friends that they secretly hate in hideous attire.

Ya never know! Thing is, the bride had a similar outfit on, just in white, with a floor length skirt (and yes, she had on the clear shoes too!).

That wedding was in late 1999, or early 2000. I recall thinking they looked like fairies at the time, as though they should be sporting wings, or carrying wands instead of bouquets. But I honestly (*gasp!*) don't recall thinking it was tacky! But now? Oh, the horror! :lmao:

He who pays the piper calls the tune. That's why it's best IMO to pay for a wedding yourself - unless you enjoy being an adjunct of your parents and extended family.

EXACTLY. Thank you. You very succinctly stated what I was trying to say in my posts yesterday.

Many may balk and disagree but that's exactly my feeling on that.

Anywho...enjoying the wedding posts. Clear shoes!:laugh: Maybe they were going after the Cinderella look?

Clear shoes! Maybe Touche is right- that is the cinderella look...

it sounds like a doozy....

Remember that thread a while ago where someone (I think it was TBF) posted links to a wedding forum, and one of the brides was going to wear white platform rubber flip flops with little cowboy hats attached to them to fit in with her cowboy theme?

That whole forum seemed to be dedicated to tacky weddings....but the brides were happy I guess and thats the main thing.

• Author

SB, I think I found that wedding site, and we all had a little fun with it. :)

Clear STRIPPER shoes... with a fairy outfit... I mean, REALLY. Who DOES that?!?

Citizen Erased
SB, I think I found that wedding site, and we all had a little fun with it. :)

Clear STRIPPER shoes... with a fairy outfit... I mean, REALLY. Who DOES that?!?

Those cowboy hat thongs/flip flops were hilarious. What thread did you post that in? My sister is currently planning her wedding and would get a kick out of it. :p

Yes, people should not forget the stripper aspect of the shoes. I think it's a case of people dreaming about their wedding day since they were kids and well...Wedding Barbie kind of dresses like a fairytale whore. :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...
BlackLovely

In my opinion, the best way for a couple to control their wedding is to pay for it themselves.

I'm engaged and I'm the only daughter in a family where appearance is everything. My mom wants everyone to think she's rich, so she wanted me to have a big splashy wedding. She offered us money, but we refused it.

My fiance and I are paying for the wedding because we want to control it. It will be very intimate. I wanted to relent on our decision, but my man said it's important that we assert ourselves as a couple early. Smart dude. :)

• Author
I wanted to relent on our decision, but my man said it's important that we assert ourselves as a couple early. Smart dude. :)

Yup, he sounds like a smart cookie! :bunny:

Trialbyfire

Like most things in life, if it's important to you, it's best to do it for yourselves. If it's not that important, you're not going to care if you have full control.