I got accepted to Law School!

Congratulations, RP. I hope you enjoy the course.

If it makes you feel any better, RP, consider some of the retards here who muddled through law school. How hard can it possibly be?

My advice would be to do what it takes to get good grades in the first year, especially the first semester. Those are the only ones that have a strong bearing on your immediate employment options. After that, it's just about learning the academic game.

You're wise not to worry about what career field interests you; just do well in whatever classes you take. You're more attractive to a tax firm, for example, if you got a 3.5 taking trial law classes than a 3.0 taking tax classes.

KenzieAbsolutely

My advice would be to do what it takes to get good grades in the first year, especially the first semester. Those are the only ones that have a strong bearing on your immediate employment options. After that, it's just about learning the academic game.

You're wise not to worry about what career field interests you; just do well in whatever classes you take. You're more attractive to a tax firm, for example, if you got a 3.5 taking trial law classes than a 3.0 taking tax classes.

good advice, and it's nice to see you again, especially with the recent lost of KM. :)

Congratulations RP. Can I ask what your LSAT score was? I took mine last year and was contemplating to apply as well.

• Author
RecordProducer
Congratulations RP. Can I ask what your LSAT score was? I took mine last year and was contemplating to apply as well.
I got 154 (60th percentile).

What's your GPA if you don't mind me asking.

I really think you should apply to more tier 3 law schools, especially the public ones that allow you to pay in-state tuition after a year.

Edited by StillSame
KenzieAbsolutely

not bad, i know people who were in the 120s, even after their first time, and were devastated.

:)

(hey, can you send me another pm and see if i get it? i had to do some reconfiguring and i want to make sure i can still get them from you. thanks.)

Edited by KenzieAbsolutely
  • Author
RecordProducer
Congratulations RP. :bunny::):bunny:

I'm glad things are on the up for you!! xxx

Thanks, Kitty. And I see from your avatar that you got married! CONGRATULATIONS!!!! :bunny: :bunny: :bunny:

What's your GPA if you don't mind me asking.

I really think you should apply to more tier 3 law schools, especially the public ones that allow you to pay in-state tuition after a year.

I applied to all kinds of schools. :D My GPA was 3.72 (business management program).

Congrats.

i surfed here for a few years on off. Loosely kept track of you because of the ever changing, very attractive pic/avatars.

The Euro RP ends up a US lawyer (I know you will make the grade and pass the bar) A great story.

• Author
RecordProducer

I JUST GOT ACCEPTANCE FROM A THIRD-TIER SCHOOL. :bunny:

Well, this looks much better. :D The school is on the north (I like the north), in a cute, small town. That's exactly what I need: safe for my kids, affordable, and livable. I have no use living in a big metropolis and paying the extra bucks for rent when I am not going to be able to use much of the big city's amenities (I have to study and take care of my kids). Maybe the externships for law students are better in the big cities, but there's also a bunch of top law schools in every big city, so it's all relative. If I get accepted to a T2 school in a big city, I would certainly accept the offer, but I really wanted to live in a nice little town for three years. I can't live in a bad neighborhood and have my kids go to a bad school. In the big cities' suburbs, rent is astronomic, so I would have to find something that's far away from the school and waste money and time on transportation. This school is really a good option in case nothing better comes up. :) I don't intend to start my career (read: end my life) in a big law firm anyway. Maybe later down the road...

I even got some scholarship, so if I am ranked in the top third of my class, I will get $10,000 per year. If I am in the top half, I get $8,000 in the subsequent year. The first year is $10,000 anyway. Nonetheless, the entire legal education will cost me more than $80,000 including books and fees, but I was prepared to that. I probably won't incur any student loans if I manage to earn $20,000 during the two summers through externships. In any case, $20K of debt is endurable. ;)

Edited by RecordProducer
KenzieAbsolutely
I JUST GOT ACCEPTANCE FROM A THIRD-TIER SCHOOL. :bunny:

Well, this looks much better. :D The school is on the north (I like the north), in a cute, small town. That's exactly what I need: safe for my kids, affordable, and livable. I have no use living in a big metropolis and paying the extra bucks for rent when I am not going to be able to use much of the big city's amenities (I have to study and take care of my kids). Maybe the externships for law students are better in the big cities, but there's also a bunch of top law schools in every big city, so it's all relative. If I get accepted to a T2 school in a big city, I would certainly accept the offer, but I really wanted to live in a nice little town for three years. I can't live in a bad neighborhood and have my kids go to a bad school. In the big cities' suburbs, rent is astronomic, so I would have to find something that's far away from the school and waste money and time on transportation. This school is really a good option in case nothing better comes up. :) I don't intend to start my career (read: end my life) in a big law firm anyway. Maybe later down the road...

I even got some scholarship, so if I am ranked in the top third of my class, I will get $10,000 per year. If I am in the top half, I get $8,000 in the subsequent year. The first year is $10,000 anyway. Nonetheless, the entire legal education will cost me more than $80,000 including books and fees, but I was prepared to that. I probably won't incur any student loans if I manage to earn $20,000 during the two summers through externships. In any case, $20K of debt is endurable. ;)

so awesome, congratulations. it's only going to get better! it'll be a crazy ride, but enjoy it. i think too many people look at it as the impossible; if you approach it the same way you approach everything else, the task doesn't seem quite as daunting. good for you, you must be so proud of yourself, and we are too. :bunny:

• Author
RecordProducer

Thank you, Kenzie. :)

It's true that it's about the approach. Just like that person thought that the worst was over when the LSAT is over. The worst comes after graduation from law school! :laugh: I am so prepared to get swollen from studying and live on a tight budget, that anything better than that will be luxury for me. :)

I've heard that law school is difficult for many people, but some find it easy. I don't think it will be easy for me because English is not my native langauge, but I know I will have fun in classes cuz I like raising my hand and pooping out my opinion. :D

I am getting exactly the same feeling as when I was in college. :) I am 18 again. :bunny:

I am getting exactly the same feeling as when I was in college. :) I am 18 again. :bunny:

What?!?! you are not 18? wow you look great for your age!

hey you will a hot MILF now in law school! Honestly graduate school is great! I've made alot of friends that way.

Woo-hoo! :bunny: My first acceptance. :D It's a 4T school in the mid-west, not far from a big business center.

I didn't care much about going to a top law school anyway, because it only matters if you want to work for a big law firm right off the bat for a six-figure salary and 100 hours of torture per week. I'd rather have a decent/modest income, enjoy my job, and have time for my kids and a social life. After all, where I will be in three years (God willing) will be quite different from and much better than where I was two years ago. And ten years from now, nobody will care about which law school I attended; my success (or lack thereof) will reflect my true capabilities and skills.

So I am quite happy and excited. Life is in front of me again: new challenges, new people, new environment - a new life! :) I know that all this doesn't sound like a big deal to many of you, but to me it is. Especially with my failing marriage, slowly climbing up the staircase of success certainly feels better than slowly drowning in misery. Most of all, I am thrilled that I will be a lawyer; I will be able to try different aspects of the legal profession and find an area that I am passionate about. I will be able to help people through pro-bono work and make a difference.

I applied to 30 schools and received five replies: rejected, wait-listed, deferred (put on hold), rejected, admitted. Twenty-five more replies to receive. I expect to get a few more acceptances (and at least 20 more rejections, because I applied to many schools that are out of my reach - just to test my luck ;)). But, one acceptance is enough - I can only go to so many schools at once! :laugh:

Congrats to me. :)

Wow that's awesome. Congrats!!!

• Author
RecordProducer
What?!?! you are not 18? wow you look great for your age!

hey you will a hot MILF now in law school! Honestly graduate school is great! I've made alot of friends that way.

Hahah! :laugh: The picture in my avatar is five years old, but I do look younger than my age (or so people say).

Wow that's awesome. Congrats!!!
Thanks, Vina. :) There's an update a few posts above. :p
If it makes you feel any better, RP, consider some of the retards here who muddled through law school....

...in between paddling around in basements.

Such a gracious, chivalrous profession you've selected, RP - with all those dusty volumes and cool sounding Latin phrases. If you work hard, the legal fraternity might even reward you with the ultimate accolade (for any lady lawyer) of tarda meretricis.

• Author
RecordProducer
Such a gracious, chivalrous profession you've selected, RP
Attorneys do look gracious in their Armani suits and BMW convertibles, don't they? :laugh:

If you work hard, the legal fraternity might even reward you with the ultimate accolade (for any lady lawyer) of tarda meretricis.
In the US they insist on diversity in employment and that includes giving women high positions. I assume tarda meretricis means late reward. :)

Congrats RP!! :bunny:

Can I ask how old you are? Maybe it was asked and answered already, but I didn't see it?

Just wondering because I've been researching law schools, and I'm feeling like I'm too old.

In the US they insist on diversity in employment and that includes giving women high positions. I assume tarda meretricis means late reward. :)

Two lessons for any law school neophyte:

One - if you're not sure of the answer to something, take the time to look it up.

Two - When you assume, you make an ass out of you.

• Author
RecordProducer
Congrats RP!! :bunny:

Can I ask how old you are? Maybe it was asked and answered already, but I didn't see it?

Just wondering because I've been researching law schools, and I'm feeling like I'm too old.

I am 32. There are students who are much older than me in law school. Go for it if you really have a desire. :bunny:

As one doctor said, "I am going to be 40 anyway, so I might as well do what I like." :)

Two lessons for any law school neophyte:

One - if you're not sure of the answer to something, take the time to look it up.

Two - When you assume, you make an ass out of you.

... and you assume that I didn't look it up. ;):laugh::p

I couldn't find it so I had to guess. That's far from unwarranted assumptions that, for example, a judge might make and send an innocent person to jail as a result. If I take the time to look up all the unimportant things (with all due respect to our brilliant Lyndia, the phrase she used doesn't deserve for me to spend more than five minutes of my life searching for translation), I would be spending the rest of my life googling things. :D Cheers!

I assume tarda meretricis means late reward. :)

Kind of. For instance, if one of your clients prevaricates with payment, then your boss might sigh and say something like "This is what happens when we take on a tarda meretricis. Always (slap) remember (slap) cash (slap) upfront (slap)."

Congrats darlin!! but as a current 2L let me warn you - Hang on to this excitement while it lasts b/c you're in for a world of hurt!!

I'm sure you'll kick ass but sadistic as it may be, I gotta admit I'm pretty happy there's one more person in the world to share in my misery :laugh::bunny::bunny:

Congrats darlin!! but as a current 2L let me warn you - Hang on to this excitement while it lasts b/c you're in for a world of hurt!!

I'm sure you'll kick ass but sadistic as it may be, I gotta admit I'm pretty happy there's one more person in the world to share in my misery :laugh::bunny::bunny:

So, are you not happy?

What law school do you go to?

I am 32. There are students who are much older than me in law school. Go for it if you really have a desire. :bunny:

As one doctor said, "I am going to be 40 anyway, so I might as well do what I like." :)

Heck RP, you're only a year younger then I am. :bunny::)

Brace Yourself

You're definitely going to have to give more info on this. Please?

• Author
RecordProducer
Haha! Thanks anyway. :)

You're definitely going to have to give more info on this. Please?

What she meant was that law school is very difficult. :)

I got another acceptance today. This school is about an hour from where I am now, but I still prefer the one that accepted me the other day (about four hours from here); it's a better school. I still have many more replies to get! :bunny: (I am hoping for a second-tier school, ANY T2 :o)

Edited by RecordProducer