John Edwards

LucreziaBorgia

I don't know that his personal life would affect his abilities, but a lot of people think "if he would do this in his personal life, then he would probably easily mess up something impersonal as well" - or... "if he would lie about something like that to the public, what would he lie about as president?". I don't really buy that idea, but I can see why people might think that.

For a good deal of the 'silent majority' as they call it here, infidelity is a marker of a person's core values (or lack thereof) - values which are intertwined with and color every thing a person does including, including their career.

There are two levels of criticism depending on perspective. First, there's the "values" voter, LB's silent majority. Edwards, to these voters, is marked with the Scarlet "A" and is morally disqualified from being President. Many of these "values" voters would not have voted for Edwards, anyway.They're regular church goers and Red Staters. Think Kansas.

Next, there's the "Party" voter, stalwart Democrats. These more sophisticated voters are angry because Edwards blithely campaigned for the Democratic nomination for President knowing that he had an 800 pound gorilla sitting in the middle of his marital bed. If Edwards had won the nomination, someone would have discovered this gorilla who's all but imposible to hide for very long. Then, given the scandal (cheating on your cancer stricken wife and lying about it), McCain would have handily won the election, which was the Democrats to lose.

I thought Clinton was a good President but a lousy husband. I suspect Edwards would have been lousy in both arenas.

These more sophisticated voters are angry because Edwards blithely campaigned for the Democratic nomination for President knowing that he had an 800 pound gorilla sitting in the middle of his marital bed. If Edwards had won the nomination, someone would have discovered this gorilla who's all but imposible to hide for very long. Then, given the scandal (cheating on your cancer stricken wife and lying about it), McCain would have handily won the election, which was the Democrats to lose.

This part I both understand and agree with. He would have lost the election (which I'd like to point out has not yet been won by ANYONE!!) And I personally am absolutely FURIOUS that he continued to run for president knowing this would bite him. It is what makes me question that Elizabeth actually knew about the affair in 2006....

But be that as it may...

mental_traveller
I saw the OW and I can't believe he hurt his family over that? If he was going to cheat can't he have better standards?

You have no idea how things were between them. For all you know, she bonked his brains out 5 times a day and his wife hadn't screwed him for 5 years. Maybe they got on amazingly well. Besides, it's not like she is ugly, she's ok looking for a 40something woman.

You have no idea how things were between them. For all you know, she bonked his brains out 5 times a day and his wife hadn't screwed him for 5 years. Maybe they got on amazingly well. Besides, it's not like she is ugly, she's ok looking for a 40something woman.

She does nothing for me. She looks like the typical bimbo who thinks she is so liberated because she sleeps with a MM and Elizabeth Edwards while not a perfect actually seems like a decent woman. I heard where the OW bashed Elizabeth and that was just low. Pretty soon we might see her posting on this board. For him to have risked his marriage over that is just stupid.