Alcohol Detox- day one

To me taking the first step and " Admitting that I was powerless over Alcohol " is what broke down the label of a problem drinker..

I think when I labeled myself as someone who had Alcohol issues I was full of denial and was continuing to drink.. despite the label..

It was only going part way... hiding behind the the label allowed me to continue my drinking and behavior because I wasn't an Alcoholic.. Denial

Going all the way is accepting that I am powerless over Alcohol and that I am an Alcoholic...

Like B_O.. it is a stark reminder of my past and where I don't want to go again...

And this is interesting to me. Thank you for explaining your take on it, Art.

For me, remembering OD'ing, and all that came after that was enough to scare me sober for a lifetime. Label or no label.

I'm very proud of you D!

I'm agnostic and attended a few Al Anon meetings. I was already open to respect whatever differences in religious perspectives that were part of the group. I live in Canada's 'most religious' region, and yet, I found everyone in my group to be extremely respectful of our differences in beliefs - in fact, religion was never the forefront of any discussion, and no one pushed any specific religious agenda.

You get to define what that higher power is for you. In my case I defined God as a lesson in humility: the higher being that teaches me that it's ok that there are things beyond my control.

So if you've never gone to a support group, I would suggest you remain open to it as a possibility. No one will force anything on you there. In fact, my group was amazingly free of expectations, which I found incredibly relaxing as my own anxieties are often the result of me trying to meet other people's expectations.

Remember to take it one day at a time and to congratulate yourself for each alcohol-free day.

big hug D!

And this is interesting to me. Thank you for explaining your take on it, Art.

For me, remembering OD'ing, and all that came after that was enough to scare me sober for a lifetime. Label or no label.

JB.. congrats to you on your continued sobriety..

All that matters is you are clean and sober... no matter you get there...

A year before I got sober I had been going to AA meetings.. trying to see thru the denial and I couldn't..

So I went to each and every meeting that whole year plastered out of my mind...Shiotfaced drunk ..

but my butt was in the meeting and I learned to take the cotton out of my ears and put it in my mouth till I figured out how to break down my system of denial and took the first step...

Today I look back on that and smile.. by the way.. June 28th 1987 is my sobriety date.. 3 days from now and I will have been sober 21 years..

That's huge, Art, and congrats to you!

You are right. Everyone needs to find their own path to sobriety. Whether by cold turkey, meetings, treatment, labels, etc.

The end result truly justifies the means... :)

Luckily for D, she is well past denial, as she is chosing to get herself sober, so that has to be a huge part of the process out of the way, correct?

whichwayisup

You can do this and you have all the love and support around you to help you through this.

Because bach flower aka rescue remedy has abit of alcohol in it, I wouldn't suggest using that - Just make sure you drink alot of water, stay away from caffeine and any high sugary foods. Eat more fruit, and veggies - And most of all, every day, even twice a day if you can manage it - Do yoga in the morning and in the evening. Not only will it give you a good workout, it'll relax your mind, and help the anxious feelings.

Journal!! Write your feelings and thoughts out, that'll help relieve more anxiety and also help you understand your frame of mind.

D-Lish,

I don't post on here often but I've always appreciated your perspective.

You are such a strong woman, I know you can do it. The fact that you're taking this on without anyone telling you to or teaching you how speaks to how much you want it.

Keep going. Learning to forgive yourself is a big step. Break yourself out of your old routines by doing things differently. It sounds silly, but even getting up on the other side of the bed each day or taking a different route to work can help to shake you out of that automatic-pilot mindset and remind you that you're taking conscious control of your life. Start from where you are at this moment in time, even if you faltered a moment ago...every moment is a new opportunity for change.

::HUG::

• Author
D-Lish,

I don't post on here often but I've always appreciated your perspective.

You are such a strong woman, I know you can do it. The fact that you're taking this on without anyone telling you to or teaching you how speaks to how much you want it.

Keep going. Learning to forgive yourself is a big step. Break yourself out of your old routines by doing things differently. It sounds silly, but even getting up on the other side of the bed each day or taking a different route to work can help to shake you out of that automatic-pilot mindset and remind you that you're taking conscious control of your life. Start from where you are at this moment in time, even if you faltered a moment ago...every moment is a new opportunity for change.

::HUG::

Thanks Hun. Today wasn't as tough as I'd thought. My neighbour knocked on my door an hour ago and asked asked to to go boozing with him tonight. I said I had a goal of detox for a week... and he was pretty cool.

So the beer store is closed- and I did not go.

I do have some sweats and chills, a headache and lots of strange tingling in my scalp. But thise have been my only signs of withdrawl.

So it's been another 25 hours sober... 2 days and not feeling so bad.

Oh- a bit of dificulty concentrating I have to say!

Oh- a bit of dificulty concentrating I have to say!

that may last for a while.. just remember that your mind will clear and you will get your concentration back..

• Author
that may last for a while.. just remember that your mind will clear and you will get your concentration back..

Like a couple weeks to a month maybe Art?

I think I can handle it. Well, I am going to handle it.

I've decided to steer clear if any building functions this weekend as there is too mych temptation.

:eek:

Like a couple weeks to a month maybe Art?

It could.. everyone is different and it does matter how much you pickled your brain :)

Good idea about breaking temptation right now.. no need to test yourself right now..

Try to read if you can.. that might make you sleepy...

also remember to eat right and start taking a multi vitamin...the multi vitamin will help and replace what has been missing from the liquid diet you had previously...

Im SO proud of you, D. Just wanted to drop in and tell you so... :)

Good job, D!

I've made no secrets about my own battles with alcohol. It's a lifelong struggle.

If you're anything like me, Sat. (5th day) is going to be tough. That always seems to be when the withdrawal peaks and I cave. The headaches, lack of concentration etc. Yep. I'm familiar with it all. You also might get irritable. Get past, Sat. and you should be much better.

Go to the library and get books. I've always found that reading really helps to keep me from drinking. If I get sucked into a good book, I'm not likely to want to drink.

Also, I'm not in agreement about the no sugar thing. Sorry. But pies, cakes etc. actually really help. I mean we have to replace the sugar somehow. Fruits are great too but now is not the time to deprive yourself in other areas if you crave "bad" sugars.

Do not let yourself get hungry or bored.

You can do this. It's really a matter of mind over matter. And watch out for what my mother calls the "little man."

That's a little voice in your head that will pop up and tell you it's ok to just have a couple and then you'll go back on your "regimen." Don't listen to that voice. You won't just have a couple and you'll be right back where you started before you know it.

This is a progressive disease that just gets worse and worse.

Like I've said, I should know. I've been battling with it since I was 17.

• Author
Good job, D!

I've made no secrets about my own battles with alcohol. It's a lifelong struggle.

If you're anything like me, Sat. (5th day) is going to be tough. That always seems to be when the withdrawal peaks and I cave. The headaches, lack of concentration etc. Yep. I'm familiar with it all. You also might get irritable. Get past, Sat. and you should be much better.

Go to the library and get books. I've always found that reading really helps to keep me from drinking. If I get sucked into a good book, I'm not likely to want to drink.

Also, I'm not in agreement about the no sugar thing. Sorry. But pies, cakes etc. actually really help. I mean we have to replace the sugar somehow. Fruits are great too but now is not the time to deprive yourself in other areas if you crave "bad" sugars.

Do not let yourself get hungry or bored.

You can do this. It's really a matter of mind over matter. And watch out for what my mother calls the "little man."

That's a little voice in your head that will pop up and tell you it's ok to just have a couple and then you'll go back on your "regimen." Don't listen to that voice. You won't just have a couple and you'll be right back where you started before you know it.

This is a progressive disease that just gets worse and worse.

Like I've said, I should know. I've been battling with it since I was 17.

Thanks T.

I made it through last night without any problem.

It's funny- I look back at my posts from the past couple days and I notice my writing is "off"... spelling, grammar, my wording. A total lack of concentration going on with the fuzzy head.

Hi Art, I have been a heavy alcoholic for about a year, but using alcohol as a dependance for my anxiety for about 2 years. The more my store declined, the more I began drinking. It's been the past year where I drank everyday to the point of getting drunk so I could sleep.

I did sleep for 12 hours last night after 2 sleepless nights prior, so I feel pretty good today.

And yes, the weekend will be the test. Saturday nights are the night I normally go out with friends. I am going to avoid that this weekend and hang with my parents.

;-)

Today is day 3!

Awesome DL!

i'm proud of you. it's not easy but totally worth it.

my new higher power is a gal! i needed to take my power back as a woman. seems a perfect fit.

give in to any craving you may have at this stage. sugar will most likely a big craving. i go for ice cream and chocolate :laugh: - somethings i never ate when i drank everyday...

also i had periods of feeling "fuzzy" in my brain power and got a lot of relief with ester c vitamins and omega 3 capsules.

this has helped a great deal. if you aren't eating a balanced diet i would consider taking a multi vitamin as well.

remember - we are not perfect! just continue to take it one day at a time (or even five minutes at a time if need be). periods of obsessing about it are expected - just try to distract yourself and work through them.

if you mess up at any point - start over! and continue to reach out for support - we're here for you! xo

consider an AA meeting - it can be a great source of ideas and comfort for others in the same situation as yourself.

(((hugs)))

• Author
Awesome DL!

i'm proud of you. it's not easy but totally worth it.

my new higher power is a gal! i needed to take my power back as a woman. seems a perfect fit.

give in to any craving you may have at this stage. sugar will most likely a big craving. i go for ice cream and chocolate :laugh: - somethings i never ate when i drank everyday...

also i had periods of feeling "fuzzy" in my brain power and got a lot of relief with ester c vitamins and omega 3 capsules.

this has helped a great deal. if you aren't eating a balanced diet i would consider taking a multi vitamin as well.

remember - we are not perfect! just continue to take it one day at a time (or even five minutes at a time if need be). periods of obsessing about it are expected - just try to distract yourself and work through them.

if you mess up at any point - start over! and continue to reach out for support - we're here for you! xo

consider an AA meeting - it can be a great source of ideas and comfort for others in the same situation as yourself.

(((hugs)))

Thanks S...

Unfortunately, the one craving I have increased is smoking...yet another vice!!! But I think I plan on tackling one problem at a time. Once I get confortable with doing this, I will tackle the smoking issue.

I did start taking multi vitamens and other immune booster capsules.

My health has been pretty crappy the past year because of the alcohol. I've been more prone to getting sick and infections as a result of a low immune system from the drinking.

I've always been prone to handling my problems on my own. I have talked a bit to my parents about the drinking, and to some of my friends... but I always downplay it then just let it go.

I am going to look into a program with the help of my doctor next week when I see her.

I truly used to be able to be able to go out here and there and have a couple beers and then stop. That was my lifestyle up until the past couple years. I wish I could return to that habit of only having one or two socially... but I don't think I would ever be able to do that. It would be too risky.

Thanks for the support. I'll post in my sobriety tonight before going to bed!

• Author

oh... and on a funnier note- I think you guys would crap your pants if I told you how much money I got from returning my empties this morning.

3 months of empties and I can pay my utility bills...

i can totally relate DL-

i drank at least 2-3 bottles of wine everyday until the last two years of my drinking...

i switched over to vodka - it was a gallon of vodka everyday for more than two years that nearly killed me. keep in mind that i am a tall slim gal. my tolerance level was so high that none of my friends or family even thought i was drinking anything.

my kids noticed something wasn't quite right and spoke with my brother about it the day i had a stroke. he took me to the hospital.

the smoking? think about quitting later - tackle one thing at a time and be proud of yourself along the way! DO NOT beat yourself up mentally for ANY shortcomings! this is hard enough and you are doing a fine job!

oh... and on a funnier note- I think you guys would crap your pants if I told you how much money I got from returning my empties this morning.

3 months of empties and I can pay my utility bills...

Damn, girl. See the bonuses already?

And agreed - when I stopped using, no way I could quit smoking at that time. Addictive personalities need to transfer addictions, not stop them all at the same time.

My transferred addiction became fitness and health, btw... Even addictions can be a positive thing!

Keep up the good (and hard) work...

Any leads on a treatment/support plan?

• Author

Another alcohol free night.

I didn't even feel like drinking tonight to be honest.

It's only been three days, but my body feels better. I had energy today for the first time in a long time.

I've just replaced the beer with water... and my little "beer tummy" has started to flatten out again.

Yes Jilly- I have a personal plan until I see my doc next Tuesday to ask about a referral to a local support group. In the meantime I have alerted my parents to my plan and am going to stay with them this weekend. That will just keep me away from any temptation. I'm also moving out of my place in the coming three weeks- and that will help because people like to party in my building.

I think feeling better has given me incentive to keep up with this plan.

I see how badly the alcohol was actually fueling my anxiety instead of keeping me calm.

Thanks guys.:o

And I appreciate hearing other's stories of their own battles.

I think you're doing great D. So much so that I was going to pour myself a glass of wine tonight and I didn't. Oddly enough, since the ex, I crave alcohol more often. I must have upped how much I drank while I was with him, since he was always drinking. Thank you so much for sharing what you are experiencing with us D. I know it's helping me take better care of myself.

• Author
I think you're doing great D. So much so that I was going to pour myself a glass of wine tonight and I didn't. Oddly enough, since the ex, I crave alcohol more often. I must have upped how much I drank while I was with him, since he was always drinking. Thank you so much for sharing what you are experiencing with us D. I know it's helping me take better care of myself.

I'm glad Kam...

A little detox certainly can't hurt any of us!

My ex didn't drink much- but the subsequent guys I've had short flings with have been drinkers- and that only fueled me on (like it was okay because the person I was with was doing it).

I realized after getting sick so much the past months that my body and mind needed some healing. It seems to be going well.

One thing that hit me was that I was consuming an extra 10,000 calories a week just from beer. I don't know how I managed to only put on an extra 10 pounds in the past year. I enjoy being lean and want to keep it that way.

I'm going to spill the seriousness of my condition to my parents this weekend- I've really only skirted around the issue with them.

I'm going to spill the seriousness of my condition to my parents this weekend- I've really only skirted around the issue with them.

That's awesome. I hope they are a wonderful source of support.

When I OD'd, my family pretty much freaked out, but then they became compassionate. I had a good deal of short-term damage that took some time to get over. More on that if you ever care to hear the horror stories... I was a high functioning drug addict, so NO ONE knew. Mainly because I stopped hanging out with people who used. Funny how you weed 'em out, eh? ;)

One thing I CAN tell you that was instrumental to my on-going sobriety, was a total change of venue. I left the parts of LA behind where I partied heavily, including my job, friends and dealer - lol. I moved cross country, and REFUSED to befriend anyone who used. I knew that being close to it would be too much of a temptation, as users will enable your addiction.

So, it's WONDERFUL that you are avoiding your triggers by going to see the folks and also by moving from Melrose Place.

In a lot of ways, I was VERY much defined by my addiction. All I did back then was use, or work. I forgot who I was entirely. So, when I got clean, it was like rediscovering myself all over again. I had to try and remember who I was pre-drugs, and what I liked to do, and what defined me. It sounds so odd, but I became so enthralled with the simplicity of things I used to do. Like cooking, or playing with the dog, or running on the water. Little things that sober people take for granted, but addicts either stop doing, or forget the beauty of the simpler pleasures.

I think you'll really enjoy that part, D. :)