How exactly does gay marriage negatively affect traditional marriage?

:lmao:

Religious persecution.

I couldn't get a job many places where I live if people knew I was an atheist.

That is a religion right? The belief in not believing.

Now you still did not answer the question.

How is a gay marriage going to threaten your rights in a straight marriage?

How am I discriminating by calling it a civil union and not a marriage.

Because we call common-law marriages "marriages".

Because we call civil unions between a man and a woman "marriages".

Untouchable_Fire
You don't answer the questions do you.

How are the "gays" wanting to be married going to take your rights away from you?

and I guess you can choose to be gay since you think it is a choice. Maybe that is where the fear and homophobia start. They could possibly turn you gay if they had their way.

Honey, I got news with that 'tude they wouldn't want you pitchin' or catchin' on their team. :lmao:

Did I say I was homophobic? :confused: Oh wait... you just made that up because you had nothing of quality to say.

Now, what question did I miss?

Honestly, the more gay guys the merrier for me. The only time I would ever be homophobic is if I was in prison.

I have plenty of gay friends. Most of them disagree with my views, but we respect each other. I know at least 2 that are log cabin Repubs... and they agree with me more than most. :laugh:

If your trying to paint me as some intolerant jerk... you barking up the wrong tree. I support rights for everybody.

Did I say I was homophobic? :confused: Oh wait... you just made that up because you had nothing of quality to say.

Now, what question did I miss?

Honestly, the more gay guys the merrier for me. The only time I would ever be homophobic is if I was in prison.

I have plenty of gay friends. Most of them disagree with my views, but we respect each other. I know at least 2 that are log cabin Repubs... and they agree with me more than most. :laugh:

If your trying to paint me as some intolerant jerk... you barking up the wrong tree. I support rights for everybody.

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

How are the "gays" wanting to be married going to take your rights away from you?

:lmao::lmao:

Untouchable_Fire

How is a gay marriage going to threaten your rights in a straight marriage?

I thought I answered that already. By calling it a marriage you take away my legal right to say it is something different.

You clearly live in a different part of the country than I do. Here I am more likely to be locked out of a job because I believe in God.

oh my god this is like a conversation with my husband...... it so really really is... can never answer a question. :lmao::lmao:

I kinda think my h could be gay. :lmao:

Untouchable_Fire
Because we call common-law marriages "marriages".

Because we call civil unions between a man and a woman "marriages".

Do you know what all those have in common?

Again, if we say that it hetero is not the exact same as homo... how is that discrimination? Provided the rights and privileges are the same.

I thought I answered that already. By calling it a marriage you take away my legal right to say it is something different.

You clearly live in a different part of the country than I do. Here I am more likely to be locked out of a job because I believe in God.

why is it your right?

a right to name it is your problem?

but you state in a previous post that was not the only issue with it......... let me scroll and find that. hold on..................... here it is:

It's a big deal to me, because it provides me legal protection, and creates a proper church/state boundary.

The actual word "marriage" protects these "rights"....... then civil union would not have these rights? :confused:

I actually would prefer the term civil union for my own M - I wonder if that would piss off gay married folk? Marriage is just too much of a churchy word for my tastes.

Do you know what all those have in common?

Again, if we say that it hetero is not the exact same as homo... how is that discrimination? Provided the rights and privileges are the same.

Of course I know what all of those have in common, duh - that's the very reason it's discrimination.

You're saying that the problem is the word "marriage" - that it has a religious implication to it.

Common-law marriages do not consist of people that got married in a church. So why isn't anyone freaking out about calling THEM marriages?

Hell, I wanna call it "the old ball and chain." Isn't that MY right? :D

I want to call mine "equal distribution of property when contract terminated".

Really pisses me off on the govt forms and other forms when you are forced to check married or single......

and when I wasn't married I wanted to be called "lone" not single. Single sounds sad..... Lone is cool! Singles are what you put in strippers g-strings!

My rights are being trampled!!!

I can't be married because I don't believe in a god. Right???

I'm still waiting for the gay marriage takes away straight marriage rights question to be answered.........

in the meantime I will come up for a new name for my own M.

I deplore the name "wife".

I want to be called "boss" :lmao:

seriously I hate that word "wife".

so bland.

civil union goddess is better.

Untouchable_Fire
And I'm still waiting for MY question to be answered. After all, if people choose to be straight when they're gay, they should conversely be able to choose to be gay if they're straight.

But all we get is... *chirp* *chirp* chirp* :confused:

I've answered your question several times... but because it isn't what you want to hear, you refuse to listen. :rolleyes:

Untouchable_Fire
why is it your right?

a right to name it is your problem?

but you state in a previous post that was not the only issue with it......... let me scroll and find that. hold on..................... here it is:

It's a big deal to me, because it provides me legal protection, and creates a proper church/state boundary.

The actual word "marriage" protects these "rights"....... then civil union would not have these rights? :confused:

I actually would prefer the term civil union for my own M - I wonder if that would piss off gay married folk? Marriage is just too much of a churchy word for my tastes.

Hey Look Here! I'm making an attempt to be civil despite our disagreement over this topic. If you even try to compare me to you husband again I'm not going to be nice at all. :mad:

I have no issue explaining myself or my position, however I type it quickly because unlike some people I don't have all day to do this. Just 2 min here 3 min there.

That may seem like a contradiction, but I am talking about the same thing. My contention is that if I or my church chooses to not have a gay wedding, we have the right. Civil Unions protect our right to do that, GM does not. There are other issues that fall under that umbrella, however that is the most tangible example.

You can call your relationship to your husband whatever you want. Perhaps as you say marriage is not the right word.

I'm still waiting for the gay marriage takes away straight marriage rights question to be answered.........

How does a man marrying a sheep take away your rights? Or a man marrying 39 women take away your rights?

The law is equal for everyone. A man can marry a woman. You can be queer, into animals, or into whatever you wish. The law is the same for everyone.

If you are "born bi" does that mean we have to allow some people 2 partners? A man and a woman so they can get off with both? Wouldn't iut be discrimination for bisexuals to have to make a choice? I mean they are just born that way..

How does a man marrying a sheep take away your rights? Or a man marrying 39 women take away your rights?

The law is equal for everyone. A man can marry a woman. You can be queer, into animals, or into whatever you wish. The law is the same for everyone.

If you are "born bi" does that mean we have to allow some people 2 partners? A man and a woman so they can get off with both? Wouldn't iut be discrimination for bisexuals to have to make a choice? I mean they are just born that way..

Really? This tired, old, over done line? Did you just discover the internet 6 months ago?

Even in cultures where multiple spouses are an option, it is far from common practice. Human male sperm count has never been high enough to warrant this practice as biologically viable or prudent. Look at species that do practice this style of mating. The males of those species have a much higher sperm production.

Here is a hint: none of this has to do with a sheep. My condolences.

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

"The origin of marriage may lie in a man's need for assurance as to paternity of his children. He might therefore be willing to pay a bride price or provide for a woman in exchange for exclusive sexual access."

This is why marriage came to be. No religion involved. You can check Wikipedia, or the source it came from if you'd like.

All of the "anti gay marriage stuff boils down to people being creeped out by what gay people do sexually. You can say it's religion, you can say its for society but you just don't like a man ****ing another man. Notice how all of this has to do with MEN marrying MEN, no one feels as strongly talking about a woman marrying another woman.

Lets just keep religion as far away from the debate as possible because what kind of argument is "people shouldn't do x because of my belief in y". Doesn't that sound selfish?

It can count for a lot... depending on your level of understanding.

I don't expect anyone to agree with me, though the majority do.

How am I discriminating by calling it a civil union and not a marriage.

You realize that is basically what we are debating here... Civil Unions vs. Gay Marriage.

Personally, I will do what I am called to do regardless of what the law states. I am fortunate to live in a place where those two things rarely cause issues.

You can claim this and still believe you are being persecuted? Can you do it without vomiting, be cause I don't believe you've even known a days worth of real persecution. That may be part of the problem here.......hmmm.

Now, you don't have a right to legislate my beliefs the moment my butt leaves a pew. To tell people that they have to leave their beliefs and morals at home when they go to work is a very fascist view, and if we take that stance as a society it WILL bite us in the behind.

Oh reeeally? So there are no laws that dictate your behavior, while among the public masses, must be without certain actions? No laws that tell us some things we do in our homes are not permitted outside of our homes? I don't know where you're living, but it sounds like a scary place. Are you sure the people "persecuting" you are acting out due to your religion and not because there is not code of conduct for folks in the streets?

The government should not have the right to lock people out of jobs based on religion... that is discrimination plain and simple.

You're right and they don't. I'm sorry if some jobs require a larger measure of unbiased decision making than others. Pick one that doesn't. Not all doctors are gynocologists.

Luckily, our government doesn't dictate our careers.

If you tell me what I can and cannot believe, or lock me out of jobs, scholarships, and the like based on my faith... that is the very definition of discrimination.

We gots gay scholorships now? Bully for them for joining the club of the many many specialized scholorships.

Untouchable_Fire

Lets just keep religion as far away from the debate as possible because what kind of argument is "people shouldn't do x because of my belief in y". Doesn't that sound selfish?

Yeah, I looked that up... and I think I was wrong as to the origin of the word marriage. :o I had originally thought it was a word adapted by early christians from a pagan marriage-like ritual. It seems the words etymology is a touch murky.

However, your really touching the heart of the argument.

I believe that in my personal and to an extent my professional life, I should be able to say "people shouldn't do X because of my belief in Y". Isn't it my right to be able to make moral judgments based on a person's actions?

As it stands now, I have a right to believe that. If you change the law then people can take me to court for my religious beliefs.

Yeah, I looked that up... and I think I was wrong as to the origin of the word marriage. :o I had originally thought it was a word adapted by early christians from a pagan marriage-like ritual. It seems the words etymology is a touch murky.

However, your really touching the heart of the argument.

I believe that in my personal and to an extent my professional life, I should be able to say "people shouldn't do X because of my belief in Y". Isn't it my right to be able to make moral judgments based on a person's actions?

As it stands now, I have a right to believe that. If you change the law then people can take me to court for my religious beliefs.

Then you admit to forcing your beliefs on others as well as fearing a day where you become limited in that capacity.

All because Constantine needed a religion that would woo people of the myriad faiths inhabiting his kingdom to join his army. Christianity is the milkshake baby of a thousand contradicting faiths. Pretty arrogant to assume YOUR take on it is the right one and everyone else must follow.

Thousands of years from now Wii Fit might be the right-wing religion of choice.

Everyone is jumping on Untouchable, but they have a point.

There is nothing wrong with saying that I don't believe that people should do X because of my belief in Y. That's why its called personal beliefs. I have lots of them. But I can't go around thinking that everyone has to abide by them. And that includes if my personal belief was gays should be allowed to get married.

And who said it was Christianity? You do know that Christianity isn't the only religion that (kinda) condemns homosexuality, right?

And isn't pushing gay marriage down someone's throat the same thing as pushing <name your pet project here> belief on someone else?

Everybody is pushing something, these days.

Cooler heads will prevail. I think people are allowed to have their personal beliefs. I hope we can consider this in a secular way as legal contracts have nothing to do with religion - any religion, not just Christianity.

I've answered your question several times... but because it isn't what you want to hear, you refuse to listen. :rolleyes:

I keep learning from you. Several = 0 to you. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

What's the lesson for tomorrow? Is it 1+1=3 or 1+2=4?

Okay, then in my personal and professional life should *I* be able to say that "people should do X because of my belief in Y?"

Or does that right only extend to you?

Okay, then in my personal and professional life should *I* be able to say that "people should do X because of my belief in Y?"

Or does that right only extend to you?

Forgive me but I think you are leaving out a vital part of what was actually said (and was included in your quote):

"and to an extent in my professional life".

It was qualified. So I don't think any exclusive rights are being claimed here.

That really wasn't my point NoIDidnt - my point was - why should UT be able to assert his beliefs on other people - and I should have to shut up with mine?

We then have a stalemate, don't you think?

And AGAIN he claims to have answered, but UF please point me to that post because - it doesn't exist.

Now let's try this again. Please read above and THIS time just say it.

or

2?

Choose one. Just answer with a number.

or

2?

Your refusal to answer the above simple question speaks volumes. ;)

UF can't answer a simple question, but he can sure dish it out. It is so ironic how frequenly the anti gay crowd calls people who accept gay marriage "bigots".