John Edwards

He did adamently deny it to the press. He came clean to his wife.

Well, his wife is a strong, healthy woman. I'm sure she'll come through this ok.

• Author

I used to think he was so... McDreamy. But now, after all this and watching the interview, I just feel... slimed.

I used to think he was so... McDreamy. But now, after all this and watching the interview, I just feel... slimed.

It took you this long?

LOL. His hair DID look nice in the interview.

What made annoyed me was that he did the typical MM misstep: told his W about contact with the former OW AFTER it happened.

How dumb is that? She deserved to know AFTER the fact? What about she was owed the courtesy of having a choice of you going or not, blackmail or not.

I think he's lying about the money to her issue. He's lied about the affair before.

Having said all that, I STILL like him and what he stands for as a politician.

I guess I am one of those people that doesn't believe that infidelity disqualifies one for public office.

LucreziaBorgia

I think that eventually it will come out that the kid is his. He really lost a lot of respect in our state (NC) - what he had, anyway. A lot of people here saw him as a slick lawyer type to begin with. The affair didn't help.

I have a lot of respect for Elizabeth Edwards. She has weathered the death of her son, recurring cancer (it is in her bones now - treatable, but incurable), and now the affair/kid thing. She may 'stand by her man' for the public, but I doubt that she will behind closed doors. If he tanks politically, and I'm betting he will - the major presses here in NC are not taking this kindly - she may well walk away from him. I sort of hope she does.

Our state is a AOA/CC state. Elizabeth Edwards could sue this woman for her part in the affair, though I doubt that will happen. I can't see her actually doing that. She has entirely too much grace for that.

He and Morgan Freeman make me sick. And to think last week I respected them both.:sick:

What did Morgan Freeman do?? I used to like him.

LucreziaBorgia
What did Morgan Freeman do?? I used to like him.

Some say he was having an affair with the woman he was in the auto accident with, and now he and his wife are getting a divorce.

• Author

No, I think it's Andrew Young's kid. Have you seen pictures of the baby? And Edwards seemed very confident about taking a paternity test, if one should ever be conducted.

No, this was all about the money. The OW was squeezing Edwards and the Democratic National Committee. I guess now they can stop paying her.

LucreziaBorgia

Radaronline has a picture of Edwards holding the baby. I doubt he would have visited Rielle and the baby at 2am in a hotel if the baby weren't his - particularly since he claims the affair has been over for two years.

Edwards is confident about paternity testing because he knows Rielle will never allow one. I'm sure that was agreed by them both.

Radaronline has a picture of Edwards holding the baby. I doubt he would have visited Rielle and the baby at 2am in a hotel if the baby weren't his - particularly since he claims the affair has been over for two years.

Edwards is confident about paternity testing because he knows Rielle will never allow one. I'm sure that was agreed by them both.

Hm.. speculation.

But how disgraceful if it were true. Can you imagine the mother someday telling the child: "your father is a rich, famous, powerful man who could publicly never own up to being your father because there were more important things in his life."

Wait, if he's supposed to be such a master medium/psychic, shouldn't he have foreseen this fallout?

• Author
Oh I forgot I had sex with Morgan Freeman once

I have to go back and put that on the other thread

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Wait, if he's supposed to be such a master medium/psychic, shouldn't he have foreseen this fallout?

I don't understand. Are you talking about John Edwards? Has he claimed to be psychic?

Supposedly during a trial he claimed to have channeled the spirit of a boy who died in a pool. I think that is what she is refering to.

LucreziaBorgia
Hm.. speculation.

But how disgraceful if it were true. Can you imagine the mother someday telling the child: "your father is a rich, famous, powerful man who could publicly never own up to being your father because there were more important things in his life."

I can't help but to wonder if Strom Thurmond's bi-racial daughter was told that growing up.

Edwards is a slick one, and the press here in our state is not taking it kindly. He's toast. NC is not a state that is forgiving or understanding about infidelity. Even the liberal presses are hanging him out to dry. People are disgusted about his blatant lying, his slick maneuvers, his treatment of his wife, etc.

When he was asked about the baby in the hotel, he actually had the nerve to say that he couldn't remember if there was a baby there or not! :mad: When shown the picture of him holding the baby (he was wearing that sweaty blue tee shirt with a huge wet sweat stain down the front, so it was certainly him), he said he couldn't remember if he held a baby or not, or if one was there or not, and that the person in the picture may not be him or was doctored. He's a lawyer, and a damned good one. He knows exactly what he is doing. He is creating reasonable doubt. He is taking the "I can't recall" defense along with the "beyond a reasonable doubt" defense, and I can bet you this: Rielle is covering for him, no doubt in exchange for that large payout that Edwards said that "someone from my campaign may have paid her".

Edwards visits her at 2am. He holds and plays with the baby. People with telephoto lenses capture the shot. Two weeks later, he can't remember if there was a baby there, and Rielle refuses DNA testing? If they ended their affair two years ago, why bother with a former mistress and a kid who isn't his?

This skeleton will eventually come jumping out. Just like Strom's did.

Teacher's Pet
There goes his chance of ever being picked by Obama for a running mate.

Yeah...2 narcissists on one ticket.... ouch!

-tp

haha

Teacher's Pet
Yes, McCain is saying it's ridiculous, just like Edwards was saying until now.

But remember...

With McCain's "famous affair"... he DID divorce his first wife before the affair.

Perhaps McCain divorced his first wife for less than "gentlemanly reasons", but at least he did things "the right way".

Doesn't make him a saint, either.

Also, remember that many of the details of the McCain situation were unsubstantiated. When the details were reported, the names of the people who "got the dirt" on him were NEVER revealed, unlike the Edwards situation. Even a lot of Dems in Congress said the McCain story is a "non-issue".

-tp

now, back to Mr. Pretty Hair...

Jersey Shortie

I personally loose all respect for a man once I know he has cheated. If he can't even treat his own family with respect above himself, how could he ever take a leadership position and expect to be more concerned with protecting the people over his own self interests?

All these politicians being outed about cheating makes me wonder if men are ever loyal. Depressing. :mad:

I can't help but to wonder if Strom Thurmond's bi-racial daughter was told that growing up.

Edwards is a slick one, and the press here in our state is not taking it kindly. He's toast. NC is not a state that is forgiving or understanding about infidelity. Even the liberal presses are hanging him out to dry. People are disgusted about his blatant lying, his slick maneuvers, his treatment of his wife, etc.

When he was asked about the baby in the hotel, he actually had the nerve to say that he couldn't remember if there was a baby there or not! :mad: When shown the picture of him holding the baby (he was wearing that sweaty blue tee shirt with a huge wet sweat stain down the front, so it was certainly him), he said he couldn't remember if he held a baby or not, or if one was there or not, and that the person in the picture may not be him or was doctored. He's a lawyer, and a damned good one. He knows exactly what he is doing. He is creating reasonable doubt. He is taking the "I can't recall" defense along with the "beyond a reasonable doubt" defense, and I can bet you this: Rielle is covering for him, no doubt in exchange for that large payout that Edwards said that "someone from my campaign may have paid her".

Edwards visits her at 2am. He holds and plays with the baby. People with telephoto lenses capture the shot. Two weeks later, he can't remember if there was a baby there, and Rielle refuses DNA testing? If they ended their affair two years ago, why bother with a former mistress and a kid who isn't his?

This skeleton will eventually come jumping out. Just like Strom's did.

There's speculation and there's informed speculation. I'm not from NC, but I agree with your musings, LB. What people dislike almost as much as infidelity is the MM's too clever attempts to mitigate, minimize and manipulate the cold, brutal truth. The MM looks craven, and he convinces no one.

Edwards looks slick, acts slick and is slick.

I agree with you: it's Edward's child, the OW's silence is bought and paid for and everything (and everyone) has a price.

All these politicians being outed about cheating makes me wonder if men are ever loyal. Depressing. :mad:

I think politicians are like star atheletes, in a sense. They start to feel like gods. They start to feel valueable then their wives and children and this is why they feel it's fine to cheat.

• Author

Frankly, it makes me wonder how many other women Edwards has been with... and why they haven't come forward.

Almost couldnt reply to this, but its something that has been on my own mind and I need to verbalize it. Just my opinion/experience:

A need for approval is either inherant or learned behavior for some politicians. Call it narcissism or insecurity - but its all about approval and acceptance (for some) . Never mind the fact that unlike most professions - politicians actually have "groupies". This is more temptation than most spouses have and blatant adoration is hard to resist. (But - it is part and parcel of the whole job, so get a freaking clue and be a real man!) Having a ring side seat to the machine - this is somehting I just cant figure out.

Another thought: An affair (not John Edwards 2nd family type) , can be approval of another kind maybe. A person in politics becomes their job. The whole family is involved, its consuming. You and everyone around you begin to see you as only the candidate. Possibly the approval of someone you think sees only the man becomes a nice distraction. ???

And this: I have heard many people ask of the BS (s) of politicians - How can she still stand beside him? Ive asked this myself. I think some of it is because it isnt just HIS career, its HERS too - make no mistake. It is not a one man show. You vote for the candidate - but his wife and family have made huge life changing sacrifices to support this is a family endeavor. Just because he F's up, just means he better fix it NOW.

And what the hell, I'm on a roll now: In part because of the above stated reasons - I think these politicians have not experienced real consequences of their actions - until they become so flagrant or scrutinized that they must own up. Consequences may be hard to dole out initially because they wont just affect him, but the BS as well. Its hard to believe your H would risk everything (not only his wife and family) for a fling.

All about consequences - swift and immediate.

Whew. That was hard. I am so open to responses here - but please be gentle.