I got accepted to Law School!

Thank you, SG. :) I do like the law and I think I could handle the sacrifice, especially as my sons get older. I am also hoping that my mom would join me in a couple years. I believe that every single career in the world has advantages and disadvantages and that every job becomes more or less just-a-job at some point. But if you have a little bit of challenge at work, if you stay mentally busy, if you can afford a decent life for you and your family, and if you can make a difference in some people's lives - you did something with yourself and your life. No job is a dream job in reality. The goal is to earn a living and not hate your life from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. while earning it.

I love working with people and can't imagine myself being happy in a place where I would be seeing the same 17 people for thirty-five years. I like reading, writing and especially researching; I like dealing with people's personal problems and helping them (especially if they pay me! :D). I like to think, advocate, advise, and solve problems. So, I chose the law because it's closest to my idea of a productive career - not because I want to save the world or make tons of money or because I expect a red carpet under my 500-dollar shoes in a big law firm.

It's easy for you to say "Don't do it!" while you keep doing it. :) For someone like me, who came from a second-world country, who's never had a stable income due to my former country's crippled economy, who's never had a chance for any tangible success until I moved to the US -being a lawyer IS a dream job. :)

Thank you again for putting the time and effort to write me about the law career. I will be looking for tips and advice from you in the future. Don't charge me for your time, please! :laugh:

I'm glad you didn't take my post as an attempt to poo-poo on your parade. :) I am very happy for you in getting into law school - it's an accomplishment in and of itself! I just don't want to see you disappointed and in my shoes in 8 years.

Keep in mind that I actually do say, "Don't do it!" as I look for alternative employment - outside the practice of law. Seriously. I do earn a living on an 8-to-7 (those are pretty much my hours every day), but I also hate my life during those hours.

Thing is, I sounded just like you at 22 when I started law school, and still felt that way for the first 2 years out of school. I thought I had my dream job, too. I obviously love to advocate, I love research and writing, and I like helping people. But the daily grind of the practice of law (the hours, the clients, the politics, the paper-pushing, the rainmaking-requirements) is all much, MUCH different than what you imagine it to be. I can only hope you wind up happier than I am now.

• Author
RecordProducer

How can I taking your post as pooping on my parade when you were just being honest? :) I too have told many aspiring audio producers to NOT do it. We always think that it's better on the other side of the fence. :D

You don't get to work part-time a job you love and make a living out of it! Not in this world. Independence is expensive.

Can I carry your books? :love:

I think this is great news. We need more people like you. The only problem with the legal profession is that 98% of its members give the rest a bad name.

Congradulations! RP, you are the one who has dreams and pursued it! this will be an inspiring for many of us

Ahhhh Sweetie,

That is great news and I can't think of anyone who deserves it more. I am SO SO happy for you! You made this happen, RC. You fought for your dream and you made it a reality! I always knew there was a strong, determined young lady inside of you just waiting for the right time to emerge in all her splendid glory! :bunny::bunny::bunny:

I wish you were here so that I could give you a BIG,BIG hug!! You, rock, RC!!!

Luck be with you, my sweet, now, at the start of your new life and forever!

A cyber hug for you.

Marlena

• Author
RecordProducer
RP, you are the one who has dreams
I sure have a lot of dreammmmmmmmmzzzzzzzz... :laugh: Thanks, LB.

I am SO SO happy for you!
I know, Darling. I was just about to email you the news, but you heard it already. Thank you. :love:

Let's wait until she graduates before we pop the champagne.
Why? You can celebrate admission, too. You can celebrate anything that you feel as your personal success. If we have to wait for the next step to say "Cheers" then all we would do in life is reppress our excitement and wait for the next big thing. :D

I want to enjoy this day. This is probably the most joy I will ever get from my law career! :laugh: (other than you carrying my books :p)

Thank you, captain Nemo. :)

Wow, RP, I'm not at all surprised. You are not someone to lie back and let life happen, MAKE it happen!

Good luck to you and your boys. Will you be starting in the fall? I know you still have outstanding applications, and I believe you will have a choice to make as far as which school to attend.

I'm also curious if you have any notion of what type of law you think you might prefer to practice. Of course that may change during your studies, but do you feel drawn to a particular area as of now?

Congratulations! Acceptance is quite an accomplishment in itself.

Congratulations! This IS quite an achievement just by itself. Coming from what you have and being where you are is more than most of us can say that we have done.

While I would never be a lawyer, I can see the attraction. I have a couple of cousins who are lawyers and for some reason they enjoy it. But yes, there are alot of long hours.

As has been said though, now that you are accepted, the work begins.

I wish you the best as always. As your "family," our duty is to tell you the good and the bad about what you do. You get to choose what fits and take it from there.

Good luck.

• Author
RecordProducer

Thank you very much, guys. :)

I don't know yet which law I'd like to prcatice, DDL. Maybe business or family law.

It might currently be late in the application process, hence slight disadvantagous to send out application now. However, you should consider sending out few more application to some tier 3 law schools or some reputable tier 4 law schools to give yourself more options. You want to have the option to choose a school not only based on cost, future employment potential, but also on attrition rate.

Keep in mind that low ranked schools (a big chunk of tier 4 law schools) have high drop out rate and a lot of them are not voluntarily, but "weed out" by the law school. The last thing you want is one year waisted, $$$ in debt, and being labled as a law school drop out.

What law school you graduated from doesn't matter at all 10 years from now is DEFINATELY NOT true.

There are some decent tier 4 law schools and they are worth attending if you have your goals set and the price is right due to scholarship and/or in-state tuition.

Sorry, but I also agree that it doesn't matter what law school you graduated from.

Also, it's not true that you have to work ungodly hours. Both my ex-H and my H are lawyers and work regular hours. If you work for a DA's office for example, like when my H started out, he worked normal work hours. He did fine. Now, he has his own practice and works normal hours. (He started his own practice in May of 2007). But before that he worked for a private practice (not his own) and had regular hours. In fact he had a LOT of flexibility as he was not salaried but paid a percentage of billable hours. He did great and it worked out really well.

Congrats, RP! That's a HUGE accomplishment and I knew you could do it.

• Author
RecordProducer

Thanks, SS, GALT, and Touche. :)

Sorry, but I also agree that it doesn't matter what law school you graduated from.
Everything matters, but the chance for going to a top law school is similar to the chance of being born with a perfect face and body, ie. there's a limit in our predisposed capabilities. I would certainly love to go to a dream school and get a dream job, but I have to be aware of my own potential. My goal is to explore and develop MY own abilities to the maximum, not to reach the universal notion of success. I am what I am and that's the material I have to work with. After all, there is more to life than money and prestige. Not only that, but the people who chase those two will never be happy even when they achieve all their goals. So I am trying to keep in mind what's really important in life.

Also, it's not true that you have to work ungodly hours. Both my ex-H and my H are lawyers and work regular hours. If you work for a DA's office for example, like when my H started out, he worked normal work hours. He did fine. Now, he has his own practice and works normal hours. (He started his own practice in May of 2007). But before that he worked for a private practice (not his own) and had regular hours. In fact he had a LOT of flexibility as he was not salaried but paid a percentage of billable hours. He did great and it worked out really well.

If one spends the extra $100K of income on luxury items, they have wasted hours of their precious time - that they could have spent with their families - to feed their ill egos with expensive "junk food." The real food for the soul is when you find deep and pure meaning in everything you do. I would feel like an awful mother if I would sacrifice the time with my kids to earn extra bucks. I wouldn't be doing it for THEM; it would be a selfish act of greed. There will be time when they go to college for me to switch to a highly paid job position to pay for their college. Before that time, I am first a mother, then everything else. That's a three-shift job that I can't quit. :love:

Congrats, RP! That's a HUGE accomplishment and I knew you could do it.
That's cuz you're my sister and you're biased! :laugh::p

I respect your attitude and views on motherhood, RP. You're right on the money (hee hee, pardon the pun) in all that you had to say about that. My H can work 60 and 70 hours and we can have a bigger house and I can buy $400 shoes if I wanted to. But we value other things over the material things...like our time together. I don't need those things...I need and want my H and our son wants and needs his father.

Of course, I'm a biased, little sis! Of course I am. But you're worthy of that bias. You are. I'm so proud of you. You have a lot of strength.

Keep in mind that low ranked schools (a big chunk of tier 4 law schools) have high drop out rate and a lot of them are not voluntarily, but "weed out" by the law school. The last thing you want is one year waisted, $$$ in debt, and being labled as a law school drop out.

I hope you keep that in mind when it comes down to choosing a school. Some of them have as high as 25%-40% weed out and drop out rate.

Edited by StillSame
HokeyReligions

CONGRATS! Its wonderful to be moving forward again, isn't it! You'll be a great attorney (better not see you in a TV ad suing some drug company, or chasing ambulances tho!)

I hope you keep that in mind when it comes down to choosing a school. Some of them have as high as 25%-40% weed out and drop out rate.

This is very true.

RP - just promise me you won't go to a low ranking school and also incur huge student loans. If you go to a lower-tier school, go to the one that gives you a scholarship. Okay? :)

I am sooo happy for you... Congratulations!

You'll do just fine... good luck! You must be proud of you!

:bunny::bunny::bunny::bunny::bunny:

Being the optimist that I am, this must mean that they have a 60 - 75% completion rate. :)

they'll weed you out of any school if you do poor enough. And her chosing a higher tiered school over a lower one isnt going to really change her chances of failing out. You should go to the school thats right for you. If location doesn't matter and you cant tell the difference between two school then yes pick the better ranked one. Scholarships can be hard to keep so dont let that weigh to heavily on your decision as you may lose it.

• Author
RecordProducer

Hokey, Lizzie, and everyone, thanks. :)

I don't understand how this affects me. Are you trying to make the following connection:

high drop-out rate => dumb student body => less rigorous program => less prestigious faculty => bad school?

I believe this is true, but I don't need to look for their drop-out rate in order to conclude this. All I have to do is look at the other statistics: bar-passage rate, employment, median LSAT/GPA stats, and the like. The school that accepted me has a high bar passage rate.

Many people lose their motivation anytime between the application process and graduation. I know a person who got accepted into a tier-two law school and never attended it. I would assume the loss of motivation occurs even more frequently once people face the rigor of the program. Besides, 4T schools accept many students with very low LSAT scores and GPA's, especially since the ABA (read: the government) started insisting on enrolling minority students as part of their admission policy. These students have the green light in the admission process with very low credentials, but once in law school, their abilities show. In other words, the government wants to give them a chance, but it's up to them to succeed in law school. Fortunately, most of them do succeed.

Of course, a school whose median LSAT is 148 (less than the 50th percentile) will have a high number of unmotivated students with limited capabilities.

RP - just promise me you won't go to a low ranking school and also incur huge student loans. If you go to a lower-tier school, go to the one that gives you a scholarship. Okay? :)
I promise. :)

they'll weed you out of any school if you do poor enough

Indeed, anyone who would be kicked out of a 4T school within six months, would be kicked out of a top school within six minutes. :laugh:

I was wondering what SS had in mind when she/he wrote the post, so I tried to compare it to a high school. If 30% of school X drop out by the end of the second year, you'd guess that it's not a decent suburban school for the yuppies' kids, right?

In your typical inner-city HS, half the boys deal crack and half the girls have 2.7 kids by the age of 17 (the stats are improvised for the purpose of dramatization). The thing is ABA accredited law schools are not in this category; they don't want these people in their institutions. And if somehow, some of them wander into the halls of a 4T law school, the deans make sure that their legal careers end before they put a stain on the school's reputation.

Weeding out is a process of keeping up with the demands of the legal profession. They don't want losers in the field. It's similar to the medical profession: the AMA (The American Medical Association) doesn't want doctors who aren't good, because they all have to treat patients and they must meet the highest standards.

Edited by RecordProducer