I just made the call to H...

• Author
Totally understandable, wanting what is best for yourself in terms of taking the right actions to improve your life does not necessarily mean you have to hate the person in order to do this or even stop loving them suddenly. SURE it is easy to walk away and cut all ties when you hate someone, but if you hated them why in the world would even have an A with them?

If people could just focus on that, the idea that all this inquisition that is going on re: "don't you hate her? how could you love her? why don't you despise this person? how could you seriously still think you want a future with them?" all the other IRRELEVANT questions that are thrown out here in order to understand what? should really be asked of yourselves if you are now in a rel. with someone who cheated on you. The answer to all your questions here is ALL under your own nose.

The answere to my question is: TIME

Let me start this with this...at least from my angle...its NOT an inquisition.

Stamp feels what he feels...I don't have any expectations for what he currently feels (although I'm empathizing with him and take a few guesses).

I DON'T expect him to hate her right now.

I AM trying to get him to step back from his feelings right now and see the "big picture".

And I'd like to respond to your question, TC.

In MY case, my wife had gone through changes prior to the affair that were completely atypical of her. She had untreated depression, and I KNEW that this was a major part of her 'change'...and I knew that once that was under treatment, things could get better. I'd seen it before in her.

We had (prior to her affair) 17 years of WONDERFUL marriage together. That last year prior to the affair...not so wonderful. For reasons I explained above. So I knew that in her case, her choices...her actions...were based in large part on untreated depression, were based on her 'perception' of OM and of the affair...and I knew that once she got her head out of the affair and got treatment, the odds were very high that she'd swing back to her 'normal' behavior of the previous 17 years.

Our previous 17 years weren't 'fantasy based'. They were real, everyday, out in the open, day in day out, 24/7/365 life. They weren't 'stolen moments'. There was no additional feelings generated by sneaking around. Actually, they were founded in the day to day reality of paying bills, changing diapers, buying groceries, treating sick kids and sick each other, etc... And even while dealing with that reality, we had a GREAT marriage and family. It was FUN, and loving, even through that.

There was no loss of the fantasy on my part....there was a temporary suspension of reality brought on by her affair and medical conditions. I knew what things could go back to if she stayed and we worked things out.

In an affair, there's the recreation of the relationship once the marriage ends. Its a transition into reality. Based on assuming the marriage ends and the WS goes with the OP. If the affair ends and the WS remains with the OP...ASSUMING THAT THEY LEARN FROM THE AFFAIR...its also a recreation of the relationship...but that's normally based off the years of POSITIVE interaction and relationship that was grounded in reality to begin with. The affair needs to be recreated with a ground in reality...a recovered marriage is rebuilt from the foundation of a reality based relationship.

There's my side of things. You asked for it (LOL!). Your view may differ, based off of your experiences and such.

SD, I'd qualify with what I'd suggest might help you...the answer should be time...AND...distance from the situation. Time gives you some of that, but the sooner you get that distance, the less time it will require.

• Author
SD, I'd qualify with what I'd suggest might help you...the answer should be time...AND...distance from the situation. Time gives you some of that, but the sooner you get that distance, the less time it will require.

AGREED and this all will happen.. Another thing that I am struggling with is this: I "could" look at the BIG PICTURE, and probably "should". Let's look at the facts:

IF she gets divorced, which she probably will, and IF she comes back to me, which according to everybody but her right now, she probably will, then what?? We start ALL OVER, the affair is over and this "new" relationship begins, but, there is ALOT of hurt, mistrust, knowledge of what the other is capable of (good and bad), guilt, resentment, fear.... AND THEN, there are the hurdles of "life together" that have been thrown in front of us: the children knowing and hating me, and resenting her, the rest of the family knowing and hating me, certain friends knowing and not liking me, the whispers at school, soccer, girl scouts, football, volleyball, sleep overs, birthday parties etc.. When will that take it's toll?? But yet, I still seem to believe that this is a challenge that we can over come. HOW STUPID IS THAT????

I am having a hard time, YES, with thinking that I "know her" deep inside, my heart seems to, and yes lately my mind is seeing other sides.. I am having a hard time with "what causes someone to start acting like they do?". I mean, is this "really who she is?" A week or 2 ago, I looked over at her, and 'saw her". deep through her eyes and into her soul, I saw who she really is.. And YES, I LOVE WHO SHE REALLY IS. can she come back to life? I don't know. Not today I dont. Maybe tomorrow my heart will catch up with my brain.

But for today, I still love her and hope she is coming back down to earth. And I do feel a sense of responsiblilty, nobility, culpability, and many other "bilities..."

I've been reading a lot of what you've been posting and I have to say, I feel quite sorry that you're going through so much intense emotion.

Lots of people think that affair partners put up a front, a kind of nice person front with a deep soul. But you know what? When anyone firsts starts out in any relationship you will always see the good. There are some on here that give off the impression that people having affairs are monsters that are capable of anything. I say, ANYONE is capable of anything. We are all flawed, doesn't that makes us all HUMAN? Capable of making mistakes, capable of playing games when we feel under threat because of something that's ground into our personality from childhood. Yet so many of us like to take the moral high ground. When we have no right, to.

There is not one single person on this planet without some kind of sin, some kind of wrong doing to someone else.

Sometimes, we get lost, in a fog, we start doing wrong, we start to hurt people we don't intentionally want to hurt - and through fear, we can't accept what we've done. I'm not saying your OW is like this, BUT, she may be acting like this through fear.

I can't believe that a person is 100% bad. You have every right to feel disgusted with her behaviour. It's exactly how I reacted when I found out about my H in the past. (We are now legally separated) And it's exactly how I reacted towards the end of my relationship with OM not so long ago.

Don't let anyone invalidate how you feel, because you're going through a process. But be mindful of hanging on to that feeling of disgust and if it will be a positive thing for you to hang on to.

I have forgiven my H and myself for all our past wrong doings to each other. I have forgiven my OM that was in my life, I have forgiven myself, too. I still care about him, deeply. I know part of his soul, I know his real bad bits, too. That's just who he is.

If you know and saw what your OW was like to her soul, then you felt it, then you know it. Don't let anyone invalidate that. What you saw and felt was real to you, and you know that's a huge part of who she is. Just like you got to see the ugly parts of her, too.

I saw it in both my H, and my OM. I hate neither of them.

What ever you do, don't end up hating her and remembering all the negatives. Take the positives and let those positives lead you so that you know what you would like in your next relationship. (You can also do this with the negatives, but I would call that a quick mental checklist.)

I feel sad for you that you're hurting so bad because you DO love this woman. You do, and it shows. Nobody can understand that except, you. There are days and times that you will love her more then love her less. That's all very natural. But you ARE capable of love, and that's a good thing, right?

Hang in there!

*hugs*

I wouldn't say "stupid"...I would say "NOT REALISTIC".

Again, not based in reality.

My wife (and her OM) faced that same wall of reality, and looked 'around' it.

They were convinced that my kids would quickly forgive her, forgive him, and accept him as a new step-dad. It was hard for her to take when they told her that if she got on the plane to go live with him, they would NOT be going to live with her/him at ANY point in the next year, as a minimum. She could come visit here, but they would NOT go visit there. They wouldn't live there. They wouldn't accept him. They loved her, but they hated her actions and the way she was behaving at the time.

Rough for a dedicated mom to hear from her kids.

In reality...they MIGHT come to 'accept' you at some point. That would probably be about the best you could expect to happen...and that's still a maybe...a possibility, not a certainty.

Honestly, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they don't end up divorced. Had she left immediately, with no reservations...the odds of divorce would have been higher.

At this point, I'd say its more likely that they're going to "work this out"...now, how effective they are at it would be totally dependent on how much effort they put into it.

IF she divorces him, then I'd bet money that she'd come immediately to you. THEN you'd have to deal with the realities of her cheating, her kids, etc...

But this is all part of why I keep suggesting that you distance yourself now, and start 'hardening your heart' against what's likely to come.

OM in our case had to do the same thing too. Don't think for a second that I feel like he walked away unhurt by what all went on...quite the opposite, I have NO doubt that he went through heck. Believe it or not, I prayed for him while we were going through all of this too.

Hope this gives you some perspective on where my advice is coming from, friend.

bentnotbroken
OWL and any other BS out there who feels the same way in what OWL just posted, and who also stayed with their straying partner I would really like to know this:

How did you talk yourselves out of feeling all the disgusting things that Stamp for example is seeing in his OW, when it came to your cheating partners? Because you all seem to want to talk him into feeling something he doesn't completely feel now, today on his own free will yet when it came to the disgusting acts your own partners did you found a way to forgive them and not cling on to those feelings of disgust? So when you tell him to see her for who she really is do you speak from experience and if so how did you handle that yourselves in your own situations? And if you too were able to see your partners with eyes of digust why did you stay with them?

so how exactly did you overcome this yourselves:

I really want to know that.

That is why Mr. Messy is gone, I could never look at him and not see him in my bed with her. He isn't someone I want to spend my life with.

Originally Posted by stampdaddy viewpost.gif

I am having a hard time, YES, with thinking that I "know her" deep inside, my heart seems to, and yes lately my mind is seeing other sides.. I am having a hard time with "what causes someone to start acting like they do?". I mean, is this "really who she is?" A week or 2 ago, I looked over at her, and 'saw her". deep through her eyes and into her soul, I saw who she really is.. And YES, I LOVE WHO SHE REALLY IS. can she come back to life? I don't know. Not today I dont. Maybe tomorrow my heart will catch up with my brain.

But for today, I still love her and hope she is coming back down to earth. And I do feel a sense of responsiblilty, nobility, culpability, and many other "bilities..."

First of all I have no idea why my msg below is in italics, but I can't get it to switch off...sorry....

Stamp... i have been reading thru alot of your posts and see alot of similiarities to my own situation. I dont believe my MM to be a bad person, I know right now he is trying to do the right thing and figure out his marriage while separated from his W... and him and I are in NC thru this...

However... just a few days before this all went down he was looking into my eyes saying how he could really never leave me.. how whenever he is with her somewhere he is wishing it is me... how we truly have a connection like no other....

Then... 2 days later the final DDay, he gets kicked out and we are in no contact. It's just so frustrating!!!

That is why Mr. Messy is gone, I could never look at him and not see him in my bed with her. He isn't someone I want to spend my life with.

Ok well then I would expect the types of questions that go something like:

how could you want to be with that woman?

is THAT who you fell in love with?

Is THAT the kind of person you want to spend the rest of your life with?

from someone who is in your shoes BNB, you kicked your cheater to the curve and questioned all those things for yourself so it would only be natural that you ask questions of that nature.

But when I see someone like OWL (sorry OWL don't mean to zero you out it's just that I am familiar with your story and not with others in this thread that had similar if not the same questions) ask all these things it makes me question, "well how do you look at your parnter in the eyes, aren't you also disgusted?"

OWL: yes I am glad I asked if I ask I like to get a good explanationm thanks for the response and you made some good points about having a history togther I can see that and deffinitely valid to take into account when deciding to forgive or not forgive. Knowin what she is capabale of in terms or her goodness based on the reality of your pasts is good, but the same goodness can be seen when with someone in an A and I think Elena62 said it best:

If you know and saw what your OW was like to her soul, then you felt it, then you know it. Don't let anyone invalidate that. What you saw and felt was real to you, and you know that's a huge part of who she is. Just like you got to see the ugly parts of her, too.

A person can have a great past with their partner and a terrific history together based on very real events that transpire over many years but one day your partner can snap and do something horrific like kill someone or rape someone, would you still see them as the same person? Let's say they get away with the crime would you still stay with them if you could? some people would be able to overlook that some wouldn't. So to use having history together as the reason for forgiving a cheater, and by no means can you equate that to murder or rape, is not really all that different than the OP using their reasoning as an excuse to forgive the "horrible" person they have dated.

I still don't see a huge difference, in particular in Stamp's case since he knew this woman for 4 yrs, it was no 3 month fling.

I still don't see a huge difference, in particular in Stamp's case since he knew this woman for 4 yrs, it was no 3 month fling.

Because he knew her in terms of the AFFAIR...not in terms of being married to her.

Its NOT the same relationship, no matter how much OP want to convince themselves otherwise.

The dynamics are different, the interaction is different, the view of each other is different.

Example: What are the day to day stressors in a marriage? Disagreemants over how the money should be spent, dealing with the kids, meeting the schedules of the entire family, keeping the household running (paying bills, doing laundry, making meals, cleaning the house, etc...) The stressors in an affair? How do we avoid getting caught. Who do we let know, who do we hid it from. How do we work out meeting with out the SO's finding out. How do we exchange gifts and not get busted...etc, etc, etc...

Not the same.

KNOWING SOMEONE THROUGH AN AFFAIR IS NOT THE SAME AS KNOWING THEM AS YOUR MARRIED SPOUSE

An affair relationship is much more like the dating phase of a "normal" relationship than anything else. Its all the positives, without the same negatives that happen when you completely share lives. Now, its got its own unique stressors AND benefits over dating, for sure.

Affair partners do NOT see the whole person in each other. Not to the degree that the marriage relationship does. Not unless those affair partners moved in together, joined households, and even brought over the kids/finances/etc... with them.

Sorry, I don't buy that "you know her soul" junk. Try not using the metaphysical to justify your reality...it don't work. You "know" someone by spending time with them and interacting with them through EVERYTHING. Not just a part of their life, but the whole thing.

Sorry for the t/j, Stamp.

• Author
Because he knew her in terms of the AFFAIR...not in terms of being married to her.

Its NOT the same relationship, no matter how much OP want to convince themselves otherwise.

The dynamics are different, the interaction is different, the view of each other is different.

Example: What are the day to day stressors in a marriage? Disagreemants over how the money should be spent, dealing with the kids, meeting the schedules of the entire family, keeping the household running (paying bills, doing laundry, making meals, cleaning the house, etc...) The stressors in an affair? How do we avoid getting caught. Who do we let know, who do we hid it from. How do we work out meeting with out the SO's finding out. How do we exchange gifts and not get busted...etc, etc, etc...

Not the same.

KNOWING SOMEONE THROUGH AN AFFAIR IS NOT THE SAME AS KNOWING THEM AS YOUR MARRIED SPOUSE

An affair relationship is much more like the dating phase of a "normal" relationship than anything else. Its all the positives, without the same negatives that happen when you completely share lives. Now, its got its own unique stressors AND benefits over dating, for sure.

Affair partners do NOT see the whole person in each other. Not to the degree that the marriage relationship does. Not unless those affair partners moved in together, joined households, and even brought over the kids/finances/etc... with them.

Sorry, I don't buy that "you know her soul" junk. Try not using the metaphysical to justify your reality...it don't work. You "know" someone by spending time with them and interacting with them through EVERYTHING. Not just a part of their life, but the whole thing.

no worries. OWL, how do I say it then?? I have seen enough of her, the TRUE HER, and I was able to decide that YES, I did want a life with her.. So, now, that is what I am struggling with. HAPPY that the affair is over, but now what??

Stamp.... forgive me because I am sure this is in here somewhere. I have been trying to follow your situation, but am alittle confused. Currently are you in contact with you MW or not? Has she contacted you since you made the phone call at all?

• Author
Stamp.... forgive me because I am sure this is in here somewhere. I have been trying to follow your situation, but am alittle confused. Currently are you in contact with you MW or not? Has she contacted you since you made the phone call at all?

Yes, like a mad hornet.. Go to page #13 of this thread for all of the juicy details.. she is in Florida right now with a girlfriend, so I get a break for a week...

no worries. OWL, how do I say it then?? I have seen enough of her, the TRUE HER, and I was able to decide that YES, I did want a life with her.. So, now, that is what I am struggling with. HAPPY that the affair is over, but now what??

Now comes the really hard part. The part where you get on with your life without her in it, the part where you have to rebuild your life without her in it. There's nothing to "do" specifically anymore - you've already done the telling and breaking away. Now is just the next phase where you move on, day by day, and may be the hardest phase of all.

Now comes the really hard part. The part where you get on with your life without her in it, the part where you have to rebuild your life without her in it. There's nothing to "do" specifically anymore - you've already done the telling and breaking away. Now is just the next phase where you move on, day by day, and may be the hardest phase of all.

I would most definitely have to agree with that!!! Good luck stamp, you are not alone!

Respectfully my friend, you didn't see the "TRUE HER". You saw the "AFFAIR HER". What you saw was definitely enough for you to decide you wanted a life with WHAT YOU SAW.

The "now what" is what you should be trying to shift your focus onto now. The first step is accepting that its over, grieving for it, and let it go. Stop holding out hope...accept that its over.

Concentrate on filling your time with OTHER important things. Family, friends, hobbies, ec... Concentrate on filling your mind with other important things.

Now what is working on moving on, even when you're hurting.

Again my friend, this is all intended with respect.

An affair relationship is much more like the dating phase of a "normal" relationship than anything else. Its all the positives, without the same negatives that happen when you completely share lives.

I must reply to this.

I disagree. Some that know each other through an affair DO know the MP better than the spouse. It happens. I've seen it first hand. Sometimes the disconnect between married partners goes on for YEARS, and then they no longer know the person they are living with.

An affair is not like the first stages of dating, it can, sometimes, be a lot deeper a lot quicker than a normal relationship. Not only can an affair have the positives, it can have the intense negatives and all the very worst aspects of that MP than their spouse has ever seen or has never been aware of! It does happen!

Some people don't buy that "into the soul" stuff at all. But it's there. A soul is God given, and people DO connect. Not only in marriage (and all the practicalities surrounding that.) But people have very deep soul connections with friends and family. The metaphysical can be there, not as a justification of reality, but as a personal affirmation. It's personal, it's individual, it's what a person believes and I still don't feel any of us have the right to invalidate that.

People think they know their spouses oh so well, and usually, it's the BS that's the last one to find out about an affair. If a person knows their spouse so well, why is that? Surely, they would know their spouse is having an affair or is very capable of doing it? Just because two people are married, it doesn't mean they know each other very well at all! In fact, in marriage, two people can be living a lie with each other, thinking they know their partner inside out - only to find, in the end, disappointment -- and that disappointment turning into justification for their own bad behaviour within the marriage.

Sorry to jump into the thread like that.

Still wishing you lots of luck, Stamp! :)

• Author

I will just say this (and definately don't see a need for this arguement to continue), that for ME, and I am only speaking for me, well, mer and her, that we DID/DO have a VERY srtong connection, wheter it is labeled "soul to soul" or "heart to heart" or whatever anybody wants to call it.. I know that I do not need to say this again to the people that are currently posting, as you kno my story rather well, but I'll say it anyway. We spent just about EVERY DAY for the last 3 1/2 years together.. NO, we didnt pay "their bills" together, we paid mine/ours, we didnt raise "their children together", however, I was VERY involved in their lives in many ways, and I can tell you, in ALOT more ways than ALOT of fathers I have seen.... AND i am not trying to compare this to MARRIAGE, but I will compare it to ANY relationship. We didnt "sneak off" to motels, we didnt have a relationship through email, we ddnt live 1000 miles away from each other, we didnt see each other once every few weeks.. We saw eachother practically every day.. And I can tell you this, I was/am her "partner". Again, NO ARGUING about what is real and what is fake. OWL, I understand what you are saying and mean no disrespect at all. I am just standing uo for ehat I KNOW to be true for ME..

NOW, what to do about it. KEEP MOVING FORWARD FOR THAT SAME ME

I must reply to this.

I disagree. Some that know each other through an affair DO know the MP better than the spouse. It happens. I've seen it first hand. Sometimes the disconnect between married partners goes on for YEARS, and then they no longer know the person they are living with.

An affair is not like the first stages of dating, it can, sometimes, be a lot deeper a lot quicker than a normal relationship. Not only can an affair have the positives, it can have the intense negatives and all the very worst aspects of that MP than their spouse has ever seen or has never been aware of! It does happen!

Some people don't buy that "into the soul" stuff at all. But it's there. A soul is God given, and people DO connect. Not only in marriage (and all the practicalities surrounding that.) But people have very deep soul connections with friends and family. The metaphysical can be there, not as a justification of reality, but as a personal affirmation. It's personal, it's individual, it's what a person believes and I still don't feel any of us have the right to invalidate that.

People think they know their spouses oh so well, and usually, it's the BS that's the last one to find out about an affair. If a person knows their spouse so well, why is that? Surely, they would know their spouse is having an affair or is very capable of doing it? Just because two people are married, it doesn't mean they know each other very well at all! In fact, in marriage, two people can be living a lie with each other, thinking they know their partner inside out - only to find, in the end, disappointment -- and that disappointment turning into justification for their own bad behaviour within the marriage.

Sorry to jump into the thread like that.

Still wishing you lots of luck, Stamp! :)

I totally agree with this, in fact I have had conversations with a few men who had A's (here on LS) and I always ask the same thing:

a) how do you know it was real now that you are no longer in it and

b) how do you know what you had was not just fantasy/or an addiction of sorts (since that ALWAYS gets thrown around here...?

And the staple answer is "because I connected with her on a level I never had with anyone before, I was able to be myself that is what I miss most I just don't think I can be that open with my W and I had never experienced this before" So every time they describe this "special connection" it boils down to the level of openess.

You see what happens in some As is that because the situation is so ugly it forces people to really see each others worst side, so you really have nothing to hide from each other in terms of what your personality is like yes there may be lies involved in making the A happen but in terms of exposing yourself to the other person you show yourself for who you are very quickly.

I can relate to this as well because we were very open with each other it was like we had nothing to lose, I had never had that level of getting into a person's mind and what makes them tick and vice versa.

So I don't buy that for a second that you don't know the real person, in fact I think you get to see a more real side of your lover in an A than you would if you simply dated them because if you date them you have no pressurer and you are on your best behaviour when they first meet. In an A the situation lends itself so that you are put in the worst case scenarios in terms of dealing with stress, with impossible situations, with not getting 100% what you want, whith havin to share the person you love with another PERSON and on the MP side for having fear that when they are at home not seeing you you can possibly meet someone new and dump them so you so you are constantly restricted and feeling insecure so it can bring out your worst, how you deal with that is WHO you really are.

anyone can be great when they are dating and having fun...And sure you don't know what it would be like to have children together to work out finances etc but then again you wouldn't know that if you were dating someone either, you dont EVER know that until you live together so....

Again, we are talking relationships, not sex flings that happen on stolen time one day a week on a lunch hour in the back room or the car. a lot of affairs get really lived out in fact they spend more time with the A partner than with the spouse...

• Author
Point(s) taken.

So what's YOUR PLAN for moving forward?

My plan is to figure out what my plan will be...

Here is where I am at. I know I can't just "sit here and wait". I know that the Affair is OVER, and I am glad about that.. I COULD accept her words from the other day, that we are over, and say screw it and leave it all behind, and IF she comes back one day, free, I'd say "Im sorry, you said goodbye.. Would you like to meet Sally, my new girl?" OR I could think that those words were coming from a very angry, hurt, confused, scared person, that DOES love me, even was saying it all through the "ugly words".. And then, IF she came back, free, AND I KEPT MOVING FORWARD FOR ME, then I guess we could start to talk again..

So I guess my plan is to try to squeeze myself into that very thing gray area of "the affair is over, I do not have a current relationship with her or anyone, and if I keep working hard, taking care of MY things, bills, children, house, golf game, health, etc... And IF she came back, then I am just that much better off.. And if she DID NOT come back, well, I am STILL that much better off.. I need to get my mindset right. That is what my plan is..

Good for you S-diddy!!

Sounds like a STELLAR plan, now that's using your noodle. ;)

One day at a time and life unfolds....focus and stay true to your goals and you can't go wrong.

• Author
Good for you S-diddy!!

Sounds like a STELLAR plan, now that's using your noodle. ;)

One day at a time and life unfolds....focus and stay true to your goals and you can't go wrong.

I can't use my "noodle" if I want to follow MY plan.. Oh, THAT noodle.. sorry:o

:D:D:D Well, at least you haven't lost your sense of humor Stamp... or your noodle.;)

You cheeky-monkey, I would have said cannelloni! :lmao: